DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Michael Jackson - Michael (12/14/2010) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/583096-michael-jackson-michael-12-14-2010-a.html)

Tarantino 12-06-10 02:04 PM

Michael Jackson - Michael (12/14/2010)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...6L._SS500_.jpg

01. Hold My Hand (Duet With Akon) (Produced By Akon And Giorgio Tuinfort) 3:33
02. Hollywood Tonight (Produced By Teddy Riley, Michael Jackson And Neff-U) 4:31
03. Keep Your Head Up (Produced By Tricky) 4:51
04. (I Like) The Way You Love Me (Produced By Neff-U) 4:34
05. Monster Ft. 50 Cent (Produced By Teddy Riley, Angelikson And Michael Jackson) 5:06
06. Best Of Joy (Produced By Neff-U And Michael Jackson) 3:03
07. Breaking News (Produced By Teddy Riley, Angelikson And Michael Jackson) 4:14
08. (I Can’t Make It) Another Day Ft. Lenny Kravitz (Produced By Lenny Kravitz) 3:55
09. Behind The Mask (Produced Michael Jackson And John McClain) 5:02
10. Much Too Soon (Produced Michael Jackson And John McClain) 2:48

More info on the album from Wikipedia.

This leaked today, but I have yet to listen to it. NME said it was 'kind of enjoyable'.

big whoppa 12-06-10 02:34 PM

Re: Michael Jackson - Michael (12/14/2010)

I've only heard "Hold My Hand." Just nothing special. Didn't get radio airplay either.

Decker 12-06-10 04:11 PM

Already a thread here on the album:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...-december.html

Mikael79 12-06-10 04:22 PM

The album title instantly makes me think of Martin Lawrence's bit about Michael Jackson. I've never been a huge fan of his comedy, but that track makes me laugh every time.

"Michael from Good Times, mother#$*& - Michael who?"

DRG 12-07-10 08:46 AM

Despite the fact it's put together a bit haphazardly, I actually enjoy this more than Invincible, simply because it's more fun and less 'one-note' than that album was. Sure, it's inconsistent and nothing here comes close to his Off the Wall/Thriller/Bad highs highs, but for a posthumous release from an artist who hasn't put out an album of new material since 2001, it's much better than I expected it to be.

Mike86 12-07-10 10:29 AM

While this is an obvious cash grab I'll likely pick this up just to hear what its like. I don't really have big expectations or anything though.

Throwing Copper 12-07-10 12:49 PM

As much as Michael Jackson recorded, I find it hard to believe that this is the best they could come up with.

I have a feeling there are probably enough good tracks left to make a good, solid album, but this certainly isn't it.

They are probably saving some of his best unreleased stuff to sprinkle out gradually over the course of several records.

Dan 08-24-18 09:19 AM

:banana: bump! :banana:

Sony Confesses to Releasing Fake Michael Jackson Music
https://www.spin.com/2018/08/sony-co...jackson-music/

In 2010, several songs were released that were said to be recorded by the late Michael Jackson. Four years later, one fan questioned the music’s validity, leading many to believe the music was fraudulent. Now, nearly three years after the scandal, Sony Music Entertainment has admitted to releasing and selling fake tunes by the late legend.

The fake songs reportedly appeared on the 2010 posthumous album Michael. The songs in question include: “Monster,” “Keep Your Head Up,” and “Breaking News.” In court documents obtained by Karen Civil, Vera Servoa – the fan who kickstarted the investigation into the fake MJ songs – filed a civil suit, accusing Jackson’s longtime friends Eddie Cascio, James Victor Porte, and his production company, Angelikson Productions LLC of creating and selling music through Sony and the Jackson estate.

Cascio and Porte initially claimed that the songs were recorded in Cascio’s basement in 2007. Serova and the Jackson family, contested those claims however. While the singles sounded similar to MJ’s sound, they said Michael never recorded them. Serova testified in the Los Angeles Superior Court that they were recorded by an impersonator named Jason Malachi.

Consequently, Sony Music Entertainment conceded in court, that it had released fake singles. It’s unclear if fans or Jackson’s estate will be awarded for the criminal behavior or whether there will be an monetary punishment for Sony.
Apparently their justification is along the lines of "We have the right to release whatever we want under the Michael Jackson brand, even if he didn't sing the songs."

MANBREASTS 08-24-18 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13394699)
:banana: bump! :banana:

Sony Confesses to Releasing Fake Michael Jackson Music
https://www.spin.com/2018/08/sony-co...jackson-music/

Apparently their justification is along the lines of "We have the right to release whatever we want under the Michael Jackson brand, even if he didn't sing the songs."

I don't have a problem with this. As long as it sounds as close as possible to Michael.

Decker 08-24-18 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MANBREASTS (Post 13394718)
I don't have a problem with this. As long as it sounds as close as possible to Michael.

You don't have a problem with a record company lying and posthumously expanding a legendary artist's catalog with music he didn't record? Because I sure do.
Hell, I still have an issue with "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" being called Beatles songs, and I've seen the recording sessions.

JeremyM 08-25-18 07:07 AM

Yeah, that's sickening. I think Sony was duped as well, but for some reason seems to be trying to justify it now.

JeremyM 08-25-18 07:11 AM

I guess I should have read the article first--a correction was issued.

Correction: The following post states that lawyers for Sony Music admitted in court that vocals on three songs from Michael Jackson’s posthumous 2010 album were recorded by an impostor. Based on reports from multiple people apparently in attendance at a hearing this week, the concession by Sony Music’s attorney that the vocals were not Jackson’s was instead made hypothetically, as part of a narrow legal argument that even if the vocals were not Jackson’s, the First Amendment would still protect Sony Music’s right to sell and market the album as such. Sony Music provided the following statement to Variety:

“No one has conceded that Michael Jackson did not sing on the songs. The hearing Tuesday was about whether the First Amendment protects Sony Music and the Estate and there has been no ruling on the issue of whose voice is on the recordings.”

I personally do not believe that Sony would have consciously sold fake Michael Jackson songs, particularly on the first release of what was to be a long-term, expensive deal. Whether those three songs are legit or not, I don't know. It sounds like him to me, but what do I know? I'm still not sure if it was him singing the "Happy Birthday, Lisa" song on The Simpsons, and neither do the producers of The Simpsons, unless they're being coy.

Coral 08-25-18 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyM (Post 13395353)
I personally do not believe that Sony would have consciously sold fake Michael Jackson songs, particularly on the first release of what was to be a long-term, expensive deal.

I wouldn't put anything past Sony. They have a history of shady business practices.