Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever gone to a concert alone? If not, would you?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Have you ever gone to a concert alone? If not, would you?
I've never gone to a concert alone, and never will.
8.82%
I've never gone to a concert alone, but I'd do it for a certain band.
8.82%
I've gone to concerts alone, but I'd never do it again.
2.94%
I've gone to concerts alone, and I would do it again.
77.45%
I've seen twikoff alone, and it was spectacular.
1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever gone to a concert alone? If not, would you?

Old 05-10-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Have you ever gone to a concert alone? If not, would you?

I prefer company, but if it is someone I want to see bad enough, I'm going solo if that is what it takes.
Old 05-10-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I usually end up running into people I know while I'm there.
Usually when I go alone this always winds up happening.
Old 05-10-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure, I have. Sometimes there's a band playing I love that no one else wants to see, so I'll go alone. If I don't like the openers, I'll just call the venue, find out the start time of the headliner, and show up 10 min before. It's kinda nice actually.
Old 05-10-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, and if someone is alone and starts talking to me i would punch them in the face.
Old 05-10-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seen a few concerts alone (QOTSA in Paris, Foo Fighters in Minneapolis) and would do it again, but I do prefer company of course.
Old 05-10-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Been to plenty solo - and while i don't bother chatting people up I enjoy going. I get to people watch, and band watch from the spot I want, for as long as I want.

Sometimes solo is the only option available too - A Perfect Circle tickets went on sale here and sold out in minutes for pairs, solo was the only thing I could get.
Old 05-10-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Sure, I have. Sometimes there's a band playing I love that no one else wants to see, so I'll go alone. If I don't like the openers, I'll just call the venue, find out the start time of the headliner, and show up 10 min before. It's kinda nice actually.
ditto. I call too and show up a little before the band I want to see and leave since going solo you can do whatever you want. Unless, of course, the opener is one that I want to see.

Also a perk for living in a major city since driving/parking is not a concern. I either walk, taxi or subway to the venue. Time investment is minimal.

So to answer, I have done it many times and will continue to do so. I still have a great time no matter what.
Old 05-10-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Once.

The concert was fantastic, but I did feel like people were staring at me at times because I was alone in the 4th row.
We were
Old 05-10-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I've gone alone to concerts a few times. For the most part, any band I was really interested in seeing wouldn't be playing near me. It would be at least a four-hour drive, so you're not always able to get people who are able to take off the time necessary to go.

My biggest concert trip was to Portland, Oregon, in 2005. I went solo to see the Pixies, four shows in two nights. One of those nights was on my birthday, so it seemed like fate that I should go. Not surprisingly, I wasn't able to find any of my friends here in South Texas who could afford to make that trip. There was no way I was going to miss it, though, and I'm happy I went.
Old 05-10-11, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I've gone to two concerts by myself in the past, but I haven't done it since 2003. It felt kind of awkward at the time, but I didn't have any friends who were remotely interested in going. Both times, it was to see Matthew Good.

Now, I'm going to Dallas in two weeks, and there's two shows I'm considering going to:
- Dredg & Manchester Orchestra @ Granada Theater
- Deftones & Dillinger Escape Plan @ Verizon Theater
I know a few people in the DFW area, but none of them seem to be interested in any of those bands, so I'm most likely going to go alone. I'm a little nervous, since it's been so long since I've done it, but these bands are worth it, I think.

Have you ever gone to a concert alone? If not, would you? Which bands?
Concerning the Deftones/DEP. If you fly me out there I'll go with you! Its a great deal!!! C'mon, you know you wanna do it, otherwise you'll sit alone and sad...
Old 05-10-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 904 Likes on 551 Posts

I went to see Roger Clyne by myself a couple of months ago. It was a weeknight concert, which makes it hard for us to get a sitter...but I'd just gotten some new mics and didn't want to pass the opportunity to tape with them.
Old 05-10-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way am I going to deny myself a show and a band I enjoy just because my friends have shitty taste in music.
Old 05-10-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More than half the shows I've been to have been flying solo. I used to try and get friends to go with me all the time, but I quickly realized that they weren't having anywhere near as much fun at the shows as I was (a few times I got really self-conscious because they were clearly having a terrible time). So, given the choice of going by myself or not going at all, I will choose the former nearly every time. The one exception is if it's a show that will require me to drive a few hours.

