Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rebecca Black's "Friday" — This Week's Worst Song of All Time

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rebecca Black's "Friday" — This Week's Worst Song of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rebecca Black's "Friday" — This Week's Worst Song of All Time

Originally Posted by statcat
can we just let this thread die? It's sad truly talented people are playing bars without any attention while this crap is being talked about. Sure it's mostly about how much it sucks but it still has more attention!
Rebecca Black is terrible, but IMO she's no worse than Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga (the biggest copycat around, and with a megalomaniac attitude that rivals Michael Jackson) or most of those Idol/X-Factor hacks. If we can continue discussing them, why not Black?
Old 07-19-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Rebecca Black is terrible, but IMO she's no worse than Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga (the biggest copycat around, and with a megalomaniac attitude that rivals Michael Jackson) or most of those Idol/X-Factor hacks. If we can continue discussing them, why not Black?
We don't discuss them.
Old 07-20-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
We don't discuss them.
Maybe you don't, but the Born This Way thread has 221 posts on it on this very page.
Old 07-20-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Rebecca Black
Rails against haters on 'Early Show'
July 19, 2011

14-year-old singer Rebecca Black stopped by the Early Show on CBS this morning to chat about "My Moment," the follow up to her viral hit "Friday." Black says that with the new single, she aims to "tell off the haters a little bit," but still show that she is "a serious artist." When asked how she coped with the firestorm of criticism that went along with the massive popularity of "Friday," the singer explained that she mostly got through it with the support of her mother. ""She's always supported me, ever since I was a little 2-year-old in dance recitals," she says. "Luckily, the haters don't have to watch 'Friday' or 'My Moment.' So they can turn it off if they want. They don't have to hate. But it doesn't bother me anymore."
I think she is pulling a massive troll job, and will reveal herself to be a 14 year old Sacha Baron Cohen.
Old 07-26-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Here's the "unplugged" version. Anyone have a couple of icepicks I can borrow?

<object width="464" height="376" id="2085449" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid<param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/MjA4NTQ0OQ=="></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/MjA4NTQ0OQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="376"></embed></object>
Rebecca Black - My Moment (UN-AUTO-TUNED VERSION!) - Watch more Funny Videos
Old 07-26-11, 07:57 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-27-11, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that real? Because that is really bad.
Old 07-27-11, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

It's definitely fake. First of all, autotuned or not, the voices sound nothing alike. Second, it's credited at the end as being a Break.com Original.

Last edited by The Infidel; 07-27-11 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm disappointed that none of the major retailers scooped her up to be the spokesperson/mascot for Black Friday this year.
Old 11-14-11, 02:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That's pretty clever.

I'm glad someone bumped this thread because I've been thinking about this song a lot lately. Sure it's bad, but it's no worse than a recent chart topper that is awful incarnate -- Moves Like Jagger

Blacks' song may be bad, but the corporate music scene is capable of far worse. She's a teenage girl who paid some company to write and record a bad song, no crime there. The people behind Moves Like Jagger have big money, top talent at their disposal, etc. yet that's the best they could come up with. They recorded a crime against music. Everyone wants to belittle this chick while powerful people in the music industry foisted this awful fucking piece of shit and it seems to be passing without comment.
Old 11-14-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Meh. It's just a dance song. I'm sure it's fine in the context of a dance club. And also, music like that is geared toward 14 year-olds. The problem really is with people who get older yet don't realize that pop music is made for kids. Stop listening to children's music, and the radio stations or cable channels that play it, and you'll be a happier person.
Old 11-14-11, 10:11 PM

I figured the thread bump was about her getting arrested for DUI or showing her vag getting out of a car. I just expect something...bad to happen.
Old 11-14-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
That's pretty clever.

