Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Random Metal Re-visit Flotsam "Cuatro"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd give this a try and if it works, I'll post something new each week. I have been digging into my old school metal piles recently and really appreciating some of the what I would consider "classic" metal albums of the past. Notice I called them "albums" because I had most of them on vinyl before I upgraded to cd. My taste generally leans to thrash, but I also have found myself picking some more mainstream early eighties stuff. I am going to start with Flotsam and Jetsam's "Cuatro" from 1992. Here are a couple videos to get you started.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMHdJXHvzTc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMHdJXHvzTc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jma5l70yBd4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jma5l70yBd4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

1. "Natural Enemies" – 3:35
2. "Swatting At Flies" – 4:03
3. "The Message" – 4:32 (Carlson, Knutson, Ward, Smith, Gilbert, Cornell)
4. "Cradle Me Now" – 4:04 (Carlson, Knutson, Ward, Smith, Gilbert)
5. "Wading Through The Darkness" – 6:06
6. "Double Zero" – 4:43
7. "Never To Reveal" – 4:16
8. "Forget About Heaven" – 4:47
9. "Secret Square" – 5:21
10. "Hypodermic Midnight Snack" – 3:46
11. "Are You Willing" – 4:00
12. "(Ain't Nothing Gonna) Save This World" – 3:45

I found Cuatro to be a really diverse album with solid production and not a dud to be found. I'm going to leave the responses to this thread wide open for reviews, comparisons, debates, etc. Whatever comes to mind. Even experiences seeing them perform on the tour would be welcome. I'm more or less using this thread as an excuse to highlight some of my favorite albums in the hopes that other people will discover/appreciate them as much as I do. Have fun!
Old 01-14-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Random Metal Re-visit Flotsam "Cuatro"

Great record. I took this as their stab at the mainstream after they saw how Metallica did with the Black album. Produced by Neil Kernon who can always be counted on to make a great sounding metal record.

My second favorite Flots record behind When The Storm Comes Down.
Old 01-14-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Great record. I took this as their stab at the mainstream after they saw how Metallica did with the Black album. Produced by Neil Kernon who can always be counted on to make a great sounding metal record.

My second favorite Flots record behind When The Storm Comes Down.
I couldn't agree more that Kernon's approach is top notch. What I think is great about the record too is that it is definitely more accessible musically and vocally, but it still has the Flotsam sound and some really powerful songs. There are great hooks and guitar work without compromising their style.

It is also funny that you mentioned WTSCD because I just listened to that in the car today also. I am a big fan of that one too, but Erik's vocals seem rougher than No Place or Cuatro. A lot of people seem to think that WTSCD was a poorly produced album. I think it sounds way thinner, but I think the sound is just different, not weak, if that makes sense. One of the things I loved about the band during this era was how the albums really mixed it up well. A lot of bands in this genre tended to put out albums with very little variation, which can be good and bad. You knew what to expect, but it just felt monotonous at times. For that reason, I feel Flotsam never got the respect they deserved.
Old 01-15-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

My college roommates had a radio show so I got to listen to an advance copy of Cuatro:  as a Flotsam and Jetsam fan I found WTSCD to be lacking in production, especially the sound of the drums, so this album was a welcome departure for me. As previously mentioned this album is full of great guitar work and hooks along with catchy choruses to sing along with Eric A.K. "Secret Square" is probably my favorite track on this album -- Jason Ward's bass playing really sets the mood from start of the song. "Are You Willing" always struck me as filler on an otherwise solid effort by Flotsam and Jetsam.

I still have a promotional VHS video for "Wading Through the Darkness." It has the following instructions on the box:
1. Turn on VCR
2. Turn on television
3. Turn on stereo to appropriate setting
4. Insert video into VCR
5. Turn stereo volume up to eleven
6. Push play on VCR
7. Approximately 1 minute into video, start adjusting the brightness knob on television
8. Discover hidden interactive images

Call MTV (1-800-DIAL-MTV) and request the video now!
This is the cut sheet included with the video:
While we know this band doesn't need an introduction, we feel there are some things you just need to know -- so here goes:

FLOTSAM AND JETSAM HAVE JUST RELEASED THEIR NEW ONE!

CUATRO

Cuatro contains 12 new tracks written by the band with a little help from some friends, four of which you will (hopefully) be listening to thanks to the limited cassette you're now holding in your hot little hands.

Guitarists Ed Carlson and Mike Gilbert, vocalist Eric A.K., drummer Kelly Smith and new bassist Jason Ward are back to abuse your senses and assault your earlobes.

Produced, recorded and mixed by Neil Kernon who's worked with everyone from Queensryche and Queen to Peter Gabriel and Hall & Oates.

Please note: Whether you're already part of the Flotsam Force or interested in getting updates on the band, please make sure you send a SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE TO:

FLOTSAM AND JETSAM
P.O. Box 27399, Phoenix, AZ 85061