Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 - Achtung Baby Reissue - Oct. 31

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2 - Achtung Baby Reissue - Oct. 31

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: U2 - Achtung Baby Reissue - Oct. 31

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I tried that, but it won't allow you to enter a U.S. shipping address --- U.K. only. Did you get it to work for the U.S.?
Yes. I didn't have any problems that I recall. Ill look at it again
Old 10-14-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
According to this article, the tribute CD wont be available in US

http://ology.com/music/check-out-q-m...-track-listing

Bad news, U.S. fans… the new issue of Q Magazine doesn’t come with a copy of the album on this side of the Atlantic. I know, bad form! You’ll just have to keep your internet eyes and ears peeled for a copy.

I ordered a copy from http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/QU2
It's hard to believe it won't be available here in some way, at some point. It's like printing money, I would think.

Tried to order it but could not, which also seems odd. I'm hoping they just put it on iTunes.
Old 10-14-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's Damien Rice's 'One' - http://soundcloud.com/u2mexico/one-1

And Jack White's - Love is Blindness - http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/11...s-u2-cover-our
Old 10-14-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Here's Damien Rice's 'One' - http://soundcloud.com/u2mexico/one-1

And Jack White's - Love is Blindness - http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/11...s-u2-cover-our
That's good for a start. I'm hoping that the whole thing will be available as a download somewhere. Unlike the recent Nirvana tribute, I doubt this one will be free from Spin, but we can hope.
Old 10-14-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I dont know. Did you guys enter the US as your country? The only thing I saw was where it said in smallprint

1 copy (inc P&P - only available in UK) to UK

but I didnt have a problem ordering it. Maybe I got in early enough or maybe I will receive only the magazine without the CD.
Old 10-14-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I dont know. Did you guys enter the US as your country?
Yep. It let me enter my information as purchaser, but it was available for shipping only to someone in the U.K.

I have friends living in London, so I could have it shipped to them. But I'm sure this will be available in the U.S. somewhere. My inclination is to hold off.
Old 10-15-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Or keep the eyes peeled on Ebay. These will be out there.
Old 10-25-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Nine Inch Nails - "Zoo Station"

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZvgIhawBF4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZvgIhawBF4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Depeche Mode - "So Cruel"

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m1E5a3-oHrA&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m1E5a3-oHrA&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

The Killers - "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)"

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tNXsjs6ED5Y&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tNXsjs6ED5Y&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

I thought NIN would just totally rip up the beginning of "Zoo Station". Expectations subverted! Of the three, I like Depeche Mode's take the best.
Old 10-25-11, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I tried that, but it won't allow you to enter a U.S. shipping address --- U.K. only. Did you get it to work for the U.S.?
I ordered mine from http://www.newsstand.co.uk . It shipped today.
Old 10-26-11, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, I guess the final word on this is that U2 tinkered with the songs, but don't feel like what they did should be called a remaster. I guess this is somewhere between a re-issue and a re-master. Again, this album is not only my favorite U2 album, but has a personal place in my heart because of the time, so I certainly want it.

Not enough to buy a re-issue of what I already own, but for under $20, I bit on it after reading that the songs had been worked on some. Hopefully, this actually pleases the people who have found most of the remasters by any band to be lacking. Maybe U2 agreed with what other posters felt, which is the album didn't need to be re-mastered and they just did some small things that will actually sound good and please the critics.

I don't know, but I'm in for sure now. This was the word on why the word remaster has appeared and disappeared so many times on product pages and on U2's own site. I think some with think it's only semantics anyway.

"It looks like we can all put to rest the ongoing Is-it-remastered-or-not? question. Responding today to fans on Twitter, Neil McCormick reported that the Achtung Baby remaster -- which he received earlier this week -- is not remastered. His first tweet:

In answer to queries about Achtung Baby, I went to the source. It hasn't been remastered because it "didn't need to be", apparently ...

He followed that with more info:

It's been sonically tweaked & polished but not, technically, remastered. Hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me. #U2 #Achtung

And then one final tweet:

I'm just telling you what I've been told. Not remastered. But tweaked & boosted. Its definitely louder. #U2 #Achtung

This has been a really strange issue to follow. When the Achtung Baby anniversary edition was first announced in August, the official page at achtungbaby.u2.com made no mention of the word "remastered." But earlier this month, when the full track list was announced, that page had been updated and mentioned that the Achtung Baby CDs (but not Zooropa) were remastered. About a week ago, our friends at U2tour.de noticed that "remastered" had been removed from the official page. And the word currently doesn't appear on that official page. Strange, to say the least."
Old 10-26-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

And then one final tweet:

I'm just telling you what I've been told. Not remastered. But tweaked & boosted. Its definitely louder. #U2 #Achtung
No es bueno!
Old 10-27-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

So a quick review.

