Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MEGADETH: "PEACE SELLS... BUT WHO'S BUYING?" 25TH ANNIVERSARY -2CD & 5CD+3LP Box Set

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MEGADETH: "PEACE SELLS... BUT WHO'S BUYING?" 25TH ANNIVERSARY -2CD & 5CD+3LP Box Set

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: MEGADETH: "PEACE SELLS... BUT WHO'S BUYING?" 25TH ANNIVERSARY -2CD & 5CD+3LP Box

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Seriously? Have you heard the latest Megadeth album? It's better than 95% of any rock music around today (not that there is much to begin with). There are very few bands around that have been making excellent music for as long as Megadeth has. Megadeth is not "washed up". Not even close.
I think people are hating on him for other reasons you just mentioned.
I agree. The last two Megadeth cd's have been incredible. I like the line up that he has now. I just don't need to re-purchase something that I already own. As for the added concert, i would maybe buy the DVD of it , if it ever comes out. Plus I might think of getting the live cd if it was released by itself. i just have to use common sense and not re-purchase something that I already own. And No i'm not a Mustane hater. I actually like him. He's one of the few left that turn out old-time straight forward metal.
Old 04-27-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MEGADETH: "PEACE SELLS... BUT WHO'S BUYING?" 25TH ANNIVERSARY -2CD & 5CD+3LP Box

Originally Posted by banthafett
But pass my hate for the "new and improved" Dave (which by the way is still an asshole). .
Link?

I've met the guy a dozen times. Always cool to me.

I'm just wondering why he just doesn't change the lyrics to The Conjuring if he wants to keep playing the song. Got to give him credit for sticking to his beliefs.
Old 04-27-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the album is the same remix released in 2004 instead of a remaster of the original mix. I really hope the live disc is released individually because that's all I want from these sets but I doubt it.
Old 04-27-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I'm just wondering why he just doesn't change the lyrics to The Conjuring if he wants to keep playing the song.
We can only imagine what that would sound like...

Welcome to our sanctuary house of worship,
Feel at home in our bright vestibule,
As we proselytize,
All of those who canvass us,
Don't summon the choir,
Don't call the laymen,
If you need the strength,
The congregation. Amen!!! 

Last edited by wishbone; 04-28-11 at 12:06 PM. Reason: frackin' typo...
Old 04-27-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wishbone
We can only imagine what that would sound like...

Welcome to out sanctuary house of worship,
Feel at home in our bright vestibule,
As we proselytize,
All of those who canvass us,
Don't summon the choir,
Don't call the laymen,
If you need the strength,
The congregation. Amen!!! 
ah, pretty funny. Good one!

But he can just take out the supposed "incantations" or "spells" that are in there and be ok.

Yeah, I sure wish he wouldn't be talking so religious all the time. It's a turn off (and I'm fairly religious myself!). Still, he has balls. And has the balls to speak his mind.
Old 04-28-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have this already so no go for me but would like the live CD.

To be honest I had given up on Megadeth a long time ago but with all this talk here about how great the recent release(s) have been I may have to check out it out.
Old 04-28-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You know, every time I ask someone why they think Dave Mustaine's an asshole, it always boils down to "He just *IS*!!" without any evidence or reasoning behind it whatsoever.

Just how people are, I guess.
Old 04-28-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a big metal fan, but I always thought Mustaine showed a great sense of melody in his songwriting. Symphony of Destruction is a great tune.
Old 04-29-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Seriously? Have you heard the latest Megadeth album? It's better than 95% of any rock music around today (not that there is much to begin with). There are very few bands around that have been making excellent music for as long as Megadeth has. Megadeth is not "washed up". Not even close.
I think people are hating on him for other reasons you just mentioned.
listened to the itunes preview and it sounds like the 80's type stuff he used to play. i bought Rust and Peace and a few songs from a few other early albums recently. used to own them in the 80's and 90's and lost them or scratched them up. just for nostalgia.

