Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album By Album: Genesis

Old 12-29-10, 08:44 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Album By Album: Genesis

Don't forget that the Lamb vocals on the archive set were rerecorded by Gabriel. Similar to wht he did on Plays Live.

But that shouldn't stop you from getting the set.

For me, once one graduates from the Phil era and works back (I grew up on 80's Genesis), the gold standard is Supper's Ready. That and any live version of Firth of Fifth with Steve Hackett doing the solo.

Some boots out there that are fantastic:

Live at the Lyceum Ballroom (1980): Great sound quality
Live in Zurich (Zurich revisited) (1977): Ditto
Old 12-29-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wind & Wuthering

Released December 23, 1976 (UK), December 27, 1976 (US)

1. Eleventh Earl of Mar
2. One For the Vine
3. Your Own Special Way
4. Wot Gorilla
5. All In A Mouse's Night
6. Blood On the Rooftops
7. Unquiet Slumbers For the Sleepers
8. In That Quiet Earth
9. Afterglow

Personnel

* Steve Hackett – guitars, kalimba, autoharp
* Tony Banks – keyboards
* Mike Rutherford – basses, guitars, bass pedals
* Phil Collins – vocals, drums, percussion

Production

Produced by David Hentschel and Genesis

Wind & Wuthering is the eighth studio album by British rock band Genesis, originally released in December 1976.

Tony Banks has said Wind & Wuthering is one of his two favourite Genesis albums. Steve Hackett has also stated that he is "very fond" of this album (this was also his last studio release with the band).

The text following the spoiler tag is from "The Genesis Discography", edited by Scott McMahan and "compiled by a cast of thousands who volunteered information."

Spoiler:
Wind And Wuthering, which was released in January of 1977, was an album of vastly differing bits
and pieces. The song "Your Own Special Way" was made up of three different bits by Rutherford,
and Phil Collins contributed the very Brand X-sounding "Wot Gorilla?" Banks' effort on this album,
however, was tremendous. "One For The Vine," a concert staple for many years, was a very
indulgent track that rambled and wove for nine minutes, and "All In A Mouse's Night" featured
Banks' present but seldom-seen incredible sense of humor which would later show up on his solo
albums.

Sadly, Steve Hackett contributed little, as Genesis was streamlining their songs at the same time
Hackett was going off in a more experimental direction. Steve wanted to do things in nonstandard
time signatures, something the rest of Genesis had lost interest in. Steve also felt that
with four people in the band, he should contribute at least a fourth of the writing, while the other
members viewed it differently -- only the best of the material all four contributed would be
chosen. The other three were willing to let Steve do as many solo albums as he wanted for his
material, as long as he played by Genesis rules when in the band. The differences they had over
the input made this Steve's last Genesis album.

The long instrumental "Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers...In That Quiet Earth" takes its name
from the last line in the book Wind and Wuthering, hence the name of the album.
Old 12-29-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is about half a great album.

Eleventh Earl of Mar, One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops and Afterglow are all great Genesis songs and really the end of an era as far as the progressive side of this band goes.

Eleventh Earl of Mar is probably my favorite as it rocks pretty hard and I've always loved the lyrics.

One for the Vine is an attampt at a long multi-part song like Supper's Ready which comes up short in comparison but is still stellar.

Blood on the Rooftops is a great song. I love the lyrics referring to the English manner of ignoring the world as they sip tea.

Afterglow became a great concert tune and has always reminded my of Firth of Fifth.

The rest is decent Genesis but not that memorable. I really don't like Your Own Special Way although it may be the second Genesis song I ever heard. It reminds me of 70's soft rock like something by America or John Denver.
Old 12-29-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another great album in the cannon of the Phil Collins version of Genesis. Seems to me, to be a very personal album. It was sad to see Steve leave the band after this one, as his guitar work was never duplicated again (they never did this type of classic compositions again). With the exception of 'Wot Gorilla', every song is a classic. I remember owning this on a recorded cassette tape (45 minute per side), and the album would cut off just at the start of 'Afterglow'. It wasn't until I purchased the CD in the mid 80s, that I found out what a masterpiece that missing song was. This one definitely rates 4 out of 5 stars.
Old 12-29-10, 12:26 PM
Banned

