Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pink Floyd catalog to be reissued, with unreleased tracks!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pink Floyd catalog to be reissued, with unreleased tracks!

Old 10-04-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Pink Floyd catalog to be reissued, with unreleased tracks!

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan View Post
I've bought 6 of the remasters but only given a full listen to A Saucerful of Secrets so far. I dig their post-Piper, pre-Meddle output, and I gambled on this one after reading a few customer reviews which said Saucerful has had a troubled production/mastering history which this RM rectified more than previous releases. It's one of my favorite PF albums, and the RM sounded great to my ears. They've considerably upped the ante on the mindfuck quotient of the multilayered psychedelic soundscapes, whilst the more formal tracks (particularly the 2 Rick Wright songs) have stronger-sounding vocals & drums in the mix.
Thanks for sharing.

I guess that the term "remaster" doesn't mean too much these days. It used to mean:

Creating new master tapes for preservation purposes and (while doing so) bring the source material to the album's "original artistic intent" in 24 bit glory.

If drums are more "present" in a song then prior efforts, something else is now ... not as present. The bigger question is what changed and why? With the emphasis of younger generations on bass and equipment that provides "mega-bass" headphones and the like I wonder whether the music is simply being made more 'attractive' for new consumers.

The 2011 DSotM also has more "present" elements like "There is no dark side of the moon, really, in fact it's all dark" and other interview snippets. The Muzak-like version of "Ticket To Ride" that concludes "Eclipse" has been included, excluded, included, excluded ... on prior "re-masters" Now it is included again and more "present" then EVER before so ... exactly who is minding the store and what's the real agenda other than making more "Money"?
Old 10-04-11, 02:19 PM

The agenda is this is probably the last time they'll remaster the albums so they figured they might as well"make hay while the sun shines".

Last edited by hawk; 10-04-11 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I guess that the term "remaster" doesn't mean too much these days. It used to mean:

Creating new master tapes for preservation purposes and (while doing so) bring the source material to the album's "original artistic intent" in 24 bit glory.

If drums are more "present" in a song then prior efforts, something else is now ... not as present. The bigger question is what changed and why? With the emphasis of younger generations on bass and equipment that provides "mega-bass" headphones and the like I wonder whether the music is simply being made more 'attractive' for new consumers.
I agree with your larger point, though not applied to this particular album. A remastered Saucerful is no more likely to appeal to "younger generations" than an unremastered one, hah.

I've been very skeptical about remasters after hearing a lot of heavy metal & rock remasters that simply up the bass & volume levels at the expense of melody & texture. The best remasters I've heard are probably Dead Can Dance & Kraftwerk. The Saucerful remaster doesn't detract from the textural & ambient elements important to my ears. It's not like Pink Floyd is exactly a band that can compete in the "noise wars", haha. The mixer would have to be a fucking idiot to remaster a Floyd album with clipped, distorted audio.
Old 10-04-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hawk View Post
It has to do with the fact than now Pink Floyd owns their recordings and can do as they please without label interference.[what you hear now is the albums re-done their way]
Minus Rick (RIP).

You're making it sound like George Lucas & his "Special Editions". I'm not sure how much the remaining 3 are actually participating in the remastering, didn't they leave most of it up to James Guthrie?
Old 10-04-11, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by hawk View Post
It has to do with the fact than now Pink Floyd owns their recordings and can do as they please without label interference.[what you hear now is the albums re-done their way]
If there has been a change in ownership of Pink Floyd's back catalog please share the source of that information. The only thing I know about of recent note was the group wrangling over the downloading sale of individual songs on-line, which the group won a court case on and then ultimately settled with EMI (with individual songs available for purchase). Bottom line I guess their artistic principles as to not wanting their work sold piecemeal had a change of mind when "Money" changes hands. Funny how that happens.

More to the point, Pink Floyd members were actively involved with the production of their albums back when. And James Guthrie has been engineering their albums for 30 fucking years and remastered the 2011 editions as well. So what's changed other than Richard Wright died and all of them are older with aging ears that made it through the rock era? WTF is this "label interference" you're referring to? Do you even know the extent the remaining Pink Floyd members were actively involved in the 2011 re-mastering effort and how that improved upon other efforts?
Old 10-04-11, 04:09 PM

Pink Floyd's my favorite band of all time. I own all of their studio albums, the majority of them the 1992 remaster CDs released in 1994-95. So I've been approaching these remasters with equal curiosity & caution. I don't feel the need to restock my entire discography, so the question is: which remasters benefit (the most)?

