Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Wilco - The Whole Love - Sep 27

Old 06-29-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wilco - The Whole Love - Sep 27

The greatest American band today, Wilco, will be releasing their new album The Whole Love on September 27.

This is a good thing.

01 Art of Almost
02 I Might
03 Sunloathe
04 Dawned on Me
05 Black Moon
06 Born Alone
07 Open Mind
08 Capitol City
09 Standing O
10 Rising Red Lung
11 Whole Love
12 One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)
Old 06-29-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Wilco - The Whole Love - Sep 27

Old 06-29-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The greatest American band today, Wilco, will be releasing their new album The Whole Love on September 27.
Oh yeah? The greatest album of the year is Black Country Communion 2.
Old 06-29-11, 07:00 PM

Cool, let's hope it has a bit more substance than Wilco The Album.
Old 06-29-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait! One of my favorite bands.
Old 06-30-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not digging the new single. Love everything up to Sky Blue Sky, and even that was decent. Wilco (The Album) sucked minus one or two songs.

I will wait till I hear it, but Tweedy's lyrics just dont do anything for me anymore

I know I am in the COMPLETE minority, but A Ghost is Born is my favorite.
Old 06-30-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I must be in the minority. I haven't liked anything post Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. But I'm still gonna give this a try
Old 07-02-11, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I must be in the minority. I haven't liked anything post Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. But I'm still gonna give this a try
I agree with this, Summerteeth is my favorite of theirs. I enjoy their newer stuff to some extent, but it hasn't been as good since YHF.
Old 07-05-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Not sure if you're a minority or not. Sounds like you just don't like the band.
Old 07-05-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think they are the most important American band of the the last 15 years, but you would have a hard time convincing me that they are the greatest band in America today.

Spoiler:
My Morning Jacket would get my vote.

Furthermore, Wilco (The Album) was a slight disappointment for me. Either way, Jeff is a great artist who I had the pleasure of meeting in '95 when the classic double-disc Being There was released.

My Wilco album rankings in order:
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Being There
Summerteeth
Sky Blue Sky
A Ghost is Born
Wilco (The Album)
AM
Old 07-05-11, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by cwwallace View Post
My Wilco album rankings in order:
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Being There
Summerteeth
Sky Blue Sky
A Ghost is Born
Wilco (The Album)
AM
Swap SBS and AGIB and this is my list, too.

High hopes for the new one. Not expecting BT/ST/YHF quality, but as long as it's better than the last two, I'll be happy.
Old 07-05-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. I wouln't even mention MMJ in the same breath as Wilco.
Old 07-05-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. I wouln't even mention MMJ in the same breath as Wilco.
I know. MMJ is a much better band than Wilco now.
Old 07-05-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
This.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wilco. I have seen them four times. I saw them pre-Jay Bennett, during the Bennett era, and I saw their first performance as a quartet without Bennett in Austin (which was their first post 9/11 concert in September of 2001.) I have also seen this current lineup. Their relevance (Solid Sound Festival aside) has faded in the last 5-6 years. It's almost like they're getting by on reputation. Almost. I will definitely buy this CD, I just don't expect anything revolutionary from them anymore. Are they better than 99% of mainstream crap? Absolutely. Are they the best band in America? No way. If this was 2002, then yes.
Old 07-05-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Ghost is Born
Being There
Summerteeth
YHF
Sky Blue Sky
A.M.
Wilco (The Album)

there are many personal reasons why A Ghost is Born is my favorite. I love the hollowness of the record. It's just really odd and for me, sticks out the most in their discography. It's a truly left-field album compared to everything else they've done. After the YHF hype, combined with Tweedy's drug addiction, I think AGIB encapsulates everything Wilco was at the moment. It's a confusing, misunderstood record.

whoever said they were getting by on reputation hit the nail on the head. No one is going to become a fan by listening to their last two records. At least not as much so as someone who puts in Being There or YHF for the first time. One could say they've gone back to their alt-country roots, but I dont believe they ever left them. The biggest difference for me between Being There and Sky Blue Sky is in Tweedy's songwriting. Sky Blue Sky has some great lyrics, but those on Wilco (The Album), often make me cringe. I wont even put it in anymore, though I will throw I'll Fight on a mix CD from time to time. That is a great song.

Wilco was a band that constantly reinvented themselves. It's definitely not a band I will give up on. They've released four solid records I will never tire of. Albums that defined my life for a few years.

