Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Two things I've noticed on a lot of forums

1. I'm shocked at the blatant disrespect for Donna Summer. I thought was genuinely the one disco artist (along with The Bee Gees) that people who hated disco at least had respect for. Bowie called "I Feel Love" one of the greatest songs he ever heard and Springsteen wrote a song for her. I remember rock artists being amongst the people who made comments mourning her passing. Yet you would think she was Rihanna by the way people have crapped on her induction. How quickly people forget that Donna actually made a couple of *rock* albums in the early 80s and even was nominated in that category at the Grammys when she did so. All this time I thought she at least had respect from the "disco sucks" crowd and I'm shocked to see the opposite.

2. hard rock/metal fans bitch the loudest about the snubs, but I think nowadays fans of 80s alternative have earned the right to bitch louder. Okay Kiss and Deep Purple are still snubbed, but Zeppelin, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Rush, etc... are now inductees. For post-punk alternative groups, only R.E.M. have gotten in so far. The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure, Echo And The Bunnymen and Depeche Mode have all recorded albums now considered classics and none of them have been considered for the Hall yet. We can bitch till our ears bleed that Madonna and Public Enemy are in while Kiss is not, but how about The Staples Singers (a group who had neither 1/10th the hits nor the appeal/influence ABBA and Madonna had) being in while The Smiths, a group who were short-lived but every last one of their albums are now considered classics (all four albums plus Louder Than Bombs are on RS's 500 list), haven't even been considered yet? I think the hard rock icons are slowly but surely getting in while the college rock bands of the 80s who are still gaining new fans to this day and appealing to new fans who weren't even alive in their heyday (I'd argue that The Smiths and Joy Division are more popular today than when they were active) keep getting passed over from even making the ballot. Hell, even Peter Gabriel has been around solo since 1977 and yet isn't in and I think that's a travesty.

Last edited by nothingfails; 12-27-12 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-27-12, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone else think it's weird the the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame hardly ever includes musicians that actually play rock and roll ?
Old 12-27-12, 11:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone else think it's weird that people even give a shit about a self-proclaimed rock and roll hall of fame?
Old 12-27-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Two things I've noticed on a lot of forums

1. I'm shocked at the blatant disrespect for Donna Summer. I thought was genuinely the one disco artist (along with The Bee Gees) that people who hated disco at least had respect for. Bowie called "I Feel Love" one of the greatest songs he ever heard and Springsteen wrote a song for her. I remember rock artists being amongst the people who made comments mourning her passing. Yet you would think she was Rihanna by the way people have crapped on her induction. How quickly people forget that Donna actually made a couple of *rock* albums in the early 80s and even was nominated in that category at the Grammys when she did so. All this time I thought she at least had respect from the "disco sucks" crowd and I'm shocked to see the opposite.

2. hard rock/metal fans bitch the loudest about the snubs, but I think nowadays fans of 80s alternative have earned the right to bitch louder. Okay Kiss and Deep Purple are still snubbed, but Zeppelin, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Rush, etc... are now inductees. For post-punk alternative groups, only R.E.M. have gotten in so far. The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure, Echo And The Bunnymen and Depeche Mode have all recorded albums now considered classics and none of them have been considered for the Hall yet. We can bitch till our ears bleed that Madonna and Public Enemy are in while Kiss is not, but how about The Staples Singers (a group who had neither 1/10th the hits nor the appeal/influence ABBA and Madonna had) being in while The Smiths, a group who were short-lived but every last one of their albums are now considered classics (all four albums plus Louder Than Bombs are on RS's 500 list), haven't even been considered yet? I think the hard rock icons are slowly but surely getting in while the college rock bands of the 80s who are still gaining new fans to this day and appealing to new fans who weren't even alive in their heyday (I'd argue that The Smiths and Joy Division are more popular today than when they were active) keep getting passed over from even making the ballot. Hell, even Peter Gabriel has been around solo since 1977 and yet isn't in and I think that's a travesty.
Great post. Esp. agree with 2nd part.
Old 12-27-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

If we're busting out the second tier acts, how about Ratt, Motley Crue, and Poison?
Old 12-27-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have any groups ever declined induction?

