Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

Old 02-04-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Black sabbath: reunited original band line up for new album.

Originally Posted by JAA
Much better choice than either of those "Appice brothers."
How so?

Vinnie was drumming on their last tour. Hell, the seat is still warm from his ass!
Old 02-05-12, 06:14 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
How so?

Vinnie was drumming on their last tour. Hell, the seat is still warm from his ass!
Just some sarcasm on my part. I have never cared for V. Appice. He has a very stiff, bombastic quality I just can't get past (think Dio's Holy Diver album). Again, Sabbath just isn't Sabbath without Bill Ward . . . IMO.
Old 02-05-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
From the Black Sabbath FB Page:

We were saddened to hear yesterday via Facebook that Bill declined publicly to participate in our current Black Sabbath plans...we have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open... We are still in the UK with Tony. Writing and recording the new album and on a roll... See you at Download!!!

- Tony, Ozzy and Geezer
The Facebook comments for that announcement are really interesting.

The Osborne camp is in a very bad position here. With what happened with the rerecorded rhythm tracks on those first Ozzy albums, it's really hard to think this is Bill Ward being obstinate or greedy.

It would be nice if they could patch things up, but with her manipulating any outcome will be an unpleasant experience, and everyone will be waiting for it to fall apart even more than we did with the Van Halen reunion a few years back.
Old 02-08-12, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Sharon Osbourne, the wife/manager of BLACK SABBATH singer Ozzy Osbourne, has shot down Internet rumors that she has effectively "fired" founding SABBATH drummer Bill Ward, who announced last week that he could not participate in the band's recording sessions or tour plans due to his unhappiness with the contract he was offered. Writing on Twitter, she said, "I am not in any position to hire or fire anyone in BLACK SABBATH. I don't manage the band, I manage my husband."

A source told the MetalTalk.net web site that the three remaining original members of BLACK SABBATH have recruited Tommy Clufetos, who plays drums in singer Ozzy's solo band, to sit behind the SABBATH kit for the foreseeable future.

Ozzy, guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist Geezer Butler responded to Ward's February 2 statement by saying, "We have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open."

The absence of Ward effectively prevents this from being the full-blown regrouping of the original SABBATH lineup that was first envisioned last year.

A number of SABBATH fans have rallied around Ward and have launched a new Facebook page dubbed "1,000,000 Black Sabbath Fans Say Yes To Bill Ward".

Ward said in his statement that he could not participate in the reunion, which was announced last November, unless presented with what he described as a "fair agreement" and a "signable contract" that financially reflected his contributions to SABBATH's history and his standing as a founding member of the band.
Old 02-09-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Sure, Sharon - you didn't, "Fire," Bill Ward, but you made sure that Ozzy's percentage would include some of what should have gone to Bill. And when he balked at the deal you couldn't possibly have made sure that the contract offer in question was then yanked off the table.

And, no, you don't manage Black Sabbath, but you do own half of the Black Sabbath name (via your puppet, Ozzy). And isn't it amazing that the drummer rumored to be Bill Ward's replacement is the drummer for Ozzy's solo band. Amazing - what a coincidence! Tony and Geezer didn't want to use Vinnie Appice who they like personally, and who they respect as a drummer. No, they don't want to go with the guy that they've been happily working with for the last 5 years (and a couple different times prior to that as well). They want to go with OZZY's drummer instead.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 02-09-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

Yeah, rapidly losing interest here. I had a great time in 2000 when I saw Sabbath, and would like to hear those songs blasted out by the original four once again. If Ward isn't there, I'm not going to bother.
Old 02-09-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Sure, Sharon - you didn't, "Fire," Bill Ward, but you made sure that Ozzy's percentage would include some of what should have gone to Bill. And when he balked at the deal you couldn't possibly have made sure that the contract offer in question was then yanked off the table.

