Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins to reissue classic albums

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins to reissue classic albums

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Re: Smashing Pumpkins to reissue classic albums

I am still waiting for the special edition of Mellon Collie to drop in price.

Forgive me for being lazy but how much of the above has already been released on the new remasters?
Old 06-05-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdollaz
As part of the continuing series of reissues of THE SMASHING PUMPKINS’ acclaimed catalog via Virgin/UMe, the iconic alternative band is set to release four separate versions, all fully remastered, of their platinum-selling 1996 box set THE AEROPLANE FLIES HIGH: 6-CD +1 DVD; 5-LPs and Deluxe Digital and Standard Digital editions. The CD/DVD, 5-LP version and digital configurations will be released July 23.

The original THE AEROPLANE FLIES HIGH was a five-disc box set that featured expanded versions of singles from their acclaimed 1995 double album MELLON COLLIE & THE INFINITE SADNESS, including “Bullet With Butterfly Wings,” “1979,” “Zero” “Tonight, Tonight” and “Thirty-Three.” MELLON COLLIE achieved Diamond certification by the RIAA for sales of 10,000,000 discs and digital equivalent per disc (5 million copies of the double album).

These new limited edition box sets of THE AEROPLANE FLIES HIGH feature the original 33 track version—remastered by Bob Ludwig—and expanded to 104 tracks (90 audio and 14 audio-visual) encompassing unreleased demos, alternative versions and live recordings. In addition to expanded versions of Aeroplane’s original 5 discs, a 6th disc contains live recordings from the 1996 Mellon Collie tour, while the DVD content is taken from a July, 4 1997, performance in Belfort, France. Included is a 46-page book with liner notes written by David Wild, plus extensive track-by-track notes by The Smashing Pumpkins founder-singer-songwriter-guitarist Billy Corgan—for the original release’s 33 tracks. The box set has unique packaging with embossed foil wrap & twinkle stock for jackets. To view the full tracklisting of each box set and DVD, go here: http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/albu...-high-reissue/

As David Wild writes, “The Aeroplane Flies High is a trip, and perhaps fittingly for Billy Corgan, it was an exciting, exhausting and scary one that reveals a lot about the Smashing Pumpkins at this point in their musical journey.”

Notes Corgan in the 46-page book: “What I like about The Aeroplane Flies High is that it’s almost the existential backwater of the Mellon Collie album,” Corgan says today. “Listening to the music gathered here is a little bit like seeing what goes on behind the walls of Disneyland. I’ve always been fascinated with places that are very well constructed, and finding out what’s really going on just over the fence. You look over that gate and notice that things on the other side are not well painted—or maybe you spot that guy dressed as some character sneaking a smoke on his break. At least for me, the behind the scenes feel heard on The Aeroplane Flies High represents something revealing not found on the main album. In retrospect, it’s a nice document of how we arrived at the apex of Mellon Collie—and also what standing on that apex did to us personally.”

The Aeroplane Flies High follows 2011’s acclaimed reissues of the band’s groundbreaking first two albums, Gish (1991) and Siamese Dream (1993), as well as 2012’s PISCES ISCARIOT (1994), the band’s third album, as well as their fourth album, MELLON COLLIE & THE INFINITE SADNESS (1995). ***See press quotes below about the reissue campaign which has the full support and guidance from THE SMASHING PUMPKINS who’ve created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in musical history, selling over 30 million albums. Theglobal catalog reissue campaign will last through 2013; it will encompass all the band’s albums and B-sides from 1991-2000, with other release dates to be announced. The pivotal group’s many hits defined the alternative music era and continue to resonate on modern rock radio, influencing a whole new generation.

