Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Former WARRANT Singer JANI LANE Dead At 47

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Former WARRANT Singer JANI LANE Dead At 47

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Former WARRANT Singer JANI LANE Dead At 47

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Great bands make great music. They are influenced by previous bands that made great music. Shit bands and what plays on the radio doesn't factor into that at all.

There will always be great bands. You just might not hear it on the radio.
Oh, I agree with all of that.

I just think Limp Bizkit and co. pretty much ruined rock radio because they sucked all the soul (and I don't mean soul music) that made it such a great format for several decades. Talented bands trying something new were ignored to please those who wanted to hear tuneless samey nu-metal and rap-rock crap.
Old 08-14-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Well even then that was when Maiden didn't have Dickinson and Priest didn't have Halford. Once they came back, the majors wanted them back.

I can't think of one song on CMC that actually got airplay, it was seen as the label that hoarded the hasbeens the labels dropped. But from what I heard, the owner was a fan of the bands and was happy to keep them signed, so more power to him for that.
True...I realized that Priest didn't have Halford at that point, but I'd forgotten the Blaze era of Maiden.

And you're right about the owner. His name was Tom Lipsky and he's currently president of Roadrunner's Loud & Proud division. That's the current label of Collective Soul, Steve Miller Band and a bunch of others.
http://www.loudandproudrecords.com/
So, he's pretty much still doing what he was doing with CMC
Old 08-14-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I hate to say this, but this news is about as surprising as Winehouse's passing. Lane has been a trainwreck for years. He went from superstar at age 20 to has-been at age 25 and the rest was unsuccessful coping with it. You could see it in his eyes that this guy was dead on the inside for a long time. Sad but true.
Old 08-15-11, 12:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Eh, not everyone is embarrassed about the 1980's.
I'm not embarrased about the '80s in the slightest, but a Down Boys tatoo?!? On a guy!!! That's embarrasing.
Old 08-15-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice article from Chuck Klosterman

Klosterman Remembers Warrant's Jani Lane

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...ants-jani-lane
Old 08-15-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I'm not embarrased about the '80s in the slightest, but a Down Boys tatoo?!? On a guy!!! That's embarrasing.
That kinda reminds me of a MTV News followup back in the mid-90's where they got back in contact with a few girls who were on camera talking about how they would die for NKOTB and would be fans for life in 1989-1990. Three years later they were laughing at it and more interested in Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains.
Old 08-15-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well even then that was when Maiden didn't have Dickinson and Priest didn't have Halford. Once they came back, the majors wanted them back.

I can't think of one song on CMC that actually got airplay, it was seen as the label that hoarded the hasbeens the labels dropped. But from what I heard, the owner was a fan of the bands and was happy to keep them signed, so more power to him for that.
I believe Dokken was on CMC and had some minor hits with Dsyfunctional. I really enjoyed that album, but stopped caring after Erase the Slate which was total crap.
Old 08-15-11, 02:33 PM

What a lot of people seem to forget is that Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock and Korn did the same thing to alternative rock what alt-rock did to hair metal. I was a fan of both hair metal and alternative.... Limp Bizkit and all their cock-rock cronies turned me off rock radio for a decade... its just now that I'm beginning to warm back into their graces now that they're beginning to embrace Black Keys, Mumford, Joy Formidable and other acts that are closer to alternative rock than "nu metal". I could find actual MUSIC in the hair bands and grunge-era stuff, the rap-metal and nu-metal stuff was just soulless and heavy. As long as it "rawks" who cares if it has nothing else to offer.
MTV played a huge role in the downfall of hair metal. MTV ran that CHerry Pie video probably 50 times a day when it came out. I was sick of it. Also sick of Nelson and Trixter. lol I blame Trixter more than Warrant as an example of over saturation and cookie cutter bands. People were sick of the goofy lyrics, the love song acoustic ballads. The bands that stayed out of the MTV limelight tended to survive a lot longer. Tesla is a great example.