80s metal/hard rock peaked a long time ago at least in the USA. seems to have huge fan bases around the world in south america and parts of asia.

i discovered 70's punk recently and listening to a backlog of New York Dolls and Iggy Pop and look for other 70's punk bands. and mostly modern alt rock. but i do play my metal playlist sometimes
Old 04-29-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
80s metal/hard rock peaked a long time ago at least in the USA. seems to have huge fan bases around the world in south america and parts of asia.

i discovered 70's punk recently and listening to a backlog of New York Dolls and Iggy Pop and look for other 70's punk bands. and mostly modern alt rock. but i do play my metal playlist sometimes
And yet who are the New York Dolls opening for this summer? Motley Crue & Poison. Talk about peaked... and embarassing...
Old 04-29-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

fast forwarding through their new video isn't making me buy their tickets. same with poison and motley crue. the last few years their claim to fame seems to be being on reality shows. along with ozzy and kiss.

compare to say bon jovi and bruce springsteen
Old 04-29-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fast forwarding through their new video isn't making me buy their tickets. same with poison and motley crue. the last few years their claim to fame seems to be being on reality shows. along with ozzy and kiss.

compare to say bon jovi and bruce springsteen
Springsteen, sure. But Bon Jovi? Like Poison, they've always been terrible. Crue was at least a viable metal/hair/glam band for a few albums; now they're just a nostalgia act. Gene Simmons has his obnoxious reality show but at Kiss is at least putting out new music (their last album was decent). Ozzy's been a joke for 20 years now.

Which is why I still love Maiden, Megadeth, Priest, etc. Still touring, still making new music, still flying the flag without resorting to acting like a bunch of big stupid media whores.
Old 04-29-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Bon Jovi is still raking in cash playing music, though, aren't they?

(Though I don't consider them "metal" by an definition, more arena rock like Journey or Boston.)
Old 04-29-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if it wasn't for metallica would megadeth, anthrax and slayer be playing the huge arenas?

and listened to the preview of the new New York Dolls album on itunes, sounds like elevator music. doesn't compare to Pills, Personality Crisis or Looking for a Kiss

Last edited by al_bundy; 04-29-11 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-29-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

if it wasn't for metallica would megadeth, anthrax and slayer be playing the huge arenas?
Metallica is definitely the biggest of the Big Four but I think the answer would be yes -- after all they were able to hold their own on the Clash of the Titans tour.
Old 04-29-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

but that was 20 years ago, i meant now when all the fans grew up
Old 04-29-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone
Metallica is definitely the biggest of the Big Four but I think the answer would be yes -- after all they were able to hold their own on the Clash of the Titans tour.
Metallica is bigger than all three, combined, many times over. Still though, the Big 3 toured last summer, but down here they only played a smaller local amphitheater. I'm not a Slayer fan, and the fact that they were the last act on the bill was great for me, as I was in downtown Miami and I went to a killer Colombian restaurant that has arepas that are so good, you'll plotz.
Old 07-12-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yd0CEWt58P8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yd0CEWt58P8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 07-13-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://s3.amazonaws.com/SG-Downloads/stargreetz2.swf
Old 07-13-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a really cool set but I have no use for vinyl.
Old 07-16-11, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...8-468e0efd25bb

What’s your most vivid memory of the Peace Sells sessions?

Well, there’s a lot of stuff that was very vivid. I mean we’re talking about us starting to make money and having four functioning heroin addicts in the band. We would roll up to the studio and one of the band members would be slouched in the doorway waiting for us to take him to the methadone clinic—or downtown, as the case may be. Listening to the songs it’s amazing, cause I listen to Chris Poland’s guitar playing and his rhythm playing and it’s so staccato, so perfectly picked and stuff like that—it almost borders on not cool, but mixed along with the sloppiness of my guitar playing, it really has a dangerous element to it. And then listening to a lot of the guitar solos, man, we were really a dangerous band back then.

As someone who doesn’t do drugs, I’m genuinely curious from a physical standpoint how you could do a high-level opiate/depressant and play as fast as you played. Could you explain?

