Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - "How I Go" (8/2/11) First studio album in 12 years!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

KWSB is back!

Guitars will rule again this Summer, specifically August 2nd, since that's when Roadrunner Records/Loud & Proud will release The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band's new album, How I Go. This is the band's first studio album since signing with Roadrunner/Loud & Proud Records last year and follows the release of the GRAMMY nominated album Live! In Chicago.

How I Go was recorded in Sausalito, California's Studio D, and produced by both Kenny Wayne Shepherd and his longtime collaborator and producer Jerry Harrison. The album signals the band's welcome return to the studio. With the help of co-writers Mark Selby and Tia Sellers ("Blue on Black"), as well as Zac Maloy and Danny Tate, the new album offers a bounty of new material as well as covers from Albert King, Bessie Smith and The Beatles.

Kenny and his band, which features Noah Hunt, Chris Layton, and Riley Osbourn along with special guest Tommy Shannon, have delivered a refreshing and inspiring take on guitar-driven rock n' roll. How I Go offers a blues infused collection of music- and more. "We poured our hearts and souls into the recording of How I Go. My goal was to give longtime fans exactly what they want to hear on one of my records, while providing new fans an opportunity to experience my brand of blues based rock. I'm certain music lovers will clearly hear our musical roots while experiencing the growth and emotion that this record represents," said KWS. The band is currently planning a US tour to begin in July.

Are you going to Go on August 2nd?
Awesome. I enjoyed his solo and blues releases, but it will be great to have Noah back in the mix on a rock album. Can't fucking wait!
Old 05-16-11, 10:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - "How I Go" (8/2/11) First studio album in 12 years!

Can't believe it's been 12 years!
Old 05-16-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - "How I Go" (8/2/11) First studio album in 12 years!

Well, he had his solo album in 2004, but yeah with Noah Hunt, Live On was in '99. At any rate it's his first album of new material in at least 7 years.
Old 05-16-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12 years, man I feel old right now.
Old 05-17-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I got to see KWS twice last year - once was a full band show in Flint, MI and the other was part of the jimi hendrix tribute tour. Hands down he was the most amazing to watch.

I know his last album was somewhat divisive among fans, but I enjoyed it a lot - and there were two or three songs with Noah singing.

I can't wait for this new album and I hope he tours around here again soon.
Old 06-09-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Never Lookin' Back on iTunes.

Sounds promising from the preview clip.
Old 05-10-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Release: May 19th
Full Song Soundcloud: "You Can't Judge a Book By The Cover"

From KWS.com:
The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band, Goin’ Home (Concord)
Like the old Muddy Waters song, Kenny Wayne Shepherd feels like going home. For his new album, the 36-year-old guitarist returned to Shreveport, La., to record a disc that mines his musical influences, from Waters and Albert King to Stevie Ray Vaughan. With a band of blues and country veterans—drummer Chris Layton (Double Trouble), bassist Tony Franklin (The Firm) and keyboardist Riley Osbourn (Willie Nelson)—and a who’s who list of guests (Rebirth Brass Band, Keb’ Mo’, Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, Warren Haynes, Robert Randolph), Goin’ Home presents Shepherd at his bluesy best. On “Breaking Up Somebody’s Home,” which King recorded in 1972, Osbourn’s slow and funky keyboards set up an impeccable groove for Shepherd and Haynes to engage in high-flying guitar solos. On “The House Is A Rockin’”—the leadoff track from Vaughan’s 1989 album, In Step—Shepherd turns in a blistering solo in homage to the late Texas guitarist. King’s signature song, “Born Under A Bad Sign” (written by William Bell and Booker T. Jones), features Keb’ Mo’ on vocals, while the Willie Dixon tune “You Can’t Judge A Book By The Cover”—which Bo Diddley cut for Checker in 1962—features vocals by Shepherd family friend Brady Blade Sr., co-producer Brady Blade Jr.’s father. (The album was recorded at Blade Jr.’s studio.) This Louisiana homecoming is an all-around awesome affair.
Old 05-23-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Wow, 12 years, amazing. I'll be looking to pick this one up.
Old 05-23-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

12 years for the last album, "How I Go." I just bumped this thread for the blues album, "Goin' Home," that just came out (and is fantastic, btw)
Old 05-31-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Jeez, I'm even more out of the loop than I thought. Thanks for bringing both of them to my attention.
Old 05-31-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You're in for a treat, How I Go is probably their best album.