DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Lady Gaga- Born This Way FULL ALBUM- 99 cents Today only! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/591101-lady-gaga-born-way-full-album-99-cents-today-only.html)

CRM114 05-23-11 01:50 PM

Re: Lady Gaga- Born This Way FULL ALBUM- 99 cents Today only!

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10785953)
I was going to download it, but read all the negative comments about people having massive problems downloading it. So, unless it gets resolved, I'm just going to pick up the CD tomorrow.

Just start the download and allow it to fail. Then claim the album via Customer Service in a couple days.

BTW, I'm downloading this for my daughter. I too prefer physical media. While I have a lot of respect for Lady Gaga as an artist, her music isn't my thing. :)

Supermallet 05-23-11 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 10785930)
Amazon tweeted an hour ago:

We're currently experiencing very high volume. If you order today, you will get the full @ladygaga album for $.99. Thanks for your patience.
Epic fail on Amazon's part.

That tweet should read "If you order today, you will get the full album...eventually."

I sent them an email as two hours out from my order I had the same three songs available as before. Now we see the flaws in the Cloud Player system. I would have been fine just downloading this directly, but then it's not saved to the Cloud Player. Amazon is making something that should be real easy to use very difficult.

It should be that whenever you buy an MP3 or MP3 album from Amazon, it's automatically saved to your Cloud Player AND you get the option to download immediately, instead of having to go into the Cloud Player and download it from there. Also all the MP3s I purchased before the cloud player was introduced should be stored in there, damn it. :mad:

Doctor X 05-23-11 02:16 PM

I used the cloud option since I am at work and want to download it at home. It put four songs and the PDF book in and nothing since. That was about six hours ago...

also I thought it automatically put the downloads on the cloud even if you download direct? I have not downloaded anything since they started the cloud thing

Supermallet 05-23-11 02:19 PM

I might have read it wrong but I thought at the time of purchase you can either put it on your Cloud Player or directly download it. If you put it on the Cloud Player, you can download it later and it stays in your Cloud Player, but if you directly download it up front, it is not saved to your Cloud Player.

Groucho 05-23-11 02:20 PM

This was their first "big test" of the Cloud thing, and it's not been a big success. Has Apple released a smarmy press release yet?

Supermallet 05-23-11 02:40 PM

I believe the iTunes version of "Born This Way" comes with a bonus track called "Full of Snark (Suck It Amazon)".

Groucho 05-23-11 02:50 PM

I just got charged, but I still don't have all the songs.

davidh777 05-23-11 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10785990)
That tweet should read "If you order today, you will get the full album...eventually."

I sent them an email as two hours out from my order I had the same three songs available as before. Now we see the flaws in the Cloud Player system. I would have been fine just downloading this directly, but then it's not saved to the Cloud Player. Amazon is making something that should be real easy to use very difficult.

It should be that whenever you buy an MP3 or MP3 album from Amazon, it's automatically saved to your Cloud Player AND you get the option to download immediately, instead of having to go into the Cloud Player and download it from there. Also all the MP3s I purchased before the cloud player was introduced should be stored in there, damn it. :mad:

I think I recently changed my settings to save to the cloud player AND also download it to my itunes. I checked this morning to see if Lady Gaga was in my itunes and it wasn't, but clearly this is not a good test case. :lol:

I also just got my order confirmation five hours after bought the album. Since I don't buy a ton of MP3s, I don't recall if there's usually a delay with order confirmations like there is with itunes, presumably so you won't buy a bunch of MP3s and get individual pings on each one.

Also all the MP3s I purchased before the cloud player was introduced should be stored in there, damn it. :mad:

Yeah, I really wish that were the case, but it's been debated already quite a bit.

Supermallet 05-23-11 02:53 PM

Usually with one-click orders (and all MP3 orders are one click), they give you a 30 minute window in which to cancel. After that, they confirm the order. So no, five hours is not typical.

