DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Smashing Pumpkins Gish and Siamese Dream Re-Issues (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/595664-smashing-pumpkins-gish-siamese-dream-re-issues.html)

superdeluxe 10-19-11 11:16 AM

Smashing Pumpkins Gish and Siamese Dream Re-Issues

The Smashing Pumpkins launch their massive reissue campaign with the release of deluxe versions of their 1991 debut Gish and 1993's Siamese Dream. The reissues are out November 29 in the North America and December 5 internationally, via EMI.

Both albums will be available in single disc and remastered vinyl editions, as well as deluxe versions containing two CDs and a DVD. The second discs contain rare and previously unreleased tracks, while each DVD contains previously unreleased video footage from shows at the Metro in Chicago, from 1990 and 1993 respectively. Billy Corgan has also written track by track commentary for each album.

Next year, EMI will continue the re-release spree with 1995's double album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, the 1996 box set The Aeroplane Flies High, and 1998's Adore. In 2013, we'll see the 2000 albums Machina/the Machines of God and Machina II: the Friends & Enemies of Modern Music. 2013 will also include a best-of set.
http://pitchfork.com/news/44339-the-...ream-reissues/

GISH Deluxe

http://images.skem1.com/client_id_51...oduct_shot.jpg

Disc 1:
1. I am one
2. Siva
3. Rhinoceros
4. Bury me
5. Crush
6. Suffer
7. Snail
8. Tristessa
9. Window paine
10. Daydream

Disc 2:
1. Starla (2011 mix)
2. Siva (Peel session)*
3. Honeyspider (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
4. Hippy Trippy (Crush Music Box demo)
5. Snail (live radio performance)
6. Plume (2011 mix)
7. Bury Me (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
8. Daydream (Old House demo)
9. Tristessa (Sub Pop single / 2011 mix)
10. Girl Named Sandoz (Peel session)*
11. Jesus Is The Sun (Apartment demo)
12. Blue (Gish sessions demo)
13. Smiley (Gish sessions demo)
14. I Am One (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
15. Seam (Suffer / Apartment demo)
16. La Dolly Vita (2011 mix)
17. Pulseczar (Gish sessions demo)*
18. Drown (alternate guitar solo)

All songs previously unreleased except where indicated.*

DVD
Live at The Metro, Chicago, IL 8/25/90
Introduction

1. I am one
2. Snail
3. Rhinoceros
4. Bury Me
5. Tristessa
6. Window Paine
7. Razor
8. Sookie Sookie
9. Godzilla
10. Crush – Acoustic

Siamese Dream Deluxe

http://images.skem1.com/client_id_51...oduct_shot.jpg

Disc 1:

1. Cherub rock
2. Quiet
3. Today
4. Hummer
5. Rocket
6. Disarm
7. Soma
8. Geek U.S.A
9. Mayonaise
10. Spaceboy
11. Silverfuck
12. Sweet sweet
13. Luna

Disc 2:

1. Pissant (siamese sessions rough mix)
2. Siamese dream (broadway rehearsals demo)
3. STP (rehearsal demo)
4. Frail and bedazzled (soundworks demo)
5. Luna (apartment demo)
6. Quiet (bbc session/bc mix)
7. Moleasskiss (soundworks demo)
8. Hello kitty kat (soundworks demo)
9. Today (broadway rehearsal demo)
10. Never let me down again (bbc session)*
11. Apathy’s last kiss (siamese sessions rough mix)
12. Ache (silverfuck rehearsal demo)
13. U.S.A. (soundworks demo)
14. U.S.S.R. (soundworks demo)
15. Spaceboy (acoustic mix)
16. Rocket (rehearsal demo)
17. Disarm (acoustic mix)
18. Soma (instrumental mix)

All songs previously unreleased except where indicated.*

DVD

Live At The Metro, Chicago, 8/14/93
Introduction

1. Rocket
2. Quiet
3. Today
4. Rhinoceros
5. Geek U.S.A.
6. Soma
7. I am one
8. Disarm
9. Spaceboy
10. Starla
11. Cherub rock
12. Bury me
13. Hummer
14. Siva
15. Mayonaise
16. Drown
17. Silverfuck

superdeluxe 10-19-11 11:41 AM

Re: Smashing Pumpkins Gish and Siamese Dream Re-Issues

My old copies are busted, so the upgrade will be nice. Hopefully the prices are decent.

LiquidSky 10-19-11 12:07 PM

I'm in for Gish.

clckworang 10-19-11 12:08 PM

I'll buy the vinyl copies of these. Well, I'll at least buy Gish because I already have Siamese Dream.

