Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year

This fucker will be mine!!!
Old 06-25-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year

Nirvana's 'Nevermind' Getting Deluxe Reissue

Nirvana's Nevermind turns 20 on September 24, and the band's label, Universal, is planning to celebrate the milestone anniversary of the landmark release with a bonus-packed reissue. The set will be a 4-CD/1-DVD package, featuring rarities, B-sides, and unreleased recordings. Also included are unspecified BBC radio appearances and an unreleased concert in its entirety on DVD. It hits stores on September 19.

During the band's seven-year run, Nirvana recorded only three studio albums; the 2004 box set With the Lights Out remains a definitive collection of rarities, b-sides, demos, and other ephemera. The BBC radio appearances, however, are most likely from four in-studio sessions recorded between 1989 and 1991. (Two of those recordings, for John Peel and Mark Goodier's radio shows, were included on the group's 1993 rarities LP Incesticide).

Two months after being released, Nevermind pushed the grunge revolution to the top of the album charts, and went on to sell 30 million copies worldwide. SPIN selected it as the greatest album of the 1990s.

Universal is also planning to celebrate the anniversary with "various events and releases" throughout the year, according to a statement.

http://www.spin.com/articles/nirvana...gn=spintwitter
Old 07-19-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, to bide your time until the reissue, you can download this.

Spin posts free Nirvana tribute album for download
by Kevin McFarland July 19, 2011

As September approaches, so does the inevitable march to recognize the 20th anniversary of Nirvana’s Nevermind. Spin is jumping the gun by a month, devoting its August issue to the landmark album and offering up a tribute album called Newermind.

The Vaselines and Meat Puppets, two of Cobain’s personal favorite bands that got the Nirvana bump after their songs were featured on MTV Unplugged, contributed covers of “Lithium” and “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” respectively. Titus Andronicus, Surfer Blood, JEFF the Brotherhood, and Amanda Palmer are also featured.

The album is available for free download by “liking” Spin’s Facebook page through July 25, after which it will be up on the magazine’s website. The full track list is below:

01 Meat Puppets: "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
02 Butch Walker & the Black Widows: "In Bloom"
03 Midnight Juggernauts: "Come as You Are"
04 Titus Andronicus: "Breed"
05 The Vaselines: "Lithium"
06 Amanda Palmer: "Polly"
07 Surfer Blood: "Territorial Pissings"
08 Foxy Shazam: "Drain You"
09 Jessica Lea Mayfield: "Lounge Act"
10 Charles Bradley and the Menahan Street Band: "Stay Away"
11 Telekinesis: "On a Plain"
12 JEFF the Brotherhood: "Something in the Way"
13 EMA: "Endless, Nameless"
http://www.avclub.com/articles/spin-...ownload,59152/

Spin's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SPIN?sk=app_203351739677351
Old 07-19-11, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Well, to bide your time until the reissue, you can download this.
Sweet, will DL'd and give a listen.
Old 07-20-11, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I downloaded and listened to that tonight. Some of it is good and some is just crap. That version of Come As You Are was fucking terrible. It sounded like the chipmunks on drugs or something. The Meat Puppets and The Vaselines were the highlights. The bands that did Something In the Way (JEFF the Brotherhood) and In Bloom (Butch Walker & the Black Widows) were pretty good too.
Old 07-21-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Nirvana destroyed everything that was awesome about music in the 80s, I'll always hate them for that.
Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I tend to agree. Glad somebody had the audacious balls to state publicly.
Nice to know someone agrees with me,
at least these guys are doing their best to keep hair metal alive.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 07-25-11 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-29-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Nevermind Deluxe Edition:
CD1
Original album
01 “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
02 “In Bloom”
03 “Come As You Are”
04 “Breed”
05 “Lithium”
06 “Polly”
07 “Territorial Pissings”
08 “Drain You”
09 “Lounge Act”
10 “Stay Away”
11 “On A Plain”
12 “Something In The Way”
The B-Sides
13 “Even In His Youth”
14 “Aneurysm”
15 “Curmudgeon”
16 “D-7″ (Live At The BBC)
17 “Been A Son” (Live)
18 “School” (Live)
19 “Drain You” (Live)
20 “Sliver” (Live)
21 “Polly” (Live)