Anyway, it was weird going by myself the first few times I did it, but I got used to it and have met a lot of really great people over the years at shows (primarily in the bar either between bands or during bands I didn't care about). And meeting people with similar musical interests makes it that much less likely that you'll have to go by yourself in the future!
Old 05-10-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes. Band I want to see, no one else wants to go, sure. Obviously I'd prefer to go with someone else who at least would somewhat enjoy it, but I have no problem going by myself.
Suicidal Tendencies (this was in high school, after doing a taping of one of those high school Quiz Bowl shows - I was probably the only one there wearing a dress shirt)
Mojo Nixon
Misfits (new)
GWAR a couple times
I'm sure a few more.
I'm sure there were many when I was in college, since there were bands playing every night and usually it was less than ten bucks to get in.

I don't really "meet' people there, maybe a little chit chat with whoever is standing near me, but nothing more than that.
I usually like to get to a show as early as possible. For GenAd, I like to get a good spot, and even if I don't know the opening band, I might like them. Plus if I don't catch the whole show, I feel like I'm wasting money.
Old 05-10-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Many times I WISH I had gone alone to a concert. I still haven't forgiven my friend who made me leave Janes Addiction early when I saw them play a club in '87.
Old 05-12-11, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I have several times, and found new friends from chatting up people around me.
Old 05-12-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Here in Vegas we have a lot of SRO shows at the Hard Rock and the House of Blues. My wife HATES those and complains non-stop, so sure for one of those, I'll go alone. Never went to a show with seats by myself, though.
Old 05-13-11, 09:36 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

I go to concerts alone all the time and its no big deal. I'm a huge Springsteen fan and I go to multiple shows. It's not easy to get people to do that.

I just saw the Deftones/DEP show on Wednesday... I'd definetly say to go. Deftones are amazing live. DEP aren't my cup of tea, but they have an awesome stage presence.

Manchester is awesome too. So yea...don't ever miss out on a show just because you don't have company.
Old 05-13-11, 03:39 PM

I go to a lot of shows alone (hundreds), since most of my friends have shitty taste in music. I like going to shows with friends, but I'm not going to see a band I don't like or beg my friends to see a show they have no interest in.
Old 05-13-11, 04:42 PM

Like many of you, I also don't have a problem going to shows alone. Hell I've been to a ton of concerts alone and honestly sometimes I prefer it. I can do my own thing and don't have to worry about someone wanting to leave early or trying to talk to me while the band plays or whatever else. Half the time I would just talk to people around me or at the bar while getting a beer, helped me meet some interesting people over the years. Especially when I would go to roughly a show a week and you would start recognizing people that seemed to be at every show. Some of the most interesting people I met this way.
Old 05-14-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

I've gone to a few shows alone. Obviously it's more fun when you have a friend who likes the bands or just wants to go to hangout in general.

Shouldn't let having to go alone keep you from seeing a band you really like.

During Night 3 of the Faith No More Reunion shows in San Francisco, one of my best friends was there but he was in a completely different section. So we were able to talk before the set, but once the show started we were both on our own
Old 05-18-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More than often I hit shows on my own. Most people aren't willing to take road trips to see old school metal bands with me. I went to see Destruction last week and ended up chatting with some other big fans. Sometimes going with people can be a real drag when they don't want to see opening bands, cut out early, etc. However, sometimes it is a bummer when I remember "back in the day" when I'd take a road trip with 5 or 6 people who were fired up about a show. However, ticket prices and other adult responsibilities have shattered that reality.
Old 05-19-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Went to a mini festival: Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Ween, and Magic Numbers by myself. Excellent show.
Old 05-19-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've gone alone twice, and they were both the best experiences I've had at concerts. I've been to countless other concerts with my friends and it's been fun, but it always seems like there is one person who has to leave early, drinks too much, etc.

I like going alone, I don't have to worry about anyone but myself.
Old 05-19-11, 11:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I'm actually surprised at the overwhelming majority. I expected it to be a little bit more evened out, but it makes me feel better about the prospect of going alone, for sure.

It seems like neither the Dredg or Deftones shows will be sold out before the concert dates, so I still have time to decide if these shows are worth going to alone, but I'm definitely leaning more towards doing it now. I have nothing to lose.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.