Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lady Gaga- Born This Way FULL ALBUM- 99 cents Today only!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lady Gaga- Born This Way FULL ALBUM- 99 cents Today only!

Old 05-24-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lady Gaga- Born This Way FULL ALBUM- 99 cents Today only!

I really love the album, been listening to it all day long. Edge of Glory is still my favorite though.

However, the cover is really horrible. Someone should've stopped that from happening. It looks like it was printed up in someone's basement, certainly not the cover of a major label by a known talent.

Will probably also pick up the deluxe eventually.
Old 05-24-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
This album is fucking horrible. Amazon was doing us a service.
I think one of the things is that all of the songs just kind of run together, and IMO, there isn't much that's memorable.

"You and I" for instance, is a great live song. But my goodness, the producer in charge did an awful job mixing that one etc for the album.
Old 05-24-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only listened up through Hair, but overall I'm not impressed. Love Marry The Night, but other than that the rest all sort of blend together and are overall forgettable. Obviously I still have a lot left to listen to, but I can't imagine replaying some of the ones I've listened to yet; again, with the exception of Marry The Night which is great.

Her first album, on the other hand, I regularly listened to from start-to-finish without skipping a track. That was a great album.
Old 05-24-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 162 Posts

The album is alright. It feels like the most "Vanilla" thing she's recorded thus far. Who knows maybe it'll grow on me with more listens.

My younger brother, who is just recently getting a feel for what kind of music he likes, thought the album he downloaded was a fake because it "doesn't even sound like Lady Gaga"
Old 05-24-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,195 Likes on 1,412 Posts

From today's New York Times:

May 23, 2011
Lady Gaga Sale Stalls Amazon Servers
By BEN SISARIO

Lady Gaga has made herself a paragon of pop ambition and a spokeswoman for equal rights, but on Monday she became an unwitting symbol for something else: the pitfalls of cloud computing.

“Born This Way” (Interscope), her new album, arrived with a blitz of marketing, and Amazon surprised the singer’s fans by offering a one-day sale of the MP3 version of the album for 99 cents, a full $11 less than its price at iTunes, the Web’s dominant music retailer.

The discount was widely seen as a way for Amazon to promote its new Cloud Drive service, which allows users to store music files on remote servers and stream them over the Internet to their computer or smartphone. But Amazon may have underestimated the zeal (or thrift) of Lady Gaga’s fans. By early afternoon the company’s servers stalled, and many users were unable to download or listen to the album in full. Frustrated customers quickly took to Twitter and to Amazon’s user review page for “Born This Way.”

“Very disappointed,” a customer wrote in a one-star review of the album. “I guess next time I will pay full price and get the album immediately on iTunes.”

Amazon’s only public comment on the matter was a Twitter message, sent about 1:15 p.m. Eastern time: “We’re currently experiencing very high volume. If you order today, you will get the full @ladygaga album for $.99. Thanks for your patience.”

Most music companies see cloud services — which promise that all your music will be available on all your devices at any time — as the next frontier for the industry. And for the retailers and technology companies that will operate them, such services have become in important battleground. Google unveiled its own cloud service, Music Beta, this month, and Apple was said to be close to introducing its own.

Amazon offers customers five free gigabytes of space on its Cloud Service and increases it to 20 gigabytes for customers who buy an album.

“What Amazon is trying to do is build up as much share as possible before Apple comes in,” said Russ Crupnick, an analyst with NPD Group, a market research firm.

Some analysts and music executives said the problem could affect confidence in an unfamiliar technology. Last month a variety of Web sites, from start-ups like GroupMe.com to The New York Times, were affected by a failure on servers that Amazon rents for cloud computing.

“It’s perhaps not a fatal flaw that this happened, but it certainly creates a challenge for them,” said Matthew Eastwood, an analyst at IDC, a firm that researches technology. “There is not a lot of forgiveness for things like this in the market. People will tend to move on and find other suppliers.”

Amazon introduced its MP3 store in 2007, but it has struggled to compete with iTunes. Late last year the NPD Group estimated that iTunes’s share of the digital download market was 66.2 percent and Amazon’s was 13.3 percent.

