DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   That Metal Show on VH1 Classic (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/588778-metal-show-vh1-classic.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 03-21-11 08:12 AM

That Metal Show on VH1 Classic

Any fans or loyal viewers and do you respect their knowledge of Metal?

I watched occasionally if they had one of my favorite bands or artists but this show has grown on me and now I even watch if Def Leppard is on.

Eddie Trunk's knowledge on metal is amazing and stump the trunk is one of the best segments on TV & Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson are pretty funny.

Miss box of Junk is not bad either

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/200811/946.f.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ennifer001.jpg

cungar 03-21-11 08:18 AM

Re: That Metal Show on VH1 Classic

It's a mildly entertaining show. Not exactly the most intriguing interviews I've ever heard. Some of the audience members scare me.

B5Erik 03-21-11 08:51 AM

I enjoy the show. It is a good, halfway entertaining time killer.

Josh-da-man 03-21-11 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10688758)
Not exactly the most intriguing interviews I've ever heard.

What's really annoying is that I think the interviews are actually better than what they put in the final show. There are bits they put in the "scrap metal" season finales that are kind of awesome, but the interviews on the episodes seldom go beyond How are you? What have you been doing? Touring?

Mayoman 03-21-11 09:59 AM

Did you know Miss Box of Junk recently died?

Ringmaster 03-21-11 10:22 AM

The original Miss Box of junk, Kerri Lee, died a couple of years ago, not Jennifer, the woman pictured above.

Bluelitespecial 03-21-11 10:43 AM

I really wish they could any of the members of Motley Crue to appear on the show. Or even for a joke Steel Panther.

Matt 03-21-11 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 10688753)
Miss box of Junk is not bad either

I'd fill up her box with my junk anytime.

Imprint 03-21-11 12:46 PM

I love That Metal Show. I'm looking forward to reading Eddie's book too.

Phodg 03-21-11 01:06 PM

I like Trunk and respect his knowledge. I like Florentine as a comedian, but as a metal show host he's terrible. Jamieson's at least a bit more knowledgeable.

Hokeyboy 03-21-11 03:45 PM

It's a clunky show but I enjoy it :up:

I like Trunk's radio shows as well. He's had some pretty great interviews on both the Q104 and Boneyard channels.

EdTheRipper 03-21-11 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 10688787)
I enjoy the show. It is a good, halfway entertaining time killer.

Same for me. If I happen to stumble upon it, I tend to watch.

Ghym 03-21-11 04:22 PM

I enjoy it. I like it more, now that it's an hour long. I have my DVR set to record the series, and didn't know the new season had started, until I noticed that it had been recorded. Pretty decent episode this week.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-21-11 05:18 PM

Kirk Hammett was this weeks guest.

They should add a live performance segment where one of their guests performs live or other bands could perform if they want to promote their new albums.

The guest guitarist does not count.

The original Miss Box of junk, Kerri Lee, died a couple of years ago, not Jennifer, the woman pictured above.
What did she die from? I thought maybe she moved on to another project.

Hokeyboy 03-21-11 07:32 PM

I believe it was a drug overdose... Not 100% on that though.

Spottedfeather 03-21-11 08:06 PM

The DJ from my local station, Johnny Dare, is friends with Jim Florentine and Don Jameson. They're supposed to bring the show to Kansas City to film at Rockfest, which is the biggest one day festival in america. I think there were over 55,000 people who went last year. I've never heard of most of the bands that play Rockfest, but I like the idea of it. Unfortunately, I don't have any way of getting to the show even if I could afford the 35 dollar ticket. No one else in my family likes metal, so I'd have to go by myself. I could ask a friend to take me, but I don't have any.

nodeerforamonth 03-21-11 08:38 PM

Love the show, but it's not long enough. 30min (20 after commercials) is not long enough to do indepth interviews with bands.

Hokeyboy 03-21-11 08:50 PM

^Umm... the show is an hour long now. :)

Fist of Doom 03-21-11 09:38 PM

:up: Thanks for starting this thread. I had no idea the new season had started.

nodeerforamonth 03-21-11 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10689717)
^Umm... the show is an hour long now. :)

What do they do with the extra time? Hopefully longer interviews...

wm lopez 03-22-11 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 10689470)
Kirk Hammett was this weeks guest.

They should add a live performance segment where one of their guests performs live or other bands could perform if they want to promote their new albums.

The guest guitarist does not count.

That was so cool what Kirk did with hiring that artist to make lifelike wax figures of Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi. I wish i knew the name of the artist to see more of his work.

islandclaws 03-22-11 10:51 AM

I DVR the show because I'm a metalhead, but I think it could use some work. They made some changes recently that improved things, but I don't know if adding an extra 30 min. was a good thing. Trunk is good although, to quote someone whose name escapes me, he treats bands like sports teams; he seems less passionate about metal, more like soneone who just collects facts in his head.

Jamieson is a fucking knob. He talks out of his ass a lot, even more when he obviously has no clue what he's talking about.

Florentine is decent - he's got the best jokes of the three. But none of these guys is a great interviewer.

Ropes Pierre 03-23-11 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 10689470)

Junk overdose.

Shamus McAnally 03-23-11 06:25 PM

Because of my love for music/metal, this show is must-see TV. Some episodes are much better than others. I like the idea of an hour, but definitely hope it plays out differently in the future.

Since they have a guest guitarist there anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing music incorporated into the show somehow. Whether it's the guitar guy and the guest(s) jamming on a song or having a "house band" of some of the more unknown acts that they feel deserve some exposure or anything like that.

I'll never not watch though. It's too much of a heater right down the middle of the plate for me to pass up.

Chaza 03-24-11 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather (Post 10689661)
The DJ from my local station, Johnny Dare, is friends with Jim Florentine and Don Jameson. They're supposed to bring the show to Kansas City to film at Rockfest, which is the biggest one day festival in america. I think there were over 55,000 people who went last year. I've never heard of most of the bands that play Rockfest, but I like the idea of it. Unfortunately, I don't have any way of getting to the show even if I could afford the 35 dollar ticket. No one else in my family likes metal, so I'd have to go by myself. I could ask a friend to take me, but I don't have any.

I go to probably 30-50 concerts a year by myself, so you should try it. I go to like 10-20 with friends but, if I want to see a band I'm going to see them.