CD2
The Smart Studio Sessions
01 “In Bloom” (previously unreleased)
02 “Immodium (Breed)” (previously unreleased)
03 “Lithium” (previously unreleased)
04 “Polly” (previously unreleased)
05 “Pay To Play”
06 “Here She Comes Now”
07 “Dive” (previously unreleased)
08 “Sappy” (previously unreleased)
The Boombox Rehearsals
09 “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
10 “Verse Chorus Verse” (previously unreleased)
11 “Territorial Pissings” (previously unreleased)
12 “Lounge Act” (previously unreleased)
13 “Come As You Are”
14 “Old Age” (previously unreleased)
15 “Something In The Way” (previously unreleased)
16 “On A Plain” (previously unreleased)
BBC Sessions
17 “Drain You” (previously unreleased)
18 “Something In The Way” (previously unreleased)

Nevermind Super Deluxe Edition:
CD1
Original album
02 “In Bloom”
03 “Come As You Are”
04 “Breed”
05 “Lithium”
06 “Polly”
07 “Territorial Pissings”
08 “Drain You”
09 “Lounge Act”
10 “Stay Away”
11 “On A Plain”
12 “Something In The Way”
The B-Sides
13 “Even In His Youth”
14 “Aneurysm”
15 “Curmudgeon”
16 “D-7″ (Live At The BBC)
17 “Been A Son” (Live)
18 “School” (Live)
19 “Drain You” (Live)
20 “Sliver” (Live)
21 “Polly” (Live)

CD2
The Smart Studio Sessions
01 “In Bloom” (previously unreleased)
02 “Immodium (Breed)” (previously unreleased)
03 “Lithium” (previously unreleased)
04 “Polly” (previously unreleased)
05 “Pay To Play”
06 “Here She Comes Now”
07 “Dive” (previously unreleased)
08 “Sappy” (previously unreleased)
The Boombox Rehearsals
09 “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
10 “Verse Chorus Verse” (previously unreleased)
11 “Territorial Pissings” (previously unreleased)
12 “Lounge Act” (previously unreleased)
13 “Come As You Are”
14 “Old Age” (previously unreleased)
15 “Something In The Way” (previously unreleased)
16 “On A Plain” (previously unreleased)
BBC Sessions
17 “Drain You” (previously unreleased)
18 “Something In The Way” (previously unreleased)

CD3
The Devonshire Mixes
02 “In Bloom”
03 “Come As You Are”
04 “Breed”
05 “Lithium”
06 “Territorial Pissings”
07 “Drain You”
08 “Lounge Act”
09 “Stay Away”
10 “On A Plain”
11 “Something In The Way”

CD4
Live At The Paramount Theatre
01 “Jesus Doesn’t Want Me For A Sunbeam”
02 “Aneurysm”
03 “Drain You”
04 “School”
05 “Floyd The Barber”
06 “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
07 “About A Girl”
08 “Polly”
09 “Breed”
10 “Sliver”
11 “Love Buzz”
12 “Lithium”
13 “Been A Son”
14 “Negative Creep”
15 “On A Plain”
16 “Blew”
17 “Rape Me”
18 “Territorial Pissings”
19 “Endless, Nameless”

DVD
Live At The Paramount Theatre
01 “Jesus Doesn’t Want Me For A Sunbeam”
02 “Aneurysm”
03 “Drain You”
04 “School”
05 “Floyd The Barber”
06 “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
07 “About A Girl”
08 “Polly”
09 “Breed”
10 “Sliver”
11 “Love Buzz”
12 “Lithium”
13 “Been A Son”
14 “Negative Creep”
15 “On A Plain”
16 “Blew”
17 “Rape Me”
18 “Territorial Pissings”
19 “Endless, Nameless”
Music Videos
02 “Come As You Are Music”
03 “Lithium”
04 “In Bloom”
Old 07-29-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NIRVANA: NEVERMIND 20TH ANNIVERSARY TO BE COMMEMORATED WITH MULTI-FORMAT REISSUE OUT SEPTEMBER 27

Deluxe and Super Deluxe Editions to Feature Dozens of Rare and Previously Unreleased Performances

Released in September 1991, Nirvana's sophomore album and major label debut elevated Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl from a critically acclaimed Aberdeen, Washington, cult band to generational spokesmen who'd unwittingly created a cultural shift and musical touchstone. Rising to No. 1 the world over by year's end and ultimately selling over 30 million copies worldwide, Nevermind would come to be much more than one of the most successful and influential albums of its or any era. As the album that returned unaffected rock ’n’ roll integrity and passion to the top of the charts, Nevermind would prove a singular inspiration to fans and musicians alike over the last two decades--and will undoubtedly do so for generations to come.