Like, suppose KISS finally got the nod, but Gene & Co. said, "You know what? Fuck it. We don't accept."

Or is it one of those things where, once you're nominated and confirmed, you're in no matter what?
Old 12-27-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Does anyone else think it's weird that people even give a shit about a self-proclaimed rock and roll hall of fame?
No freakin' kidding.

Funny how this always turns out. When their favorite groups get snubbed, they curse that Jan Wenner and his gang of nutsuckers for being out of touch dinosaurs without a tinker's cuss of musical taste/knowledge understanding, and then proclaim the RnRHOF as meaningless, idiotic, pointless, not worth the time.

Then a favorite band gets inducted, and they sing High Hallelujah to Hammerschmitz. As if they finally got asked to the prom.

Me, I love Rush, one of my Top 10 alltime favorite bands, but I couldn't care less they're being inducted. Nor am I apoplectic over Donna Summer, Public Enemy, Madonna, ABBA, whatever. Being asked to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is as much an "honor" as being asked to join the National Geographic Society. It's not the be-all end-all of music by any stretch of the imagination. It's nothing more than Jan Wenner and his gang of nutsuckers. Dave Marsh in particular should be set on fire and thrown screaming off a five story building. It's also been a long time since I've danced.
Old 12-27-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

Like, suppose KISS finally got the nod, but Gene & Co. said, "You know what? Fuck it. We don't accept."

Or is it one of those things where, once you're nominated and confirmed, you're in no matter what?
Axl Rose told them to cram it sideways it last year, but GNR was still inducted.
Old 12-27-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Axl Rose told them to cram it sideways it last year, but GNR was still inducted.
Also, let's not forget John Lydon's eloquent letter:

Old 12-27-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

I know Axel Rose declined when GNR went in.
Old 12-27-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl

Should be "You're not paying attention"

Old 12-27-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl

Lydon probably wrote this in the Whole Foods bakery near his condo in Marina Del Rey which he drove to in his Volvo station wagon.
Old 12-27-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your way wrong he was at The Farmers Market which he drove to in his Hummer.
Old 12-27-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Should be "You're not paying attention"

Apostrophes are for elitist snobs and music industry people.
Old 12-27-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
If we're busting out the second tier acts, how about Ratt, Motley Crue, and Poison?
I would say folks like The Cars, The Smiths should be in before these guys. Lets get folks in that inspired other bands, before we get folks that were inspired by the VH's and Black Sabbaths, etc...
Old 12-27-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I would say folks like The Cars, The Smiths should be in before these guys. Lets get folks in that inspired other bands, before we get folks that were inspired by the VH's and Black Sabbaths, etc...
Umm...Guns is already in and the path to their success was built by bands like Ratt and Motley. Especially the later. Poison will never make it although I like their songs and they had many hits.
Still, anybody that calls themselves a "rock and roll hall of fame" and inducts Donna Summer gets little credibility so I don't care in the grand scheme of things.
If you ever watch "That Metal Show", Eddie Trunk brings up good points on what a joke this whole thing is.
Old 12-27-12, 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
No freakin' kidding.

Funny how this always turns out. When their favorite groups get snubbed, they curse that Jan Wenner and his gang of nutsuckers for being out of touch dinosaurs without a tinker's cuss of musical taste/knowledge understanding, and then proclaim the RnRHOF as meaningless, idiotic, pointless, not worth the time.

Then a favorite band gets inducted, and they sing High Hallelujah to Hammerschmitz. As if they finally got asked to the prom.