And, no, you don't manage Black Sabbath, but you do own half of the Black Sabbath name (via your puppet, Ozzy). And isn't it amazing that the drummer rumored to be Bill Ward's replacement is the drummer for Ozzy's solo band. Amazing - what a coincidence! Tony and Geezer didn't want to use Vinnie Appice who they like personally, and who they respect as a drummer. No, they don't want to go with the guy that they've been happily working with for the last 5 years (and a couple different times prior to that as well). They want to go with OZZY's drummer instead.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Even if Sharon isn't responsible for this mess, after some of the shit she's pulled (re-recording bass and drum tracks on Blizzard and Diary, yanking Ultimate Sin out of circulation) it's sort of hard to accept that she's blameless when these things come up.

And it certainly doesn't appear that she's using her influence to do anything to get Bill a better deal.

And, oh yeah, he's being replaced by the drummer in Ozzy's solo band.

Looks fishy to me...
Old 02-09-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
If Ward isn't there, I'm not going to bother.
I doubt I could tell the difference between Bill and anybody else drumming if I couldn't see who was doing it.

I'll take what I can get, Bill or no Bill. (I'm an Iommi fanboy anyway...)
Old 02-10-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the spirit of naming the recent Dio version Heaven and Hell, mMaybe they should call this "Masters of Reality" or to be more accurate "Volume Three".
Old 02-10-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,171 Likes on 913 Posts

Less excited about this than I was since it's not the full original lineup, but I can't say that Bill Ward's omission completely kills this for me. I'll still pick up the album and if they tour anywhere near me I'll try and make it. It definitely would be nice if they could some how iron out a better deal for Bill so that he would be willing to participate though.
Old 02-11-12, 04:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In earlier "reunions" past former Sabbath stalwart Geoff Nicholls was (unfairly, IMNSHO) overlooked in favour of Ozzy's pal Rick Wakeman's son.

For anyone who enjoys the softer side of rock I'd recommend you try Ward's solo offerings "Living Naked" (was "Along the Way") and "When the Bough Breaks".
Old 02-11-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Less excited about this than I was since it's not the full original lineup, but I can't say that Bill Ward's omission completely kills this for me. I'll still pick up the album and if they tour anywhere near me I'll try and make it. It definitely would be nice if they could some how iron out a better deal for Bill so that he would be willing to participate though.
Despite objections, I'll go even without Bill Ward. Too big of a Sabbath fan to miss Iommi and Geezer playing the classics. And I've never seen Ozzy at all, so this will be better than sitting through an Ozzfest type experience. I just hope they come up with a more original opening act than Black Label Society.

Getting the album will depend greatly on how close they can get to the classic sound. Bill Ward will be missed there more than on the tour.
Old 02-11-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Bill Ward's son Aron getting involved now. Geeeeeeeez....

http://www.theprp.com/2012/02/08/new...nion-troubles/
Old 02-11-12, 11:55 AM

I love Black Sabbath, even the the last two Ozzy albums plus the three with Dio. The Heaven and Hell album was great as well. I have no interest in this reunion. Knowing that even one cent of the money will be going to stretch Sharon's face back even further makes me ill.
Old 02-17-12, 03:20 PM

according to pollstar, it's all off!

The planned return of the original Black Sabbath has experienced a couple of problems since the reunion was announced in November. In January the band announced that Iommi was in the “early stages” of cancer but did not say whether it would affect tour plans.

More recently drummer Bill Ward posted a lengthy message on his website saying he couldn’t go forward with the tour unless he received a “signable contract.” Sabbath answered Ward with a short message on the band’s website saying the band had “no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open.”

Now the legendary metal band has only one date on its itinerary – England’s Download Festival June 10 at Derby’s Donington Park.

But all is not lost. Trooper that he is, Ozzy Osbourne will hit the road to perform most of the previously scheduled Black Sabbath dates. The first-ever Ozzy & Friends tour will include Sabbath bassist Geezer Butler and guitarist / former Ozzy band member Zakk Wylde. Slash will also appear on select Ozzy & Friends shows along with other special guests to be named later.

