Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

Old 05-15-12, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has released the following statement:

"Dear SABBATH fans and fellow musicians,

"I sincerely regret to inform you that after a final effort to participate in the upcoming SABBATH shows, a failure to agree has continued. At this time I have to inform you that I won't be playing with BLACK SABBATH at the Birmingham gig dated May 19th, 2012, nor will I be playing at [U.K.'s] Download [festival] on June 10th, 2012. Further, I will not be playing at Lollapalooza [festival] on August 3, 2012.
Old 05-15-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear Sharon Osborne is busy finding a cheap replacement at a local high school in LA.
Old 05-16-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper007
BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has released the following statement:

"Dear SABBATH fans and fellow musicians,

"I sincerely regret to inform you that after a final effort to participate in the upcoming SABBATH shows, a failure to agree has continued. At this time I have to inform you that I won't be playing with BLACK SABBATH at the Birmingham gig dated May 19th, 2012, nor will I be playing at [U.K.'s] Download [festival] on June 10th, 2012. Further, I will not be playing at Lollapalooza [festival] on August 3, 2012.
The much longer statement can be read here:

http://lambgoat.com/news/18324/Black...-reunion-shows
Old 05-16-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He should just come out and say what Sharon is doing. I get that Ozzie is just a mindless sack at this point but I am surprised that the other 2 don't smack sharon down. What a sad end.
Old 05-16-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not just Sharon. I'm sure all the other band member's managers were involved in the contract. I guess Gloria Butler is equally to blame, not to mention Tony's manager. I'm going to go out on a limb and blame Bill Ward. I'd love to know what the sticking points are in the contract that keep him from signing.

Last edited by covenant; 05-16-12 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-16-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
It's not just Sharon. I'm sure all the other band member's managers were involved in the contract. I guess Gloria Butler is equally to blame, not to mention Tony's manager. I'm going to go out on a limb and blame Bill Ward. I'd love to know what the sticking points are in the contract that keep him from signing.
Since Ward is taking this dispute public, it would be nice if we had some details on what the points of contention are. Give us some names and figures instead of all of the vague stuff. (Of course, I suppose it's possible he can't legally/contractually do so.)

It's really easy to pin this all on Sharon... this whole affair would certainly seem to have her fingerprints all over it... but it could just as easily be other parties.
Old 05-16-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, Sharon is Ozzy's manager not the manager of Black Sabbath, correct?
Old 05-16-12, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 693 Likes on 463 Posts

I fear clicking on this thread every time it pops up that it will be bad news about Tony.
Old 05-16-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, Sharon is Ozzy's manager not the manager of Black Sabbath, correct?
Old 05-16-12, 08:33 PM

You are right, however Sharon father (Don Arden) was the band manager from mid 70s to mid 80s.
Old 05-16-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Bill is flaky as hell.

In a separate interview with Rock Radio, Tony Iommi was asked about Ward's exit from the HEAVEN & HELL project.

"Bill Ward is not a part of this mainly because of his choice," Tony said.

"Originally, when we put the three [new] tracks together for 'The Dio Years' [compilation], I asked Bill if he wanted to be involved with it and he said, 'Yeah.' And I said, 'Well, you're gonna have to come to England from California and I'll run through the songs with you, what we're gonna do.' So he did. And he couldn't quite grasp it that quick, and we needed to... The record company was asking for the songs fairly quick — they wanted to get them out. And Bill wanted to take more time doing it, and it was getting longer and longer, and we thought, 'Well, it's probably best we don't do them with Bill,' because Bill was feeling uncomfortable. And it felt even more uncomfortable when we [spoke] to him about touring for a year. He sort had a fit, because Bill hasn't done that extensive touring for a long time. And we were planning on doing a lot of touring. So Bill said, 'I don't think I'm gonna be up for touring to that extent.' And we thought it's probably best that we bring Vinny into this situation, because Vinny has done more [BLACK SABBATH] albums with Ronnie [on vocals] than Bill has — Bill has only played on the one album, which is 'Heaven And Hell', and Vinny has played on 'Mob Rules' and 'Dehumanizer', and, of course, all the live sets, so it seemed the obvious thing to have Vinny back."
having read that I'm not at all surprised Bill opted out again this time.

Last edited by covenant; 05-16-12 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Sharon is the manager of whoever Sharon says she is. All goodness flows from the supple teat of her benefactorious grace. All praise to The Sharon.
Old 05-17-12, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just want to add:

If you're going to shut out an original, still-surviving member of a band for a "reunion," it's not really a reunion.

I'm also lookin' at you, Van Halen...
Old 05-17-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, to be fair, VH wouldn't even be out on the road if it weren't for Wolfie.

It would be hilarious to find out Bill's sticking point is that he'd be expected to tour extensively and bust ass on getting the album out. I've been hearing for years that he can barely keep up with the band anymore, so this isn't exactly surprising. Hell, I was more surprised when they announced he was actually doing the reunion.
Old 05-18-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is getting too funny now

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...ard_remov.html
Old 05-18-12, 02:17 PM

Drummer Bill Ward has been removed from all the photos on the homepage and gallery section of BLACK SABBATH's official web site after he announced that he was unable to to reach a contractual agreement with his bandmates about participating in their upcoming reunion shows.