Here’s the thing. Your body normally excretes endorphins called dopamine. You have it, I have it too, except that when I was introduced to it, I was introduced to it in excess, and it felt really enjoyable to me. I had complete understanding of the ramifications, of what would happen if I started doing it routinely, and I did, and that’s when I ended up becoming addicted to the stuff. Now playing fast—you can play as fast as you want to [on heroin]. It’s not something like Thorazine, where you’re gonna be chewing your tongue up and wetting your pants. It was just basically putting the same enzymes or whatever back into your body, the dopamine, the endorphins. And in this type of work, it’s a very bohemian kind of thing, when people know people who do heroin or sell it or whatever, they usually know people who have stimulants, too. So not to have this conversation go totally terrible, but usually when people have to play fast and they can’t, they’ll cheat. For me, I was always playing fast. I played fast when I was in Metallica, before I was even introduced to any of that stuff.

Nowadays thrash is a codified style of playing guitar, but when you were doing it in the ’80s, you were inventing it as you went along. Were you a conventional hard rock/metal guitar player when you started out, and how did you begin to put together your speed metal style?

Well, the stuff that I liked growing up was AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, but I also liked the Beatles and guys like Cat Stevens and Elton John. The music I liked was very eclectic. A lot of it was from the British Invasion. The guitar influence that affected my songwriting came from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. So I would have to say my whole style is supported around the whole blues thing, and going into making a thrash style…I guess because I had such a horrible life growing up, going from place to place not knowing what I was gonna do and ending up being homeless, there was a lot of pain and a lot of anger that was coming out through my guitar playing. I listen to other people play guitar, and when they play it, they can make it sound beautiful and write real pretty songs and stuff like that. I’m just incapable of doing that. I have this built-in governor that when the song gets a little too happy, something in the back of my head just goes, “Crap,” and just stops it. I can’t proceed with it. I don’t know why.

Tell me about the version of “I Ain’t Superstitious” that’s on the album—what were you thinking throwing a blues-rock song in amid all that ultra-precise thrash, and how do you think it turned out, overall?

That was a very interesting experiment for me, because I didn’t know very much Jeff Beck. I knew who he was, and I knew he was a great, but I was not a fan of his at all. Not because he’s not good, I just wasn’t a fan. And what happened was, a manager of ours at the time said, “You know, dude, you gotta do this song by Jeff Beck. You need to do ‘I Ain’t Superstitious.’” So I listened to it, and what I keyed into was the two drum hits at the end of the [riff]. And then what I did was my typical thing; what I like to do a lot with my arranging is, the first half of the song will be one thing and then the second half will be a completely higher gear we can drop it into. And with “I Ain’t Superstitious,” it started off having the normal riff that the song had, kind of a bastardized blues-rock progression, and then at the end it totally steps up to a thrash progression, and to me, that’s what makes the song really exciting, how it just kicks into that whole new level. And again, that showcases Chris Poland’s guitar work. I think that he excels the most when he gets to play jazz, because his playing is more jazz-oriented. But in that song, he really shone.

The song “Peace Sells” is the only really politically or socially conscious song on the record—how did it wind up becoming the title track?

I don’t really know—probably because it was the strongest title. The title actually came from me; I was homeless at the time, living in a warehouse that we were doing our rehearsals in, and there was a girl who took pity on me and every once in a while would call up and ask me to come over, and we would spend the night together and she’d feed me and I’d get cleaned up and stuff like that. And I woke up one morning and I saw a magazine on her nightstand and it said, “Peace sells, but nobody’s buying it.” And I went oh my God, I gotta write a song about that. So I changed the words around a little bit and I started writing the song, but of course I was living at the rehearsal building like I said, so I had no paper, and I took a pen and wrote the lyrics on the wall there. To this day I still wonder if the lady who had that rehearsal building was smart enough to cut that wall out and immortalize it.

When you were making the record, were you already trying to get off Combat? And did you talk to other major labels before signing with Capitol?

