Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Opeth - Heritage (9/20/11)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Opeth - Heritage (9/20/11)

Old 09-12-11, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Opeth - Heritage (9/20/11)

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
There are parts that I really like (like the end of Folklore), but I do believe this is their "St. Anger".

Very unfocused, meander-y songs - lots of patchwork songwriting. Pretty sad that this and DT are 0-for-2 on big releases this week. Maybe Arch/Matheos will be worth it.

I feel the complete opposite. I think the new DT album is the best they've done since Train of Thought (which I liked a lot) and probably the most I've enjoyed Rudess' playing and patches on any of their albums.

I also rank this in the upper regions of the Opeth discography. Ghost Reveries lost me a little bit, and Watershed took a long time to grow on me, and I really think this is their best since Blackwater Park.

Any St. Anger comparison's lose me, since I think that's about as bad as music gets, from a band that hasn't done anything worthwhile in a very very long time.

I don't know everyone else's taste in music here, so I won't even attempt to assume anything, but I listen to an assload of music that isn't metal, so Opeth releasing a very not-metal album is fine by me, and I don't really care if they ever go back to growling, even if I do love Mikael's growls. I do think the second half of the album is stronger than the first half, and "Folklore" is probably my favorite song.
Old 09-12-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

IMHO, they should have just put Opeth on the backburner for a while, start up a side project, and get this crappy style out of their system. Then when they are ready to be metal again, come back to Opeth re-invigerated
Old 09-13-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just to clarify - I didn't mean this album is as bad as St. Anger. I meant it as this is their weakest release. It's still light years ahead of that steaming pile Metallica released.

And that said it's still continuing to grow on me. I definitely like the mood of it. I have zero problem with it being light or no death growls etc. I'm just not crazy about the structures of the some of the tunes.

And for the second straight record, one of the best tracks from the sessions is released as an extra track. I just heard "Pyre" - really nice. Just like "Derelict Herds" was easily one of my favorite tracks from Watershed.

BTW, I don't get a lot of the down feelings about Watershed. I put it on par with Ghost Reveries for sure and loved most of it right away. It was experimental in spots but still had a ton of balls and maybe some of the most beautiful parts of Opeth yet.

I won't lie though - I'd love to hear more "death metal" from Opeth.
Old 09-15-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The more I've listened to this, the less I like it. And the more annoyed I am that Mikael didn't just make this a side project.

You know it's bad when the two songs I like the most are the instrumental bookends. Never thought I'd be saying that about an Opeth release.
Old 09-16-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the band performing "Pyre", one of Heritage's b-sides, on Swedish TV:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/poDyUsQj2wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-18-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI: This month's Rock Hard Magazine (German Publication) features an interview with Opeth and includes a bonus CD featuring one track from the new album as well as five live tracks recorded at the Rock Hard Festival in 2009. Great recording. Just received the issue yesterday.
Old 09-20-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So... the set for the first night is out, and I'm seriously considering selling my tix. I've seen them do the mellow/acoustic set before, and this set sounds like it'll put me to sleep.

The Devil's Orchard
I Feel The Dark
Face Of Melinda
Porcelain Heart
Nepenthe
Throat Of Winter
Credence
Patterns In The Ivy 2
Closure
Slither
A Fair Judgement
Hex Omega
Folklore
Old 09-20-11, 04:06 PM

I've refrained from listening to the album until today, wanting to listen to it properly with no distractions and headphones. Well I know that this album is going to alienate a chunk of fans, but honestly I love it.

I'm real glad they don't attempt to make BWP 2, but are willing to take chances musically. Honestly I get bored of listening to death metal bands or AC/DC where all the songs have the same basic sound (even though I still like both dm and acdc). I think it's really damn cool that I can put Opeth on shuffle on my computer and there is such a variety of sounds I can literally listen to their entire discography without getting bored.

I think the clean vocals work real well and for me at least I love it. That's all I can really even say.
Old 09-20-11, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm a little bummed that the entire Opeth set from the 1st concert is mellow, and only includes 1 song from Damnation to boot (apparently a snippet, however long that is). A couple 'harder' songs would be a nice change-up.

And the album is growing on me, though (and this might be blasphemy for prog fans) I wish some of the songs were shorter.
Old 09-20-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone want my ticket to the Fox show on 10/21? $30.

Didn't ever expect to be in this position, but I've seen Opeth play enough that a boring set like this can be missed.

Edit: Ah, fuck it. Maybe I'll go after all.

Last edited by islandclaws; 09-21-11 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 12:41 AM

I know it's a vain wish, but I'm hoping a mellow set list gets rid of most annoying metal heads, so I can enjoy a show without getting knocked around.

I'm capable of holding my own, but I appreciate shows where I don't have to spend half the concert making sure I don't get kicked in the back of the head.
Old 09-21-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
So... the set for the first night is out, and I'm seriously considering selling my tix. I've seen them do the mellow/acoustic set before, and this set sounds like it'll put me to sleep.

The Devil's Orchard
I Feel The Dark
Face Of Melinda
Porcelain Heart
Nepenthe
Throat Of Winter
Credence
Patterns In The Ivy 2
Closure
Slither
A Fair Judgement
Hex Omega
Folklore
Well, this'll be interesting. Way less excited about seeing them on the 4th. I'm wondering how well the typical Opeth audience is going to respond to a set like that. I can't see it going over too well.
Old 09-21-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Well, this'll be interesting. Way less excited about seeing them on the 4th. I'm wondering how well the typical Opeth audience is going to respond to a set like that. I can't see it going over too well.
I remember seeing them on the Damnation tour co-headlining with Porcupine Tree. They played Damnation in its entirety, plus one other mellow song. I thought it was a great set, but other Opeth fans at the show were pretty pissed about the lack of any heavy material.
Old 09-28-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Goddamn, I woulda killed to see them with PT. Last I saw Opeth was on Deliverance tour but the show was so full of dumb ass posers it killed the show. Havent seen them since.

I got SE version today. Love how the 3d cover has the keyboarders head falling off the tree into the fire below. I think Ill hear the 5.1, pop in Split Second and drink some Bacardi.
Old 09-29-11, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mordred
Outside of one or two assholes yelling, the Nashville crowd seemed to absolutely love it tonight.
Old 09-29-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pretty good CD. Its no Still Water but Opeth hasnt been the same since after BWP. That 5.1 sounds awesome, and sure enough the extra tracks are 2 of the best
Old 09-30-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I came in here to see if the album is as mellow as the Amazon clips would lead you to believe since I love Damnation but none of their metal stuff. By the looks of all the posts on this page(seems like I have my answer), I'm going to LOVE it.
Old 09-30-11, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I'd say if you love Damnation, then you will love Heritage. It has a few heavy moments, but no cookie monster. I enjoyed the new songs live, too.