While Black Sabbath was supposed to launch its tour May 18 in Russia, the Ozzy & Friends tour begins on what was Sabbath’s third date – May 23 in Helsinki, Finland at Hartwall Arena. What follows is the tour’s schedule as of today.

Ozzy & Friends

May 23 – Helsinki, Finland, Hartwall Arena
May 25 – Stockholm, Sweden, Olympic Stadium
May 27 – Jelling, Denmark, Jelling Festival.
May 29 – Bergen, Norway, Bergen Calling festival.
May 31 – Oslo, Norway, Oslo Spektrum Arena ANS
June 2 – Malmo, Sweden, Malmo Stadion
June 4 – Dortmund, Germany – Westfalenhalle
June 6 – Prague, Czech, Republic, O2 Arena
June 15 – Vitoria, Spain, Azkena Rock Festival
June 17 – Clisson, France, Hellfest – Summer Open Air
June 22 – Dessel, Belgium, Graspop Metal Meeting
June 24 – Milan, Italy, Gods Of Metal festival
June 26 – Vienna, Austria, Stadthalle
June 28 – Belgrade, Serbia, USCE Park
July 1 – Athens, Greece, Rockwave Festival – Terra
Old 02-17-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuck. Zakk? Really?
do. not. want.
Old 02-17-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This doesn't sound good for Tony Iommi at all.

I'm guessing there are contractual obligations to fulfill for these summer festival shows, so rather than forfeit money, they'll trot out the same old thing again. Hopefully they won't drag this mess over here.

And I saw a commercial where that **** (and sharon) were having some reality show contest about colonoscopys. Fuck these people.
Old 02-17-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That sucks, but hopefully we will still get the album
Old 02-18-12, 07:20 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
Fuck. Zakk? Really?
do. not. want.
Exactly!
Old 02-19-12, 10:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This has become a total clusterfuck. Thanks, Sharon!
Old 02-19-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Yay Zakk! I don't have enough over-reliance of pinch harmonics in my music, why not infest Sabbath music with that swill?
Old 02-19-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,171 Likes on 913 Posts

Well this is really getting disappointing now. Bad enough when Ward wasn't getting enough money to agree to play with them but now this.
Old 02-19-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why I'm a fan of Rush as people, not just as a band. They've have their share of drama over the years, but they don't do things to ruin their reputation or legacy.

When Neil Peart lost his wife to cancer, he told he others "consider me retired." There was no thought of replacing him, even though there would have been dozens of guys who would have jumped at the chance. They could have toured as Lifeson and Lee, but they didn't They could have had "special guest" drummers, but they didn't.

Neil came back, but if he hadn't, the band simply would not have continued. And when they can't continue to provide quality music, they'll hang it up. If they do a farewell tour, it'll be the real thing. I suspect the band will never officially end until one of them dies (they'll just stop recording and touring), but if they formally retire, it'll be a simple press release.

I hope the Ozzy and Friends (what a stupid name) is a contractual obligation thing, but if sharon let a bunch of 60+ year old men sign a contract with no cancellation clause because of health issues, she's not as shrewd as she thinks she is.
Old 03-26-12, 10:05 PM

BLACK SABBATH Guitarist Issues Update On His Cancer Batttle - Mar. 26, 2012. Tony Iommi, who is currently receiving treatment in England for the early stages of lymphoma, with which he was diagnosed late last year, has issued the following update:

"A little update on how it's all going:

"Well, I've had the last dose of chemotherapy, so hopefully my body will start to get back to normal soon. The steroids were the [worst]. I've now got three weeks of radiotherapy coming up which I'm told can be very tiring, so we'll see.
Old 03-26-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Any day now, I'm expecting for it to be announced that Tony Iommi and Geezer will be replaced by Gus G and Rob Nicholson.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.