Amazon often sells albums through one-day promotions for $4 or $5. Music executives have said that Amazon usually accepts the loss if it sells an album for less than the wholesale price charged by the labels, which is typically around $7 an album but may be more for a priority release. Amazon declined to comment beyond its Twitter message, and a representative of Lady Gaga’s record label, Interscope, did not respond to e-mails requesting comment.

Other industry observers questioned whether Amazon’s error with Lady Gaga downloads would have a lasting effect on such a popular store.

“People are having a headache for one dollar,” said Tamara Conniff, a former editor of Billboard who is the founder of TheComet.com, a music news and opinion site. “They’d be willing to try it again for another dollar. Full price is another story.”
Old 05-24-11, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think all the fame went to her head and she forgot what got her there in the first place. It wasn't meat bras or horns or anything, it was the fact that she wrote smart catchy pop songs. Hopefully she remembers that on her next album.
Old 05-24-11, 04:15 PM

I like the album overall. Really like the last half of the album (10 to 17). Actually now that I think about it, the only two tracks I'm not sold on yet are "Americano" and "Black Jesus + Amen Fashion". Everything else sounds great to me. But the last half of the album is my favorite.

I think what would've made the album better though is if she would've had a ballad or two. For example,"You and I" should sound like it does live. I mean I don't hate the album version, but it sounds much better live.

Last edited by Naughty!; 05-24-11 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I think all the fame went to her head and she forgot what got her there in the first place. It wasn't meat bras or horns or anything, it was the fact that she wrote smart catchy pop songs. Hopefully she remembers that on her next album.
I think you nailed it on the head. There are 5 or 6 songs on the album that I like, but the rest is pretty sub-par IMO.
Old 05-25-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I disagree. The more control she's gained in her career, the more success she's had. She certainly won't go back to singing songs like most of the songs of The Fame. Just because you don't like the album, it doesn't mean that she should change her style. It is who she is and I don't think she will change. Just don't buy her music next time.
Old 05-25-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, don't ever mess with a Lady Gaga fanatic. You'll unleash the wrath of an angry little monster.
Old 05-25-11, 01:17 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
I disagree. The more control she's gained in her career, the more success she's had. She certainly won't go back to singing songs like most of the songs of The Fame. Just because you don't like the album, it doesn't mean that she should change her style. It is who she is and I don't think she will change. Just don't buy her music next time.
The style didn't bother me. The fact that half the songs were completely forgettable bothered me. I like Lady Gaga, but the image can only carry you so far. You need to also make great music for people to continue to care. I doubt we'd be talking about David Bowie today if all he did was dress up in glam costumes and wrote forgettable music. I want to hear Lady Gaga's equivalent of Ziggy Stardust, and this wasn't it.
Old 05-25-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The style didn't bother me. The fact that half the songs were completely forgettable bothered me. I like Lady Gaga, but the image can only carry you so far. You need to also make great music for people to continue to care. I doubt we'd be talking about David Bowie today if all he did was dress up in glam costumes and wrote forgettable music. I want to hear Lady Gaga's equivalent of Ziggy Stardust, and this wasn't it.
Well I personally think the songs on the new album are much superior to the ones on The Fame (half of which I can't stand). The reviews of Born This Way are pretty good also so I think most people would say she's gotten better musically. If you don't like it that's fine, but don't just say she's not making good music. I get it, the songs aren't as accessible to the general public. Although my opinion isn't any better than yours so maybe she is making terrible music now LOL. I just really love this new album. People who should be considered forgettable are Katy Perry and Britney Spears. They can't sing to save their lives and they have no involvement in their own career. They're just puppets to their labels.
Old 05-25-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
Well I personally think the songs on the new album are much superior to the ones on The Fame (half of which I can't stand). The reviews of Born This Way are pretty good also so I think most people would say she's gotten better musically. If you don't like it that's fine, but don't just say she's not making good music. I get it, the songs aren't as accessible to the general public. Although my opinion isn't any better than yours so maybe she is making terrible music now LOL. I just really love this new album. People who should be considered forgettable are Katy Perry and Britney Spears. They can't sing to save their lives and they have no involvement in their own career. They're just puppets to their labels.
You shut your mouth about legs McPerry.
Old 05-25-11, 01:56 PM
Banned by request

I don't disagree that Gaga is clearly an artist while Katy Perry or Britney Spears are just voice boxes for other people. But it's specifically because Gaga has so much control over her output that I have higher expectations for her. I just assume Perry or Britney will make crappy music and ignore them.

