Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen New Album

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Van Halen New Album

Album is way better than it has any business being - Tattoo is a totally weak single and not representative of the record at all. At least it gets out of the way early, because it's vintage VH all the way through the rest.

Roth's voice sounds a little weak at points, but it's still a very strong record. You don't hear riffs like that very much anymore.
Old 02-03-12, 09:38 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Heard "Blood and Fire" on the radio last night.
Old 02-03-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Album is way better than it has any business being - Tattoo is a totally weak single and not representative of the record at all. At least it gets out of the way early, because it's vintage VH all the way through the rest.

Roth's voice sounds a little weak at points, but it's still a very strong record. You don't hear riffs like that very much anymore.
Totally agree. After hearing Tattoo initially I thought this is going to be a tough one to like. Now, Tattoo has grown on me and listening to the rest of the album I think Tattoo is the weakest song. Being a Sam and Dave fan I have to say I'm happy about the quality on the new cd.
Old 02-06-12, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I listened to the whole album once. That's it for me.

This is why these reunions are never usually a good idea.
Old 02-06-12, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm agreeing with everyone. Album is very good. Even Tatoo grew on me and I hated it when it first came out.
Old 02-06-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Noticably missing from the new album: Michael Anthony's distinctive background vocals, and even though Dave is back, I never once heard his trademark scream. Just hearing that once would have given this album a total retro experience. The songs are pretty good, and definitely have an old-time Van Halen feel to them. It's a pity it took them so long to come out of their coma after the Cherone outing.
Old 02-06-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Listened once all the way through, really good. Much better than I was expecting. I have a ticket to see them in June, and might be at a private show this week. I WILL be bringing my camera.
Old 02-06-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Opening Act Kool and the Gang 2011

Kool and the Gang 2011!? Is that because I don't recognize any of the original members?
Old 02-06-12, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the album. Tattoo was not a good choice for the first single. I woulda picked Outta Space. Other good tracks include: China Town, As Is and Stay Frosty.
Old 02-06-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Noticably missing from the new album: Michael Anthony's distinctive background vocals, and even though Dave is back, I never once heard his trademark scream. Just hearing that once would have given this album a total retro experience. The songs are pretty good, and definitely have an old-time Van Halen feel to them. It's a pity it took them so long to come out of their coma after the Cherone outing.
There is no trademark scream anymore. Whatever upper range Dave had is gone.
Old 02-06-12, 09:19 PM

He screams plenty on this album.
Old 02-07-12, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

So what is the deluxe addition including?
Old 02-07-12, 08:24 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

^ Includes a DVD with acoustic performances of 3 tracks from "The Downtown Sessions" (not sure what the tracks are).
Old 02-07-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Panama
You and Your Blues (Intro)
You and Your Blues
Beautiful Girls.
Old 02-07-12, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
^ Includes a DVD with acoustic performances of 3 tracks from "The Downtown Sessions" (not sure what the tracks are).
Panama, You and Your Blues, and Beautiful Girls.

I just got done watching it and though it was decent. It was amusing to listen to Dave's banter as usual. I have a feeling he's gonna screw up this reunion with his mouth again though. Eddie didn't seem to thrilled with a few of his comments in the performance. But, overall, it was a nice little bonus (albeit, for $4 extra!)
Old 02-07-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
Panama, You and Your Blues, and Beautiful Girls.

I just got done watching it and though it was decent. It was amusing to listen to Dave's banter as usual. I have a feeling he's gonna screw up this reunion with his mouth again though. Eddie didn't seem to thrilled with a few of his comments in the performance. But, overall, it was a nice little bonus (albeit, for $4 extra!)
Eddie always has that slightly irritated look when Dave speaks. But I think he's learned to tolerate him in his middle age. I seriously doubt he's going to jetison the most lucrative tour of his career because Dave's a little goofy and flamboyant.
Old 02-07-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While "Tattoo" is definitely the weakest track on the album, the album itself is actually fun. It captures some of the essence that made their first 4 albums so good, likely because these songs were all culled from that era. It could have been far worse (like, if Eddie had written new songs).
Old 02-07-12, 07:01 PM