We're getting there....we're getting there....
Old 12-29-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hadn't listened to this for a while (or at least hadn't remembered it). Another strong effort, even if lacking the number of "classics" that "Trick of the Tale" had. And it was a bit heavy on the instrumentals for my taste. Yeah ... "Your Own Special Way" is a bit soft-rocky I love "Afterglow". Prog-rock Genesis really knows how to close an album out with a winner. What an epic live song. Amazing that the song (if you believe the band) took as long to write as it took to play.
Old 12-29-10, 03:14 PM
Banned by request

To me, this is where prog-era Genesis ran out of steam. Wind and Wuthering opens with a fantastic one-two punch, "Eleventh Earl of Mar" and "One For The Vine," both of which are as classic (in my mind) as any track from the Gabriel era barring "Supper's Ready." Epic, sprawling, with vocals that showed how Collins was gaining confidence as a vocalist (compare the vocals on "Eleventh Earl of Mar" to "More Fool Me," it sounds like a different person entirely). The rest of the album doesn't ever hit the heights of those two tracks.

"Your Own Special Way" is often cited as Genesis' first foray into pop, but for my money it's a far less effective track than "Follow You Follow Me" from the next album.

As someone else mentioned above, "Blood On The Rooftops" and "Afterglow" are the remaining standouts, and "Afterglow" in particular really gained a new life in their live shows of the period.

The rest of the album feels faceless to me, coming off of the Gabriel era and the excellent A Trick of the Tail. I can see why Hackett decided to leave after the accompanying tour. Still, a less than perfect prog Genesis album is still better than a lot of prog in general.
Old 12-29-10, 03:49 PM

As a whole, I find this album to be quite a step down from A Trick of the Tail. I can take or leave Eleventh Earl of Mar, but I do like One For The Vine. Although I do think it would work better as an instrumental. I absolutely love Your Own Special Way. Not quite as good as Ripples, but close. I must be one of the few to like Wot Gorilla, but I think it's a good song. I love the guitar work on Blood On the Rooftops. Afterglow closes out the album wonderfully and was performed on the band's last tour in 2007 (or at least part of it). The rest is just ho hum.
Old 12-29-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A step down from Trick Of The Tail, but still decent. I think my favorite moment is ...In That Quiet Earth.
Old 12-30-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This ranks easily as my second-least favorite Genesis album. The only one worse is the next album. To me they seemed to stumble on the way to the "new" Genesis post-PG.
Old 12-30-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by reverie View Post
This ranks easily as my second-least favorite Genesis album. The only one worse is the next album. To me they seemed to stumble on the way to the "new" Genesis post-PG.
Not for me...this was still the 'classic' sounding band at their peak. IMO, they would stumble a bit with their next release, rise to great heights with Duke, and then fall into 'pop' world with ABACABA. Don't mean to be getting ahead here, but had to point out how much I love Wind and Wuthering.
Old 12-31-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting, I consider Genesis:Genesis one of my fav albums of all time. I love listening to the SACD and truely loved it back in the day. I also enjoy some tracks on Abacab. Sorry if I got ahead of myself on your countdown. I just wanted to say I find it interesting your thoughts on the early albums which I've never even heard before.
Old 01-01-11, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Interesting, I consider Genesis:Genesis one of my fav albums of all time. I love listening to the SACD and truely loved it back in the day. I also enjoy some tracks on Abacab. Sorry if I got ahead of myself on your countdown. I just wanted to say I find it interesting your thoughts on the early albums which I've never even heard before.
That's part of the reason I started this thread. To explore the music of Genesis, and to read the opinions of others. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-07-11, 09:57 AM

Seconds Out

Released October 21, 1977

Disc 1
1. Squonk
2. The Carpet Crawlers
3. Robbery, Assault and Battery
4. Afterglow
5. Firth of Fifth
6. I Know What I Like
7. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
8. The Musical box (Closing Section)

Disc 2
1. Supper's Ready
2. Cinema Show
3. Dance On A Volcano
4. Los Endos

Personnel

*Phil Collins
*Tony Banks
*Steve Hackett
*Mike Rutherford

Additional Musicians

*Chester Thompson
*Bill Bruford

Production

David Hentschel and Genesis

Seconds Out is a live double album by Genesis, released in October 1977. It reached #4 in the UK, remaining in the charts for 17 weeks. The performances were recorded in Paris in 1976 and 1977 on their tours in support of A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. At the end of several songs the crowd can be heard encouraging the band to play another song by chanting "Une autre!" which literally means "another one". This is the final tour to feature guitarist Steve Hackett.