I've bought 6 of the remasters but only given a full listen to A Saucerful of Secrets so far. I dig their post-Piper, pre-Meddle output, and I gambled on this one after reading a few customer reviews which said Saucerful has had a troubled production/mastering history which this RM rectified more than previous releases. It's one of my favorite PF albums, and the RM sounded great to my ears. They've considerably upped the ante on the mindfuck quotient of the multilayered psychedelic soundscapes, whilst the more formal tracks (particularly the 2 Rick Wright songs) have stronger-sounding vocals & drums in the mix.

Now, just some hearsay I've picked up about a few others:

Piper: given a full stereo mix, as opposed to previous mono or divided left-right channel stereo mixes.
The Final Cut: I read a Roger Waters interview where he said in hindsight he felt he overdid the contrast between the quiet & loud moments. If he had any input in the remasters, maybe these are evened out.

You're in luck. One of the few reviews I was able to find focuses on this comparison:http://www.tonepublications.com/musi...floyds-latest/
the gunshot is still jarring.

the bass during 'Two Suns In The Sunset' is robust and tremendous oomph
Old 10-05-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
the gunshot is still jarring.

the bass during 'Two Suns In The Sunset' is robust and tremendous oomph
You know, I think this remastered Final Cut may not have the same emotional impact on me as the more "abrasive" '92 mix. I'm thinking maybe the contrast of the older production is what helped make the album so effective for me, those moments of quiet despair punctuated by violently sudden drum kicks.

Plus, as much as I like "When The Tigers Broke Free", I've listened to my '92 CD so much that I'm so used to hearing "One of the Few" go directly to "The Hero's Return", which I always found a great transition.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Animals mix either. It doesn't sound as stark as the older mix; Animals isn't meant to be a "warm" album.

Well, I need to give my Ummagumma remaster a listen. Meanwhile, I hope more people would post their aural observations; especially if you've listened to and/or compared the 2011 remasters of More, Obscured By Clouds & Meddle.

So far A Saucerful of Secrets has pleased my ears the most, and I'm wondering how the remastering is on the other pre-DSOTM albums.

Here's a little ratings scale:

1= Awesome, a definite improvement over previous masters
2= I could go either way, or I didn't hear any differences
3= It sounds fucking worse!
Old 10-06-11, 07:43 AM

I listened to The Final Cut. No big deal one way or the other to me other than the cymbals in The Fletcher Memorial Home (2:15 and beyond) were almost comically over-baked. They were very present in the last CD but now ... cringe-worthy.

Btw, I'm a fan of many of the songs on The Final Cut with The Fletcher Memorial Home being one of them. For those of us that have spent too much time in corporate conference rooms it rings true. Matter-of-fact, the next time you're in a conference room meeting that's going nowhere while idiots quibble over crap that doesn't matter, run The Fletcher Memorial Home through your mind. It will make you smile.

Last edited by ctyankee; 10-06-11 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I listened to The Final Cut. No big deal one way or the other to me other than the cymbals in The Fletcher Memorial Home (2:15 and beyond) were almost comically over-baked. They were very present in the last CD but now ... cringe-worthy.
I also noticed the background sounds & voices are higher up in the mix. I heard a Waters whisper in "One of the Few" I'd never noticed before:

When you're on of the few to land on your feet
What do you do to make ends meet?
*WHISPER* "Teach"
Old 10-06-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always kind of wish you could hear the drums better in "Us and Them" especially during the chorus/loud part. There's alot of drum fills that you really can't hear on any release
Old 10-07-11, 09:13 AM

Compared the old A Saucerful of Secrets with the 2011 version.

Pretty darn sweet improvement, I must say. My bias is not to muck around reinventing something that should not be reinvented and I can say this is not that. Much more just a terrific revealing of the music to this pair of ears versus some over-tweaked effort. It might be too much to say that Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun is a revelation ... but it brought a smile to my face. It also became a good example I could share with someone as to a remaster done well.

If you really like the album, this is a no-brainer upgrade.
Old 10-07-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

*WHISPER* "Teach"
Interesting. I've always heard the whisper dating back to when it was first came out on vinyl.
Old 10-07-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty darn sweet improvement, I must say. My bias is not to muck around reinventing something that should not be reinvented and I can say this is not that. Much more just a terrific revealing of the music to this pair of ears versus some over-tweaked effort. It might be too much to say that Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun is a revelation ... but it brought a smile to my face. It also became a good example I could share with someone as to a remaster done well.

