DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/592135-black-country-communion-2-album-year.html)

B5Erik 06-25-11 06:55 PM

Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

In rapid fire succession Black Country Communion has just put out their 2nd album, titled simply 2, only NINE MONTHS after the release of their first album.

And it is arguably even better than their first, which was a great 70's Rock type of album.

In case anyone forgot (or just doesn't know) the band is made up of former Deep Purple singer/bass player Glenn Hughes, blues rock guitar player Joe Bonamassa, legendary drummer Jason Bonham, and former Dream Theater keyboard player Derek Sherinian.

Here's the first video for the new album...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hy6WLBvBXaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love these guys. Great stuff (if you like Purple, Zep, and Bad Company).

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...mmunion2ad.gif

B5Erik 06-25-11 11:34 PM

Re: Black Country Communion 2 - the album of the year

Some more from the album...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E1kQfnk2CtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_egg10prx1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ctNd7A-ju14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sure more will show up soon, but this album really is good. Fantastic band.

Mayoman 06-26-11 09:52 AM

I wouldn't say Jason Bonham is legendary....his dad obviously yes, but Jason, no.

JOE29 06-26-11 10:01 AM

I like them. Loved their first cd. I've heard cuts from 2 but not the whole thing. I went around to FYE and Best Buy last week to buy it and it wasn't there. Best Buy sucks for getting cd's. But I tried anyway. Ended up getting the new Rods cd, which was excellent and Queen A Day at the Races which was horrible except for two songs. Anyway from what I heard I still like BCC's first cd better.
Has more of a nastier edge to it. This one sounds like they went a bit more commercial. But i'll pick it up and judge it better when that happens.

cungar 06-26-11 10:42 AM

This thread's title. Hyperbole of the year.

B5Erik 06-26-11 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mayoman (Post 10831778)
I wouldn't say Jason Bonham is legendary....his dad obviously yes, but Jason, no.

That depends on who you're talking to.

Anyone who is a hard rock afficionado is well aware of Jason Bonham and just how good he is. He's arguably a better drummer than his dad was, and his career has lasted twice as long. Jason's played for Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin, UFO, Foreigner, and has a pretty long list of credits beyond those bands to his name.

Hell, he recorded his first album as a full band member with U.K. group Airrace when he was only 18! He's been doing this for 27 years now, that alone given the fact that he has always been in demand makes him something of a legend in the business. The fact that he is the son of a legend and has managed to equal or surpass his father's playing is just icing on the cake.

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10831837)
This thread's title. Hyperbole of the year.

Maybe, but sometimes hyperbole has it's place - like when you really, honestly think an album is great, for example. ;)

rw2516 06-26-11 05:02 PM

Wasn't Bonham the drummer on that reality tv show about a band? Ted Nugent was the guitarist. I remember "Out On The Tiles" was one of the songs they were learning and Nugent had trouble because the song was too complex for his playing ability.

B5Erik 06-26-11 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 10832152)
Wasn't Bonham the drummer on that reality tv show about a band? Ted Nugent was the guitarist. I remember "Out On The Tiles" was one of the songs they were learning and Nugent had trouble because the song was too complex for his playing ability.

Yeah, Jason was the drummer.

Nugent didn't have any problems with it - it was Sebastian Bach who was having problems with it. It was on the highest part of his range and he was straining really hard to hit the notes and didn't sound good doing it.

Rocketdog2000 06-26-11 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 10831860)
That depends on who you're talking to.

Anyone who is a hard rock afficionado is well aware of Jason Bonham and just how good he is. He's arguably a better drummer than his dad was, and his career has lasted twice as long. Jason's played for Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin, UFO, Foreigner, and has a pretty long list of credits beyond those bands to his name.

Hell, he recorded his first album as a full band member with U.K. group Airrace when he was only 18! He's been doing this for 27 years now, that alone given the fact that he has always been in demand makes him something of a legend in the business. The fact that he is the son of a legend and has managed to equal or surpass his father's playing is just icing on the cake.

Maybe, but sometimes hyperbole has it's place - like when you really, honestly think an album is great, for example. ;)

Not to mention his own, self-titled band - Bonham - who put out two albums in '89 (The Disregard of Timekeeping) and '92 (Mad Hatter). They even had a hit with the song "Wait For You" off the debut.

rw2516 06-27-11 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 10832314)
Not to mention his own, self-titled band - Bonham - who put out two albums in '89 (The Disregard of Timekeeping) and '92 (Mad Hatter). They even had a hit with the song "Wait For You" off the debut.

That the song Robert Plant sings? Sounds lot like Zep.

Rocketdog2000 06-27-11 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 10832533)
That the song Robert Plant sings? Sounds lot like Zep.

Plant doesn't sing on it, but it does sound like him.

The Bus 06-28-11 06:31 AM

But... is it as good as Animalize?

B5Erik 06-28-11 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 10834062)
But... is it as good as Animalize?

No, but then again, what album is? Back in Black? Zeppelin IV? Who's Next?

I think NOT! ;)

In all seriousness, Black Country Communion 2 is a fantastic album if you like Zep, Deep Purple, and Bad Company. If you don't, then you probably won't like it.

rw2516 06-28-11 01:56 PM

Joe Bonamassa has some killer albums also.

benedict 07-02-11 08:31 AM

If you like the oldschool style then also try Stuart Smith's Heaven & Earth.

johnbook 07-02-11 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 10834193)
No, but then again, what album is? Back in Black? Zeppelin IV? Who's Next?

I think NOT! ;)

In all seriousness, Black Country Communion 2 is a fantastic album if you like Zep, Deep Purple, and Bad Company. If you don't, then you probably won't like it.

I love Zeppelin, Love 80's Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" and the song "Call of the Wild" from 87, and love 80's/90's Bad Company with Brian Howe, these guy's Black Country Communion, yeah i like them not bad.

BearFan 07-02-11 07:41 PM

I think I like the first album a bit better, but this is still a good one. Real good band, I hope they stay around for a while.

rider555 07-05-11 12:47 AM

I'm just thrilled that Hughes is back to doing rock.That whole blues/funk thing was not my cup of tea at all.

CRM114 07-05-11 10:16 AM

Yeah, you can see this stuff at any bar any day of the week. What's with my accountant on lead guitar? Zzzzzz.

johnbook 07-05-11 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 10831475)
In rapid fire succession Black Country Communion has just put out their 2nd album, titled simply 2, only NINE MONTHS after the release of their first album.

And it is arguably even better than their first, which was a great 70's Rock type of album.

In case anyone forgot (or just doesn't know) the band is made up of former Deep Purple singer/bass player Glenn Hughes, blues rock guitar player Joe Bonamassa, legendary drummer Jason Bonham, and former Dream Theater keyboard player Derek Sherinian.

Here's the first video for the new album...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hy6WLBvBXaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love these guys. Great stuff (if you like Purple, Zep, and Bad Company).

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...mmunion2ad.gif

Good song, the way Glenn moves around so much he reminds me of Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots), hell they kinda resemble each other, accept for the age difference.

comanche_doyle 07-05-11 12:35 PM

Derek's new solo album is supposed to be out at the end of the summer, and I'll be picking that up.

InnocentBlood 07-05-11 10:38 PM

Thanks to this thread, I picked up both albums. Am listening to the first one currently and it’s REALLY good :) will give it 2 more spins before I pop in the 2nd album.

InnocentBlood 07-08-11 05:48 AM

just listened to the 2nd album - wow :) i think "2" is a much stronger album than the debut. gonna give it a few more spins...