Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Occupy Nickelback: Now THAT'S a petition worth signing! (also, new album on Nov 21st)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Occupy Nickelback: Now THAT'S a petition worth signing! (also, new album on Nov 21st)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Occupy Nickelback: Now THAT'S a petition worth signing! (also, new album on Nov 2

Originally Posted by Drexl
It still doesn't make sense. The figures vary by source, but Wikipedia's chart has Led Zeppelin at either 300 or 200 million, Queen at 300 or 150 million, and ABBA at 300 or 260 million. Then you go further down and see Pink Floyd, AC/DC, and the Rolling Stones at 200 million each, the Bee Gees at 200 or 120 million, and U2 and Genesis at 150 million each.

I just can't believe Nickelback has outsold any of those groups. I'd be skeptical, even if they went by download sales as opposed to physical media.
Here's the official line being hoisted by the bands publicity machine. Notice the number of qualifications in this statement:

"With over 30 Million albums sold, NICKELBACK is second only behind the Beatles as a top selling non-domestic act in the USA between the years of 2000 and 2010."

The original statement

Originally Posted by big whoppa
They have plenty of fans though as they are second only to the Beatles for a foreign band in terms of popularity.
is patently false. They don't even have the best selling album of any year in the decade.

Best-selling albums by year in the United States

2000s

Year[I]

Performing artist(s)

Nationality

Album

Ref.

*NSYNC

United States

No Strings Attached

Linkin Park

United States

Hybrid Theory

Eminem

United States

The Eminem Show

50 Cent

United States

Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Usher

United States

Confessions

Mariah Carey

United States

The Emancipation of Mimi

Various artists

High School Musical Soundtrack

Josh Groban

United States

Noël

Lil Wayne

United States

Tha Carter III

Taylor Swift

United States

Fearless

Last edited by cungar; 11-10-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Occupy Nickelback: Now THAT'S a petition worth signing! (also, new album on Nov 2

As an Albertan, I would like to apologize to the rest of the world for Nickelback.
Old 11-10-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^

No Deal!
Old 11-10-11, 12:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
As an Albertan, I would like to apologize to the rest of the world for Nickelback.
Ditto. We could have stopped them... we just didn't think it'd ever get this bad.

As a Canadian, I'll extend the apology for Celine Dion and Justin Bieber.
Old 11-10-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Something has to suck about Alberta. It certainly isn't going to be the beautiful landscapes, natural resources, culture, national parks etc...
Old 11-10-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Here's the official line being hoisted by the bands publicity machine. Notice the number of qualifications in this statement:

"With over 30 Million albums sold, NICKELBACK is second only behind the Beatles as a top selling non-domestic act in the USA between the years of 2000 and 2010."
So they're only counting album sales over the last ten years in the US, and even over that period, they were outsold by the Beatles.

Yeah, that's not so good.
Old 11-10-11, 01:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

NO! They're SUPERstars! Don't you understand! What is wrong with you people??
Old 11-10-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
So they're only counting album sales over the last ten years in the US, and even over that period, they were outsold by the Beatles.

Well it would be impressive if it weren't for the fact that Brit Rock has basically been ignored for the last decade. Bands like Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Libertines and Bloc Party have been huge overseas but never really cracked big time the US.

So other than that, they're basically using the fact that they happen to be from Canada and they happened to sell a lot of albums the last 10 years making them almost as big as the Beatles.
Old 11-10-11, 04:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the 'Why People are Signing' section on that petition page.
Some of my favorites....

"NICKELBACK TORE MY FAMILY APART"

"I am a bears fan, and despise the lions, but nobody deserves this. Especially on thanksgiving."

"I imagine hell is nothing more than an endless Nickleback concert. That fear is what keeps me from doing bad things."

"I would like to keep my food down on Thanksgiving."

"Because Creed totally sucks, man!
Oh, wait..."

"I don't want to be sitting around with my family and have to listen to even more annoying people."

"The suicide rate in Detroit is high enough"

"Because fuck nickleback, thats why."
Old 11-10-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My main issue with Nickelback has always been the fact they've been shoved down our throats as an "alternative" band and that for a long time, the local alt-rock station played them, not so much now. But I remember a time when the DJ's would say on message boards they wouldn't play (actual alternative bands) because they didn't want to scare off Nickelback fans... and I think that's total BS because they represent everything grunge was supposed to do away with. I think that's sad because it'd be no different than if we went back in time 25 years and an "alternative" station wouldn't touch R.E.M., The Cure or Depeche Mode because they would be afraid a Journey or Bon Jovi fan might not like it.

