Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2's 'Spider-Man' Musical Spins Tangled Web of Disaster at First Preview

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2's 'Spider-Man' Musical Spins Tangled Web of Disaster at First Preview

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts
Re: U2's 'Spider-Man' Musical Spins Tangled Web of Disaster at First Preview

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I like U2, and I've been a comics fan for 40 years, so I like Spider-Man, too.

But I have sub-zero interest in seeing this or hearing the soundtrack. No curiosity whatsoever; in fact, I'm trying to not hear it. That's how apalling I'm certain it will be. It can only lessen my opinions of both U2 and Spider-Man comics/movies/multimedia.

After reading all these recent reports about how abyssmal it is, I'm guessing that I made the best decision.
Good thing you checked this thread, then - I'm sure it'll aid you in your quest to actively avoid this matter.
Old 11-30-10, 08:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It costs $1 million a week to keep the show going? Jesucristo...
that's just insane...
Old 11-30-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

I'd rather shove red hot pokers in my eyes and take it up the ass from a syphilitic horse than see Across The Universe again, but that's just me.
Funny... I feel exactly the same when it comes to U2's post-'91 output!
Old 11-30-10, 09:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make that post-93 and I'd probably agree with you (I love Zooropa).
Old 11-30-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Funny... I feel exactly the same when it comes to U2's post-'91 output!
I'm with ya, sister!
Old 12-02-10, 05:15 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I hadn't heard about this before 60 minutes, but I did scoff when I heard the story. It's like someone watched the Hold Me, Kiss, Me, Thrill Me video and decided they should do the same thing BUT WITH Spiderman AND LIVE ON STAGE!

The biggest mistake was hiring Bono/Edge. I like U2, but it's better to hire some unknown song writer with a fire in his belly than pay top dollar for U2's b-sides and cast offs.

Also, #1 sign of a stinker is the horible title "Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark" WTF does that mean? That's a terrible title.
Old 12-03-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, man. I watched the 60 Min segment yesterday.... cripes, does this look like all kinds of terrible. The songs were astoundingly bad, and all the stage antics and goofy masks looked lame. Plus, Bono and Taymor created a villain? I don't even want to know how stupid it is, because I know it has to be retarded. I'd only ever want to watch this as some oddity to laugh and recoil in horror at.
Old 12-03-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It's like someone watched the Hold Me, Kiss, Me, Thrill Me video ....
I agree the one song I've heard all the way through sounds just like HMTMKMKM.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRyZN_16agk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRyZN_16agk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-03-10, 12:16 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Minus the music, this sounds like something that should be an hourly stage show at Universal Islands of Adventures, not a Broadway show and especially not a musical. If they wanted to do a musical based on a Marvel property maybe they should have went with Dazzler.
Old 12-03-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now the actress playing "Arachne" has a concussion!

http://broadwayworld.com/article/SPI...esday_20101202

If I was an actor in this, I'd be fearing for my life at this point. I wonder if it will even open "officially."
Old 12-04-10, 02:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure they must have done a tapeing of the show so they could sell it on video.
Old 12-04-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I'm sure they must have taped of a bunch of shows so they could edited them all into one complete show without any accidents to sell it on video.
Fixed
Old 12-04-10, 11:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they could package a DVD of just the accidents as market it as Spider-Man Bloopers? I imagine the Benny Hill theme playing as we watch the characters fly around on wires, with 'boing' noises as they collide, or 'banana peel slip' sounds when they fall on stage.
Old 12-04-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A review from a couple nights after preview from a U2 fan.

They only had to stop the show once tonight, for less than five minutes. Spiderman was dangling

The set was absolutely amazing. I can see why it was so expensive. And all the flying was really well done. They were zooming all over the threatre, pretty fast too. There was an airborne fight scene which was awesome.

Most of the songs were unmistakeably U2-ey. There were several songs besides BFFTS who's lyrics were soooo quintessential Bono

They played Vertigo at the beginning of one scene and I wasn't the only one I could hear singing along There were a few other references thrown in too, which was cute.

I think this thing is really going to take off. Compared to what I read of the first night, they seem to really be getting it under control, and the theatre was completely full at least in the section where I was.

I'm glad I got to see it...a perk of living in New York
Old 12-04-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of the songs were unmistakeably U2-ey. There were several songs besides BFFTS who's lyrics were soooo quintessential Bono

This sentence alone is enough to prove this is a fanboy that I really can't trust to be reliable.
Old 12-04-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Where can I just hear the music?
Old 12-04-10, 10:35 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Conan O'Brien has had two pretty funny spoofs on the Spider-Man musical this week. Bummer the freeze frames on the vids give away the funny ending reveals.

First:
<object width='442' height='375' classid='clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' id='ep'><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/teamcoco_432x243_embed.swf?context=teamcoco_embed_offsite&videoId=236293' /><param name='bgcolor' 'value='#000000' /><embed src='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/teamcoco_432x243_embed.swf?context=teamcoco_embed_offsite&videoId=236293' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' bgcolor='#000000' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' width='442' height='375'></embed></object>

Second:
<object width='442' height='375' classid='clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' id='ep'><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/teamcoco_432x243_embed.swf?context=teamcoco_embed_offsite&videoId=236634' /><param name='bgcolor' 'value='#000000' /><embed src='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/teamcoco_432x243_embed.swf?context=teamcoco_embed_offsite&videoId=236634' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' bgcolor='#000000' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' width='442' height='375'></embed></object>
Old 12-21-10, 09:29 AM

more show problems:

Broadway 'Spider-Man' stunt double falls to stage
Dec. 21, 2010, 9:25 AM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- The troubled Broadway musical "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" was plagued by its fourth accident since it began previews last month when an actor performing an aerial stunt fell about 30 feet, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called to the Foxwoods Theatre at about 10:45 p.m. Monday after the 31-year-old actor fell near the end of the latest preview performance. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital with minor injuries, police said.