The Doc (From the Sky Down) is a decent look at this issues the band went through from getting really "big" on The Joshua Tree Tour through the recording of Achtung Baby. It shows the band from early days, all the way up to their performance in June 2011 at Glastonbury and how they shaped the AB heavy setlist for that performance. Highlights to me, were The Edge doing a solo version of Love Is Blindness, DAT Tape 10 (how quickly the band wrote one of their biggest songs) and the 2011 versions of the AB songs. (The Fly, So Cruel) Look for my 2 seconds of footage at about the 31min mark.

The new B-Sides. I believe most have new 2011 vocals except for "Down All The Days" (an early version of "Numb") and Everybody Loves A Winner. If you have the Achtung Baby Outtakes, you are already familar with "Blow Your House Down" and "Heaven And Hell". Nothing groundbreaking here, but nice to hear them re-visit some of the old outtakes.

"Baby" Achtung Baby Disc. Worth the price of the Super Deluxe for this. Various versions of each song from AB. Some are close to the finished album version and some are completely different. "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" is my current favorite after a couple of listens. Love Is Blindness is darker and in someways better than the album version. Some of these are very rough and some quite finished. I think some of these have 2011 vocals. ("One", "LIB") but overall this is a total treat for fans to hear "unfinished/different takes" of all these songs.
Old 10-27-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
"Baby" Achtung Baby Disc. Worth the price of the Super Deluxe for this.
It's worth spending $125 for a CD of outtakes with overdubbed vocals? Keep telling yourself that.
Old 10-27-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
It's worth spending $125 for a CD of outtakes with overdubbed vocals? Keep telling yourself that.
6 CD's and 4 DVD's for $129.99? Worth it to me? Yes.
Old 10-27-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You quote said it was worth the price for the outtakes.
Old 10-27-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
You quote said it was worth the price for the outtakes.
Well, then yes. Since I already own AB and 99% of the BSides (Remixes, etc...) AND I own Sydney DVD and have most of everything else, I am still buying this. So basically I am paying $130 for the Baby Tracks and the 7 New Songs. (Which I already have now since I grabbed a leak)

Whatever.
Old 10-27-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in for that as well!
Old 10-27-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nazgul
I'm in for that as well!
Couldn't resist... had to order this as well...
Old 10-28-11, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The new B-Sides. I believe most have new 2011 vocals except for "Down All The Days" (an early version of "Numb") and Everybody Loves A Winner. If you have the Achtung Baby Outtakes, you are already familar with "Blow Your House Down" and "Heaven And Hell". Nothing groundbreaking here, but nice to hear them re-visit some of the old outtakes.

"Baby" Achtung Baby Disc. Worth the price of the Super Deluxe for this. Various versions of each song from AB. Some are close to the finished album version and some are completely different. "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" is my current favorite after a couple of listens. Love Is Blindness is darker and in someways better than the album version. Some of these are very rough and some quite finished. I think some of these have 2011 vocals. ("One", "LIB") but overall this is a total treat for fans to hear "unfinished/different takes" of all these songs.
Why the fuck do these have 2011 vocals? 2011 Bono sounds noticeably worse than 1991 Bono.
Old 10-29-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Why the fuck do these have 2011 vocals? 2011 Bono sounds noticeably worse than 1991 Bono.
Well, they are more polished lyrics. Once you see the Doc they explain how Bono starts with lyrics. Lots of folks argued with me thinking they were vocals from back in 1991 or so, but I was correct once the booklet hit and people saw "additional recordings" listed in the credits for the Baby versions of the songs. So at least they sounded closer to his 1991 voice than a lot of people thought.
Old 10-29-11, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

Took a listen to the non-remix b-sides. To my ears they were all forgettable, with the exception of "Everybody Loves A Winner," which is excellent. Now checking out the baby versions.
Old 10-29-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like "Blow Your House Down" but it was better on the Salome outtakes. Once you watch the Doc (Which is on Showtime tonight at 8PM EST) you will see why they moved on from a song like "Everybody Loves A Winner"...I love Maria McKee.
Old 10-29-11, 05:51 PM
Banned by request

Baby versions were interesting but I'm not tempted to listen to them again.
Old 10-30-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is just no pleasing you with U2 in the 21st Century! Lol
Old 10-30-11, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

I liked the Joshua Tree remaster.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.