Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album By Album: Genesis

Old 12-08-10, 10:14 PM
Banned by request

Re: Album By Album: Genesis

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Suprmallet, is this it?

Genesis and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Almost the whole book is online. I may have to read that.
That might be what it turned into. I don't remember the original article (which I read online) to be anything more than one guy typing up his theories and citing some sources at the end. This seems a lot more scholarly.

Edit: Actually, I'm sure this is not the same thing. The article I read was how The Lamb translates to a specific type of meditation, not the contents of The Tibetan Book of the Dead.
Old 12-12-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
I really enjoy the first disc, and the second disc less so.
Completely disagree. You really need to listen to the second disc again. Better then anything Genesis would compose in the future.

"The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near"
Old 12-12-10, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, The Lamia, The Colony of Slippermen, and Riding The Scree have some of the best melodies the band ever put to tape.
Old 12-12-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Falc04 View Post
Completely disagree. You really need to listen to the second disc again. Better then anything Genesis would compose in the future.

"The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near"
I've listened to it dozens of times. I still think it pales in comparison to the first disk.
Old 12-14-10, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
We Can't Dance should definitely have been the end of the line for the band. Aside from the first three tracks, that album was one giant suckfest. Invisible Touch, on the other hand, is an awesome album.
Ouch. Personally I love "Dreaming While You Sleep" "Driving the Last Spike" and "Fading Lights" a LOT!
Old 12-14-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by redhenry View Post
Ouch. Personally I love "Dreaming While You Sleep" "Driving the Last Spike" and "Fading Lights" a LOT!
Well...everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some are just more fervent about it.

Welcome...and please stick around. More to come and hopefully we will be getting to We Can't Dance in a few weeks.
Old 12-14-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched/listened to the Lamb DVD. The 5.1 mix suits the material well. Having the Slippermen whispers come at me from both sides in the rear creeped me out a bit It was neat seeing the some of the visuals from the live show. The slide presentation was a nice touch, and was way ahead of its time for 1974. And that Slipperman costume Phil was funny recalling how those concerts typically went. He said it was right out of Spinal Tap. He loved the idea of the slides and lights, but they rarely worked. And people would start laughing when Peter slid out of a giant inflatable penis wearing the Slipperman costume. After which he'd sometimes get tangled up in the microphone wire and trip. And even if he didn't, he was usually too out of breath to properly sing. That sounds like more of a disaster than Spinal Tap's pod not opening up, or the little Stonehenge.

The 50 minute interview on the DVD was a good extra. All the band members participated, and there certainly was a lot going while Lamb was being recorded. Everyone is very modest about Lamb - while they all like some aspects, no one seems to share the fan opinion that it's their masterpiece. Phil had a funny story about Brian Eno's involvement. Phil didn't know much about Eno at that time, but Peter raved about him - and was excited when he got Eno to come to their studio and contribute to Lamb. But there was a cost. Unbeknownst to Phil, Peter "rented" out Phil to Eno for a day in return. Peter told Phil he didn't know any details ... Phil just had to show up at Eno's place and do whatever he wanted for a day. Phil was a little worried, and was relieved when he found out all he to do was play drums

This also seems to have been one of the friendlier band breakups (or major lineup changes) that I've heard of. They all remained great friends afterward (and would play on each others projects). Everyone seemed to realize that Peter going off on his was the best thing for him artistically - and he did everything he could to make the transition as smooth as possible. If anything, the other member of Genesis said they were kind of dicky to Peter at times during the recording - getting upset when he stayed away from the studio because of his wife's serious health problems. In response to the rumor that Phil forced Peter out because he wanted to take over, Peter had this to say: "Bullshit!"
Old 12-14-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redhenry View Post
Believe me, Suprmallet is not the only Genesis fan that hates We Can't Dance.
Old 12-16-10, 10:08 AM

A Trick of the Tail

Released February 2, 1976 (UK), February 20, 1976 (US)

1. Dance on a Volcano
2. Entangled
3. Squonk
4. Mad Man Moon
5. Robbery, Assault and Battery
6. Ripples
7. A Trick of the Tail
8. Los Endos

Personnel

* Phil Collins vocals, background vocals, percussion, drums
* Steve Hackett electric guitar, 12-string guitars
* Tony Banks organ, synthesizers, pianos, background vocals, 12-string guitar, mellotron
* Mike Rutherford bass guitar, 12-string guitar, bass pedals

Production

David Hentschel and Genesis

A Trick of the Tail is the seventh studio album by the rock band Genesis and the first to feature Phil Collins as full-time lead vocalist following the departure of original vocalist Peter Gabriel.

