Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

Originally Posted by printerati
He's not wrong, unless you're either purposefully ignoring or secretly a fan of the shit Whitney Houston and Boyz II Men (among others) foisted upon us.
Those two perfomers while nit my kind of music But surely did create some very good music.
Old 09-09-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I call bullshit on a couple of these, especially What's Up.
Ugh. That is my #1 hated song of the 90's. Just terrible. Those hats, that incredibly annoying singing and awful lyrics. As bad as Rolling Stone's list is, songs I find more disappointing hearing are sucky rock songs. "Sex and Candy"? Really? That song gets radio play instead of Teenage Fanclub?
Old 09-09-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This is a mixture of softball one-hit-wonder novelty songs sprinkled with a few truly awful songs. "What's Up" is a terrible song for the ages.

In terms of annoyance to me, I nominate:

Pretty much anything off of Alanis Morisette's first album, especially "You Learn" which may be the most trite song ever recorded.

Anything by Collective Soul, especially "December" which every radio station in 1995 used to have on repeat, ignoring that fact that it's a bland song that somehow manages to make its blandness noxious.

Paula Cole. Especially "Where Have all the Cowboys Gone" which might be the most annoying vocal I've ever heard. Also, the lyrics consist solely of rock-dumb suburban ennui cliches like "I'll do the dishes, you go have a beer".

Eric Clapton's entire run in the 1990s, especially the awful, awful "Unplugged" album with that terrible, sleepy, white-old-guy-doing-blues version of "Layla" with the whooping doucebags in the background.

"Come to My Window" by Melissa Etheridge. Ugg.

"Who will Save Your Soul" by Jewel. Cutesy little girl voices are the worst. The "ladidadada" chorus irritates the crap out of me. Then she did "You Were Meant For Me" and confirmed my worst suspicions. She did have a nice rack.

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies. Maybe an obvious cheapshot, but this was a painful throwback for me to the extremely annoying late-eighties / early-ninties Blues Traveller / Spin Doctors / Toad the Wet Sprocket / The Samples / Phish / early Dave Matthews Band frat-rock/fake-blues/jam band craze which all of my friends in college loved and always played at parties. I bear a personal grudge against Barenaked Ladies for trying to bring that "vibe" (and I do mean "vibe") back, especially with such an awful, unfunny, "just jokin' around" song.

I might disagree a tad about Paula Cole, but you've hit several nails square on the head.
Old 09-09-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies. Maybe an obvious cheapshot, but this was a painful throwback for me to the extremely annoying late-eighties / early-ninties Blues Traveller / Spin Doctors / Toad the Wet Sprocket / The Samples / Phish / early Dave Matthews Band frat-rock/fake-blues/jam band craze which all of my friends in college loved and always played at parties. I bear a personal grudge against Barenaked Ladies for trying to bring that "vibe" (and I do mean "vibe") back, especially with such an awful, unfunny, "just jokin' around" song.
Are you sure you're even talking about the right song/band? How you could group the BNLs with those bands is beyond me. They're a Canadian band who wrote short pop songs with (some might say) catchy hooks. They were nothing close to a jam band or in the genre of the bands you mentioned.
Old 09-09-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Oh God, I just remembered Tracy Bonham's "Mother Mother"...
Old 09-09-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Eric Clapton's entire run in the 1990s, especially the awful, awful "Unplugged" album with that terrible, sleepy, white-old-guy-doing-blues version of "Layla" with the whooping doucebags in the background.
I remember our local newsguy Paul Moyer commenting on this. A conservative looking white guy in a suit. He said something like "Have you heard the Eric Clapton Live Unplugged album? It's some dynamite stuff". I knew then it was total unadulterated garbage. Which it was.
Old 09-09-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HUG-H
^ Completely disagree with you about BN, they didn't make me think of the 90's dead-head scene with Blues Traveler, DMB, Hootie or the Spin Drs, they sounded much more like a college rock band when I heard "One Week".
You may have a point. For some reason, they definitely reminded me of that whole "scene" just when I thought it was officially dead, though.
Old 09-09-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I go into convulsions whenever I hear or see the video of that damn bumblebee song. Don't know the name but whenever I hear the opening lyric "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain..." I get severly depressed.
Old 09-09-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I go into convulsions whenever I hear or see the video of that damn bumblebee song. Don't know the name but whenever I hear the opening lyric "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain..." I get severly depressed.
Blind Melon - No Rain