I think we were trying to get off Combat from the moment we were on Combat. When we went there, we told them what our plan was, and they gave us money to do Killing is My Business, and the budget was such an offense to us—to make a record, you need to have a certain amount of money, and they gave us eight thousand dollars. Add to that the fact that the guy who was managing us had taken one of the band members off to score and spent half our recording budget. He bought four thousand dollars worth of drugs and food, and came back to Indigo Ranch, where we were working, and said “Look, I got everything, here we are and here’s our food, let’s go.” I was like, are you out of your mind? So that already put us in a bad way. And when it was time to do the second record, we had already got the album cover back for the first record, and it’s got this plastic skull head on it, and I was really mad. Yeah, we wanted off that label. So when Capitol asked us to come on board, we were definitely happy. Now there was another label that was courting us at the time, and that was Elektra. But they had Metallica, and another band, Metal Church. And I thought it would be great to be there, but I just didn’t see it working out, because the guys in Metallica were there, and I’m smart enough to know that if you have two big stallions in a barn, one of ’em is gonna get all the mares. That kind of mentality, in the natural world it just doesn’t work. Somebody gets their feelings hurt, somebody gets more attention than the next person, it just doesn’t work. So we decided we didn’t want to be with that label, and when Capitol came their offer was better anyway, so we said, Good, we’re going here, thanks, nice to know you, see you later.

You guys already had something of a reputation as drinkers and general troublemakers in ’86, so did Capitol sign you with the album already complete, or did they give you money to make an album? How much trust did they have in you?

We’d finished Peace Sells, and we even actually had the album with the cover, and in Combat fashion, the album cover was utter trash. It was cardboard with black bullets stenciled onto it, and I looked at it and thought, you’ve gotta be kidding. I’ve seen crap before in my life, but this was the absolute lowest and most offensive thing I’ve ever seen in our career. To this day, it still stands as the worst piece of artwork that’s ever been officially presented to us. And they really, honestly thought that it was good. And I thought to myself, God, you poor guys, I can’t believe that you are that daft that you don’t know that this isn’t good. So we just kinda moved on. Now when we went into the studio, we had recorded it with a guy named Randy Burns, who had done Killing is My Business, but we’d developed a kind of funky habit that started after that first record. We started with a guy named Karat Faye, changed horses mid-stream, and finished with Randy Burns. We started Peace Sells with Randy Burns and finished it with Paul Lani. We started So Far, So Good…So What? with Paul Lani and finished it with Michael Wagener. We started Youthanasia with Mike Clink and finished it with Max Norman. So we ended up getting into a bad habit where we’d be working on records, and the guys we were working with just weren’t cutting it, and we’d have to change them. I won’t get into all the details and stuff, but when we had Peace Sells finished and Capitol bought it, they said “We want you to have this guy named Paul Lani mix it.” I said OK, cool, and they had him mix it. Now, Paul had finished mixing our record, and it was on the shelves—imagine my horror when I asked, so what has Paul done besides Megadeth? And they said “Oh, Rod Stewart.” You could hear my ass hit the ground. I was so mortified.
Old 07-16-11, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...8-468e0efd25bb

What’s your most vivid memory of the Peace Sells sessions?

Well, there’s a lot of stuff that was very vivid. I mean we’re talking about us starting to make money and having four functioning heroin addicts in the band. We would roll up to the studio and one of the band members would be slouched in the doorway waiting for us to take him to the methadone clinic—or downtown, as the case may be. Listening to the songs it’s amazing, cause I listen to Chris Poland’s guitar playing and his rhythm playing and it’s so staccato, so perfectly picked and stuff like that—it almost borders on not cool, but mixed along with the sloppiness of my guitar playing, it really has a dangerous element to it. And then listening to a lot of the guitar solos, man, we were really a dangerous band back then.

As someone who doesn’t do drugs, I’m genuinely curious from a physical standpoint how you could do a high-level opiate/depressant and play as fast as you played. Could you explain?