CRM114 05-23-11 02:54 PM

I chose to download directly and not to the Cloud Player and after about 6 hours, the Amazon Downloader has download 3 songs completely, failed on 9, and has 3 it didn't even try yet. Usually, this zips down in 30 seconds or so at work.

Someone at Amazon really overestimated their capacity.

Throwing Copper 05-23-11 03:05 PM

This album will at least sell 1 million copies in the first week. I wonder if it will approach 2 million with this amazing Amazon deal.

Supermallet 05-23-11 03:10 PM

At this rate, it will reach 1 million and 2 when you factor in the Amazon deal, since no one is getting the album from Amazon.

dsa_shea 05-23-11 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10786122)
At this rate, it will reach 1 million and 2 when you factor in the Amazon deal, since no one is getting the album from Amazon.

The album has to sell at least 2 million copies before anyone actually gets to listen to it.

Jason 05-23-11 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10785900)
Still about 99 cents more than I'd pay for it.

Eh, she usually has one decent catchy pop song per album. For 99 cents, what the hell. Will be fun listening to serious music fans bitch about how many copies sold.

And besides, if this works as a marketing strategy, more artists will try to stack the deck. It's a 99 cent investment!

Howiefan 05-23-11 04:19 PM

It's not Gaga's label that's discounting the album to 99 cents on Amazon, otherwise the sales wouldn't count on the Billboard charts. Amazon is discounting the price to promote their new cloud service (which isn't doing well right now obviously).

EdTheRipper 05-23-11 04:22 PM

I got in on this one first thing this morning. I skipped the Cloud stuff and downloaded straight to my computer with no issues at all. Plus, I had a $1.00 credit, so I wound up getting it for free. I've also got the Deluxe Edition coming to me via UPS tomorrow.

Jason 05-23-11 04:34 PM

about a half hour in and three tracks have downloaded (no cloud). I imagine the hammering they're getting is epic.

This is the reality of a crappy broadband infrastructure. Amazon's finding it out right now and Apple won't fair much better. It's simply out of their hands.

Decker 05-23-11 04:36 PM

Can someone explain to me why the Cloud feature would be at all affected by a large volume of purchases? I've bought lots of popular stuff on Steam sales and not once have I ever been told I couldn't access my purchase. I would understand not being able to download from a slammed server, but this is a different issue : the site shows I have no access to 12/14 songs.

Groucho 05-23-11 04:41 PM

I'm guessing that, behind the scenes, Amazon has some sort of replication process set up where they transfer the MP3's you purchase from some server to your cloud drive, and that this replication job was ill-equipped to deal with the demand of a million requests (or whatever it is) queued up at once.

Supermallet 05-23-11 04:58 PM

Especially since they only have one copy of the CD and they have to rip it into MP3's for each purchase.

PopcornTreeCt 05-23-11 05:09 PM

Sold. Not using the cloud though. Apple can suck it by the way.

Bob_Bobbson 05-23-11 05:20 PM

Not a huge Gaga fan, but I like enough of her stuff that I jumped on the album for $.99

So I just bought it and all 14 tracks and booklet are showing up in my cloud drive. From the comments in the thread, it sounds like I'm the only person who had it work properly. :lol:

Supermallet 05-23-11 05:40 PM

Son of a--I bought it at 9:30 this morning and I still only have 3 songs and the stupid booklet!

TomOpus 05-23-11 05:43 PM

Just bought it about 10 mins ago and I'm up to 5 songs. Did not do the cloud thing.

MJG87 05-23-11 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson (Post 10786328)
Not a huge Gaga fan, but I like enough of her stuff that I jumped on the album for $.99

So I just bought it and all 14 tracks and booklet are showing up in my cloud drive. From the comments in the thread, it sounds like I'm the only person who had it work properly. :lol:

Same here, worked perfectly! Now all Amazon needs to do is reinstate our past mp3 purchases on the Cloud.