The text following the spoiler tag is from "The Genesis Discography", edited by Scott McMahan and "compiled by a cast of thousands who volunteered information."

Spoiler:
1976's A Trick Of The Tail re-captures some of the 12 string sound that had been receding into
the background on some of the previous albums. This was not surprising, since at this time
Anthony Phillips and Mike Rutherford were working a lot together on what would eventually lead
to Ant's return to recording and the music industry.

Those critics who had said Genesis was dead following Gabriel's departure had a rude awakening
when Genesis came back with the album that sold more than any previous album in their career,
and with a new frontman: Phil Collins!

Genesis found themselves without a singer, but Phil Collins, who in hindsight seemed the obvious
choice, was everything but dragged into the lead spot. He was auditioning other singers all along, teaching them the songs, and no one seemed quite right. After a futile search for a replacement
vocalist, the drummer reluctantly stepped from behind the drum kit to take the stage as
frontman. He was originally only going to sing the softer songs, since everyone (including himself)
didn't think he could handle the harder songs with all the screaming in them.

One of the tracks from the album, "Squonk," a song critics claimed was a vitriolic attack at Gabriel,
was actually a lyric penned by Rutherford about one of America's very few (if not only) native
mythological woodland creatures. In fact, on the day critics panned Genesis for attacking Gabriel
in "Squonk," Collins and Rutherford were in the studio helping Gabriel lay down demos for
Gabriel's forthcoming first solo album.

It might be worth mentioning here that never has any parting from Genesis been bitter, brought
hard feelings, or even been out of anger. In fact, Genesis actually sent off a positive, good luck
message to Gabriel at the end of the closing "Los Endos" by including the last few lines to Supper's
Ready: "...there's an angel standing in the sun...free to get back home." The lyric is poignant,
considering the motif of going home in "Solsbury Hill" on Gabriel's first solo album, which is
about his decision to leave Genesis.

Crediting individuals with writing songs began on Trick and continued until Abacab. With the
music having been credited to a collective "Genesis" in the past, people wrongly assumed Peter
Gabriel wrote everything, and so the band quickly set about setting the record straight.

Indeed, after Gabriel's departure, Tony and Mike took over the majority of the writing. Tony is
credited on every one of the tracks on A Trick Of The Tail. Steve Hackett still contributed next to
nothing. Phil Collins had not started writing prolifically yet, but introduced some jazz-fusion into
the group. Los Endos was originally a shorter, stand-alone jazz-fusion song composed by Phil. It
was augmented by the band when they brought in to it a medley of all the themes that were part
of the other songs on the album. (The opening, which isn't part of Los Endos proper and also isn't
heard on the album, is from a song called It's Yourself which did not make it onto the album but
was a flip side to some singles.)

The reason this is known is because of a bootleg known as the Trick Of The Tail outtakes. It has
Los Endos as played before the other album themes were introduced. Genesis' studio work has
always been fairly secret, and unlike a band such as Yes (which has almost as much original
material stolen as outtakes and released on bootlegs as they do official albums), outtakes from
the studios are almost never found. The Trick outtakes are a rare look into the formative genesis
of the album. Unfortunately most of the songs are already finished to the point they are on the
album, and lack only a few vocals and overdubs. (It's Yourself is a curiosity, since it was
practically ruined by the editing out of an entire verse and the excessive overdubbing done to it
after the Outtakes were outtaken.)

