Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Occupy Nickelback: Now THAT'S a petition worth signing! (also, new album on Nov 21st)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Occupy Nickelback: Now THAT'S a petition worth signing! (also, new album on Nov 21st)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 05:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2224516/
With U.S. Thanksgiving approaching, some Detroit Lions fans are telling Nickelback to stuff it.

A petition is circulating online to prevent the divisive Canadian rock group from performing at halftime of Detroit's Nov. 24 holiday showdown against the Green Bay Packers.

The letter slams the Lions for choosing “such an awful band” to perform and poses the question: “Detroit is home to so many great musicians and they chose Nickelback?!?!?!”

As of late afternoon on Thursday the petition had more than 6,500 signatures, a number that was multiplying rapidly as the story spread to news outlets around the world.

Many signatures simply decreed Nickelback as the “worst band ever,” while others pointed to the long musical history of the city that spawned Motown, Bob Seger and Eminem.

“Haven't the good people of Detroit been through enough?” read one comment.

It's actually the second time in recent months that a potential Nickelback performance has elicited an outcry from sports fans.

In August, two Winnipeg Free Press critics penned an open letter to the NHL requesting that Nickelback be excluded from the splashy ceremony surrounding the return of the city's Jets franchise.

Long a popular target for derision, Nickelback has nonetheless sold nearly 50 million albums worldwide and scooped up 12 Juno Awards.

The Hanna, Alta., rockers are scheduled to release their seventh studio album, Here and Now, on Nov. 21.
Detroit... there's finally a reason to kinda like you.
Old 11-03-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Occupy Nickelback: Now THAT'S a petition worth signing! (also, new album on Nov 2

Unfortunately the petition seems to have been expunged.
Old 11-03-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Occupy Nickelback: Now THAT'S a petition worth signing! (also, new album on Nov 2

Thank goodness, I found a link to the petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...nksgiving-game
Old 11-03-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't get all the hate towards them Ive liked every one of their albums and they sound great live IMO
Old 11-03-11, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait... they have more than one song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2pXfAK8r1k
Old 11-03-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I like em.
*shrugs*
Old 11-03-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Round
I don't get all the hate towards them Ive liked every one of their albums and they sound great live IMO
Old 11-03-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nickelback blows. I saw this on the news, love seeing it get picked up by the news networks.
Old 11-03-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're a female... right?

Coz you really had me going for a minute there.
Old 11-03-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Over 20,000 signatories against these jagoffs. Keep it comin'.
Old 11-04-11, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Hate football, but hate Nickelback even more. Wife and I signed it. On local news facebook page, they posted this story, and the only people who dont understand why this is happening and like Nickelback are all women. The comments about how they know how to rock out, are pretty funny.
Old 11-04-11, 01:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2224516/

Detroit... there's finally a reason to kinda like you.
Don't get too ahead of yourself. I've read a number of comments from Detroit/Michigan residents that claim ICP would have been a better choice then Nickelback.
Old 11-04-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Nickelback is music for people who don't listen to music.
Old 11-04-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's music for people who watch Entertainment Tonight, eat at Applebee's and buy their clothes at Wal Mart. Heard of Consumer Electronics? Nickleback is Consumer Music.
Old 11-04-11, 05:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Vryce
Don't get too ahead of yourself. I've read a number of comments from Detroit/Michigan residents that claim ICP would have been a better choice then Nickelback.
Old 11-05-11, 02:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ICP are an endless source of entertainment. Granted, I'm laughing at them, not with them, but they are a better choice than Nickelback.
Old 11-05-11, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On another music message board that was discussing this, myself and a few other people were labeled "rock snobs" by two people (one who has a Nickelback avatar, and the other a JUSTIN BIEBER fan) and saying that all we need to do is ignore them. Its kinda hard when Nickelback is one of the bands that made terrestrial radio unbearable. Groups like them, Daughtry and the rap/metal stuff from a few years prior put "rock radio" in an abyss that its just taking them now to finally dig themselves out of.

The Bieber fan also pulled "they have a string of multi-platinum sellers" as if in 2011 (or pretty much any year after 1994) anyone over the age of 12 (but then again, Bieber fan) actually puts any stock in how much someone sells. Of course Nickelback sells in the millions, they are so watered down and safe that you don't have to use a single brain cell to listen to their music. I find it funny some "alternative rock" stations play them, Nickelback are no closer to alternative rock than Bon Jovi or Journey were.
Old 11-05-11, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
ICP are an endless source of entertainment. Granted, I'm laughing at them, not with them, but they are a better choice than Nickelback.
hell, Right Said Fred would be a better choice than Nickelback
Old 11-05-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll take Nickleback over Black Eyed Peas any day.
Old 11-05-11, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Well Black Eyed Peas do have something going for them........you just have to put a bag over her head.
Old 11-05-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
It's music for people who watch Entertainment Tonight, eat at Applebee's and buy their clothes at Wal Mart. Heard of Consumer Electronics? Nickleback is Consumer Music.
This..This is true.
Old 11-05-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Tough crowd. I'm not too familiar with their recent albums but I enjoyed Silver Side and Long Road well enough...
Old 11-05-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They enjoyed your money as well. They spent it on tight fitting shirts with glitter on them as well as a round of perms for the gents.
Old 11-05-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Signed
Old 11-05-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Don't get too ahead of yourself. I've read a number of comments from Detroit/Michigan residents that claim OCP would have been a better choice then Nickelback.
Fixed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.