DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The Flaming Lips cover "I Am the Walrus" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/597614-flaming-lips-cover-i-am-walrus.html)

Matt 12-27-11 11:27 AM

The Flaming Lips cover "I Am the Walrus"

Offered without comment

Violets Dyed 12-27-11 03:47 PM

Re: The Flaming Lips cover "I Am the Walrus"

Boy it sure has been a long time since these guys released a record. There last couple releases were very hit and miss in my opinion.

Supermallet 12-27-11 05:06 PM

Man, what the fuck happened to The Flaming Lips? Up through Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots their music was often brilliant, and when not, at least interesting. Everything after Yoshimi has been a laborious pain to get through.

Jason 12-27-11 07:40 PM

This is just awful. Why do bands insist on covering Beatles songs that were a) heavily dependent on studio production tricks and b) heavily influenced by psychedelic drugs? Come Together is the most obvious example, but this certainly fits the bill as something that should be best left alone.

And let's be honest, it's not a very good song to start with.

Dan 12-28-11 09:48 AM

Yeah, this is bad...
I'm one of the few who actually liked Embryonic and their Dark Side of the Moon covers, though.

Throwing Copper 12-28-11 09:58 AM

I thought you guys were being too harsh............then I listened to the song.

What a steaming pile of shit.

cungar 12-28-11 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 11057163)
I thought you guys were being too harsh............then I listened to the song.

What a steaming pile of shit.

You should hear their album long cover of Dark Side of the Moon. :yack:

Ringmaster 12-28-11 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11056628)
Man, what the fuck happened to The Flaming Lips? Up through Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots their music was often brilliant, and when not, at least interesting. Everything after Yoshimi has been a laborious pain to get through.

Call me crazy, but I liked this cover. Although I agree that most of their post "yoshimi" stuff has been really hard to digest and "yoshimi" is coming up on its 10th anniversary too.

dom56 12-28-11 12:00 PM

I thought Oasis did a good version of the song. A little too long for my taste, Liam is still an asshole.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_urcKouwmz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

palebluedot 12-28-11 04:12 PM

^ that was truly terrible...I prefer the Flaming Lips version and that one is is an absolute music abortion.

Supermallet 12-28-11 05:34 PM

Oasis :lol:

CRM114 12-28-11 09:27 PM

They are just fucking around with a cover. Not really sure what you'd expect.

As for their post-Yoshimi stuff, it happens a lot. You release excellent albums like Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi and you are never able to follow them up. Doesn't mean their new stuff is shit. Although I may use that word to describe Embryonic. ;) (Dark Side is a novelty. I think it's cool that they do off the wall stuff that they enjoy.)

Supermallet 12-29-11 02:28 PM

Dark Side was unlistenable. Embryonic and At War With The Mystics did nothing for me. I'm not saying these albums are shit because they're not as good as Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi (or Clouds Taste Metallica or further back than that), but rather because I think they're shit.

sauce07 12-29-11 07:20 PM

Dark Side grew on me, I listened to it a couple times this past fall and enjoyed it more than when it was released. Embryonic never clicked with me, just a lot of noise.

cdollaz 12-29-11 09:01 PM

I like Embryonic better than anything else they have done.

auto 12-29-11 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 11058880)
I like Embryonic better than anything else they have done.

I wouldn't go that far, but I thought it was a solid release from these guys. Surprised it isn't better received here.

The only LP I could've done without is Mystics.

auto 12-29-11 09:27 PM

Have to admit though that their Transmissions through Yoshimi run will never be topped. Five solid albums in a row.

foofighters7 12-31-11 10:21 AM

^
WTH?

Mods need to contact... Mod about having multiple accounts.

CRM114 01-03-12 08:01 AM

I like Mystics except for Mr. Ambulance Driver.