Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

Old 01-14-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

Old 01-14-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Yeah, with only the name to go on, it's a pretty uninspired album title.

Old 01-15-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to everyone for really proving my point. I didn't know how much it had already been used.
Old 01-15-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Yeah, with only the name to go on, it's a pretty uninspired album title.

But that's from a shitty uninspired band, so that one doesn't count.
Old 01-15-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure they thought the supersticious history of the number 13 were enough to give the title some mystique.
Old 01-25-13, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an update on what anomynous brought us about two weeks ago.
Frankie DiVita, radio personality at Southern California's 96.7 KCAL Rocks, conducted an interview with BLACK SABBATH bassist Geezer Butler at this year's NAMM (National Association Of Music Merchants) show at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

On BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi's cancer treatment:

Butler: "Tony's responding really well. He's been having his treatment now for 14 months, and he's really responding well to it. So he'll be alright. You can never stop Tony."

On the incident at SABBATH singer Ozzy Osbourne's home in Beverly Hills earlier this month which resulted in Ozzy burning his hand:

Butler: "He's doing alright. He burnt his hand when he was putting the fire out. He's got it in a plaster cast."

On BLACK SABBATH's new album title, "13":

Butler: "Well, it was sort of a temporary name, that we had something to refer to the album as, and I think it kind of stuck. But I don't know if that's gonna be the final title or not. [It was named partly because it's coming out in the year 2013] and originally, we were gonna put 13 tracks on the album. We ended up doing 16 tracks, so I'm not sure what's gonna on the album and what isn't."

On the recording process for "13":

Butler: "This is the first time we've done an album together sober; none of us have been drinking or doing drugs or anything, so it's been more professional in that way. And we've stuck to a schedule every day. We'd go in at one o'clock and finish at six, just to keep everything fresh. Five hours a day — that's it."

On the inspiration for the new BLACK SABBATH album:

Butler: "It's sort of got the feel of the first three albums — back to the basic rawness. And the lyrics are very… They're just about life…. Life and death and doom and everything else. You get Prozac with every album."

On BLACK SABBATH's touring plans:

Butler: "We start in New Zealand and Australia in April, and then we do Japan. Then we do album promotion in June and then USA in July and August. Then South America and then Europe … [The USA trek] will be strictly [a] BLACK SABBATH [tour and not an Ozzfest run]."

On having RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE's Brad Wilk play on the new BLACK SABBATH album:

Butler: "That was [producer] Rick Rubin's idea, 'cause he wanted to have… He didn't want a typical heavy metal drummer on the album, 'cause it's not really a heavy metal album; it's more of a rock… heavy rock. And Rick Rubin suggested having Brad, 'cause he's more in the vein of [original BLACK SABBATH drummer] Bill Ward. So we jammed with him and he sounded great with the stuff, so we went with that … It's sort of back to the way we used to be in the '70s; that's his feel — sort of a jazzy, bluesy feel to him, and that's the way the music is now. It was great working with him."

On who the touring drummer will be:

Butler: "We haven't decided yet."

BLACK SABBATH first LP with Ozzy Osbourne since 1978 will be released in June via Vertigo/Universal Republic in the U.S. and Vertigo in all other territories.
Old 03-14-13, 10:33 AM

BLACK SABBATH's new album, "13" — the first in 35 years to feature bassist Geeezer Butler, guitarist Tony Iommi and singer Ozzy Osbourne — will be released on June 11 via Vertigo/Universal Republic in the U.S. and Vertigo in all other territories. The drum tracks on the group's first LP with Osbourne since 1978 were laid down by RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE sticksman Brad Wilk following original drummer Bill Ward's decision to bow out of the reunion.

Osbourne, Iommi and Butler recorded the album primarily in Los Angeles with producer Rick Rubin. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include three seven-plus-minute behemoths "End Of The Beginning", "God Is Dead" and "Epic", as well as a track about killing pedophile priests ("Dear Father") and another about the scourge of methamphetamine addiction ("Methademic").

Beginning today, "13" will be available for pre-order on a variety of formats via BlackSabbath.com.

Pre-order options:

* Standard CD album
* Deluxe double CD album in a deluxe soft-pack (includes a second disc of exclusive bonus audio material)
* Vinyl: a 12-inch heavyweight (180g) vinyl album in a gatefold sleeve
* Super Deluxe Box Set: a limited-edition 12-inch clamshell box set which contains: deluxe double CD album, 12-inch heavyweight (180g) vinyl album in a gatefold sleeve, exclusive DVD containing "Black Sabbath - The Reunion" documentary, plus five behind-the-scenes videos, download card containing exclusive track-by-track interview with BLACK SABBATH, "13" exclusive photographic prints and handwritten album lyrics.

