DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Limp Bizkit - Gold Cobra (Due June 28th) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/591737-limp-bizkit-gold-cobra-due-june-28th.html)

mzupeman2 06-12-11 09:29 AM

Limp Bizkit - Gold Cobra (Due June 28th)

This thread isn't to discuss the merit of Limp Bizkit in the music world, so if you're going to flame, please, just keep it to yourself.

I'm here to inform you all that Limp Bizkit, and yes, with the original line-up at that (Wes Borland back on guitar), is coming back with a full studio effort titled Gold Cobra.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Four songs over the last year or so have been leaked/released from the band, as well as Interscope. Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJz589VeNlk
Why Try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...otation_794788
Walking Away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYfk...eature=related
Shotgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCEIwa9GJdg
Gold Cobra

If you liked Limp Bizkit before, you're going to love them now. Fred is apparently spittin' the best flow of lyrics ever, the music itself is typical Bizkit but with a heavier edge than what was found on Significant Other or Chocolate Starfish... looks promising.

astrochimp 06-12-11 09:54 AM

Re: Limp Bizkit - Gold Cobra (Due June 28th)

Funny 'cuz i just had Chocolate Starfish in my car this past week. Glad Wes is back :up:

mzupeman2 06-12-11 10:00 AM

It's not the first time he's been back, actually. The band did an EP album called 'The Unquestionable Truth Part 1' in 2005. There were some major problems within the band though... Fred and Wes weren't getting along still, John (the drummer) was having some drug problems and only got to record on a single song, and then they split again. Seems like they're all genuinely enjoying each others company this time, and they've been touring overseas for like, the last year. Here's a track from TUTp1:

Definitely a darker LB vibe... very different. But as you can hear from the Gold Cobra songs posted above, they're definitely back in their zone that made them so enjoyable back in the day.

EdTheRipper 06-12-11 10:38 AM

I've always been a Limp fan. I despised The Unquestionable Truth EP, so I'm glad to hear that these newer songs are a return to the old sound. I'll definitely pick this one up.

SeekOnce 06-12-11 11:10 AM

Wow, I didn't think we'd ever hear new material from them again.

I gotta say, I'm really digging Walking Away.

mzupeman2 06-12-11 11:30 AM

Agreed. Boiler has been my favorite LB song for quite some time... I really like when they make a serious song. Walking Away is right up there for me.

Dan 06-12-11 12:09 PM

I'll give it a listen, since I was a fan of the first two albums and kind of liked The Unquestionable Truth, Pt 1 EP.

Mike86 06-12-11 12:57 PM

I honestly didn't know they were still together. I liked some of their hits back in the day, but I don't think I like them enough to want to buy a new album from them.

cdollaz 06-12-11 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 (Post 10813569)
This thread isn't to discuss the merit of Limp Bizkit in the music world, so if you're going to flame, please, just keep it to yourself.

Are we allowed to discuss the merits of that album cover?

Maxflier 06-12-11 01:41 PM

Shotgun kinda sucks, but the other 3 songs are good. Especially Why Try and Walking Away. I'm a long time LB fan and so I'm very much looking forward to the new album.

Tarantino 06-12-11 04:09 PM

I liked the first two albums, so I'd be down to give this a chance,

Spiderbite 06-12-11 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 10813705)
Shotgun kinda sucks, but the other 3 songs are good. Especially Why Try and Walking Away. I'm a long time LB fan and so I'm very much looking forward to the new album.

I kinda like Shotgun. I heard it the other day on XM and thought it was some old LB song that I just had never heard. I didn't realize it was a new song from a upcoming album.

mzupeman2 06-12-11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 10813675)
Are we allowed to discuss the merits of that album cover?

LOL, of course. I just didn't want this thread to turn into a, "Limp Bizkit sucks and Fred is a whiny tool" kinda thing, because whenever there's talk about LB, it kinda devolves into that kind of a discussion.