Randy Miller III 10-19-11 12:10 PM

I'd love to get both, as long as they're not brick-walled.

starseed1981 10-20-11 12:35 PM

I'm all in for both of those.

auto 10-20-11 08:39 PM

Someone wake me when these are 15 bucks (or less).

UAIOE 10-25-11 09:47 PM

Pre-Ordered.

I got my originals in case Billy decided to mix this badly.

Artman 10-25-11 09:53 PM

Sounds good to me, I could do without the DVD's but looking forward to picking these up.

LiquidSky 10-26-11 07:21 AM

Just pre-ordered Gish.

superdeluxe 10-31-11 04:33 PM

25.34 at Amazon. Not bad for Studio album, disc of rarities and a concert DVD,

brokenhanger 10-31-11 06:15 PM

Now THESE they could have done crazy $100+ box sets for each and I would have been all over them. As it is, I'm more than happy to give them my $50-ish for the pair and another $50 for the vinyl sets.

Supermallet 11-01-11 09:15 AM

I'm (very pleasantly) surprised they're remastering The Aeroplane Flies High.

Labor 11-01-11 04:46 PM

As much as I look forward to owning special editions of 2 of the greatest albums of the 90s (with SD being THE greatest imho), Im probably most looking forward to the Machina/Machina 2 remasters, for a hopefully proper mix of M1, and finally a true final mix for M2 (Real Love on the Greatest Hits CD vs the various versions online is already a huge improvement).

I wonder if Corgan will release them as the double album he originally envisioned...

superdeluxe 11-01-11 11:38 PM

There seems to metro DVDs for every era...hoping we get the final show

brokenhanger 11-02-11 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 10988583)
There seems to metro DVDs for every era...hoping we get the final show

Even moreso than that, I hope we get one of the 'Mellon Collie' warm-up shows on that set. (Soundboard is known to exist but not be out there, not sure about video...but fingers crossed!)

..the shows, of course, being at the Double Door not the Metro. Whoops. In any case, this would be the time to roll them out I'd think.

gerrythedon 11-04-11 11:26 PM

Smashing Pumpkins Reissues Offer 'Massive Upgrade' in Sound, Says Corgan

Billy Corgan isn't one to dwell on the past, preferring to focus on the present and future -- like Smashing Pumpkins' continuing "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope" and next year's "Oceania" studio album. But Corgan says he's found inspiration for those projects through the extensive Pumpkins reissue campaign that kicks off later this month.

"Before I started this process, I would've thought, 'Yeah, this is going to be a little uncomfortable because I'm trying to make this new point at the same time I'm trying to make an old point,'" Corgan tells Billboard.com. "But it's actually been the opposite experience. I've found it's brought a sort of peace to me, because it reminds me of my journey. It's like I look at an old photo and I don't go 'Ugh!' I look at the old photo and go, 'That's good I did that. That's good I went there. That's good I took those chances,' and I can feel compassion for when I did something stupid or said something stupid because I believed in something."

Corgan says that reviewing the Pumpkins' old material for the reissue series "also reminds me, 'You can do this. You have this in you if you really want to.' It reminds me of that kind of passion and that kind of commitment."

Corgan has been fully involved in putting together the reissues, which begin with the Nov. 29 release of 1991's "Gish" and 1993's "Siamese Dream." Both feature remastered (by Bob Ludwig) versions of the original albums and a second disc of rare and unreleased material, while deluxe editions add DVDs of concerts filmed at Chicago's Metro from August 1990 and August 1993, respectively. Corgan says he's particular stoked by the sound on the "Siamese Dream" reissue.

"It's stunning, the quality level. It really recasts it in a different light," Corgan explains. "It's a real massive upgrade in terms of the quality of the album, sonically, that was shocking."

The campaign continues in 2012 with the release of 1995's "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," the 1996 box set "The Aeroplane Flies High" and 1998's "Adore," while 2000's "Machina/The Machines of God" and "Machina II: The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music" will be packaged together in 2013. A best-of retrospective is also due that year.

"We have so much stuff," Corgan gushes. "The beauty of the deal (with EMI) is we can put out anything we want, any way we want it, when we want it. I have complete access to all the archives, and we can do whatever we want. It's crazy." Corgan adds that he's found "tons of weird, crazy stuff that we're going to just give away for free, and there's other stuff we're trying to package in a way that would make it easy for fans who are interested in particular periods. Things we've found that don't fit on the discs we'll put up online, sort of like an online box set." Details for that are currently being worked out.

