DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Aimee Mann --- Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/596433-aimee-mann-discussion-thread.html)

Daytripper 08-15-02 09:22 AM

Aimee Mann --- Discussion Thread

I didn't even know the lady had a new album in the works. I looked at her official website just a few weeks ago and it said nothing about it. I get an e-mail from Tower Records announcing it along with two links to two songs not on the album (which are SPECTACULAR!) I can't believe those two songs didn't make the final cut. Really looking forward to the new album. Aimee is one of my all-time favorites. And I have everything she's done.

Daytripper 08-15-02 09:35 AM

Fans! Just found out....You can download the entire album for free on her website. Go!!!

http://www.aimeemann.com/main.html

Decker 08-15-02 10:02 AM

Yup, gotta love Aimee! I'm really looking forward to this album. I'm emailing deepdiscountCD.com and asking why they carry every one of her albums except this new one. I hope it's an oversight. Anyone who's interested in hasseling them as well, please fire off an email to : [email protected].
I also love that the whole album is available to download. How cool is that? :cool:

Decker 08-15-02 10:15 AM

BTW: it looks like you can get those 2 extra songs by preordering the album from her site at $13.99 + $3 shipping. Do you know any other promotion to get them?

Chrisedge 08-15-02 10:17 AM

Saw her last night, (John Doe opened) She was really good!

Does anyone know her stance on taping? ;)

mdc3000 08-15-02 10:38 AM

can't wait for this album...

MATT

RolloTomasi 08-15-02 12:42 PM

For those of you who haven't listened to the album yet, you're in for a treat. I'm not sure if it's better than Bachelor No. 2 yet, and no songs really stand out like "Save Me" from Magnolia (my all-time favorite Aimee Mann song), but then again, I had to listen to BN.2 half a dozen times to fall in love with it. Although "It's Not" seems to be close...

Daytripper 08-15-02 01:45 PM

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
For those of you who haven't listened to the album yet, you're in for a treat. I'm not sure if it's better than Bachelor No. 2 yet, and no songs really stand out like "Save Me" from Magnolia (my all-time favorite Aimee Mann song), but then again, I had to listen to BN.2 half a dozen times to fall in love with it. Although "It's Not" seems to be close...
Hi Rollo, do you have Aimee's other solo albums? Or even Til Tuesday? The only album she's ever done that I never *loved* was the first Til Tuesday. A few good tunes, but overall, not great (IMO). "Welcome Home" was a heaps better for me. And then their last, "Everything's Different Now". Which I thought was just brilliant. It took me a while to get into her first solo album, "Whatever". But I have grown to love that. I loved "I'm With Stupid" the moment I first heard it and played the s-h-i-t out of it. I also taped that CD for more friends than I can count. Everyone I played it for just had to have a copy. Of course "Magnolia" was sublime. And I also enjoyed "Bachelor no. 2" the moment I first bought that as well. Her track record is damn near flawless for me. And I personally feel she's the best female songwriter going in the last 15 or more years. She and Liz Phair are my two favorites. Side note, Aimee's husband Michael Penn is producing Liz's new album. Can't wait!!

Decker 08-15-02 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper

. I loved "I'm With Stupid" the moment I first heard it and played the s-h-i-t out of it. I also taped that CD for more friends than I can count

I feel the same way. I'll literally never forget the first time I heard that album. I was at a local Tower records near school and saw this album featured at a listening station, so I popped on the headphones. I had heard a glowing review from some egghead on VH! and wanted to see what the fuss was about. Half way through track one (Long Shot), I was reaching for he CD, by track two (Choice in the Matter) I had decided to puchase the album. Never regretted it, that very album is next to me in my desk here.

She and Liz Phair are my two favorites. Side note, Aimee's husband Michael Penn is producing Liz's new album. Can't wait!!
I felt the same way. I told my sister about Aimee (she originally turnd me on to Liz), but she hated "Stupid". There's no accounting for taste :rolleyes: I think both women are amazingly talented and have a lot in common (not just their penchant for using the "F word" in deeply personal songs).
BTW: Time Magazine gave Lost in Space a rave review this week! :up:

Daytripper 08-15-02 02:50 PM

Cool story about Aimee. I went to see her in D.C. at the 9:30 Club for the "I'm With Stupid" tour. Now, I'm guessing the 9:30 club holds anywhere close to 1000-1200 people. I get there and there are only like 40 people there. So sad. I felt so bad for Aimee. All I kept thinking was "How could any singer/artist play to a near empty room?". By the time Aimee took the stage, there were maybe 150-200 people there. Maybe. But since I got ther first, I was right up against the stage, leaning over on it. My cold beer next to me. Aimee looked down and sang to everyone (personally). It was very cool. At one point, she asked the crowd what songs they would like for her to sing. Well, I shouted out "(Believed You Were) Lucky". My all-time favorite 'Til Tuesday track. But she ended up singing "The Other End (Of the Telescope)" in which she actually forgot the words. Started to laugh. Asked the crowd for help. I nearly fought the guy next to me for the microphone she was handing down to the people in the front. He got to it first (DAMN!). She also told a pretty cute story prior to the song. She said that she and Elvis Costello did that song together on the album and that she heard he was pissed off at her for some reason. She went on to say "I have no idea why? Oh well...screw it!". It was very charming. She is actually. She is just so strangely beautiful to me. Happy ending to this story? A few years later? The tour for "Bachelor no #2"? She sold out three nights at the Birchmere in Alexandria. The place is huge and I have no idea how many people it holds. Good for you Aimee!! :)