As THE SMASHING PUMPKINS get the fully remastered treatment via these reissues, the band is excited to be moving forward by creating new music. They will soon start recording the follow-up to 2012’s acclaimed album OCEANIA (Martha’s Music/EMI Label Services/Caroline Distribution). It was created by the band—singer/guitarist BILLY CORGAN, guitarist JEFF SCHROEDER, drummer MIKE BYRNE and bassist NICOLE FIORENTINO—at Corgan’s private studio in Chicago as a true album experience for listeners to fully immerse themselves in. Itentered the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart at No.4 and earned the No. 1 spot on the Independent Albums Chart. Marking THE SMASHING PUMPKINS’ 7th studio record, it is “an album within an album,” part of their 44-song work-in-progress TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE. The band launched their 2013 world tour in Mexico this past March and is heading to Europe and Japan for summer dates through August 11.
Old 06-05-13, 01:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on, give us the Adore reissue already. The Aeroplane Flies High is nice, but I'm not going to drop however many hundreds of dollars Billy wants for that.
Old 06-05-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
That'll probably retail for what, $500?
$136.38 right now at Amazon
Old 06-05-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

$50 is pushing it for ANY remastered album, whether it's 2 discs or 6.
Old 06-05-13, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I put in a request for the vinyl set for review. We'll see if that comes through.
Old 06-06-13, 12:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I owned the original Aeroplane set and sold it a few years later for practically nothing. I really wish I held onto that one.
Old 06-06-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
$50 is pushing it for ANY remastered album, whether it's 2 discs or 6.
Exactly.
Old 06-07-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Exactly.
If they add many additional songs, then I think it can be more than 50$. But not 130$.
Old 06-07-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yes, and what I really don't get is why there's been such a steep price increase lately. The Amazon prices don't reflect retail, but they've pretty much stayed the same in the last year or two...

1. Gish (2 CD + 1 DVD) - $26.99
2. Siamese Dream (2 CD + 1 DVD) - $26.56
3. Pisces Iscariot (2 CD + 1 DVD + 1 Casette) - $32.97
4. Mellon Collie (5 CD + 1 DVD + printed goodies) - $127.98
5. Aeroplane Flies High (6 CD + 1 DVD) - $130.17

Cut those last two in half and I'd consider 'em.
Old 11-02-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Mellon Collie box set is $69 on Amazon right now. Still more than I want to pay but it was $128 yesterday.
Old 07-17-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS’ INTIMATE 1998 MASTERPIECE ‘ADORE’

SET FOR REISSUE ON SEPTEMBER 23

107-track six-CD/DVD package, bundled with rarities, demos and outtakes along with a complete live show from Atlanta’s Fox Theater, will be released in addition to 90-track deluxe digital, double vinyl and single CD versions

Los Angeles, California – July 16, 2014 – When it was first released on June 1, 1998, the Smashing Pumpkins’ Adore, the follow-up to their mega-successful 1995 double album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, fans were puzzled by its lack of rock guitars, its folk and electronic elements and relative intimacy. Even the album title, as Billy Corgan mentions in the booklet that accompanies Universal Music Enterprises’ 107-track, six-CD/DVD reissue of the epic disc—due Virgin/UMe on Sept. 23—was misunderstood.

“The funny thing was [it] was a joke that no one ever got,” says Corgan, explaining that Adore was meant as a play on “A Door.” The Smashing Pumpkins’ Adore offered a new entrance to the band’s career, as Corgan experimented with and without the band–whose drummer (and Billy’s musical confidant), Jimmy Chamberlin’s absence played as large a role as his presence might have in the making of the record. The highly personal Corgan songs reflected on the then-recent loss of his mother (“For Martha,” “Once Upon a Time”), his divorce and female issues (“Ava Adore,” “Crestfallen,” “Pug,” “Annie Dog”) and some of the most incisive lyrics he’s ever written (“Blank Pages”).

More than 15 years later, Adore--part of the continuing series of reissues of the iconic alternative band’s acclaimed catalog via Virgin/Ume--stands the test of time or as Rolling Stone writer David Wild calls it in the liner booklet, “the surprisingly beautiful sound of a great band falling apart.” Adore will be released in four different formats; among the previously unreleased tracks is the never-before-available “Blissed and Gone.” Fans may recognize the melody as it can be briefly heard as the final track on the original Adore release.