In addition, anyone who pre-orders any of these formats via BlackSabbath.com will be entered into a drawing to win a pair of VIP tickets to an official "13" album launch event in London, including a meet-and-greet with the band, flights and accommodation Additional details and full terms and conditions on the contest can be found at BlackSabbath.com. This is worth checking out. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.asp...sitemID=187382
Old 03-14-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 683 Likes on 527 Posts

Wow, Brad Wilk on the drums - I'm interested now.
Old 03-14-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p6h6bUVZbDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-14-13, 10:55 AM

Yes, the in Studio making of the album. Thanks covenant
Old 03-14-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just preordered the vinyl.
Old 04-11-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

A review from a recent listening party:

…it is a VERY good record, certainly belonging of a place in the Ozzy-era discography. It is not mind-expandingly original, nor would I want it to be. What it is, is VERY heavy Ozzy-era-sounding Sabbath.

In brief:
■There were about 60 of us. No electronics were permitted (e.g., cameras, cell phones, etc.) If you had them, they were checked at the door. People were wanded to ensure compliance.
■Once seated we heard seemingly every other Ozzy-era song before they finally started.
■Jack Osbourne — looking fit and clean/sober — came out and introduced the record, and showed the clips that we have now seen on YouTube which were, evidently, produced by his production company (nepotism at its finest, take that Geoff Tate). There was an additional clip that I’d not yet seen played at the end, so maybe 10 minutes in total.
■Then they played the music. Eight tracks, five of which are 7+ minutes. I didn’t have a pen so I had to scratch some notes into the piece of paper with a key…a dubious method of note-taking, to be sure. Here are my recollections.
■Overall, very heavy production, owing at least in part to what must have been downtuning to a low A or something to accommodate an aging Mr. Osbourne.
■The tempos seems to sway a little bit. Some may prefer this as it’s more organic sounding. I was irritated somewhat by it in a couple of places, but it wasn’t to distraction.
■Most of the time, Ozzy’s melodies were not simply mimicking the guitar line (think Iron Man, Electric Funeral, NIB, etc.). The sole exception to this was the final track.
■Almost everything is mid-tempo. No short quick tracks ala Paranoid. No reaaaaally drawn out doomy stuff like the beginning of Into the Void. There’s a fair amount of “swing” (e.g., Hole in the Sky type stuff) in here to go along with relatively brisk (for Sabbath, meaning mid-tempo) riffage.

Specific Track Remarks:
1.End of the Beginning (8:07). Too long a track for an opener but otherwise very good. Very heavy. Ozzy’s vocals don’t evoke dragons and knights and the soaring evil of Dio…rather, they have a melodic but, unsettling quality to then. Not operatic bombast, but understated, melodic eeriness. But it works. This is not the uninspired songwriting of those two songs from the Reunion album — this is real songwriting with some good riffs from Iommi. A very good song.
2.God is Dead? (8:54). This song slays. Very cool riffing and a good melody line. The B section is evocative of the Hole in the Sky riff but it still works really well. This is an excellent song, worthy of standing with anything in the Ozzy catalog (thought it lacks the instant memorability of Iron Man or Paranoid).
3.Loner (5:06). Sounds a LOT like a heavy, modern-production version of NIB (I even sang “Oh yeah” after the appropriate riff). Lyrically and mood-wise it mixes in some Johnny Blade. It’s a good song, but not as good as the previous ones.
4.Zeitgeist (4:28). Mellow, and somewhat evocative of Planet Caravan. It’s fine, but I anticipate skipping this on CD.
5.Age of Reason (7:02). This song kills. My notes (again, scratched in there by keys) are unintelligible. But this one had people pretty fired up.
6.Live Forever (4:49). Has a Children of the Grave / Hole in the Sky Feel once again. A good song, if not as ambitious as some of the others.
7.Damaged Soul (7:43). Very heavy blues. Too bluesy for my tastes. Blues blues and more blues, and when you are done with the blues, it shoves another does of blues up your ass. This is overstated — it’s plenty heavy. It just is too (wait for it) bluesy for my tastes. Others enjoyed it more than me. Still, this is not a throwaway, just not one of my favorites.
8.Dear Father (7:06). A great song to finish with, again quite heavy with a lot of energy. The B section is the one featured in the video with Rubin telling Ozzy to try again (“…the victims of the sins you devise.”) The main section is beefier than that part. There is a recurrent tritone riff that is very evocative of the first notes played in the song Black Sabbath. It’s so evocative that one wonders if it’s purposeful…and the riffs appears again at the very end of the song…and then the song ends…with rain…and church bells. Very cool. Very cool indeed.