Does everyone remember when they listened to YHF for the first time? I'll never forget it.
Old 07-05-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked AGIB for the most part -- I mean it had to grown on me because it was unconventional -- but what was that 15:00 bundle of crap at the end before "The Late Greats?" That shit bothers me to this day.
Old 07-05-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll take thirteen minutes of guitar feedback over any three consecutive Wilco (The Album) tracks any day. Supposedly to mimic one of Tweedy's migranes, though I agree, doesn't make for the greatest listening experience. The first three minutes of the tracks is so good, I can forgive the rest.

I will say that i've been driving before, and had the record playing, and being in one of those "driving trances", have completely listened to the whole track. Almost like it hypnotized me. If i'm conscious however, I tend to skip it.

The Late Greats is the track I believe is out of place on the record. Would have been great on the More Like the Moon EP or something, but doesn't bring the record to a suitable close.

Love the More Like the Moon EP. That and their Mermaid Ave. tracks are some of my all time favorites from the band.
Old 07-06-11, 06:40 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 View Post
. . . Does everyone remember when they listened to YHF for the first time? I'll never forget it.
Not me. The near legendary impact of that album never hit me like it apparently hit so many. Now, I will never forget listening to Summerteeth for the first time . . . wow!

Old 07-06-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked AGIB for the most part -- I mean it had to grown on me because it was unconventional -- but what was that 15:00 bundle of crap at the end before "The Late Greats?" That shit bothers me to this day.
Yeah Tweedy started believing the hype that he was some great artiste. He's a very good songwriter who wants to be Brian Eno. He's not.
Old 07-06-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
MMJ couldn't carry Nels Cline's water let alone Jeff Tweedy's.

I'd take the Decemberists over MMJ any day as well. MMJ is the overhyped band of the moment.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-06-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tweedy's drug addled mind. That album is vicodin on vinyl.

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 View Post
I'll take thirteen minutes of guitar feedback over any three consecutive Wilco (The Album) tracks any day.
Country Disappeared, Solitaire, I'll Fight
Old 07-06-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Ghost is Born is amazing on vinyl, I read somewhere that it was intended to be heard on vinyl. More Like the Moon or Not for the Season done in the vein of the Ghost is Born sound would have closed the album great. If Less Than You Think had, say 2 minutes of feedback and then Not for the Season (or More Like the Moon) slowly came out of it, I don't think the album would get such a bad rap.

Summerteeth will always be wonderful to me, but it just seems more like a collection of excellent songs rather than a cohesive album for the band. There is no unity in that material, which is what draws me to Being There, YHF, and AGIB. It's still fucking awesome.

I hate the song Solitaire, and dont care for Country Disappeared.

Nels is an excellent guitar player, undeniable. He just dominates most Wilco songs to the point where I can't listen to it too many times. His greatest moment in the band is the extended solo for Ashes of American Flags on Kicking Television. Otherwise, it's like every song slows down for a little showoff time for Cline.

And Tweedy's live singing is getting worse, IMO. Funny since he quit smoking and using, he just can't sustain a note like he used to and often falls out of tune.

And that new single sucks. Almost as bad as Wilco (The Song).
Old 07-06-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MMJ couldn't carry Nels Cline's water let alone Jeff Tweedy's.

I'd take the Decemberists over MMJ any day as well. MMJ is the overhyped band of the moment.
For the moment? MMJ has released four good major label albums in the past 10 years (It Still Moves, Z, Evil Urges, and now Circuital) that challenge the listener, take chances, continue to grow musically, and absolutely do not follow the straight and narrow. They have balls. Wilco has its own label now -they have complete creative freedom. They need to take a step forward. Maybe they will.

As for Nels Cline, could he act any more arrogant?

Click the link and watch MMJ on Jimmy Fallon. Freaking amazing. Carl Broemel needs no lessons from Nels Cline. http://thetaleofthetape.com/2011/mus...n-w-circuital/

As for the Decemberists - I really love them. Picaresque and Crane Wife were good, but I couldn't get into The Hazards of Love.. Although the last song (Hazards of Love 4) is killer. The King is Dead is amazing though.
Old 07-06-11, 01:22 PM

Country Disappeared, Solitaire, I'll Fight
I'd go with

One Wing/Bull Black Nova/You and I

Or

Deeper Down/One Wing/BBN

Either one, as long as One Wing and BBN are included. They're the standout tracks on that album by far in my opinion.
Old 07-06-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't say MMJ challenges the listener. They are OK but nothing spectacular. Wilco on the other hand, they CAN challenge the listener as evidenced by their seamless transition between genres and sounds (plus James voice is way more annoying then Jeff's). I'd give ANY MMJ jacket album up forever for any Wilco album without even blinking. To me and most people I know, they aren't even in the same league.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.