Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the furthest you've traveled for a concert tour that skipped your town

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not talking about on-going shows in one location like in Vegas such as Donnie and Marie or Elton's Red Piano, but actual tours that may have skipped your city (or not but you missed them or had to see them again) and you had to go see the performer/band at another stop(s). Again, the whole reason for your trip was to see the concert.
Recently I saw Kylie Minogue in Florida at two of her stops. The first one was at an arena in Fort Lauderdale. I always wanted to see one of her concerts and thought I'd have to go overseas to do it. Luckily, she's did a short stint in the States this year, (missed her the last time). My wife knew I always wanted to see her in concert so she planned a trip from Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale. As an added bonus, we flew down to Orlando to see Universal and Disney the week before the show and then rented a car to drive up to Fort Lauderdale, making the concert the grand finale. Our first day in Orlando, we walked past the Hard Rock Cafe and saw Minogue was performing there the night after the Lauderdale show. After seeing her Saturday night in Fort Lauderdale, my wife loved the show so much she changes our flight home from Sunday to Monday and we head back to Orlando for the other show. It was interesting to see the difference between the two shows. Fort Lauderdale's was stadium seating and had the complete set while Orlando's was stripped down, standing room only tickets but we were 10 feet away from the stage and up close for Minogue.
Old 05-21-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
Re: What's the furthest you've traveled for a concert tour that skipped your town

Last, year, the wife and drove from IL to Columbus OH (~500 miles) to see Pearl Jam...although we say them again on the way home. A couple of weeks later, I flew out to see them again at MSG in NYC.

Prior to that, I flew to Seattle to see Mike McCready's side project, Flight To Mars, at a benefit show. A friend had purchased a platinum meet & greet package, and took me as his +1.
Old 05-21-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: What's the furthest you've traveled for a concert tour that skipped your town

Ummm... San Diego? Haha. That's the beauty of living near L.A. We almost never get skipped.
Old 05-21-11, 07:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I flew across the country to New York to see David Byrne at Radio City Music Hall and Van Morrison at the smaller venue within Madison Square Garden. It was a good excuse to visit NY.

Also, how fantastic is Kylie Minogue live? I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl on her last trip here, and despite being the only straight man there, I loved it.
Old 05-21-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roger Waters in Dallas last November.
Old 05-21-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Flying to NYC in September to see Within Temptation
Old 05-21-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, not tours per se.. but there's a band we love seeing and hanging out with that we've driven to Philly and Nashville to see (those are probably the farthest, but we've done a ton more that certainly aren't 'local').
Old 05-21-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
and despite being the only straight man there
Haha, when the OP mentioned his wife, I was like
Old 05-21-11, 09:07 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a relatively quick jaunt from northern Virginia to Knoxville to see Tom Waits.
Old 05-21-11, 09:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Toronto to see Isis. It was worth every penny.
Old 05-21-11, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I apologize if I've mentioned this already on another thread, but I flew nearly 900 miles from CT to Chicago to see Hilary Hahn play with Josh Ritter at the Ravinia Festival back in Aug 2007. This was a small round of limited-engagement shows they performed in classical venues together, and I was under the impression that it would end with the Ravinia gig, but they went ahead and put tickets on sale for a similar concert in NY for the following April anyway, making the traipsing over to Chicago somewhat moot (Oddly enough Lollapalooza was happening the same week), but it was very much worth it to see both Hilary Hahn playing solo violin and accompanying Josh Ritter acoustic. These people are great speakers and had a funny stage persona as well when they spoke to the audience.

Last edited by HUG-H; 05-21-11 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Over the past six years, the wife and I have planned several weekend trips around seeing bands that skipped Indy. I think we drove around 5 hours for Of Montreal, Stars, Death Cab for Cutie and probably a handful of others.
Old 05-21-11, 11:53 PM

I live in Oklahoma City and I like musical acts that hardly ever come through here so every time I've wanted to see a show I've had to travel.

Over 1,300 miles to see Hallogallo 2010 (Michael Rother performing the music of NEU!) in Philadelphia.

Over 800 miles to see the Pixies in Chicago.

Over 800 miles to Atlanta to see the Breeders and 500 miles to see them in St. Louis.

Over 450 miles to see Grinderman in Memphis.
Old 05-22-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Not far, probably 2 hours to Orangevale, CA

Lately though lots of bands I like are skipping San Francisco/Bay Area entirely, so the distance I travel for shows might increase.
Old 05-22-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

From Detroit to Cleveland: To see Chemlab, Porcupine Tree, The Crystal Method
From Detroit to Chicago: Going to see Michael McDermott's 20th anniversary concert at the end of June
Old 05-22-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I live in South Dakota so basically everytime I've seen a band I've had to travel. Not very far though North Dakota, Minnesota, or Nebraska are the places I've gone for shows. So anywhere from 3-6 hours mostly.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-22-11 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Saw Iron Maiden in Dallas this past year, but thinking of trying to catch them on one of their Euro tours this summer to hear stuff from the new album.

For shows I have actually gone to so far, drive from San Diego to Irvine to see Metallica on the Justice Tour.
Old 05-22-11, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Also, how fantastic is Kylie Minogue live? I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl on her last trip here, and despite being the only straight man there, I loved it.
It was a fantastic show. As I stated it was good enough to postpone our flight home and drive back to Orlando to see the show again.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Haha, when the OP mentioned his wife, I was like
I listen to what I like to listen to, not what people think I should. I'm sure you got stuff in your collection that people would snub their noses at and screw those that would.

Last edited by Pizza; 05-22-11 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 07:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Drove 14 hours from Dallas to Nashville to see Sahara Hotnights play at a small dive for about 45 minutes. Loved every second of it!
Old 05-22-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm
Just a relatively quick jaunt from northern Virginia to Knoxville to see Tom Waits.
I drove from Miami to Atlanta to see Tom Waits a few years ago. Totally worth it.
Old 05-22-11, 09:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Art of Noise (Bottom of the Hill) - San Francisco
Dubstar (Shepherd's Bush Empire) - London
Old 05-22-11, 10:16 PM

Cleveland to Madison... with shows in Chicago both ways!
Redding, Ca to SF many many times
Old 05-23-11, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Walker Boh
I drove from Miami to Atlanta to see Tom Waits a few years ago. Totally worth it.
Absolutely. I saw Waits once over two decades ago. I still remember the show. He had a fridge on the stage and about halfway through his set he opens it up and pulls a beverage out. Hilarious. And, the show was fantastic.

Originally Posted by fishingleatity
Cleveland to Madison... with shows in Chicago both ways!
Redding, Ca to SF many many times
What were some of the concerts you saw?
Old 05-23-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Columbus, OH to Denver to see Foo Fighters @ Red Rocks.....only to have them postpone the show two months. I didn't care, we had a blast in the mountains, and yes we flew back again to see the show.

worth.every.penny.

Also, not a concert, but my favorite artist (Derek Hess) who is in Cleveland is having a show in Ft. Myers and it just so happens that I have family there.....
Old 05-23-11, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

The furthest I've traveled to a concert would be to Portland, Oregon, to see the Pixies. That's around 2,000 miles away. Since not much of anything comes too close to where I live, most concerts I go to are at least a 4-hour drive, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.