Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Guided by Voices

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guided by Voices

Is anyone here a fan? They are playing at a festival here in August and I am thinking about going to see them. Does anyone know if they are any good live?
Old 06-13-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Guided by Voices

Well to say I'm a fan is an understatement. They are easily my favorite band of the last decade mainly because Robert Pollard is the most brilliant songwriter I've come across in a long time. I discovered the band in 2002 when Isolation Drills came out and since then I have purchased literally dozens of CDs that Robert Pollard has produced with GBV, solo, his latest band Boston Spaceships and the myriad of other projects that he has helmed.

Yes they are fantastic live. This tour is a reunion tour of what's considered their "classic period" in the 90s which produced the albums Bee Thousand (considered their masterpiece), Alien Lanes, Under the Bushes, Under the Trees, and Propeller.

Why do I love Robert Pollard so much? Because he writes song after song after song that you can't get out of your head for days. I could literally name 100 songs by them that could compete with the best of classic rock of the last 40 years. Because he produces little known albums that have as many great songs as U2 or REM has produced in the last 15 years.

He has already come out with 4 albums this year and every one of them is either very good or great. This summer his band Boston Spaceships (with drummer John Moen of the Decemberists) is coming out with it's first double album "Let it Beard" and it's sounds to be one of his best.

The band drinks on stage, sometimes plays sloppy and are all over 50, but they are the very essence of rock and roll to me. Great songs, loud instruments and a singer with passion.
Old 06-13-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They have horrible taste in beer though. Budweiser? come on!
Old 06-14-11, 06:27 AM

I really like GBV's records, especially Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes. If they aren't considered classics they should be. Those and the best of comp (Human Amusements at Hourly Rates) I recommend for people that need to catch up.

I prefer the sound of the records, but I'd probably see them live if they were to keep reuniting.
Old 06-14-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I just saw this announcement about a GBV tribute:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/1...hurston-moore/
Old 06-16-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I love the band but live can be hit or miss -- to be frank Pollard drinks wayyyyy too much during the shows, which is fun in a carnival kind of way but frequently means by halfway through he's slurring his words and pitching all over the stage. Fine if you're into that, but an awful lot of the magic of the songs is lost when they just all become drunken singalongs. Maybe just me though - I saw 'em live twice and the first time when he was sober was a lot better than the 3-hour marathon on the farewell tour.

But the records, especially Vampire on Titus right on through Do the Collapse in my mind, are golden. Bee Thousand/Alien Lanes are just about as perfect as an album gets if you ask me!
Old 06-16-11, 11:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw them live last year. They kicked some serious ass. Good to see the classic line up together as well.
Old 06-17-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I saw them live last year. They kicked some serious ass. Good to see the classic line up together as well.
I am leaning towards going. I really want to see Cursive and that Jewish rapper guy is playing as well.
Old 06-17-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I love the band but live can be hit or miss -- to be frank Pollard drinks wayyyyy too much during the shows, which is fun in a carnival kind of way but frequently means by halfway through he's slurring his words and pitching all over the stage. Fine if you're into that, but an awful lot of the magic of the songs is lost when they just all become drunken singalongs. Maybe just me though - I saw 'em live twice and the first time when he was sober was a lot better than the 3-hour marathon on the farewell tour.

But the records, especially Vampire on Titus right on through Do the Collapse in my mind, are golden. Bee Thousand/Alien Lanes are just about as perfect as an album gets if you ask me!
Yeah the onstage drinking is probably my least favorite aspect of the band. I've seen one of these shows where Pollard gets obliterated and it was pretty pathetic by the end. Especially since he's a pretty amazing singer and performer when he's halfway sober.

The show I saw last year on the reunion tour was a different story. There was some drinking but no one got plastered. And yes Bee Thousand/Alien Lanes are perfect but my favorite is Under the Bushes, Under the Stars.
Old 06-18-11, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw them twice last year (kickoff show in Dallas and Matador @ 21) and both shows were great in their own way. It really depends on the crowd - they will put on a good show, but I would really rather see them in a small club/theatre than on a huge festival stage. If you are curious, there are quite a few clips from Sasquatch on ytube - that should be a good comparison.