Here’s the thing. Your body normally excretes endorphins called dopamine. You have it, I have it too, except that when I was introduced to it, I was introduced to it in excess, and it felt really enjoyable to me. I had complete understanding of the ramifications, of what would happen if I started doing it routinely, and I did, and that’s when I ended up becoming addicted to the stuff. Now playing fast—you can play as fast as you want to [on heroin]. It’s not something like Thorazine, where you’re gonna be chewing your tongue up and wetting your pants. It was just basically putting the same enzymes or whatever back into your body, the dopamine, the endorphins. And in this type of work, it’s a very bohemian kind of thing, when people know people who do heroin or sell it or whatever, they usually know people who have stimulants, too. So not to have this conversation go totally terrible, but usually when people have to play fast and they can’t, they’ll cheat. For me, I was always playing fast. I played fast when I was in Metallica, before I was even introduced to any of that stuff.

Nowadays thrash is a codified style of playing guitar, but when you were doing it in the ’80s, you were inventing it as you went along. Were you a conventional hard rock/metal guitar player when you started out, and how did you begin to put together your speed metal style?

Well, the stuff that I liked growing up was AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, but I also liked the Beatles and guys like Cat Stevens and Elton John. The music I liked was very eclectic. A lot of it was from the British Invasion. The guitar influence that affected my songwriting came from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. So I would have to say my whole style is supported around the whole blues thing, and going into making a thrash style…I guess because I had such a horrible life growing up, going from place to place not knowing what I was gonna do and ending up being homeless, there was a lot of pain and a lot of anger that was coming out through my guitar playing. I listen to other people play guitar, and when they play it, they can make it sound beautiful and write real pretty songs and stuff like that. I’m just incapable of doing that. I have this built-in governor that when the song gets a little too happy, something in the back of my head just goes, “Crap,” and just stops it. I can’t proceed with it. I don’t know why.

Tell me about the version of “I Ain’t Superstitious” that’s on the album—what were you thinking throwing a blues-rock song in amid all that ultra-precise thrash, and how do you think it turned out, overall?

That was a very interesting experiment for me, because I didn’t know very much Jeff Beck. I knew who he was, and I knew he was a great, but I was not a fan of his at all. Not because he’s not good, I just wasn’t a fan. And what happened was, a manager of ours at the time said, “You know, dude, you gotta do this song by Jeff Beck. You need to do ‘I Ain’t Superstitious.’” So I listened to it, and what I keyed into was the two drum hits at the end of the [riff]. And then what I did was my typical thing; what I like to do a lot with my arranging is, the first half of the song will be one thing and then the second half will be a completely higher gear we can drop it into. And with “I Ain’t Superstitious,” it started off having the normal riff that the song had, kind of a bastardized blues-rock progression, and then at the end it totally steps up to a thrash progression, and to me, that’s what makes the song really exciting, how it just kicks into that whole new level. And again, that showcases Chris Poland’s guitar work. I think that he excels the most when he gets to play jazz, because his playing is more jazz-oriented. But in that song, he really shone.

The song “Peace Sells” is the only really politically or socially conscious song on the record—how did it wind up becoming the title track?

I don’t really know—probably because it was the strongest title. The title actually came from me; I was homeless at the time, living in a warehouse that we were doing our rehearsals in, and there was a girl who took pity on me and every once in a while would call up and ask me to come over, and we would spend the night together and she’d feed me and I’d get cleaned up and stuff like that. And I woke up one morning and I saw a magazine on her nightstand and it said, “Peace sells, but nobody’s buying it.” And I went oh my God, I gotta write a song about that. So I changed the words around a little bit and I started writing the song, but of course I was living at the rehearsal building like I said, so I had no paper, and I took a pen and wrote the lyrics on the wall there. To this day I still wonder if the lady who had that rehearsal building was smart enough to cut that wall out and immortalize it.

When you were making the record, were you already trying to get off Combat? And did you talk to other major labels before signing with Capitol?