The tour for Trick started a longstanding Genesis tradition of getting outside musicians to play at
the live shows while the main core of the band-- Tony, Mike, and Phil (and Steve for a while)--
wrote and recorded the albums in the studio. This tour saw Phil Collins' friend and long-time
influence Bill Bruford join the band on drums; interestingly, Genesis claimed Bruford was more
famous than they were at the time! Phil was in the very early stages of forming Brand X, a band
which Bruford was actually in during the time of A Trick Of The Tail, so Phil got him to drum on
the Genesis tour by asking him to do so while they were both at a Brand X rehearsal. Contrary to
some reports, Bill never played on any Genesis studio album or contributed any songwriting. He
also never showed up on any Brand X records.

Last edited by Alvis; 12-19-10 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-16-10, 10:46 AM
Banned

Still "not my bag, baby"...but we're getting there.
Old 12-16-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We're all waiting the moment when Genesis gets good enough for Lemmy.

I like this album because I used to listen to it a lot and I felt it was a good debut for Phil. The band stayed true to their roots and of course Steve Hackett was still along for the ride. Dance on a Volcano is a great opener. I always loved this song on Seconds Out. It's still a mystery what the song's about but it seems to be about committing to challenges. You better start doing it right!

Squonk is my favorite song on the album and I feel an underappreciated Phil Collins era classic. A great concert opener (See Seconds Out). For some reason the story of the squonk is just such a weird topic for a rock song. Incidentally Steely Dan mention the squonk in the song Any Major Dude. "Have you ever seen a squonk's tears well look at mine" Does anyone know if either band was referencing the other?

I actually think Robbery, Assault and Battery may be the first Genesis song I ever heard when I saw the video on Don Kirshner's rock concert. I was intriqued by the odd time signature. I like the song here but like it more on Seconds Out.

Ripples is a great song. Love the lyrics about aging. I also like Entangled and Mad Man Moon has a great chorus. The title track may be my least favorite track but it's kind of a cool Beatleesque tune about strange creatures.

Last edited by cungar; 12-16-10 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-16-10, 12:34 PM
Banned by request

Apparently the band spent months searching for a replacement for Gabriel, and never found anyone who was a good fit. Finally someone suggested that Collins do vocals until they found someone, so they could record, and it just stuck.

I love this album. Collins isn't Gabriel, and the band is clearly more concerned with the music than the lyrics (as evidenced by Collins' vocals being buried far deeper in the mix than any Gabriel vocals had been), but the music that's here is fantastic. "Dance On A Volcano" sounds like a spiritual successor to "Dancing Out With The Moonlit Knight," "Entangled" has a wonderfully dreamy feel, and the whole album has that classic prog Genesis feel.

For me, the two highlights of the album are "Robbery, Assault, and Battery" and "A Trick of the Tail." The former (which in my mind is always linked lyrically with Kate Bush's "There Goes A Tenner") tells a tale of a robbery gone wrong, while the latter tells of a strange creature discovered who claims he comes from a city made of gold, and the expedition to find it. Musically and lyrically, both songs feel distinct from anything Genesis had recorded before (not so much in the sound, but more in the way the melody was constructed). They're stand outs on an album that surprised everyone with its consistency and high level of quality following Gabriel's departure.

I remember reading an interview with Gabriel where he said that when he left the band, everyone was saying how Genesis would fall apart, because Gabriel was the one with the talent in the band. Then, when this came out, before Peter Gabriel's first solo album, everyone turned on him and went from saying he had done everything to he had done nothing. He said it crushed him for a while, then he got over it and went on with his life.
Old 12-16-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna have to listen to my 5.1 DVD Audio of this tonight.
Old 12-16-10, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Still "not my bag, baby"...but we're getting there.
What album is it you are waiting for? Just curious.
Old 12-16-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
What album is it you are waiting for? Just curious.

My prediction is Duke. Although Genesis had its first true radio hit with Follow You Follow Me from "...and then there were three..." the rest of that album is some rather difficult to listen to sludge.
Old 12-16-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah yes ... the era of Phil is upon us!!!

