DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bands you've seen in their final concert (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/582175-bands-youve-seen-their-final-concert.html)

cungar 11-17-10 08:13 AM

Bands you've seen in their final concert

I can only think of one I've attended. Genesis at the Hollywood Bowl 3 years ago. It was the last show of the tour and it sure looks like they're never going to tour or perform as a band again. Rather lackluster show by the way.

Anyone else seen a band's last hoorah?

sauce07 11-17-10 08:21 AM

Re: Bands you've seen in their final concert

I drove 600 miles and walked 17 miles to see Phish's final show, they came back 5 years later (I was there too)

Randy Miller III 11-17-10 08:26 AM

I came close and didn't even realize it. Saw Ben Folds Five in Scranton, PA in 2000 in what was apparently the last show of the current tour. They broke up soon after, but not before playing another show in their hometown of Winston-Salem, NC. Of course, they also played a one-off reunion show a few years back, but I'm thrilled that I got to see them one last time near the end of their original run.

astrochimp 11-17-10 11:11 AM

I was at The Who's final show December 17th 1982 at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

Gdrlv 11-17-10 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 10495418)
I drove 600 miles and walked 17 miles to see Phish's final show, they came back 5 years later (I was there too)

I saw both of Phish's final shows (Shoreline in 2000; Coventry in 2004).

islandclaws 11-17-10 12:12 PM

I saw one of the final shows by The Ramones at Lollapalooza '96. I don't think I've seen the final, final concert by anyone, though.

sauce07 11-17-10 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv (Post 10495755)
I saw both of Phish's final shows (Shoreline in 2000; Coventry in 2004).

The Shoreline show was a "final" show, it was just the final show before the hiatus.

edclem 11-17-10 12:31 PM

The closest I have been was seeing Damageplan 10 days before Dimebag Darrel was shot and killed on stage. I had been waffling on whether to go to the show or not, but I am really glad I did. (first, the show itself was awesome, and then after the shooting because I would never be able to see him again, obviously)

cungar 11-17-10 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp (Post 10495742)
I was at The Who's final show December 17th 1982 at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

He he funny. Farewell tour number one.

whaaat 11-17-10 01:17 PM

Lewis Taylor :(

Pizza 11-17-10 01:42 PM

Not a band that I'm aware of, but I did see what was probably Harry Chapin's final performance. He was on Broadway in a concert show called The Night that made America Famous. I saw the last performance. Afterward, Chapin, friends and co-workers did an extra hour of an impromptu talent show. It was great. Later that year, he had the car crash that took his life.

islandclaws 11-17-10 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by edclem (Post 10495877)
The closest I have been was seeing Damageplan 10 days before Dimebag Darrel was shot and killed on stage. I had been waffling on whether to go to the show or not, but I am really glad I did. (first, the show itself was awesome, and then after the shooting because I would never be able to see him again, obviously)

I still kick myself in the ass for not seeing them when they played CA. Last time I saw Dime play live was with Pantera back in '01.

scarredgod 11-17-10 02:55 PM

i saw the final performance of The Juliana Theory, and i also seen Zao break up on stage but they eventually continued on.

Gdrlv 11-17-10 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 10495841)
The Shoreline show was a "final" show, it was just the final show before the hiatus.

Did you see any of that run? I did Vegas -> Phoenix -> Chula Vista -> Irvine -> Shoreline. People were thinking of Shoreline as the possible "final shows" ever, and talk about them never coming back was rampant. Then, with the pre-show music before the last show being "(This Could Be) The Last Time" and the post-show music being "Let It Be," those feelings were only amplified. Even the band has come out and said that they considered not coming back as they considered Cypress the apex of their career and knew it would never be topped.

That said, Shoreline was nowhere near as depressing as Coventry. The band at least put on a solid (if not entirely remarkable) show at Shoreline.

astrochimp 11-17-10 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10495884)
He he funny. Farewell tour number one.

Yep :lol: And the reason i remember the exact date is because it was my 13th birthday.

cungar 11-17-10 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp (Post 10496420)
Yep :lol: And the reason i remember the exact date is because it was my 13th birthday.

I saw the LA Coliseum show of the "Farewell Tour".

Memories:
  • Sponsored by Schlitz
  • Townshend's Flock of Seagulls hairdo
  • Massive food fight in the Coliseum
  • Clash and T-Bone Burnett opened

Damfino 11-17-10 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 10496440)
I saw the LA Coliseum show of the "Farewell Tour".

Memories:
  • Sponsored by Schlitz
  • Townshend's Flock of Seagulls hairdo
  • Massive food fight in the Coliseum
  • Clash and T-Bone Burnett opened

Hey! I was at that show too! Funny, I don't remember seeing you.

Rypro 525 11-17-10 06:04 PM

Saw what i believe was the final Dream Theater show with Portnoy in the band if that counts (Iron Maiden Final Frontier tour)

The Black 11-17-10 06:55 PM

Led Zeppelin - O2 Arena

I've seen a bunch of final tours.
But nothing else springs to mind of farewell shows.

cactusoly 11-17-10 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by edclem (Post 10495877)

I saw them exactly 1 week before he was shot. :(

nodeerforamonth 11-17-10 08:27 PM

Rocket From The Crypt.

That's it (that I can remember). All the other bands who I've been to their "final" concert, always end up reuniting.

dhmac 11-17-10 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 10495418)

Why didn't you just drive 617 miles?

Could've saved some walkin'

:D

sauce07 11-17-10 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv (Post 10496317)
Did you see any of that run? I did Vegas -> Phoenix -> Chula Vista -> Irvine -> Shoreline. People were thinking of Shoreline as the possible "final shows" ever, and talk about them never coming back was rampant. Then, with the pre-show music before the last show being "(This Could Be) The Last Time" and the post-show music being "Let It Be," those feelings were only amplified. Even the band has come out and said that they considered not coming back as they considered Cypress the apex of their career and knew it would never be topped.

That said, Shoreline was nowhere near as depressing as Coventry. The band at least put on a solid (if not entirely remarkable) show at Shoreline.

No, I didn't go to any of the shows but do remember knowing that it was called a hiatus and that they would most likely be back. On the other hand i remember the feeling i had reading "A Letter From Trey" the first time and how it seemed different.

Those shoreline shows are great, Coventry sucked.

Giles 11-17-10 11:15 PM

It wasn't technically their last show, but I saw Art of Noise during their final US tour in San Francisco, when they were in the States for their Coachella set in 1999.

[email protected] 11-18-10 01:05 AM

I saw two "last" shows - Tina Turner in LA about 10 years or so ago, and Joe Jackson in Boston (remember 'Concerts on the Common'?) back in the 80's. Of course, both have since toured again...