I think we were trying to get off Combat from the moment we were on Combat. When we went there, we told them what our plan was, and they gave us money to do Killing is My Business, and the budget was such an offense to us—to make a record, you need to have a certain amount of money, and they gave us eight thousand dollars. Add to that the fact that the guy who was managing us had taken one of the band members off to score and spent half our recording budget. He bought four thousand dollars worth of drugs and food, and came back to Indigo Ranch, where we were working, and said “Look, I got everything, here we are and here’s our food, let’s go.” I was like, are you out of your mind? So that already put us in a bad way. And when it was time to do the second record, we had already got the album cover back for the first record, and it’s got this plastic skull head on it, and I was really mad. Yeah, we wanted off that label. So when Capitol asked us to come on board, we were definitely happy. Now there was another label that was courting us at the time, and that was Elektra. But they had Metallica, and another band, Metal Church. And I thought it would be great to be there, but I just didn’t see it working out, because the guys in Metallica were there, and I’m smart enough to know that if you have two big stallions in a barn, one of ’em is gonna get all the mares. That kind of mentality, in the natural world it just doesn’t work. Somebody gets their feelings hurt, somebody gets more attention than the next person, it just doesn’t work. So we decided we didn’t want to be with that label, and when Capitol came their offer was better anyway, so we said, Good, we’re going here, thanks, nice to know you, see you later.

You guys already had something of a reputation as drinkers and general troublemakers in ’86, so did Capitol sign you with the album already complete, or did they give you money to make an album? How much trust did they have in you?

We’d finished Peace Sells, and we even actually had the album with the cover, and in Combat fashion, the album cover was utter trash. It was cardboard with black bullets stenciled onto it, and I looked at it and thought, you’ve gotta be kidding. I’ve seen crap before in my life, but this was the absolute lowest and most offensive thing I’ve ever seen in our career. To this day, it still stands as the worst piece of artwork that’s ever been officially presented to us. And they really, honestly thought that it was good. And I thought to myself, God, you poor guys, I can’t believe that you are that daft that you don’t know that this isn’t good. So we just kinda moved on. Now when we went into the studio, we had recorded it with a guy named Randy Burns, who had done Killing is My Business, but we’d developed a kind of funky habit that started after that first record. We started with a guy named Karat Faye, changed horses mid-stream, and finished with Randy Burns. We started Peace Sells with Randy Burns and finished it with Paul Lani. We started So Far, So Good…So What? with Paul Lani and finished it with Michael Wagener. We started Youthanasia with Mike Clink and finished it with Max Norman. So we ended up getting into a bad habit where we’d be working on records, and the guys we were working with just weren’t cutting it, and we’d have to change them. I won’t get into all the details and stuff, but when we had Peace Sells finished and Capitol bought it, they said “We want you to have this guy named Paul Lani mix it.” I said OK, cool, and they had him mix it. Now, Paul had finished mixing our record, and it was on the shelves—imagine my horror when I asked, so what has Paul done besides Megadeth? And they said “Oh, Rod Stewart.” You could hear my ass hit the ground. I was so mortified.
Old 10-01-11, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally got this, I ended getting the 2discer. Peace sounds real good, the live show is killer.

Old 10-01-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

The last time Megadeth played locally, it was in a 1,200 seat theatre. Sold out very quickly, but still was a pretty small venue. Previous Gigantour dates have been in mid-size outdoor tent venues. I think the arena days are over in the US for metal, except for Metallica, Maiden, and a select few.
Old 10-01-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they just had a big 4 show in Yankee Stadium a few weeks back. 2 kids means i can't go.

I think it's a demographic issue just like Bruce Springsteen and his dip in popularity in the 1990's. someone i know in his 50's is a huge fan. i looked at the time frame his kids went away to college and it matched up with Bruce getting popular again. a lot of the people in the audience are old geezers who have money once they dumped the kids to school

My guess is once these guys are eligible for medicare and SS their fans will have enough time and disposable income to see them again