I agree, the new album cover is something that I was like, "Ugh", about when I first saw it... but it's grown on me. It's typical Bizkit. It's kinda cool and weird and silly, just like they've always been. They had another cover Wes did probably a year or so ago, and I think that original one was infinitely better:

http://achrosite.co.cc/wp-content/up...lbum_cover.jpg

edstein 06-12-11 08:27 PM

That album art is horrendous. Love Wes, glad he's back.

foofighters7 06-12-11 09:40 PM

So what homosexual reference does 'Gold Cobra' elude to?

mzupeman2 06-14-11 05:36 AM

http://soundcloud.com/thearmpit/gold-cobra-preview

LB fansite is streaming all the 1 minute preview clips of the album.

Michael Corvin 06-14-11 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 (Post 10813818)

This is, hands down, the better cover.

Geofferson 06-14-11 09:10 AM

Yeah, I much prefer the alternate cover as well. Either way, looking forward to checking this out.

covenant 06-14-11 09:57 AM

I dunno, the first one kinda reminds me of a Gauguin.

mattysemo247 07-08-11 09:58 PM

Did anyone pick up the Best Buy release with the four extra songs? Is it worth it?

DVD Josh 07-09-11 06:33 AM

I like SO and CSF but this album sucks start to finish.

Osiris3657 07-09-11 10:52 PM

I'll freely admit that Limp Bizkit were my favorite band in middle school when they were at their peak, both artistically(yea yea) and in popularity in the late 90's to early 2000's (my favorite band now is Radiohead, so my tastes have altered drastically since then).

I just gave this new album a listen not really expecting much and for nostalgia's sake since it was the original lineup. Honestly I was embarrassed listening to it and just shook my head.

Two of my other favorite bands from the time I liked LB were Linkin Park and Papa Roach. I wouldn't call myself a fan of them anymore, but I at least respect the fact that they realized rap metal is dead and moved on to become more rock oriented and I wish LB would have tried the same (yes I realize Linkin Park still does some rap metal stuff, but they have definitely changed since their first album).

This new album attempts to "recapture the magic" from their glory days, and it's just terrible. If they are going to continue making records they need to completely rebuild the band in terms of style and genre if they want to become relevant again.

mattysemo247 07-11-11 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 10848061)
I'll freely admit that Limp Bizkit were my favorite band in middle school when they were at their peak, both artistically(yea yea) and in popularity in the late 90's to early 2000's (my favorite band now is Radiohead, so my tastes have altered drastically since then).

I just gave this new album a listen not really expecting much and for nostalgia's sake since it was the original lineup. Honestly I was embarrassed listening to it and just shook my head.

Two of my other favorite bands from the time I liked LB were Linkin Park and Papa Roach. I wouldn't call myself a fan of them anymore, but I at least respect the fact that they realized rap metal is dead and moved on to become more rock oriented and I wish LB would have tried the same (yes I realize Linkin Park still does some rap metal stuff, but they have definitely changed since their first album).

This new album attempts to "recapture the magic" from their glory days, and it's just terrible. If they are going to continue making records they need to completely rebuild the band in terms of style and genre if they want to become relevant again.

On the flip side, I actually liked the new album. It was nothing ground breaking, but at least they stuck to their roots. I too was a HUGE Linkin Park fan. Have all of their CDs and went to 5 or 6 of their concerts. But after a Thousand Suns came out, I lost all hope and interest in that band. So even though Fred still can’t seem to write lyrics, it was nice to hear a familiar sound after all of these years.

Dan1boy 07-11-11 02:24 PM

I agree wholeheatedly with what mattysemo said. It's not groundbreaking but damn, it's a lot of fun, good to listen to while at the gym and, most importantly...very familiar.

Nothing wrong with that. People, stop being such critics and just enjoy the music. Sheesh.

DVD Josh 07-12-11 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy (Post 10849667)
I agree wholeheatedly with what mattysemo said. It's not groundbreaking but damn, it's a lot of fun, good to listen to while at the gym and, most importantly...very familiar.

Nothing wrong with that. People, stop being such critics and just enjoy the music. Sheesh.

But to us, it's not enjoyable, it's just terrible.