Me, I love Rush, one of my Top 10 alltime favorite bands, but I couldn't care less they're being inducted. Nor am I apoplectic over Donna Summer, Public Enemy, Madonna, ABBA, whatever. Being asked to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is as much an "honor" as being asked to join the National Geographic Society. It's not the be-all end-all of music by any stretch of the imagination. It's nothing more than Jan Wenner and his gang of nutsuckers. Dave Marsh in particular should be set on fire and thrown screaming off a five story building. It's also been a long time since I've danced.

No 1 curr.

Typed all this shit and zero fucks are given.
Old 12-27-12, 11:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet

No 1 curr
Old 12-28-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Does anyone else think it's weird the the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame hardly ever includes musicians that actually play rock and roll ?
I don't think anyone has mentioned that outside of the multiple pages of this very thread.
Old 12-28-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Barth
Still, anybody that calls themselves a "rock and roll hall of fame" and inducts Donna Summer gets little credibility so I don't care in the grand scheme of things.
Bowie and Springsteen were both fans of Donna's music so I think that carries more weight than your little "disco still sucks" rant.

Donna made rock music in the early 80s, that is an undisputed fact. I thought that was one of the major notes of her career was that she transitioned from disco to rock music at the height of her career. So yea, I think unlike some pop artists, people have less reasons to bitch about Donna because she actually did go the rock route in 1980-1981.

Donna was awesome and easily one of the greatest female pop stars of all time, deal with it.
Old 12-28-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bootsy

No 1 curr.

Typed all this shit and zero fucks are given.
That's nice, boy. Your little Internet speak is precious. Now go play while grown-ups are talking.
Old 12-28-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

It should just be called The Popular Music Hall of Fame.

Ultimately, that's what it is...
Old 12-28-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Bowie and Springsteen were both fans of Donna's music so I think that carries more weight than your little "disco still sucks" rant.

Donna made rock music in the early 80s, that is an undisputed fact. I thought that was one of the major notes of her career was that she transitioned from disco to rock music at the height of her career. So yea, I think unlike some pop artists, people have less reasons to bitch about Donna because she actually did go the rock route in 1980-1981.

Donna was awesome and easily one of the greatest female pop stars of all time, deal with it.
I didn't say I didn't like Donna Summers music. Actually, I know a lot of her songs, grew up listening to her in fact since my parents loved her.
My main argument is that it seems weird she's in the rock and roll hall of fame before others that are "true" rock and roll bands. Not someone who sang disco, pop, and I guess some rock if you want to call it that. I do think she was a great artist, just not for the rock and roll hall of fame. We both agree on the great artist fact, we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether she was a rock singer or not. Or as you put it, I just have to deal with it. No biggie.
Old 12-28-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have zero problems with Donna Summer, but when did she do rock in the 80s? I remember more of her Pop/Top 40 stuff...
Old 12-28-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding Madonna in the HOF, since she is the one everyone loves to bash. Explain why she SHOULDN'T be in?

Look at the big 80s superstar artists in the HOF.
Michael Jackson - CHECK!
Prince - CHECK!
Bruce Springsteen - CHECK!
Metallica - CHECK!
R.E.M. - CHECK!
U2 - CHECK!
The Police - CHECK!
Guns N' Roses - CHECK!
Beastie Boys - CHECK!
Blondie - CHECK!
Van Halen - CHECK!
John Mellencamp - CHECK!
Billy Joel - CHECK!
Tom Petty - CHECK!
ZZ Top - CHECK!

Why shouldn't Madonna be a "Check!"? Phil Collins is the only 80's MTV/pop superstar on that level who hasn't gotten in yet, and even then you can argue that he got in for Genesis (same with Peter Gabriel) and maybe George Michael/Duran Duran, who if ever getting in will be in many years because the teen bubblegum image of their early years works against them today. You'd think they were inducting Debbie Gibson or Paula Abdul with the crap people have given her being in the Hall, when in reality, she as one of the defining superstars of the 80s happens to be in with the company she kept on the chart. She was as much an obvious first year inductee as Prince, U2, Springsteen, R.E.M. and Metallica IMO

Last edited by nothingfails; 12-28-12 at 03:03 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.