In response to the move, Tony Conley of the Facebook page 1,000,000 Black Sabbath Fans Say Yes To Bill Ward wrote, "That is simply one of the most dastardly, chickenshit things I have ever seen done in my 40-some years of watching rock and roll. Definitely the maneuver with the least class, and disrespect.

"Bill's statements have been filled with love and respect. BLACK SABBATH's responses have been shallow and cold.

"Two sides to every story? Then tell yours, BLACK SABBATH, and stop hiding. If Bill can't hack it — say so. If he wants more than his share financially — say so. If there is a reasonable explanation for this shameful display, please help us to understand what it is. Currently, you look shameful and sad. That is not how we wish to feel about you.

"Your fans deserve better, Bill deserves better, and you deserve better." Here is something I don't agree with why remove the old pictures.
Old 05-18-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Bill sounds a bit like he can be a pain in the ass to work with from the interview a couple posts above, but I don't think it's right they're cropping him out of pictures either.
Old 05-18-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$haron is definitely behind this.
Old 05-18-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Ward can't hack playing I understand some of this but it is really getting stupid now. Why not just come out and say whatever it is?
Old 05-18-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best comment on that link:

I'm going to start photo-shopping Bill Ward INTO Dio-era Black Sabbath photos.
Old 05-19-12, 11:14 AM

Blabbermouth: BLACK SABBATH bassist Geezer Butler has released the following statement:

"I feel sad to see the SABBATH reunion becoming a bit of a soap opera on the Internet.

"It has been a very tough year for us as a band, having announced our reunion plans, only for Tony [Iommi, guitar] to be diagnosed with lymphoma, leaving us no choice but to postpone the proposed SABBATH tour, and then for Bill [Ward, drums] to go public on his site about an unsignable contract.

"None of us knew how Tony was going to respond to his intensive chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. Ozzy [Osbourne, vocals] and myself flew to England to be with Tony, and on his 'good' days, we'd meet at his home studio and put ideas together for the upcoming album, all sitting down together, no drummer involved, just three of us quietly putting together ideas. We thought that when we had enough songs together for a full band rehearsal, we'd move back to L.A and put the whole thing together with Bill. Unfortunately, to our surprise, Bill issued a statement on his site saying he'd been offered an unsignable contract. He hadn't told any one of us he was having contractual problems, and frankly, those things are worked out between our representatives, and never between the four of us, let alone in public.

"We had the idea of keeping just one show in this year, hoping that Tony would be well enough for that show, and that things with Bill would be sorted.

"As you may expect, a one-off show at Donnington festival (Download) costs an absolute fortune to stage, involving over 50 people, transport, airfares, hotels, meals, agents, promoters, accountants, lawyers etc, so none of us, expected to make much money from it — it was a one-off SABBATH show for the fans, before we go into recording the new album. Apparently, this wasn't acceptable to Bill's representatives; they wanted an amount that was so unrealistic that it seemed to have been a joke. So we resigned ourselves to doing Download without Bill, hoping he'd change his mind and at least make a guest appearance.

"We started rehearsals a few weeks ago with Tommy Cluefetos, the drummer who will be on the 'Ozzy And Friends' tour. Brilliant drummer and good bloke. It was decided we'd better do a warm-up show, to break the ice since we haven't played together live. The O2 Academy was available in Birmingham, where we were rehearsing, so we decided on that, and to make a donation to Help For Heroes charity, since we'd be ironing out any glitches we may have. Then Bill put out a further statement saying he'd been ready to play the Birmingham show , but he was expected to have to do it 'for free.' Well, I think that's basically how you raise money from gigs for charity — you play them 'for free.'

"All I am saying is that there are two sides to everything.

"I do hope to play with Bill again some day. For whatever reason, it wasn't meant to be this time. Bill's made his decision, and I have to respect that. Hopefully this painful year will be worth the wait for the new SABBATH album and end in joy and happiness for all."
Old 05-19-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad I got to see the original lineup live back in 1999. This drama is almost too much.

Last edited by asianxcore; 05-19-12 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-19-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Geezer seems like an on-the-level kind of guy, and I tend to believe his statements a bit more.

Either way, I don't see an album happening unless Clufetos fills in, which is clearly a possibility.
Old 05-19-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah that really sucks that Bill is holding out on this if Geezer is telling the truth. I wonder exactly what he was asking for though still.
Old 05-19-12, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 693 Likes on 463 Posts

Regarding the photo removals:

Black Sabbath/Bill Ward Photo Statement

"At the request of Bill Ward, through his attorney, so as to not give the public the wrong impression about his involvement in the current Black Sabbath lineup, we have temporarily removed Bill Ward's images from the main pages of the blacksabbath.com official website. In accordance with Bill Ward's attorney's request, we are doing so for the duration of the forthcoming shows." BLACK SABBATH

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.