More from Wikipedia following the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
Seconds Out is the band's second live album following Genesis Live in 1973. While the earlier live set had been released by the band's label to mark time while they recorded Selling England by the Pound, Seconds Out was planned as a major release, an authoritative document of Genesis' sound with Phil Collins as frontman and lead vocalist. The recording includes former Weather Report drummer Chester Thompson at the start of his long tenure as concert drummer for the band. Former Yes and King Crimson drummer Bill Bruford, the first drummer to take over for Collins on the stage after Gabriel's departure, is featured on "The Cinema Show". Guitarist Steve Hackett left the band during mid-1977 as Seconds Out was being mixed. A critical and commercial success, the album hit #4 in the UK and #47 in the US, where their popularity was still gaining steam.

Seconds Out is commonly regarded as the end of Genesis' progressive rock era, as they would begin exploring shorter and more direct song formats beginning with their next studio release, …And Then There Were Three…, which would prove to be their American breakthrough album. To many fans, this live set is notable for its combination of classic Gabriel-era songs redone by the musical virtuosity of the later Genesis, mixed with favourites from the first two post-Gabriel releases.

Until Genesis Archive 1967-75 (1998), Seconds Out contained the only official live recording of Genesis concert staple "Supper's Ready", a 23-minute-long opus which many have considered the band's signature piece. As the band would slowly phase out this intricate quasi-orchestral piece, and lose Hackett while this album was being mixed, this album marks the end of the 'classic' Genesis lineup. Perhaps ironically, this album also prominently features Steve Hackett's live guitar work in a manner that overshadows his recorded solos (see for example, the live version of "Firth of Fifth").

The album's title has a double meaning. The phrase 'Seconds out!' is used by some boxing[2] (and wrestling) officials to indicate that the fighters' ring crew (their 'seconds'[3]) must leave the ring because the next round is about to begin e.g. "Seconds out! Round 2". Also, the album is the second Genesis live album i.e. recorded out of the studio. It has also been suggested that the title refers to Hackett's departure because he is the second significant member to be out of the band. This is clearly incorrect, as both Banks and Rutherford regard Anthony Phillips's departure in 1970 to have been more significant in Genesis history than Gabriel's departure in 1975. This would make Hackett the third 'significant' band member to leave, and the sixth in total.

On the Genesis – A History video (1990), Banks dryly jokes that, after Hackett announced his departure from the band, "we just mixed him out of the rest of the album and that was it, really." Thanks to this quip, it has been rumoured among Genesis fans that Hackett was, in fact, "mixed out" of Seconds Out, although, by listening to the album it is possible to hear Hackett’s guitar along with the other instruments. Hackett later said that Banks' remark was simply "British humour". As Banks' joke was made in the context of a longer, more serious discussion about Hackett's departure, that would seem to be the case. However, Hackett has been quoted as saying he was not happy with the sound on the album, but, having already decided to quit the band, did not want to fight to have input during the mixing sessions.

The album's credits include details of which drummer(s) are playing on each song. These include statements like "drums Chester, keyboard solo Phil." These have been misinterpreted as saying that Phil plays the keyboard solo, but in fact they refer to his playing drums during the keyboard solo.

"Firth of Fifth" is performed here without the piano introduction, beginning immediately with the lyrics. A similar recording appears on Genesis Archive 1967-75. Tony Banks stopped playing the piano introduction in concert during the Selling England by the Pound tour, as there were no electric pianos in existence at the time which were sensitive enough to allow Banks to recreate the "classical" feel of the introduction.

This album's version of "I Know What I Like" includes an extended instrumental section which makes more or less subtle references to "Stagnation" and "Visions Of Angels" (Trespass), "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" (Selling England by the Pound) and "Blood On The Rooftops" (Wind & Wuthering).

Like many of the band's studio albums, this live album also features a "book-end" effect where musical themes and ideas used in the beginning reappear at the end of the album (such as on Selling England By The Pound, A Trick Of The Tail, Wind & Wuthering, and Duke for example). The ending of "Los Endos" features themes from the live album's opening track "Squonk".