Decker 08-15-02 03:27 PM

Saw her on the same tour in Anaheim. She was very cool and quite chatty. Managed to diss both Bob Dylan (unfriendly) and Springsteen (love handles) in the same show. There were probably 200 people as well. I got to watch her at the sound check as well, which was nice. I'm glad she's become more popular, but there was something cool about being a champion for an unknown talent as well. I'll miss that a little.

Daytripper 08-15-02 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Decker
Saw her on the same tour in Anaheim. She was very cool and quite chatty. Managed to diss both Bob Dylan (unfriendly) and Springsteen (love handles) in the same show. There were probably 200 people as well. I got to watch her at the sound check as well, which was nice. I'm glad she's become more popular, but there was something cool about being a champion for an unknown talent as well. I'll miss that a little.
I do too Decker. But she was so royally screwed over by the industry (record companies), that I'm glad to see her emerge as a stronger person for it. And finally getting the recognition she so richly deserves. I still think she's the same person (genuine, etc). Just has a bigger following than say during the "I'm With Stupid" era.

The Antipodean 08-15-02 04:39 PM

I had no idea a new one was on the way from her, either. Anyone know anything about the rumor that she might be doing an album with her husband, Michael Penn? (Who's even more underrated than Aimee is, IMHO, one of the better singer/songwriters out there these days -- I really wish I'd gotten to see the two of them on tour together.)

Decker 08-15-02 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I had no idea a new one was on the way from her, either. Anyone know anything about the rumor that she might be doing an album with her husband, Michael Penn? (Who's even more underrated than Aimee is, IMHO, one of the better singer/songwriters out there these days -- I really wish I'd gotten to see the two of them on tour together.)
Yeah, I read something like that last month in an independent music magazine with Aimee on the cover (cool, but still not worth the $7 cover price to me). She said that they tried to record a concert album last year, but encountered creative differences with the producer, or something like that (she wasn't too specific). She said that if they found someone who they could work with, that they still might do it in the future (but I'm not holding my breath). I couldn't understand what the big deal was; it seems to me that you set up several recorders, plug them into the stage amps and press REC. But I'm a doctor not a record producer (to paraphrase Bones), so what do I know?

Andalusia 08-15-02 05:32 PM

I caught a Till Tuesday show when they were in their final days. Aimee didn't seem too happy, but a good performance nonetheless. But I think she's only gotten better since she went solo. And "Bachelor no. 2" was one of my fav albums from 2000. Can't wait to hear the new one...

Aimee Mann trivia: In "Big Lebowski", she was the nihilist girl who parted with her toe.

Chrisedge 08-15-02 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Decker

I couldn't understand what the big deal was; it seems to me that you set up several recorders, plug them into the stage amps and press REC.

Doesn't sound that far off from what I did.

I was leaning on the stage last night and about 3 feet off of center. In Anaheim, CA.

Aghama 08-15-02 08:57 PM

She rocked in "Time Stand Still"

Daytripper 08-16-02 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
She rocked in "Time Stand Still"
What is "Time Stand Still"?

RolloTomasi 08-16-02 01:58 PM

A song by Rush that Aimee Mann sang vocals to. I haven't heard it, but I hear it's really good.

Aghama 08-16-02 02:44 PM

A song by Rush that Aimee Mann sang vocals to.
Way back in '87. Still the only time I've heard her voice. :)

Decker 08-16-02 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
Way back in '87. Still the only time I've heard her voice. :)
Your loss my friend. BTW how could any person be alive in the mid-80s and not have heard "Voices Carry" like a hundred times?

LiquidSky 08-19-02 08:22 AM

I saw Aimee about five years ago. The club was packed to capacity and she did take a few requests from the audience (one of which was "No One is Watching You Now ") :)

Eeyore 08-19-02 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Andalusia
Aimee Mann trivia: In "Big Lebowski", she was the nihilist girl who parted with her toe.
Are you serious? I never noticed that, but that's awesome if that's true--I'll have to pull out the movie and look. Thanks Daytripper for the link to the album--I just pre-ordered it from her site with the bonus CD. It shows confidence that your album is great (which it is) if you put it up for all to listen and then buy. Aimee Mann is different from most artists that I really like, but she's definitely one of my favorites.

Rico Diablo 08-22-02 11:00 AM

A song by Rush that Aimee Mann sang vocals to. I haven't heard it, but I hear it's really good.
More Aimee Mann trivia:

That was the first (and only?) time anyone else sang a vocal on any Rush song. Not sure if anyone has done it since.

Decker 08-28-02 12:00 PM

Picked up the CD at Border's yesterday and it came packaged with the 3-song bonus CD for $12.99. I'm not sure if the bonus CD is available everywhere or not.