And I think you're blowing what I'm saying out of proportion. I don't think the album is bad. I just think it's less interesting or memorable than The Fame or The Fame Monster. And I think a big part of that is that Gaga is focusing on image and not on music. I'm not saying her career is over or that she's talentless, just that this particular set of songs seems to have suffered. Most artists don't hit a home run every time they're up to bat. I hope that her next album is better than anything we've heard from her so far.
Old 05-25-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

here's how I'd rate the tracks.

1. Heavy Metal Lover
2. Bloody Mary
3. Scheibe
4. You & I
5. Hair
6. Black Jesus
7. Fashion of His Love
8. Electric Chapel
9. The Edge of Glory
10. Judas
11. Government Hooker
12. Born This Way
13. Marry the Night
14. Bad Kids
15. Americano
16. Highway Unicorn
17. The Queen
Old 05-25-11, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lady Gaga has finally gotten Rihanna's Umbrella out of my head after being stuck there for five damn years. Americano is going to drive me insane now.
Old 05-25-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't disagree that Gaga is clearly an artist while Katy Perry or Britney Spears are just voice boxes for other people. But it's specifically because Gaga has so much control over her output that I have higher expectations for her. I just assume Perry or Britney will make crappy music and ignore them.

And I think you're blowing what I'm saying out of proportion. I don't think the album is bad. I just think it's less interesting or memorable than The Fame or The Fame Monster. And I think a big part of that is that Gaga is focusing on image and not on music. I'm not saying her career is over or that she's talentless, just that this particular set of songs seems to have suffered. Most artists don't hit a home run every time they're up to bat. I hope that her next album is better than anything we've heard from her so far.
I dunno, I just find this album superior musically to her last records. I can see why some people wouldn't like it though since the album is kind of weird production-wise but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 05-26-11, 09:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts

There's a new thread, but for subscribers of this thread, it's 99 cents again today (5/26/11).
Old 05-26-11, 01:25 PM

After listening to the album for the past few days, I've come to the conclusion that I think it's better than "The Fame". Don't get me wrong, I really like "The Fame", but there were always a few tracks I'd skip whereas I can listen to "Born This Way" all the way through without skipping a single track (Like I could with "The Fame Monster"). Even "Americano" has grown on me.
Old 05-26-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
There's a new thread, but for subscribers of this thread, it's 99 cents again today (5/26/11).
Interesting article on this:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/amazo...dy-gaga,56660/
Old 05-26-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,195 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I have a hard time believing that Amazon is actually paying over $8 for each 99 cent download. How does that site not know if they might be getting a better bulk rate for the downloads?
Old 05-26-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon makes millions everyday, even if true it's a drop in the bucket for the press.
Old 05-26-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Amazon makes millions everyday, even if true it's a drop in the bucket for the press.
Seriously. $3M? That's nothing to Amazon...
Old 05-26-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 336 Likes on 280 Posts

They probably lose more than that in a BD price match that doesn't get near the same publicity
Old 05-26-11, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
I picked up the Deluxe Version from Best Buy today. I prefer physical media to downloads, so while this is a great deal, it's not one I'd want to take advantage of. Was going to order it from Amazon, but figured I might as well pick up a few Reward Points since I'm close to another Certificate.
I considered downloading the album just to help the sales,...but I don't like it that much to buy it twice! I've already bought the deluxe edition at BB too - and I was surprised they weren't anywhere near the front of the store, considering how popular she is.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.