I'm glad someone bumped this thread because I've been thinking about this song a lot lately. Sure it's bad, but it's no worse than a recent chart topper that is awful incarnate -- Moves Like Jagger

Blacks' song may be bad, but the corporate music scene is capable of far worse. She's a teenage girl who paid some company to write and record a bad song, no crime there. The people behind Moves Like Jagger have big money, top talent at their disposal, etc. yet that's the best they could come up with. They recorded a crime against music. Everyone wants to belittle this chick while powerful people in the music industry foisted this awful fucking piece of shit and it seems to be passing without comment.
+1

Moves Like Jagger is just as bad as "Friday", it's not even good enough to be on a Mick Jagger solo album

Friday is no worse than MLJ or the average Nickelback/Bieber/Adam Lambert song
Old 11-15-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you know Moves like jagger was done by a band right (a shitty one at that), ie this wasnt a big record label writing a shit song for a pop star.
Old 11-15-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
you know Moves like jagger was done by a band right (a shitty one at that), ie this wasnt a big record label writing a shit song for a pop star.
Maroon 5 are just as pop as Lady Gaga or Katy Perry at this point. Its no longer 2003 where they at least looked like they could be this cool alt-rock band with some soul influences (their first couple singles actually got some rock airplay). They've been a housewife pop band ever since "She Will Be Loved" and "Moves Like Jagger" only cements their place alongside Train, Nickelback and Daughtry amongst undersexed 40 year old women who don't get enough from the husband.
Old 11-15-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I figured the thread bump was about her getting arrested for DUI or showing her vag getting out of a car.
I'm sure that's on its way, followed by the obligatory sex tape, fame-whore reality show, TMZ coverage, etc., etc., etc.
Old 11-16-11, 11:35 AM

Maroon 5 are just as pop as Lady Gaga or Katy Perry at this point. Its no longer 2003 where they at least looked like they could be this cool alt-rock band with some soul influences (their first couple singles actually got some rock airplay). They've been a housewife pop band ever since "She Will Be Loved" and "Moves Like Jagger" only cements their place alongside Train, Nickelback and Daughtry amongst undersexed 40 year old women who don't get enough from the husband.
But, they were in a Sara Bareilles video, doesn't that automatically make them cool or give them indie cred or something.
Old 11-16-11, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
What's your point? With all their talent they wrote and recorded a song much worse than Friday. And the powerful music industry has foisted it on to radio and television and it's everywhere, and no one calls them out for it being shit. I feel bad for Rebecca Black, she (or her parents) spent a pittance to record a shit song, and everyone ripped her to pieces. Maroon 5's record company is spending millions to promote a far worse song. And no one makes fun of them. They deserve to be laughed off the stage.
Old 11-22-11, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mazje
I'm disappointed that none of the major retailers scooped her up to be the spokesperson/mascot for Black Friday this year.
Kohl's did it. I saw it just now in a TV ad. Who knew they lurked this forum.
Old 11-22-11, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think "Moves Like Jagger" is a great pop song.
Old 11-22-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Maroon 5 are just as pop as Lady Gaga or Katy Perry at this point. Its no longer 2003 where they at least looked like they could be this cool alt-rock band with some soul influences
No, they've been shitty since then.
Old 11-22-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Back on topic?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dMH6d4Adm9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-22-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What's your point? With all their talent they wrote and recorded a song much worse than Friday. And the powerful music industry has foisted it on to radio and television and it's everywhere, and no one calls them out for it being shit. I feel bad for Rebecca Black, she (or her parents) spent a pittance to record a shit song, and everyone ripped her to pieces. Maroon 5's record company is spending millions to promote a far worse song. And no one makes fun of them. They deserve to be laughed off the stage.
Too bad instead of "Moves like jagger" they didn't focus on "Song writing skills like Richards."

There, someone made fun of them. They really do suck.
Old 11-22-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Back on topic?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dMH6d4Adm9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Taking things from other people's carts on BF would get your ass stomped.
Old 11-22-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by achau9598
Taking things from other people's carts on BF would get your ass stomped.
Using a rebecca black song in your commercial would get your ass stomped if there were any justice in this world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.