Corgan does acknowledge that the quality of some of the unreleased material is "dubious," but he's still happy to put it out. "With 20 years on it here or there it does take on a nice documentary feel," he explains. "It's a little less about quality and maybe more about giving insight into a moment." He also cautions, "Because we released so many of our extra songs, we're not sitting on some magic treasure trove of great songs that no one's ever heard. We never made the great lost record or anything like that. It's more an insight into the process, or a different take on something."

He's also found "a couple of half-written songs and things like that where I thought, 'Wow, I can't believe I didn't finish this idea.' It could be cool, under the right circumstances, to maybe finish those, to complete the idea, so we'll see."

Corgan did not, however, engage any of the original Pumpkins -- guitarist James Iha, bassist D'arcy Wretzky or drummer Jimmy Chamberlin -- in the reissue program. "There's no relationship at all," he says. "It's unfortunate, but -- without going into the details -- they've sort of put me in a position where that's the way it is."

The current incarnation of the Smashing Pumpkins launches a European tour on Nov. 2 in Stockholm, Sweden, and will be across the pond until Dec. 9. No release date has been set yet for "Oceania" or for the next "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope" tracks.

BILLBOARD.com

Spiderbite 11-05-11 09:38 AM

I am no Smashing Pumpkins historian or critic so I am just curious how important the other original band members were to the band. It always seemed like Corgan's baby and that he did everything but I didn't know if that was true or not. It seems a shame there is no relationship there at all though.

I don't know whether to pick these up as they come out or wait for a (hopefully) eventual boxset with everything in it.

auto 11-05-11 10:10 AM

I'm doubting they'll be releasing a 30+ disc set to capture all of the material they plan on releasing.

superdeluxe 11-05-11 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 10993129)
I am no Smashing Pumpkins historian or critic so I am just curious how important the other original band members were to the band. It always seemed like Corgan's baby and that he did everything but I didn't know if that was true or not. It seems a shame there is no relationship there at all though.

I don't know whether to pick these up as they come out or wait for a (hopefully) eventual boxset with everything in it.

Honestly I think most fans will acknowledge that Darcy pretty much did not bring much to the actual music, except for maybe being the peacekeeper of the band (is fairly important).

While James was talented, I think the biggest loss is/was Jimmy. He was the heart and soul of the pumpkins. That is why the post original break up of the pumpkins I held out hope for..even with no Darcy or James...But once Jimmy went away..that was kind of it for me in regards to new tours/new music.

Labor 11-05-11 02:19 PM

I would agree about Jimmy, but then again, I would rank Adore as the band's 2nd best album...

Corgan is/was an insanely gifted songwriter, but in the end Im tempted to think that the quality of the original lineup was less a question of who was contributing in addition to him, but moreso the times themselves. The band were always put in a position where they had to prove their success and talent with nearly every album and release.

Doesn't really matter to me how crappy the next song Corgan releases under the SP moniker is, because at the end of the day, he's still the guy who wrote "Geek USA", you know? Nothing will change my opinion of him musically.

dolphinboy 11-05-11 03:40 PM

All these re-issues have such a special meaning to me. It's crazy how much great music came out around '91-'93 when I'd finished college and then grad school. Siamese Dream will always be my favorite Pumpkins album because it's not only great, but it came at a time when my life was changing and this was one of the albums that was part of the soundtrack of those monumental changes.

Still, looking back, I remember so much of the drama and even though I was often very busy, I remember hearing that Billy would basically do all the music himself and that he was extremely difficult to deal with.

I find his quote laughable, because he seems to not have changed much in 20 years. He blames 3 other people for putting him in the position of not being able to have a relationship. It's has to be the 3 of them and it can't possibly be him.

Doesn't change my opinion of the music one bit, but he's one the least likeable characters from that time period.

NORML54601 11-05-11 04:13 PM

I'm in for these. I LOVE the SP of the 90's, but really don't like anything after Adore.

auto 11-05-11 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 10993129)
I am no Smashing Pumpkins historian or critic so I am just curious how important the other original band members were to the band. It always seemed like Corgan's baby and that he did everything but I didn't know if that was true or not. It seems a shame there is no relationship there at all.

Have you heard TheFutureEmbrace? He definitely needs someone to rein him in.

mikelowry 11-06-11 07:08 PM

Siamese Dream is one of the best albums in the 90's (or all time?) so I'm definitely getting this. Also looking forward for the eventual re release of Mellon Collie... next year.