Last edited by nothingfails; 11-10-11 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-11-11, 02:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni

They were outsold by catalog sales for a band that hadn't released an album of new music in 30-40 years. They were outsold by a catalog comprised of CD's that had been unaltered since the 1980's with the exception of 2009-2010 when we finally got remasters.
Old 11-11-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I like them. Their last couple of CD's were kick ass rock. For all the shit that has come out post grunge their sound has at least evolved for that type of shit to basically 80's style head banging music. And that is alright with me. Flame away.
Old 11-11-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-11-11, 10:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, but I like them. They remind me of early 80's hard rock. I suppose everyone here hates Wolfmother too.
Old 11-11-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I like them. Their last couple of CD's were kick ass rock. For all the shit that has come out post grunge their sound has at least evolved for that type of shit to basically 80's style head banging music. And that is alright with me. Flame away.
Actually if someone still harbors hate for Nirvana for "taking my Warrant and Nelson away" (grunge did not kill hair metal... hair metal killed itself with all the poodle hair pop bands that came out in 1989-1991 that made the genre succeptable to burning out and being vulnerable once the next thing came along), they are the perfect demographic for Nickelback.
Old 11-11-11, 02:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nickelback are the worst type of corporate rock where they craft every single song to be radio friendly for a certain demographic, that's why all their songs sound the same and that's why anyone who has a sense of musical integrity think they suck.

Old 11-11-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xraybies
Nickelback are the worst type of corporate rock where they craft every single song to be radio friendly for a certain demographic, that's why all their songs sound the same and that's why anyone who has a sense of musical integrity think they suck.

I agree. Some people try to say people have a problem with "good ol' rock n' roll" but that isn't the issue, Nickelback are just generic and as vanilla and safe as anything that comes out of a Simon Cowell talent show (is it any wonder that Daughtry sounds exactly like Nickelback's music?). They make housewife and soccer mom music for women who consider Maroon 5 too soft and Coldplay too lyrically complex. They fill that niche that Creed used to pander to, and who still follows Bon Jovi.

You cannot begin to put these AC hacks in the same category as Wolfmother or Mastodon as modern day hard rockers. Those two bands actually have a set of balls and don't just make music to appeal to Adult Contemporary radio stations that play Celine Dion and Matchbox 20, like Nickelback does. They get more airplay on the local easy listening station than they do rock at this point, same with Daughtry.
Old 11-11-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe they have over 50,000 signatures and Detroit is still having them play. I hope they get booed off the stage.
Old 11-11-11, 04:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nothingfails
and Coldplay too lyrically complex.
There can't be a single person on the planet over the age of 5 that finds Coldplay lyrically complex. Right?? I submit Yellow as Exhibit A (early Coldplay) and Paradise as Exhibit B (brand new Coldplay):

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah, they were all yellow
When she was just a girl
She expected the world
But it flew away from her reach so
She ran away in her sleep
and dreamed of
Para-para-paradise, Para-para-paradise, Para-para-paradise
Every time she closed her eyes
Old 11-11-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
There can't be a single person on the planet over the age of 5 that finds Coldplay lyrically complex. Right?? I submit Yellow as Exhibit A (early Coldplay) and Paradise as Exhibit B (brand new Coldplay):
keep in mind we're talking about people who love Nickelback. Coldplay's Paradise may as well be Radiohead's Kid A.
Old 11-12-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Can't believe they have over 50,000 signatures and Detroit is still having them play. I hope they get booed off the stage.
at thinking that is even a significant number. Thanksgiving Day games are some of the best viewed of the year. Maybe if they got several million someone would pay attention. 50K+ is nothing.
Old 11-12-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should throw, no, shoot frozen turkeys at them.
Old 11-12-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard their new song on VH1 yesterday, "When We Stand Together". If this is rock, then you are likely more into country than rock (especially if you're still bitching about grunge in 2011) at the present. This sounds more like something Rascal Flatts or Keith Urban would do than any rock artist (besides Daughtry, who have always been a Nickelclone anyways).
Old 11-14-11, 03:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by xraybies

Their songs do all sound the same, but I will give them credit for one song. I can't even remember the name of, but the video had a bunch of hot chicks at a pool party. Not only was the video great because of the hot chicks, but the song actually sounded different! It was astonishing. It was a good old fashioned "fun time in the summertime" sort of song--unabashed pop. I think they did a better job at being totally pop then they ever did trying to be grungy alt. Anyone remember this song? I think it came out in '09 or '10.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-16-11 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-14-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I can give them credit for actually making a decade-long career by doing that brand of southern-fried white trash country-rock, just don't play it on "alternative" stations, they are everything alternative rock was rebelling against 20 years ago.

I seem to recall a video some years back on VH1 where some guy was sitting on a toilet lipsynching to their song, ever since then I always associate that with Nickelback LOL

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.