Now on the occasion of Nevermind's 20th anniversary, Universal Music Enterprises presents a full spectrum re-release worthy of such a pivotal classic. With configurations ranging from a 4-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe Edition to a standard digital/CD remaster of the original album, the 20th anniversary reissue of Nevermind makes the most of the occasion, unearthing literally dozens of previously unreleased recordings, obscure B-sides, alternate mixes, radio sessions, studio rarities and live recordings, including a 1991 Halloween concert at Seattle's Paramount Theatre in its entirety.

The limited, numbered Super Deluxe Edition more than lives up to its name as one of the most expansive and ambitious collections of its kind with only 10,000 copies available in North America, and another 30,000 for the rest of the world. The Super Deluxe features not only the original remastered album and accompanying studio and live B-sides, but the first full official release of the pre-Nevermind demos recorded at producer Butch Vig's Smart Studios, as well as boombox recordings of subsequent rehearsals through which the listener can actually experience "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Come As You Are," "On A Plain" and others that take shape before his or her very ears. The Super Deluxe also offers an altogether new perspective on the finished Nevermind album exclusive to this format in the form of the Devonshire Mixes: the album as produced and mixed by Vig as opposed to the commercially released final version produced by Vig and mixed by Andy Wallace. Rounding out the Super Deluxe are a pair of previously unreleased BBC recordings and the aforementioned 1991 Paramount show available for the first time and exclusive to this format on CD and DVD (which also features all four music videos from Nevermind), as well as a stunning 90-page bound book full of rarely and never- before-seen photos, documents and various other visual artifacts of the Nevermind era.

The Nirvana Nevermind 20th anniversary reissue is also available as a 2-CD Deluxe Edition featuring the remastered album and B-sides, the Smart Studio sessions, boombox rehearsals and BBC sessions, a 4-LP, 180-gram heavyweight vinyl edition featuring the same 40 tracks as the Deluxe Edition, a remastered CD of the original album, and digital versions of the standard and deluxe editions. The Paramount concert, transferred from 16mm film and multi-track audio, is the only known Nirvana concert shot to film and will be available in a 1080p high-definition picture and uncompressed 5.1 surround sound and stereo on stand-alone Blu-ray, along with DVD and digital long form video formats.

NIRVANA.com
Old 07-29-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want the super deluxe edition.

Is it too early to want an IN UTERO super deluxe edition version also?
Old 07-29-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing I hate about those uberdeluxe sets is the price tag. We're in a major recession, but above that, album sales have declined so badly and with piracy so rampant, there's no real excuse for $150-200 box sets devoted to one and only one album. There are a dozen or so of those uber-sets I'd love to have (Bowie, McCartney, Springsteen, Stones, George Michael, etc...) but to hell am I paying that ridiculous amount of $$$ for something. $50-75 would still make these people a profit but they want $100-200 and that stuff is way too costly for most fans. Especially since they're doing these box sets for every McCartney album.
Old 07-29-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depending on the cost I'd love to have the vinyl version. Otherwise if it's too expensive I'll just get the 5 disc CD set.
Old 07-30-11, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nothingfails
The thing I hate about those uberdeluxe sets is the price tag. We're in a major recession, but above that, album sales have declined so badly and with piracy so rampant, there's no real excuse for $150-200 box sets devoted to one and only one album. There are a dozen or so of those uber-sets I'd love to have (Bowie, McCartney, Springsteen, Stones, George Michael, etc...) but to hell am I paying that ridiculous amount of $$$ for something. $50-75 would still make these people a profit but they want $100-200 and that stuff is way too costly for most fans. Especially since they're doing these box sets for every McCartney album.
... and especially when only 10k will be available ova here... fuck!

So that's 2 worries for me, price & availability.
Old 07-30-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the super deluxe comes with the DVD, but there will be a stand-alone blu-ray?

skipping the deluxe version. buying the blu-ray and vinyl. downloading all the deluxe bonus shit. I know it comes with a download code, but I will want it in lossless, so i'll have to find it myself.

edit: pending word on the remaster
Old 07-30-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Yeah, it annoys to me no end when they include "unreleased, never before heard" demos, which, let's face it, are basically old tapes someone found in a shoebox on a shelf in a garage, and charge a premium price for them.

Fuck you, music industry.
Old 07-30-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, it annoys to me no end when they include "unreleased, never before heard" demos, which, let's face it, are basically old tapes someone found in a shoebox on a shelf in a garage, and charge a premium price for them.