Sad thing is those bands were really talented and could come up with melodic riffs and catchy guitar solos. Alternative rock was often down tuned riffs with no solos.
Old 08-15-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Sad thing is those bands were really talented and could come up with melodic riffs and catchy guitar solos. Alternative rock was often down tuned riffs with no solos.
Old 08-15-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MTV played a huge role in the downfall of hair metal. MTV ran that CHerry Pie video probably 50 times a day when it came out. I was sick of it. Also sick of Nelson and Trixter. lol I blame Trixter more than Warrant as an example of over saturation and cookie cutter bands. People were sick of the goofy lyrics, the love song acoustic ballads. The bands that stayed out of the MTV limelight tended to survive a lot longer. Tesla is a great example.

My post was about how nu-metal and rap-metal did the same to alt as alt did to "hair metal". Like I said, there was good stuff in both the alt bands and the hair bands... but if you want soulless crap that made rock radio unbearable, go for nu-metal and rap-rock.

Who cares if the alt bands couldn't play like Jimmy Page or Eddie Van Halen on guitar, at least they had decent songs and melodies. The nu-metal crap that pretty much dominated radio for a decade was just heavy for the sake of being heavy because it masks that there was nothing beneath it. You'll hear Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains continue to get airplay 20 years later because even if they didn't have 75 second guitar solos, they were actually good songs... Limp Bizkit's music OTOH was just a bunch of noise and that's why people aren't continuing to listen to it today.
Old 08-15-11, 03:45 PM

My post was about how nu-metal and rap-metal did the same to alt as alt did to "hair metal". Like I said, there was good stuff in both the alt bands and the hair bands... but if you want soulless crap that made rock radio unbearable, go for nu-metal and rap-rock.

Who cares if the alt bands couldn't play like Jimmy Page or Eddie Van Halen on guitar, at least they had decent songs and melodies. The nu-metal crap that pretty much dominated radio for a decade was just heavy for the sake of being heavy because it masks that there was nothing beneath it. You'll hear Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains continue to get airplay 20 years later because even if they didn't have 75 second guitar solos, they were actually good songs... Limp Bizkit's music OTOH was just a bunch of noise and that's why people aren't continuing to listen to it today.
Yeah I never understood the appeal of Limp Bizkit. The only thing I enjoyed from Durst was the duet with the Staind singer.

I don't think you can totally discount nu-metal. Bands like Linkin Park and Korn fall into this genre, and I think their music has staying power for future generations.
Old 08-15-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I never understood the appeal of Limp Bizkit. The only thing I enjoyed from Durst was the duet with the Staind singer.

I don't think you can totally discount nu-metal. Bands like Linkin Park and Korn fall into this genre, and I think their music has staying power for future generations.
Linkin Park's earlier stuff was pretty good (their recent material is way too pop), but Korn was definitely the type of stuff that turned me off rock radio, a format I stuck by with both hair metal and alternative rock. Rock radio lost its diversity when it decided to be nu-metal 24/7. In the late 80's there was room for both U2 and Guns N' Roses on rock radio, and the mid-90's had room for both Alice In Chains and Nine Inch Nails (guitar rock and all-synthesizer rock) but when Limp, Korn, etc... exploded onto the scene it became nothing but nu-metal and rap-rock and little else got played.
Old 08-15-11, 06:04 PM
Banned

Also, Warrant are infamous in that their video for "Cherry Pie" is usually used to illustrate everything that was wrong with rock music before the heaven's parted and kurt cobain and Nirvana descended on a golden chariot pulled by angels to save us from ourselves.

Hair Metal seems to have lasted longer than Nirvana type of music.
Pearl Jam is big, but all these hair bands have been able to have reality shows on t.v. and still tour. Also you have that ROCK OF AGES movie coming out. People would rather have 80's than 90's rock music.
Remember that line in THE WRESTLER?

Eh, not everyone is embarrassed about the 1980's.

FWIW, I was never a big Warrant fan, and didn't like Down Boys at all. Sad to see yet another guy who should have had the world by the balls throw it all away.
Old 08-15-11, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
there's nothing wrong with 80's music. Warrant and their merits to the music industry is a different story entirely.

That's like saying Creed is invaluable because they sold millions of records when everyone knows that they weren't a good band by any means, and NO ONE listens to it any more.

