DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Rebecca Black's "Friday" — This Week's Worst Song of All Time (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/588651-rebecca-blacks-friday-%97-weeks-worst-song-all-time.html)

The Bus 03-17-11 01:58 PM

Rebecca Black's "Friday" — This Week's Worst Song of All Time

I submit for your review and perusal this year's entry into the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8">Stick Stickly</a> Hall of Fame.

Jam Master Jay 03-17-11 02:01 PM

Re: Rebecca Black's "Friday" — This Week's Worst Song of All Time

Everyone is now dumber for having listened to this. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Jam Master Jay 03-17-11 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 10684014)
I submit for your review and perusal this year's entry into the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8">Stick Stickly</a> Hall of Fame.

Now THIS on the other hand was hilarious! The part where they were all headbanging at the same time! or when the techno beat comes in and the guy starting singing autotune! :lol:

islandclaws 03-17-11 02:16 PM

I hate you for introducing something into my life that I would have otherwise never known about.

riotinmyskull 03-17-11 02:28 PM

oh you guys aint seen shit yet...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7DwT_2QQU64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kstublen 03-17-11 02:42 PM

"Friday" is so much worse than "My Jeans."

Numanoid 03-17-11 03:06 PM

That Friday song sounds suspiciously like this commercial jingle, yet even worse somehow:

kstublen 03-17-11 03:07 PM

Hey now, I actually like that Education Connection song.

Numanoid 03-17-11 03:09 PM

Oh, dear lord.

Why Rebecca Black’s “Friday” exists

By James Lileks
March 17, 2011

Front seat? Back seat? How about the trunk? If you’ve heard “Friday” - that’s a three-syllable word now - you know that it’s either the BEST SONG! about Friday EVAR! because you’re 14 and it’s right up your demographic alley, or you hate it. Ten million people have watched the YouTube video - sorry, that was yesterday; it’s up to 11 million now - and it’s entered the top 100 on iTunes. That’s right. It’s a hit. But how did it come to exist in the first place? Who sat down and wrote those lyrics? Didn’t some one stop and say “Hey, we have to say something more about cereal. It’s not enough to say you gotta have it. What rhymes with cereal?” (Puzzled looks around the table) “Okay, never mind that then.”

As for why it exists, bohemian.com says blame these guys.

The answer is Ark Music Factory, a Los Angeles-based company operating as an industry hybrid of Maurice Starr and John Bennett Ramsey. :whofart: Their casting calls are perfect bait for starry-eyed parents: “If you are a great singer without any material and you want to get discovered,” one reads, “then Ark Music Factory is looking for you.”
The formula is simple: They’ll fly your child between the specified ages of 13-17 to Los Angeles, write her a “hit,” record it in super-compressed Autotuned production, shoot an edge detection-overlay video and BAM! Maybe your kid can notch up a couple thousand YouTube views while you watch your dreams of being a pop-star parent percolate.

That’s right: rich parents are indulging their kid’s pop-star fantasies, and who pays the price? Well, they do, in the specific sense. But the rest of us pay, too, if these things start to appear in places like shopping-mall background music, where there’s not a MUTE or BACK button you can hit.

If this makes you despise the parents for some reason, keep in mind that they paid a lot of money for graphics that look like something a 4th grader would do:
http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/us...0546_black.jpg

Numanoid 03-17-11 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 10684179)
Hey now, I actually like that Education Connection song.

Well, I did say that Friday was worse. :D

kstublen 03-17-11 03:17 PM

It makes me so uncomfortable watching her stand on the stage in the end with her arms just hanging motionless by her side.

Groucho 03-17-11 03:20 PM

That thing is the second worst disaster I've heard about this week.

DonnachaOne 03-17-11 03:20 PM

I managed to watch the whole thing. I feel stronger.

DonnachaOne 03-17-11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10684214)
That thing is the second worst disaster I've heard about this week.

rotfl

The Bus 03-17-11 03:22 PM

Aaand, it's up to 12MM hits.

Boba Fett 03-17-11 03:53 PM

Rypro 525 03-17-11 04:43 PM

The answer is Ark Music Factory, a Los Angeles-based company operating as an industry hybrid of Maurice Starr and John Bennett Ramsey

THAT John Bennett Ramsey?

Jam Master Jay 03-17-11 05:05 PM

You should check the Ark Music Factory website for a good laugh...or cry...whatever.

So I can't decide what's my favorite part of the "Friday" video, it's either the random guy rapping in the car or her and friends partying' in the convertible like so
http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/image...0112644-16.gif

Dan 03-17-11 09:28 PM

Bob Lefsetz on Rebecca Black. My favorite bits....

This is what the Black Eyed Peas have wrought. After songs with inane lyrics like "My Humps" and "Boom Boom Pow" is it any wonder that Rebecca Black’s trifle is a YouTube sensation?
This is just the logical conclusion to where the major labels and radio have led us. And you wonder why both are dying.
It does not matter exactly why this video caught fire. That’s what happens online. There’s a constant flow of overnight sensations, train-wrecks we watch, discuss for a nanosecond and then move on from.
Little kids like seeing people their own age. Little kids want to believe they too can be stars. That if they met Rebecca Black, their life would work. It’s about the fantasy. It’s not about the music.
And if you’re over twenty and your peers are interested in Rebecca Black, you must be a pedophile.

mhg83 03-17-11 10:29 PM

Randy Newmans' daughter?

manicsounds 03-18-11 12:11 AM

I'm still pretty sure this thing is all a joke. Surely no one actually likes this kind of music?
This almost seems like a parody of bad pop songs, showing how bad it could be.

Numanoid 03-18-11 12:38 AM

That's what I said about rap music in the early '80s. I was sure it would die a quick death, like disco. :(

NiCK Crush 03-18-11 01:08 AM

she's gonna be on Good Morning America tomorrow

hal9000 03-18-11 02:49 AM

yes-ter-day was Thursday, Thursday
toodaay it is Friday, Friday
we, we, we so excited

Holy shit! I can't stop singing it... make it stop.
I knew better than to click on this thread.
:doh:

Thanks.

The Bus 03-18-11 06:05 AM

Now at 15.8MM at 7AM. If she's really doing to be on GMA (part of Disney, shocker), expect this to get much higher views by end of day.