This is probably my second favorite Genesis album (next to Duke). It has a great mix of songs. Some heart-thumping arena rockers (Dance on a Volcano, Squonk). Some lovely ballads - which show that Phil Collins ballads don't have to suck (Entangled, Ripples). Some whimsical pop songs (Robbery, Assault, and Battery, Trick of the Tale).

Maybe it's not as artistically impressive as some of the Gabriel-era stuff. But it's very engaging from a listener point of view. While Phil voice's isn't that different from Gabriel's - he handles the older material just fine, as we'll see - it has a warmer quality to it, that opens up a different sound to the band.
Old 12-16-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI Collins once referred to Squonk as their answer to Kashmir.

Old 12-16-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trick is a great album, and one of the best by the Phil-fronted band. 'Mad Man Moon' is probably my favorite individual song that the group ever wrote (as you know from my prior posts, The Lamb was the best complete album the band ever made). The ballads are truly wonderful. I read once that Phil was nervous about doing the softer songs when agreeing to take the lead, as there is little help from the accompanying instruments to cover any vocal weaknesses.

One last comment...I remember my first day at Plattsburgh St. in 1982. On the walls of the ground floor, as you entered my dorm, were all the drawings from the cover of this album. It was at that point, that I knew I had chosen the correct college.
Old 12-16-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I quite enjoy this album. There's a pretty cool cover of "Ripples" on the album titled "Supper's Ready" by Annie Haslam as well. This is easily the best early Phil vocal-ed album.
Old 12-18-10, 08:17 AM

If there was any question as to whether the band would be in trouble without Gabriel, all doubts were put aside with the release of 'Trick Of The Tale'. Excellent album from start to finish, with every song a winner (which would get harder and harder for the band to achieve, as the years went by). This album is just about the best output by the Phil Collins lead band, with only Duke being better (well, Wind & Wuthering was pretty darn good too).

It's been a while since I gave this one a spin...think I'll throw it on while having my morning coffee. BTW, thanks OP for starting a thread on my absolute favorite band...been a fun read.
Old 12-20-10, 10:10 AM

As I have read many times, A Trick of the Tail seems to be more of a successor stylistically to Selling England By the Pound than Lamb was. I enjoy the album from beginning to end, however, as with many of the songs from the Gabriel years I am hard put to actually know what the lyrics are about.

I do enjoy the album each time I listen to it and I think I get more from it each time I listen to it. Favorites for me are Dance On A Volcano, Entangled, Ripples, A Trick of the Tail and Los Endos.

I think Ripples may be one of the most beautiful, yet haunting songs I have ever heard. It is an interesting perspective on aging and the loss of physical beauty and might be one of my favorite Genesis songs ever. It has truly made me glad that I am going through Genesis albums that I have never heard before and hearing songs that are truly outstanding and can touch me emotionally.
Old 12-27-10, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The solo careers thread reminded me of something. What do the Steve Hackett solo albums sound like? Always been curious about them.
Old 12-27-10, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
The solo careers thread reminded me of something. What do the Steve Hackett solo albums sound like? Always been curious about them.
I always found them quite pretentious, though I'm sure that will surprise few contributors to this particular thread.
Old 12-28-10, 01:53 AM
Banned by request

On the other hand, I highly recommend Voyage of the Acolyte.

And on a Genesis related note, I picked up the live 1973-2007 box set and the remastered 1983 self-titled album tonight (the latter I've never owned in any form). Very excited to delve into the 5.1 mixes of Live and Seconds Out, not to mention Live at the Rainbow 1973.

Last edited by Supermallet; 12-28-10 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-29-10, 01:15 AM
Banned by request

I spent most of the day today listening to the live box set, including the Live at the Rainbow 1973 set (which is only available in the box). Genesis performing live with Gabriel continues to blow me away. The show featured pretty much the entire tracklist of Selling England By The Pound, along with Watcher of the Skies and Supper's Ready. Gabriel's confidence is so palpable, and the band follows him measure for measure. This, combined with the Live album and the Lamb set from the Archive box create a pretty complete picture of Genesis live with Gabriel. A shame that most of the Gabriel live material is only available in box sets.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.