A digitally remastered version was released on CD in 1994 on Virgin in Europe and on Atlantic in the US and Canada. Longtime Genesis producer Nick Davis has recently completed a 5.1 remix of this and other Genesis live albums which were released as a box set in September 2009.
Old 01-07-11, 10:06 AM

I really like this album. I give it four stars out of five. The only problems I really have with it are the opening song and Phil's voice. While I like Squonk, I think they should have started with something like Dance On A Vocano, and then ending with Los Endos (which they did end with) to kind of bookend the performance.

I think that Phil's voice here doesn't sound as strong or confident as would later in their career. But as I have stated before, I actually prefer his vocals on the Gabriel era songs.

I've read many reviews on Amazon (where this is very highly rated) that liken this album unto a spiritual experience. I don't know if I feel that way about it, but I haven't had a chance to listen to in a darkened room with just a candle so that I can space out.
Old 01-07-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was so excited when this was reissued the first time.. a "new" Genesis album for me! But to be honest, I don't remember it now.. I'll have to put it on. Good track list though!
Old 01-07-11, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

I love this album. The band is positively on fire. Phil doesn't have the stage presence of Gabriel, but his vocals sound more heartfelt. An absolute monster of a live album that may be their best live set.
Old 01-08-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite live album of all time and this is from a rabid Who fan who loves Live at Leeds.

This was my introduction to Genesis and I remember taking bong hits and listening to this over and over in my friends bedroom in 10th grade. He was a huge Yes fan but I thought they sucked compared to Genesis.

Lemmy take note:
Anyone who wonders if Genesis could ever kick ass in concert need only listen to side 4 of this (Cinema Show-Dance on a Volcano-Los Endos) on headphones. It's instant air drum heaven. The Cinema show duet with Bill Bruford is one of the greatest drum duets ever recorded. ANd the finale of Dance on a Volcano and Los Endos is equally awesome.

Not much else to say except if you've never heard this album, you're missing a treat. I've probably listened to it 200 times.
Old 01-09-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone is in the mood to be a completist, here are the 3 songs from the "Spot the Pigeon" EP that came out in between W&W and Seconds Out (and recorded for W&W, but didn't make the final cut for that release). I never heard any of them before (until just now, on youtube):

Old 01-10-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Inside and Out is a great song. The others not so much.
Old 01-10-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember having that EP on blue vinyl. Yes Inside and Out is a masterpiece about a deranged rapist. The other two songs are not great but I loved their very English sensibility.
Old 01-11-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
If anyone is in the mood to be a completist, here are the 3 songs from the "Spot the Pigeon" EP that came out in between W&W and Seconds Out (and recorded for W&W, but didn't make the final cut for that release). I never heard any of them before (until just now, on youtube)
If I'm not mistaken, I believe only Inside and Out came from the Wind and Wuthering sessions. Match of the Day and Pigeons (I'm pretty sure) came from the Trick of The Tail sessions.

This EP was just another example of the band's output (even the stuff that didn't make the cut), being consistently excellent at this point of their career.
Old 01-11-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Falc04 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe only Inside and Out came from the Wind and Wuthering sessions. Match of the Day and Pigeons (I'm pretty sure) came from the Trick of The Tail sessions.
I don't know. I just got that information from wikipedia:

Spot the Pigeon is a 7 inch EP by the British progressive rock band Genesis, released in 1977. Its three songs were holdovers from the Wind & Wuthering sessions, which the band felt did not fit the feel of the album.
Old 01-11-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spot the Pigeon is a 7 inch EP by the British progressive rock band Genesis, released in 1977. Its three songs were holdovers from the Wind & Wuthering sessions, which the band felt did not fit the feel of the album.
Too bad. Inside and Out would have made it a much better album. Especially of it replaced Your Own Special Way or Wot Gorilla.
Old 01-12-11, 07:32 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I remember having that EP on blue vinyl.
I still have 'Spot The Pigeon' (on blue vinyl), I consider it one of my prized album possessions, 'Inside And Out' makes that EP, I never even listen to the other 2 (maybe I should give them another chance). -kd5-

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.