If you really like the album, this is a no-brainer upgrade.
you ever hear the mono mix? Don't think it ever got a legitimate reissue.
Old 10-08-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty darn sweet improvement, I must say. My bias is not to muck around reinventing something that should not be reinvented and I can say this is not that. Much more just a terrific revealing of the music to this pair of ears versus some over-tweaked effort.
Do you hear what I was trying to say about the improved drum sound on Rick Wright's songs ("Remember a Day" and "See Saw")?

Please do share if you compare any more remasters. I trust the recommendations of a skeptic.

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Interesting. I've always heard the whisper dating back to when it was first came out on vinyl.
Well, let me rephrase: it's not that I never heard it, it's that I heard it as part of the soundscape and not Waters making sure we get the point; In case we weren't already aware he had issues with those in the teaching profession. It was more subliminal before.
Old 10-08-11, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, let me rephrase: it's not that I never heard it, it's that I heard it as part of the soundscape and not Waters making sure we get the point; In case we weren't already aware he had issues with those in the teaching profession. It was more subliminal before.
I'm curious if it's been punched up a bit. It's always stood out to me. Maybe it could be I would mostly listen to the Floyd with headphones. I definitely want to pick up The Final Cut reissue but not quite sure when.
Old 10-08-11, 05:19 PM
Banned by request

I think the 92 master of The Final Cut is perfect. The stark contrasts between the quieter parts and the louder ones are what give that record its power.
Old 10-11-11, 08:51 AM

Do you hear what I was trying to say about the improved drum sound on Rick Wright's songs ("Remember a Day" and "See Saw")?
"Remember A Day" absolutely, it's like they took the socks off the microphones (at times) ... "See Saw" not so much

Last edited by ctyankee; 10-11-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 10:55 AM

Spun the Alan Parsons mix of DSOTM the other night and enjoyed it.

Some of the songs are pretty much the same, but others are less developed and do sound pretty demo-y. Definitely worth a listen for any Floyd fan.
Old 10-19-11, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hixx View Post
Spun the Alan Parsons mix of DSOTM the other night and enjoyed it.

Some of the songs are pretty much the same, but others are less developed and do sound pretty demo-y. Definitely worth a listen for any Floyd fan.
What? It's not like Parsons went to earlier takes of the songs. The Parson's mix used the 16 track masters i.e. the same masters that yielded DSotM studio album as we know and love. The only thing Parsons did was mess with the mix, i.e. what sounds to emphasize or de-emphasize and decide what sounds should be on the same audio stream and what track should be on which of the four speakers. It's either that or you were listening to the 1972 version of DSotM and didn't know it.
Old 10-20-11, 02:34 PM

What? It's not like Parsons went to earlier takes of the songs. The Parson's mix used the 16 track masters i.e. the same masters that yielded DSotM studio album as we know and love. The only thing Parsons did was mess with the mix, i.e. what sounds to emphasize or de-emphasize and decide what sounds should be on the same audio stream and what track should be on which of the four speakers. It's either that or you were listening to the 1972 version of DSotM and didn't know it.
Yes I was referring to the 1972 Early Mix, also by Parsons, not the Quad Mix.
Old 10-20-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also noticed the background sounds & voices are higher up in the mix. I heard a Waters whisper in "One of the Few" I'd never noticed before:

*WHISPER* "Teach"
I heard that the first time I listened 30 years ago
Old 10-25-11, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few updated notes on the early remasters...

MORE is the latest I bought after being pleased with the sound on the pirated MP3s I downloaded. I was also encouraged when I read an Amazon review stating More & Saucerful were the best of the bunch (Saucerful's the only remaster I've fully endorsed at this point).

OBSCURED BY CLOUDS: Definite improvement, though I don't think I'll be buying it. It's really beefed up in the rock 'n roll sound, but personally I've never revisited the album much.

A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON: I agree with the consensus that the 80's production definitely benefits from the remaster. Too bad I only revisit a few songs from the album. (No amount of polishing can improve The Dogs of War's songwriting, hah.)

Btw, even though they're no longer $9.99 at Best Buy, they've only risen to $11.99.
Old 10-28-11, 08:53 PM
Suspended

How did these do sales wise? Just like the idea of these 30-40+ year old records selling more than the shit that comes out today.
Old 11-05-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a review of Wish You Were Here....Immersion Edition.

One interesting note is that the reviewer noted that each disc is housed in a separate cardboard sleeve yet the bottom of the box had inlays for the discs. He asks "What's up with that"? If they had read reviews of the DSOTM Immersion set on Amazon there were numerous remarks about loose scratched discs. It's nice that EMI took the steps of fixing that.

Last edited by TomOpus; 11-05-11 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-03-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.