The Adore Super Deluxe six-CD/DVD package includes 107 tracks, featuring a mono version of the album; “In a State of Passage,” with demos from Corgan’s home Sadlands studio; “Chalices, Palaces, and Deep Pools,” devoted to outtakes, among them an instrumental version of “For Martha,” produced by Flood and Corgan, and “Malice, Callous, and Fools,” featuring an outtake from the Rick Rubin/Corgan collaboration, ”Let Me Give the World to You.” A sixth disc, “Kissed Alive Too,” spotlights live tracks recorded in Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium and L.A.’s Dodger Stadium, among others, while the DVD captures the Smashing Pumpkins in an August 4, 1998 performance at Fox Theater in Atlanta, Georgia. A full booklet with liner notes is also part of the release.

In addition, Adore will be available as a single CD, a double-vinyl version and a deluxe, 90-track digital package.

Capturing a transitional period in the Smashing Pumpkins’ history, Billy Corgan was glad to revisit some of these songs, adding in versions with Bon Harris’ electronic wizardry that proves how the album was way ahead of its time. “I love Adore, but for a while, my opinion of the record was so intertwined with people’s reactions to it at the time. I would say that my kind of iffy feelings lingered long past the point when a lot of fans seemed to come back around to the record–which seemed to really start happening around seven years ago. Now Adore is name-checked by fans constantly.”

Now, thanks to UMe’s four-pronged restoration of this gem, the album can reach a whole new generation of fans, its themes of in Corgan’s words, “disassociation and disintegration and disembodiment” more relevant than ever more than a decade and a half later.--

Disc 1 – Adore: Stereo Remastered
01. To Sheila
02. Ava Adore
03. Perfect
04. Daphne Descends
05. Once Upon a Time
06. Tear
07. Crestfallen
08. Appels + Oranjes
09. Pug
10. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
11. Annie-Dog
12. Shame
13. Behold! the Night Mare
14. For Martha
15. Blank Page
16. 17

Disc 2 – Adore: Mono Remastered
01. To Sheila
02. Ava Adore
03. Perfect
04. Daphne Descends
05. Once Upon a Time
06. Tear
07. Crestfallen
08. Appels + Oranjes
09. Pug
10. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
11. Annie-Dog
12. Shame
13. Behold! the Night Mare
14. For Martha
15. Blank Page

Disc 3: In a State of Passage
01. Blissed and Gone (Sadlands Demo)
02. Christmastime (Sadlands Demo)
03. My Mistake (Sadlands Demo)
04. Sparrow (Sadlands Demo)
05. Valentine (Sadlands Demo)
06. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (Sadlands Demo)
07. What If? (Streeterville Demo)
08. Chewing Gum (CRC Demo)
09. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (CRC Demo)
10. The Ethers Tragic (Instrumental/ 2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
11. The Guns of Love Disastrous (Instrumental/ 2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
12. Annie-Dog (Take 10/ CRC Demo)
13. Once in a While (2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
14. Do You Close Your Eyes When You Kiss Me? (CRC Demo)
15. For Martha (Take 1/ CRC Demo)
16. My Mistake (Take 1/ CRC Demo)
17. Blissed and Gone (CRC Demo)
18. For Martha (Take 2/ Instrumental/ CRC Demo)

Disc 4: Chalices, Palaces and Deep Pools
01. For Martha (Symphonic Snippet/ Instrumental)
02. Crestfallen (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
03. To Sheila (Early Banjo Version)
04. Ava Adore (Puffy Combs Remix 1998)
05. O Rio (Instrumental/ Sadlands Demo)
06. Waiting (Adore Outtake)
07. Once Upon a Time (Sadlands Demo)
08. Eye (2014 Mix/ From the ‘Lost Highway’ Soundtrack)
09. Saturnine (For Piano and Voice)
10. Cash Car Star (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
11. Pug (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
12. Perfect (No Strings Version)
13. It’s Alright (Instrumental/ Adore Outtake)
14. Czarina (Take 1/ Adore Outtake)
15. Indecision (Sadlands Demo)
16. Blank Page (Early Version)

Disc 5: Malice, Callous and Fools
01. Let Me Give the World to You (Adore Outtake)
02. Tear (From Digital Transfer)
03. Cross (Adore Outtake)
04. Because You Are (Adore B-Side)
05. Jersey Shore (Sadlands Demo)
06. Shame (Take 1)
07. Summer (Instrumental/ Adore Outtake)
08. Blissed and Gone (Drone Version)
09. Heaven (Instrumental/ Sadlands Demo)
10. Daphne Descends (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
11. Saturnine (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
12. Behold! the Night Mare (Alternate Vocal)
13. Perfect (Acoustic Demo/ Adore Outtake)
14. Do You Close Your Eyes? (Adore Outtake)
15. The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning

Disc 6: Kissed Alive Too
01. Ava Adore (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
02. Daphne Descends (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
03. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
04. Tear (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
05. Shame (Live With Mancow/ Chicago)
06. Blank Page (Live With Mancow/ Chicago)
07. To Sheila (Live/ Nashville/ Ryman Auditorium)
08. Money (That’s What I Want) (Live/ Los Angeles/ Dodger Stadium)
09. X.Y.U. Medley (Live/ Los Angeles/ Dodger Stadium)
10. Transmission (Live/ Chicago/ Rehearsal)

Disc 7 – DVD: Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA – August 4, 1998
01. To Sheila
02. Behold! the Night Mare
03. Pug
04. Crestfallen
05. Ava Adore
06. Tear
07. Annie-Dog
08. Perfect
09. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
10. Tonight, Tonight
11. Once Upon a Time
12. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
13. Bullet with Butterfly Wings
14. Shame
15. For Martha
16. Blank Page
17. Transmission

Old 07-17-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Damn. That's awesome!
Old 08-11-14, 09:35 AM

Old 10-08-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has there been any rumors of them putting out a combined Machina as the next release in this reissue series? Would love to hear what a remixed/remastered Machina II would sound like.
Old 10-08-14, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Has there been any rumors of them putting out a combined Machina as the next release in this reissue series? Would love to hear what a remixed/remastered Machina II would sound like.
From the OP, posted in 2011:

Originally Posted by bearkiss
In 2013, the 2000 swan songs "Machina/The Machines of God" and "Machina II: The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music" will come out as one package. A hits package, presumably featuring such modern-rock radio staples as "1979," "Cherub Rock" and "Today," will also be released in 2013.
Behind schedule but I would expect the Machina reissue is still in the works.
Old 10-13-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matt
From the OP, posted in 2011:

Behind schedule but I would expect the Machina reissue is still in the works.
It is and should be out the first half of next year. Machina is actually a concept album; supposedly the entire sequence will be changed when Machina II is added in. But then again, Billy has changed his minds many times.

I still say that the production mix + not leaving Glass & The Ghost Children, The Crying Tree of Mercury and Blue Skies Bring Tears off the album stopped that album from being a major hit. That wall of sound thing just didn't work.

So did anyone grab the Adore release? I like it quit abit. That "Drone" version of Blissed & Gone is terrific.
Old 10-13-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Behind schedule would be a few months, not almost two years.

But if they do follow up with a combined Machina eventually (2015?) I'll be very pleased. Love the songs, but the mix on the current relases is terrible.
Old 10-13-14, 03:31 PM

Behind schedule would be a few months, not almost two years.
Okay, so it's not behind schedule, then. Sorry, everyone. My bad.
Old 10-13-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I was talking to Billy Corgan last week. Bizarrely enough, he came to my friend's garage sale. I should have asked him instead of making a joke about him looking for cheap Pumpkins CDs. He did laugh, though.
Old 10-13-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, but directing me to a post that states something that has been shown to be that far off made me laugh. If the the data in the OP was reliable I wouldn't have asked the question.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 10-13-14 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 03:58 PM

Sorry, but directing me to a post that states something that has been shown to be that far off made me laugh. If the the data in the OP was reliable I wouldn't have asked the question. :shug:
I'm not wasting any more of my time on you. :shug: indeed.
Old 10-18-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I still say that the production mix + not leaving Glass & The Ghost Children, The Crying Tree of Mercury and Blue Skies Bring Tears off the album stopped that album from being a major hit. That wall of sound thing just didn't work.
I hated the production mix the first time I listened to that CD. Awful.

But I love the "Blue Skies Bring Tears" version on Machina 2.
Old 10-20-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone interested the new Smashing Pumpkins single "Being Beige" is out now. Honestly, I'm shocked with how good it is.