DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Tears for Fears fans: What is your favorite Album/Song? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/593160-tears-fears-fans-what-your-favorite-album-song.html)

OutRun2 07-29-11 04:58 AM

Tears for Fears fans: What is your favorite Album/Song?

For TFF fans, what is your favorite Album and your favorite song from them? For me it's tough but I'd say:

Album: Sowing the Seeds
Song: Swords and Knives

ken_572002 07-29-11 05:35 AM

Re: Tears for Fears fans: What is your favorite Album/Song?

The Hurting. Almost every song is a masterpiece. They would never release another album as great as their debut.

Lastdaysofrain 07-29-11 06:54 AM

I'd have to go with The Hurting as well. "The Start of the Breakdown" is one of my favorite tracks.

Ky-Fi 07-29-11 07:03 AM

The Hurting is the only one I own, and that is a fantastic album. I should probably pick up Songs from the Big Chair---I got a bit sick of it when it was played so much when it was released and I never picked it up on cd, but I'd probably enjoy it more now.

cdollaz 07-29-11 07:06 AM

The Hurting, Songs From The Big Chair, Seeds Of Love, and Everybody Loves A Happy Ending are all great albums worth owning.

kd5 07-29-11 07:23 AM

Songs From The Big Chair

Head Over Heels...:thumbsup: -kd5-

[email protected] 07-29-11 09:20 AM

Album: Sowing the Seeds

Song: Badman's Song (live version from Knebworth with Oleta Adams)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JvgXF_8-gds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

shizawn 07-29-11 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10871286)
Songs From The Big Chair

This is what I'd go with as well.

brokenhanger 07-29-11 04:55 PM

'The Hurting' is more consistent but I have a softer spot in my heart for 'Songs From The Big Chair'. (The deluxe edition of the latter - while not perfect - is an absolute must. I wish they'd do similar for the debut.)

Song wise, the obvious choice is "Head Over Heels", though "The Working Hour" drives me INSANE every time it comes on. Love it.

All of that said, I must admit to not being overly familiar with 'The Seeds of Love' or beyond. I have that record but have never been able to attach myself to it as I have the first two.

Rocketdog2000 07-29-11 06:01 PM

Well that's a bit of serendipity for you, as out of the blue, I've been listening to Tears For Fears a lot this week.

Favorite album would probably still be Songs From The Big Chair, although there are things to appreciate about most of them. I always enjoyed Elemental, too, and thought perhaps it was a bit underrated. ("Brian Wilson Said" off that album is a great Beach Boys homage)

As for favorite song, I'll go with "Head Over Heals", too. I've always liked "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", as well.

Another thing I love doing is playing the original version of "Mad World" for people who are only familiar with Gary Jules cover from Donnie Darko. Quite a difference, and you'd be surprised who many folks don't even realize it's a cover.

Hixx 07-29-11 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10871286)
Songs From The Big Chair

Yep.

gmanca 07-29-11 09:28 PM

Honestly way too many; they were much better than the singles they are known for. If one was to compare their B-sides and deep album cuts, they'd question if they were the same band.

There's The Start of the Breakdown, The Prisoner, Gas Giants, Secrets, Me and My Big Ideas as album tracks and amazing B-sides like The Conflict, Pharaohs, Empire Building, The Marauders, and Schrodinger's Cat.

If I had to choose a favorite, I would have to say Pharaohs just because it's the best of both worlds; once you hear, you'll know what I mean.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JSi1_YioIgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

inri222 07-29-11 09:38 PM

Album : The Hurting
Song : Any song from The Hurting

Rocketdog2000 07-29-11 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 10872371)
Honestly way too many; they were much better than the singles they are known for. If one was to compare their B-sides and deep album cuts, they'd question if they were the same band.

There's The Start of the Breakdown, The Prisoner, Gas Giants, Secrets, Me and My Big Ideas as album tracks and amazing B-sides like The Conflict, Pharaohs, Empire Building, The Marauders, and Schrodinger's Cat.

If I had to choose a favorite, I would have to say Pharaohs just because it's the best of both worlds; once you hear, you'll know what I mean.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JSi1_YioIgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Pharaohs" was another I'd forgotten about until this week's kick. I like how they lift the guitar solo out of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" and recycle it in a new format.

bigjim25 07-29-11 10:58 PM

Album: Songs From The Big Chair
Song: I can't choose between Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Shout, Mad World, & Head Over Heels. I like them all! ;)

atlantamoi 07-30-11 03:07 AM

The Hurting, easily. However, whenever I hear "Everybody Wants..." I'm still quite impressed. I should be really sick of that song, but I still really enjoy when it comes on the radio. I could live w/out hearing "Shout" ever again on the flip.

OutRun2 07-30-11 03:45 AM

Excellent posts and choices, guys :)

Is ELaHE worth listening to?

gmanca 07-30-11 03:52 AM

Depends; did you like Elemental or Raoul? If you're comfortable with the change to a more adult-contemporary band it's got some good tracks.

I think this is the best track on that album:
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8GkxTsuY8RY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 10872429)
"Pharaohs" was another I'd forgotten about until this week's kick. I like how they lift the guitar solo out of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" and recycle it in a new format.

That's exactly why I like it much more than Everybody Wants to Rule the World; it takes the best part of that song and reworks it into something other than pop.

Daryl 07-31-11 01:02 AM

Album: Songs from the Big Chair - while the chart-topping singles from this album get most of the attention (deservedly so), what puts this album at the top for me is "Mothers Talk", "I Believe", and....

Song: The Working Hour - one of my favorite songs by ANY artist. The sax intro, then the piano, the haunting vocals, finally the sax firing back up over a driving beat for the final 90 seconds - perfection. Back in the day, I used to set the stereo snooze to 60 minutes, throw this on repeat, and let it play over and over until I fell asleep. I never get sick of hearing it

gmanca 07-31-11 01:23 AM

Yeah, that really is one killer smooth jam. Listen is another one of those lightly-volumed tracks where you could doze off to on sleep/repeat.

OutRun2 07-31-11 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Daryl (Post 10873253)

Song: The Working Hour - one of my favorite songs by ANY artist. The sax intro, then the piano, the haunting vocals, finally the sax firing back up over a driving beat for the final 90 seconds - perfection. Back in the day, I used to set the stereo snooze to 60 minutes, throw this on repeat, and let it play over and over until I fell asleep. I never get sick of hearing it

Excellent post and I could NOT have summed it up better! I love TWH to death! The only reason I didn't pic it as my favorite, is because I've pretty much burnt myself out on it and Swords and Knives still feels a bit fresher to me.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-31-11 07:39 AM

I like it but just wished there were more vocals since the singing stops early though I like the instrumental.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wNd4RaOAo_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JANK 07-31-11 08:09 AM

Advice For The Young At Heart !

gmanca 07-31-11 01:34 PM

Oh that's from the Scenes from the Big Chair! I remember buying that VHS from Hollywood Video as it was a real in-depth video on their discography.

Yeah, that's a great version! :up:

JeffTheAlpaca 07-31-11 05:16 PM

From Raoul & The Kings of Spain

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nmT7wjcYMDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>