Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

Originally Posted by gmanca
edie brickell and the new bohemians - what i am (this song should have been left in the shallow water)

Not that I disagree with your assessment...
Old 09-07-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, I thought it was from the nineties because of the Beavis and Butthead segment. Thanks for the head's up!
Old 09-07-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I started my first year of college in the fall of 1988... and That. Fucking. Song. was on every radio, every stereo, every sound system... everywhere... MUST...KILL....
Old 09-07-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
"What's Up" was fucking terrible, but I wouldn't put it in the Top 10. "MmmBop" was a catchy pop tune. Hanson caught a lot of shit but they didn't need an asston of autotune or a suite of producers and songwriters to make their music. Compare them to the little talentless fuckers of today...

This Top 10 is incomplete with Meredith Brooks's "Bitch", Marcy Playground's "Sex and Can-DAY", and Jann Arden's "Insensitive".
I really like 2 of those 3 and now I feel ashamed.
Old 09-07-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Here's another song that deserves to go on that list: Crash Test Dummies' "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm." That song was really annoying.
Although far, far from their best song...I completely disagree. Oh, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but CTD were a fucking phenomenal band.
Old 09-07-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wm lopez
More black music should have been on there.
No no no. The 90's was the decade of terrible music by white people, your thinking of the 2000's and the terrible music by black people.
Old 09-08-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Smells like Teen Spirit wasn't on there?
Old 09-08-11, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah maybe Billy Ray Cyrus and Celine Dion but Aqua, Baha Men and Right Said Fred are probably all working at 7-11 or Pizza Hut.
Right Said Fred are still playing music, recording, touring and living off royalties.
Old 09-08-11, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Honorable mentions: "Whoomp! There it is!" and "Jump Around".
Old 09-08-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
"Make 'em Say Ugh" by Master P
Gawd yes. Definitely top 3 caliber.

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I never understood why Hanson got so much crap. They aren't my kind of music, but they definitely weren't a bad band -- and at least they played their own instruments.
It's an annoying tune, but there are worse.

Or how about all the Nirvana/Pearl Jam rip-offs? Silverchair and The Nixons, I'm looking at you.
The guys in Silverchair are very talented. They're problem is that they were so young that the record company wanted to make them "Pearl Jam knock-offs." I'd replace Silverchair with Bush.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Honorable mentions: "Whoomp! There it is!"

I'll add any song by Ace of Base. Drove me fucking crazy every time I heard them on the radio.
Old 09-08-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I have to cop to being a 4 Non Blondes fan back in the day. There are still some songs by them that I like, though their best known song can get old quick
They also did a pretty good cover version of Led Zep's "Misty Mountain Hop". My brother-in-law said he saw them play in clubs in SF before they became famous and they did a lot of Zeppelin songs in their sets.
Old 09-08-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always hated that 4 Non Blondes song.

Another one I'd add: "Right Here, Right Now" by Jesus Jones.
Old 09-08-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Shit, just about everything in the 90's should be on this list. That was the decade when music started to slide into the Suck abyss. There really hasn't been anything worth listening to since the Classic Rock era ended, IMO.
Old 09-08-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Shit, just about everything in the 90's should be on this list. That was the decade when music started to slide into the Suck abyss. There really hasn't been anything worth listening to since the Classic Rock era ended, IMO.
Yes, the decade that gave us Ten, VS, In Utero, Nevermind, Siamese Dream, Last Splash, Dry, Rid of Me, To Bring You My Love, Exile in Guyville, Dummy, Porthishead, and OK Computer is so inferior to the '80s.
Old 09-08-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the decade that gave us Ten, VS, In Utero, Nevermind, Siamese Dream, Last Splash, Dry, Rid of Me, To Bring You My Love, Exile in Guyville, Dummy, Porthishead, and OK Computer is so inferior to the '80s.
Claiming that an entire decade gave us 13 good albums isn't exactly bowling over your opponent's position.
Old 09-08-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I didn't know Internet Brands bought out the Steve Hoffman forums as well...
Old 09-08-11, 03:02 PM

Surely one of Sugar Ray's craptastic singles deserves a spot on the list.

As for my personal worst song of the decade, I have to go with Soul Asylum's Runaway Train. Most whiny song ever?
Old 09-08-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Hixx
As for my personal worst song of the decade, I have to go with Soul Asylum's Runaway Train. Most whiny song ever?
Oh God, now its stuck in my head
Old 09-08-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a mixture of softball one-hit-wonder novelty songs sprinkled with a few truly awful songs. "What's Up" is a terrible song for the ages.

In terms of annoyance to me, I nominate:

Pretty much anything off of Alanis Morisette's first album, especially "You Learn" which may be the most trite song ever recorded.

Anything by Collective Soul, especially "December" which every radio station in 1995 used to have on repeat, ignoring that fact that it's a bland song that somehow manages to make its blandness noxious.

Paula Cole. Especially "Where Have all the Cowboys Gone" which might be the most annoying vocal I've ever heard. Also, the lyrics consist solely of rock-dumb suburban ennui cliches like "I'll do the dishes, you go have a beer".

Eric Clapton's entire run in the 1990s, especially the awful, awful "Unplugged" album with that terrible, sleepy, white-old-guy-doing-blues version of "Layla" with the whooping doucebags in the background.

"Come to My Window" by Melissa Etheridge. Ugg.

"Who will Save Your Soul" by Jewel. Cutesy little girl voices are the worst. The "ladidadada" chorus irritates the crap out of me. Then she did "You Were Meant For Me" and confirmed my worst suspicions. She did have a nice rack.

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies. Maybe an obvious cheapshot, but this was a painful throwback for me to the extremely annoying late-eighties / early-ninties Blues Traveller / Spin Doctors / Toad the Wet Sprocket / The Samples / Phish / early Dave Matthews Band frat-rock/fake-blues/jam band craze which all of my friends in college loved and always played at parties. I bear a personal grudge against Barenaked Ladies for trying to bring that "vibe" (and I do mean "vibe") back, especially with such an awful, unfunny, "just jokin' around" song.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-08-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 04:38 PM

^ Completely disagree with you about BN, they didn't make me think of the 90's dead-head scene with Blues Traveler, DMB, Hootie or the Spin Drs, they sounded much more like a college rock band when I heard "One Week".

Speaking of the Blowfish, were they on the bad 90's songs list? Or The Spin Doctors for that matter? They should be on the "Bands whose fame died after they tried to do a second album" list.
Old 09-08-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything Hootie and the Blowfish did was IMO equally abysmal. I can't imagine having to listen to all of their shit to figure out which is the most repulsive...
Old 09-08-11, 09:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That 4 Non Blondes song is easily one of my most hated things in this universe. And AMC had it on their radio system for at least a decade, so every time I saw a movie I would hear it. And it made me want to kill. KILL!
Old 09-08-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hootie and the Blowfish were the Huey Lewis & the News of the '90s -- pure corporate rock.
Old 09-08-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I was disappointed when the Barenaked Ladies turned out to be a bunch pudgy guys.
Old 09-08-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
More black music should have been on there.
How is this guy not banned?
He's not wrong, unless you're either purposefully ignoring or secretly a fan of the shit Whitney Houston and Boyz II Men (among others) foisted upon us.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.