Bing: 'Spider-Man' Broadway show woes

Police did not release the actor's name, but a performer in the show identified him as Christopher Tierney. The performer spoke on condition of anonymity because the performer was not authorized to speak publicly about the accident.

A nurse at Bellevue Hospital said that a Christopher Tierney was admitted and was in stable condition, but would not provide details.

Tierney is the show's main aerialist and performs stunts for the roles of Spider-Man, and the villains Meeks and Kraven.

The cable to Tierney's harness snapped during a scene in which Spider-Man rescues his love interest, Mary Jane, the performer said. It was unclear if Tierney was properly harnessed when the cable snapped. The performer said the show's actors are responsible for hooking themselves up to harnesses used for aerial stunts.

Actress Natalie Mendoza, who plays Spider-Man's evil love interest Arachne and herself was injured during the show's first preview last month, posted a Twitter message asking people to pray for the actor.

"Please pray with me for my friend Chris, my superhero who quietly inspires me everyday with his spirit. A light in my heart went dim tonight."

Tierney fell during a scene in which Spider-Man rescues his love interest, Mary Jane, but managed to land on his feet, the performer said. It was unclear if the actor was properly harnessed before the accident.

Rick Miramontez, a spokesman for the production, said the fall happened about seven minutes before the end of the performance, and the show was stopped.

"All signs were good as he was taken to the hospital for observation," Miramontez said.

On Friday, the show's lead producer Michael Cohl delayed the show's official opening for the second time, pushing it back 27 days, from Jan. 11 to Feb. 7.

In a statement that day, Cohl said, "The creative team is implementing truly exciting changes throughout the preview process. Due to some unforeseeable setbacks, most notably the injury of a principal cast member, it has become clear that we need to give the team more time to fully execute their vision."

The $65 million musical was conceived by Tony Award-winning director and co-writer Julie Taymor and U2's Bono and The Edge, who wrote the music. More than eight years in the making, delays and money woes have plagued the show's launch. Three other accidents have injured actors, including one who had both his wrists broken while practicing an aerial stunt.

The first preview on Nov. 28 did not go well. The musical had to be halted five times because of technical glitches and Mendoza was hit in the head by a rope and suffered a concussion. Her injury would eventually keep her sidelined for two weeks.

The show — whose costs easily dwarf Broadway's last costliest show, the $25 million "Shrek The Musical" — may be about a comic-book hero, but it has now itself become easy fodder for comics, with both Conan O'Brien and "Saturday Night Live" spoofing it.
Old 12-21-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The performer said the show's actors are responsible for hooking themselves up to harnesses used for aerial stunts.
Oh wow. That just doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Can you imagine that on a film set? And this show is pretty much trying to do movie style stunts.
Old 12-21-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Oh wow. That just doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Can you imagine that on a film set? And this show is pretty much trying to do movie style stunts.
I was thinking the same thing. $65m and you don't hire someone to do one of the most important jobs?
Old 12-21-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet the insurance for this disaster just quadrupled.
Old 12-21-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Conan O'Brien has had two pretty funny spoofs on the Spider-Man musical this week. Bummer the freeze frames on the vids give away the funny ending reveals.

First:
<object width='442' height='375' classid='clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' id='ep'><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/teamcoco_432x243_embed.swf?context=teamcoco_embed_offsite&videoId=236293' /><param name='bgcolor' 'value='#000000' /><embed src='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/teamcoco_432x243_embed.swf?context=teamcoco_embed_offsite&videoId=236293' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' bgcolor='#000000' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' width='442' height='375'></embed></object>

Second:
<object width='442' height='375' classid='clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' id='ep'><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/teamcoco_432x243_embed.swf?context=teamcoco_embed_offsite&videoId=236634' /><param name='bgcolor' 'value='#000000' /><embed src='http://i.cdn.turner.com/tegwebapps/tbs/tbs-www/cvp/teamcoco_432x243_embed.swf?context=teamcoco_embed_offsite&videoId=236634' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' bgcolor='#000000' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' width='442' height='375'></embed></object>
Am I the only one who just sees white scrolling boxes? Is there something I don't have installed?
Old 12-21-10, 10:12 AM
Banned

My prediction:
Old 12-21-10, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I was thinking the same thing. $65m and you don't hire someone to do one of the most important jobs?
it's a giant clusterfuck ready to implode - I have a spidey feeling this will fail on Broadway.
Old 12-21-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea, I gotta chime in again...After reading about the mess of the story now, with Bono/Edge staying in NYC to try and fix the 2nd act, plus all these accidents it doesn't look good. I did get a complete recording of one of the nights that I am trying to fix soundwise just so I can hear all the music, but I bet it's shut down soon with all the problems...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.