Oh, and people need to stop blaming Nirvana for everything.
It comes with the fame & fortune. They blamed the BEE GEES in the 70's for disco. So be it on Nirvana.
Old 08-15-11, 06:18 PM
Banned

The guy looked like Denver Broncos qb John Elway back then.
Old 08-16-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Went into nostalgia mode and listened to the first three Warrant albums today. There was a lot of great music on those records. I know it's been rumored the guitars were done by session players, but whoever played them, they did a great job.

Listening to them that close together, it's actually pretty impressive how much the band evolved in a short time. Too bad the label dropped them.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 08-17-11 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 06:50 PM

Here's something strange. After learning of Jani Lane's death I bought some used CDs by Warrant and some other bands from Second Spin. One of the CDs I bought was VH1 Metal Mania Stripped Vol. 2. I got them in the mail today and the VH1 CD (which I paid $3.19 for) had been autographed by Jani Lane.
Old 08-19-11, 04:51 PM

I saw Warrant in concert back in ’95 at Panama City Beach when they were supporting their Ultraphobic release (which I think is one of their better albums). Jani Lane was actually on that night. He sounded great and was really cool with the fans. It’s a shame that he passed. He just seemed really sad inside the last decade.

I revisited Warrant's music after hearing about his death and there is actually some solid material there outside of the cheesier songs like Cherry Pie (which I think is horrible). Uncle Tom’s Cabin comes to mind as well as Hole in My Wall from the Dog Eat Dog album (very underrated album imo).
Old 08-22-11, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been visiting DVDTalk as often as I used to, so I didn't hear about this until a couple of days ago.

Sad.

Uncle Tom's Cabin and I Saw Red were on my tape of songs I could listen to forever if I was stranded on an island.

I used to have about 10 songs on a 90 min tape, same on both sides and my walkman had auto reverse so I listened to the same songs over and over and over. Finally wore out, when I got a CD burner, I made like a 15 song version, wasn't the same.
Old 08-24-11, 08:00 PM

UPDATE: TMZ.com reports that when former WARRANT singer Jani Lane's body was discovered at a California motel on August 11, no one at the scene wanted to go near him, even to check if he was still alive.

According to the audio recording of the 911 call placed by a lady at the front desk, housekeepers discovered the body, but no one would touch it to check for a pulse.

The dispatcher replied, "It would be nice to know if we can help him," but the hotel staff at the Comfort Inn hotel in Woodland Hills, California still refused.

TMZ.com previously reported that a note saying "I am Jani Lane" was found in the singer's pocket on the day he died. However, Jani, who had no official ID on him when his body was discovered, isn't believed to have written the note himself.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ.com that the note contained a phone number for a person close to Jani, and police contacted that person after Jani's body was discovered.

Investigators have confirmed to TMZ.com that the note was written by one of Jani's friends who had placed a similar note on Jani in the past.

According to the site, members of Jani's family are furious over the fact that the person who wrote the note didn't help Lane seek treatment for the singer's substance-abuse problem instead of simply tucking a piece of paper into Jani's pants.

It's unclear if the same person who wrote the note also checked Jani into the Comfort Inn since it appears the room where Jani was discovered was not purchased by Jani himself.

An autopsy performed on Lane proved inconclusive pending the results of toxicology tests, according to the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter says it may take several weeks to finalize the cause of death.
Old 08-25-11, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, that's bizarre to say the least.
Old 08-25-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I blame Pantera for fucking up metal more than I do Nirvana.
WhatisthisIdon'teven?!?!

If by "fucking up" you mean "making metal more heavy, laden with solid grooves and insane solos" then, yes, I agree with you.
Old 08-25-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
WhatisthisIdon'teven?!?!

If by "fucking up" you mean "making metal more heavy, laden with solid grooves and insane solos" then, yes, I agree with you.
No, they turned metal into loud music for dickheads, and paved the way for the idiotic grunting and endless blastbeats of today.

my lawn, get off it.
Old 08-25-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yeah metal was NEVER loud and there were NO douchetards listening to it before Pantera.

Old 08-25-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

...and endless blastbeats of today.

my lawn, get off it.
Pantera had blastbeats?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.