I can't believe that little girl was like a minor celebrity for a time because of that video.
Old 09-09-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

wow, lot of music snobs on here. I have enjoyed all of those songs at some point in my life. I am sick of most of them and don't care if I ever hear them again, but that is much different from calling them the worst songs or that they suck. If you notice these were all hits that were overplayed and I think people confuse being sick of something due to oversaturation with the actual material. This goes for movies/tv/books as well.
Old 09-09-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I hated that song at first, but it grew on me over time, like a fungus, to the point where I really liked it.
Old 09-09-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
wow, lot of music snobs on here. I have enjoyed all of those songs at some point in my life. I am sick of most of them and don't care if I ever hear them again, but that is much different from calling them the worst songs or that they suck. If you notice these were all hits that were overplayed and I think people confuse being sick of something due to oversaturation with the actual material. This goes for movies/tv/books as well.
You could make the argument that the ultimate test of a song is repeated listening. I've heard Prince's "When Doves Cry" roughly sixteen million times and I'll never get sick of it. Same with countless other hit songs. Boston's "More Than a Feelin'", Outkast's "Hey Ya", The Cars "Let's Go", De La Soul's "Me, Myself and I", Madonna's "Like a Prayer", these songs and many others will always sound great to me no matter how many times I hear them.

On the other hand, "Shine" by Collective Soul (manly Seattle voice: "Yeah") got annoying after about five listens. Some songs keep revealing additional layers of shittyness that you didn't initially appreciate the more you listen to them (like the infuriating "Lelela, lelela" vocal fade out in "Where have all the Cowboys Gone"). These are the ultimate annoying songs: the first time you hear them, they seem innocuous, the more you listen you realize just how irritating they actually are (prime example: Colbie Caillat's "Bubbly").

Overall, people get sick of songs that sucked to begin with.
Old 09-09-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some songs keep revealing additional layers of shittyness that you didn't initially appreciate the more you listen to them

Curse you guys for reminding me about "What I Am", Ace of Bass and that damn bumblebee song. I thought I had buried all memories of those in some deep, inaccessible corner of my mind.
Old 09-09-11, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
Those two perfomers while nit my kind of music But surely did create some very good music.
Yeah if you can't recognize that Boyz II Men and Whitney Houston (in her prime) were talented vocalists, regardless of whether you like them, you probably need to clean your ears out.
Old 09-09-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whenever someone mentions "the bumblebee song," my first thought is this instead of Blind Melon:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_H0Tk4-O1ZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-10-11, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
No. These songs were terrible the moment someone had the thought in their head. Can't speak for everyone, but some of my snobby attitude at times comes from knowing the massive amount of amazing music that gets ignored in favor of such poo.
Old 09-10-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Hixx
Yeah if you can't recognize that Boyz II Men and Whitney Houston (in her prime) were talented vocalists, regardless of whether you like them, you probably need to clean your ears out.
You will notice that I made no mention of their vocal skills, which really have nothing to do with the topic, anyway. It's not how they sing, it's what they sing. Celine Dion can also sing, but...yeah.
Old 09-10-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Early 90s had plenty of cring worthy hits like "Unbelievable" by EMF and those horrible MC Hammer songs. Seriously, when was the last time you heard, "Pray"? Bell Biv Devo as well. I also really hated Bryan Adam's songs in the 90s.
Old 09-10-11, 12:10 PM

What if God was one of us? Just a slob like one of us?

That's my pick for #1.
Old 09-10-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering why "Achy Breaky Heart" wasn't #1.

I recall that song being hated even when it was new.

"Who let the dogs out" is a firm #2.

Fun story about this one: When I worked at Best Buy, we received CD's to play music during open hours. Well, once we got a magical set of 3 CD's that contained "Who Let the Dogs Out" once on each CD. That's right, 3x the fun.
Old 09-10-11, 01:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always loved No Rain. Great song. Certainly not deserving of "worst of the 90's" title.
Old 09-10-11, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by printerati
He's not wrong, unless you're either purposefully ignoring or secretly a fan of the shit Whitney Houston and Boyz II Men (among others) foisted upon us.
Whitney and Boyz was the good black music. I ment all the black rap,gangsta music.
Old 09-10-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L_jWHffIx5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crap, and calling it overplayed is an understatement
Old 09-10-11, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jason
<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L_jWHffIx5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crap, and calling it overplayed is an understatement
If you compare to any decade in the 20th century it is , but for the 90's it's good.
Old 09-10-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Bell Biv Devoe, Boyz II Men, Collective Soul, Blind Melon, and Soul Asylum? Harsh. I don't think any of them had anything in the same ballpark as what was listed.

One I will add: Kriss Kross. Horrid.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.