Fuck you, music industry.
I love that they try to use the coffee table book to why they're charging over $100. I have plenty of music coffee table books, they usually retail around $25-40... not quite enough to upgrade it to $150. The Nevermind set looks really nice, and if it sold around $50 (which still would make the labels a profit), I could find that justifiable and maybe get it.
Old 07-30-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why are people bitching about the price when only the 2 disc version is even up for pre-order?
Old 07-30-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Why are people bitching about the price when only the 2 disc version is even up for pre-order?
because we've seen and know what the record labels charge for those uber-deluxe editions of box sets? How? This This, This, This, This and there are about 20 others that have been released of late with similar price tags.
Old 07-30-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All of those sets (with exception to the Springsteen set) are multiple CD/DVD/LP sets though. In a lot of those cases I'd bet that the LP is what drives the cost up or in the case of the Springsteen set that it had 3 Blu-ray's. In this case it's 4 CD's and 1 DVD so I don't think it should be too outrageously priced. If I had to guess it'll probably more in the range of the With The Lights Out box set which only has one less disc than this set. Then again this is Nirvana and so they can basically slap any price tag on it they want and people will buy it.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-30-11 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
All of those sets (with exception to the Springsteen set) are multiple CD/DVD/LP sets though. In a lot of those cases I'd bet that the LP is what drives the cost up or in the case of the Springsteen set that it had 3 Blu-ray's. In this case it's 4 CD's and 1 DVD so I don't think it should be too outrageously priced. If I had to guess it'll probably more in the range of the With The Lights Out box set which only has one less disc than this set. Then again this is Nirvana and so they can basically slap any price tag on it they want and people will buy it.
Even the Paul McCartney ones are just two cd's and a DVD yet they want $100 for a coffee table book that alone would retail for $40 or less.

Someone on Amazon did the math regarding the Exile set. You can get the standard 2-CD edition of the album, the vinyl reissue and the Stones In Exile DVD alltogether for about $65... yet the box set is more than double that just for some postcards and a book (which would retail for under $50 anyways). The Nirvana set will be at least $100 from Universal's past track records.

I think again its jaded record companies thinking that they can make money they're losing from normal cd sales by sticking it to diehard fans. Bowie is my #3 artist and Station To Station is my favorite album in his discography, but while I would've bought the box set on day one had it been in the $50 range, to hell am I spending $150+ on six songs, even if there are four or five mixes of them.
Old 08-01-11, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow hard to believe it was 20 years ago that a junkie heroin addict from Seattle killed the popularity of all the awesome hair bands in America instead of himself.
Old 08-01-11, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Howie2000
Wow hard to believe it was 20 years ago that a junkie heroin addict from Seattle killed the popularity of all the awesome hair bands in America instead of himself.
Ugh, its funny people still harbor such hatred for Nirvana over that. Decades and eras have to end eventually... If Nirvana didn't kill off hair metal, someone else would've. Like it or not, Nevermind was better than what Warrant, Poison, Winger and the sort were having to offer at the time. Hell, I love Def Leppard's 80s stuff, but compare the tired watered down pop music of Adrenalize to the new outlooks that went into "Nevermind" and "Ten" and it explains why people found grunge a breath of fresh air. Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Ozzy were all still huge in 1992-1993 because they were still making good music at the time, so I don't buy that Nirvana killed ALL the hair bands... they just brought something new to the forefront.

Anyhoo, Limp Bizkit killed the alternative bands off the way grunge killed off hair metal. Give me Nirvana and their ilk to the crap that Limp Bizkit ushered in... they killed rock radio and its just now in 2011 that rock playlists are even starting to be decent again because they (and Kid Rock, Korn, Nickelback, etc...) made everything bland cock rock and took anything interesting away from what mainstream rock cared about.
Old 08-01-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Ugh, its funny people still harbor such hatred for Nirvana over that. Decades and eras have to end eventually... If Nirvana didn't kill off hair metal, someone else would've. Like it or not, Nevermind was better than what Warrant, Poison, Winger and the sort were having to offer at the time. Hell, I love Def Leppard's 80s stuff, but compare the tired watered down pop music of Adrenalize to the new outlooks that went into "Nevermind" and "Ten" and it explains why people found grunge a breath of fresh air. Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Ozzy were all still huge in 1992-1993 because they were still making good music at the time, so I don't buy that Nirvana killed ALL the hair bands... they just brought something new to the forefront.
Great reply to an asinine post that didn't deserve a response.
Old 08-01-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Yes, it's Kurt Cobain's that fault that Britney Fox didn't have a three decade career and rival the Rolling Stones in popularity and influence.
Old 08-01-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Wait, is someone actually sad about the death of hair metal?

For shame.
Old 08-01-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000
Wow I didn't know Howie2000 was CC Deville!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.