Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Thin Lizzy Deluxe CD Editions out now

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox and Live and Dangerous are remastered and expanded with a second disc of BBC session recordings.
I'm in for Johnny the Fox and Jailbreak. Probably order them sometime this week. Hopefully more to come in the future.

Whoops.. I jumped the gun a bit. Johnny the Fox won't be out until 2/22, but Jailbreak is out now.

Last edited by JOE29; 02-08-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Thin Lizzy Deluxe CD Editions out now

The word on these re-issues is not good. These apparently are not new remasters (which were ready to go) but Japanese remasters from around 2002. Some bonus material is mislabeled or misrepresented. Caveat emptor...
Old 02-08-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The word on these re-issues is not good. These apparently are not new remasters (which were ready to go) but Japanese remasters from around 2002. Some bonus material is mislabeled or misrepresented. Caveat emptor...
Hmm... Maybe i'll have to wait until i get a few more reviews to buy these. Or until i can get them a bit cheaper. I was willing to pay $21-23 because i'm a fan of the band. But if these are going to be sub-par, i may have to wait for a price drop to check them out. Or if they're really bad, not at all. Thanks for the warning.
Old 02-08-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Check around. A few music forums I'm on have the hardcore fans mighty pissed. Others don't see a big deal. As always YMMV.
Old 02-09-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I've been saying for 15 years that the Thin Lizzy back catalog needs a good remastering. Great albums, mediocre mastering jobs.

If this release isn't a new remaster then it's a bit of a ripoff. I'd like to hear the remixes, though. I've always thought that Jailbreak was screwed up in the mix (the bass is way too low, and it was eq'd all midrangey - lacking in low end).

I could mix it better myself if I had the multi-track recordings...