In all, four terrific songs (tracks 1, 2, 5 and 8). Three good songs (3, 6, 7 if you like blues). One song that non-stoners will skip. And non-stoned stoners, probably. On balance, this is a very, very strong record.

At the end, Jack came back out and thanked everybody, and then (this was a surprise) Ozzy, Tony and Geezer came out to say hello briefly. Tony looked well. Ozzy mumbled something well below the already low standard for coherence that has been established for him — I could only make out the word “album.” In fairness, people were applauding so it would have been hard to discern what he said in any case.

So, you’ll be very happy. I think you will find it to be an enjoyable reprise of the original Sabbath sound you liked. You’ll hear what Iommi’s old riffs sound like played with modern production. I think everybody will probably find something to like about it.
Old 04-11-13, 11:19 AM

Awesome now I'm getting excited about this album. BLACK SABBATH will make a rare television appearance when the band performs a new song on the season finale of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation". The episode is set to air on Wednesday, May 15 at 10:00 p.m. ET on CBS-TV. The band will world premiere a song called "End Of The Beginning" from "13". The episode's plot follows the "CSI" team as they investigate a series of murder that resemble the sins in "Dante's Inferno", with the trail leading the detectives played by Ted Danson and Marc Vann to attend a SABBATH concert. I don't watch csi but I might have to catch this episode.
Old 04-11-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that's encouraging at least. Maybe this won't suck.
Old 04-11-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very "progressive" album.
Old 04-12-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 306 Likes on 261 Posts

Why did they have to debut it on CSI on the old peoples network?

So not cool.

If the Metal Show was on the air right now that would have been the place to debut their new single.
Old 04-12-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
If the Metal Show was on the air right now that would have been the place to debut their new single.
Not if Sharon has something to say about it.

And she does.
Old 04-12-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Not if Sharon has something to say about it.

And she does.
I am getting the album but the thought of any of my money going to have Sharon Osbourne's face pulled back any more makes me sick.
Old 04-15-13, 08:15 AM

God Is Dead?", a brand new single from BLACK SABBATH, will be made available digitally on April 19. The track, which clocks in at eight minutes and 52 seconds,
Old 04-16-13, 12:27 AM

BLACK SABBATH has announced four summer shows in North America in support of the band's new album, "13". Tickets for the Live Nation-produced tour will go on sale Saturday, April 20 at LiveNation.com. The dates include stops in Holmdel, New Jersey; Los Angeles; Seattle; and Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Tickets for these shows go on sale Saturday, April 20. Beginning today, fans can click here for early access to presale tickets available Thursday, April 18. VIP Packages are also available at VIPNation.com.

The details are as follows:

Aug. 04 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
Aug. 14 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
Aug. 24 - Seattle, WA - Gorge Amphitheatre
Sep. 03 - Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles Sports Arena
Old 04-16-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
BLACK SABBATH has announced four summer shows in North America in support of the band's new album, "13". Tickets for the Live Nation-produced tour will go on sale Saturday, April 20 at LiveNation.com. The dates include stops in Holmdel, New Jersey; Los Angeles; Seattle; and Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Tickets for these shows go on sale Saturday, April 20. Beginning today, fans can click here for early access to presale tickets available Thursday, April 18. VIP Packages are also available at VIPNation.com.

The details are as follows:

Aug. 04 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
Aug. 14 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
Aug. 24 - Seattle, WA - Gorge Amphitheatre
Sep. 03 - Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles Sports Arena
Geez why are they playing in this old shithole when they could easily fill the Staples Center?
Old 04-16-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Geez why are they playing in this old shithole when they could easily fill the Staples Center?
Green Day is doing two shows there and The Killers are playing it as well. Did they remodel it? Never actually been there for a show just The Coliseum.
Old 04-16-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 297 Posts

HOLY SHIT... I'm gonna be in LA on September 3rd!
Old 04-16-13, 02:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasn't going to go, but now I may have to just to meet Hokeyboy and share a kielbasa.
Old 04-16-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Green Day is doing two shows there and The Killers are playing it as well. Did they remodel it? Never actually been there for a show just The Coliseum.
Saw the Who and Springsteen there many times in the 80s. From what I hear they painted it and fixed it up a little but it's still the bottom of the barrel arena in LA (or maybe the Forum).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.