This is aggressive and heavy album, I like it.
Old 02-08-12, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This album is ticking me off. 27 wasted years since "1984". I'm totally digging this new material. Never expected to enjoy something new after all that terrible Hagar stuff.
Old 02-08-12, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

After a few run-throughs, I can easily say that this album is a motherfucker. Save for Tattoo and The Trouble With Never, all the songs are spot on. As above, it makes you wonder what could have been the last 27 years.
Old 02-08-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
It was amusing to listen to Dave's banter as usual. I have a feeling he's gonna screw up this reunion with his mouth again though. Eddie didn't seem to thrilled with a few of his comments in the performance.
If that was the case, then this album would have never gotten made - as the reunion started five years ago when Roth first rejoined the band. If they could make it through two successful years of touring then without imploding, I think they'll manage just fine now.
Old 02-08-12, 06:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys like the new album? I think it's horrible. Eddie's scraping around for hooks and mostly not finding them. Dave appears to be choosing lyrics seemingly at random. If you told me he wrote all the lyrics for this album while having a stroke I would absolutely believe it. "Stay Frosty" would be decent if it weren't an obvious attempt at recapturing the feel of "Ice Cream Man" and failing, and again featuring some awful lyrics. The absolute nicest thing I can say about this album is that I will forget it very quickly.
Old 02-09-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

At least half the album, and probably more, is made up of old VH songs from 1970's demos.

Tattoo is Down In Flames
Outta Space is Let's Get Rockin'
Beats Workin is Put Out The Lights
She's The Woman is, well, the same song with different verse lyrics.
Bullethead retains it's original title
Big River is Big Trouble

I know at least one or two others are based on old demos.

Let's Get Rockin' is actually my favorite VH song ever - has been ever since I first heard it a couple years ago...

<object width="400" height="301"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVWneDWAqa0?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVWneDWAqa0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="301" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The more I listen to the new album the more I like it. Musically, it's one of the best albums they've ever done. The vocal melodies and chorus hooks are either pretty darned good or just OK. Nothing classic, but nothing that brings the album down much, either - and the old VH attitude is back!

I would have been happier had they stuck to the original lyrics and vocal melodies on those songs, but the new versions are almost as good.

Last edited by B5Erik; 02-09-12 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 12:45 AM

I was pretty skeptical after hearing Tattoo. I almost skipped the album. But I've been waiting for this for too long to ignore it when it was finally released.

Well, I've finally run through it twice and I have to say, it's AWESOME! I felt like I was in highschool again. I absolutely love that they went back to their old sound. In my opinion, these guys just blew away every rock band out there today (sad really).

My only gripe is that some of the lyrics are pretty lame. But I've never listened to Van Halen for the lyrics. Eddie's playing and just the sound of this album are unbelievable. Strangely, I didn't miss Michael Anthony at all.

At first, I too was pissed that they wasted 28 years. But I've let it go. I'm just ecstatic right now.

Dave better not fuck this up. I really want to see what the next album (presumably new material) will be like.
Old 02-09-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Just back from a "Dress Rehearsal" for Friends and Family at the Forum, here in L.A. They were great! New songs sounded terrific, and Dave forgot a couple lyrics to China Town. Eddie and Wolfie handled background vocals fine.

Transfering all my video now (I got the whole thing) and uploading the opener "You Really Got Me" right now...

Here is the setlist, hope their regular shows are a little longer...

You Really Got Me
Running with the Devil
She's the Woman (new tune)
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Tattoo (new tune)
Everybody Wants Some
Beautiful Girls
Ice Cream Man
Chinatown
Dance the Night Away
Hot For Teacher
Blood and Fire (new tune)
Eruption
Panama
Jump

Last edited by Chrisedge; 02-09-12 at 02:02 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.