DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/581086-ric-ocasek-cars-reunite-work-new-album.html)

cungar 10-23-10 09:24 AM

Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

The band has posted a new song, ‘Blue Tip,’ online, with footage from recent studio sessions

Link to video clip: http://www.facebook.com/video/video....59565&comments

The rumors floating around since July have finally been confirmed: After a 23-year break, the Cars have reunited with original frontman/songwriter Ric Ocasek and are working on their first album together since 1987's Door to Door. On on their Facebook page the band recently posted a 73-second clip of themselves in the studio working on a new track called "Blue Tip," and Billboard reports that the Cars are recording a new album and may be planning tour dates.

Random Notes: Lady Gaga, Elton John, Kanye West

In July the Cars hinted at a possible reunion with Ocasek, who previously said he'd never take part in one, when they posted a photo of the four surviving bandmembers together in a Boston studio. In 2005, keyboardist Greg Hawkes and guitarist Elliot Easton launched the New Cars with Todd Rundgren at the microphone, but that project ended in 2007. Any hopes for a full Cars reunion ended in 2000 when bassist-singer Benjamin Orr passed away from pancreatic cancer. The Cars' official website is currently "under construction," so more information is likely to come.

Pizza 10-23-10 09:43 AM

Re: Ric Ocasek and the Cars Reunite, Work on New Album

I liked The Cars back in the day and bought all their albums. I just rebought them on CD from the UK in a nice, cheap set. Still, I can't feel much excitement over this.
I didn't even understand the Rundgren (who's music I love and collect) thing a few years back. It felt desperate, especially for Todd. Did this combo do well?
And what was the deal with Ocasek originally leaving the group? I know he did a solo album. I'm assuming he felt he was the band and could do it alone. Or maybe he just wanted to hang out with his model wife. :)

Groucho 10-23-10 10:21 AM

I think at their age they shouldn't be driving. Perhaps they should reunite as the "Retirement Village Vans"?

Chrisedge 10-23-10 12:51 PM

Very excited and almost posted a thread about it a few days ago...I hope they just release an album. Their tours were pretty static, so I am ok with just a new album (sounding like that clip, very retro sounding) if that is all the did.

Supermallet 10-23-10 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 10447322)
I didn't even understand the Rundgren (who's music I love and collect) thing a few years back. It felt desperate, especially for Todd. Did this combo do well?

That was a really bizarre pairing. I can only imagine Rundgren did it, as he does most things, because he got some perverse pleasure out of it. :)

gmanca 10-23-10 02:30 PM

Well it will be missing the atmospheric touch that Orr brought to many of the Cars best songs.

KnightLerxst 10-24-10 12:21 AM

If/when they tour I am there. Another band that broke up before I was old enough to go to concerts.

mickey65 10-24-10 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 10447727)
Well it will be missing the atmospheric touch that Orr brought to many of the Cars best songs.

:thumbsup: I agree. It's not "The Cars" without Benjamin Orr.

ken_572002 10-24-10 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 10448742)
:thumbsup: I agree. It's not "The Cars" without Benjamin Orr.

Ben Orr was a huge part of The Cars, no doubt...but the other musicians in the band were equally skilled. I've always been of the belief that Greg Hawke's talents were underappreciated by the masses. Check out his work on the song 'Heartbeat City' to see what I mean (and countless others). Even when he lend-ed a hand to his bandmates solo projects, the songs he was involved with, always stood out above the rest.

Chrisedge 02-17-11 04:18 PM

Blue Tip...complete video of new song

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fpJQWGA1O8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pizza 02-17-11 04:24 PM

Sounds like a lost Cars song from their original run. They haven't progressed at all...and maybe that's a good thing. I must admit to liking it.

statcat 02-17-11 04:59 PM

better than I expected

Numanoid 02-17-11 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 10643237)
Sounds like a lost Cars song from their original run. They haven't progressed at all...and maybe that's a good thing.

A very good thing.

I like how they manage to avoid showing their faces in the video, so they don't turn off the youngsters who automatically dismiss anything made by anyone over 30.

cungar 02-17-11 06:55 PM

Damn that transports me back into high school. Ocasek sounds exactly the same. Good stuff.

Norm de Plume 02-17-11 07:40 PM

Not bad. Very retro, which I like.

Groucho 02-17-11 07:44 PM

Decent single, definitely sounded like a Cars song.

astrochimp 02-17-11 07:44 PM

Love it :up:

Chrisedge 02-17-11 08:47 PM

I am loving it! Already on my iPod.

boc4ever 02-17-11 10:04 PM

Great stuff. Reminds me of "Shake it Up" era material. I'll miss Orr, but there's no way I'm missing this tour.

mickey65 02-17-11 10:32 PM

Eh, not liking it.

atlantamoi 02-18-11 04:25 AM

LOVE this song. When Devo released their last album it was a decent comeback, but maybe felt a little forced. This Cars song and the snippets of two other songs I've heard are somewhat of a surprise in how good they sound.

reverie 02-18-11 10:55 PM

Awesome! Though no surprise they've still got it. "Not Tonight" was a great faux Cars song, and Ric has been churning out Cars-sounding stuff on every album he's done I think.

rider555 02-19-11 01:04 AM

Wow.I tell ya',things just keep on getting better..Devo got back together,Ultravox got back together,first new Thomas Dolby album in over 15 years and now The Cars are back!
But...now,could someone please make Holly Johnson get back with the lads and Adam back with the Ants?Oh yeah and I want the original line ups of Men At Work and A Flock of Seagulls back too.

Numanoid 02-19-11 01:56 PM

Don't forget OMD reuniting and touring. :)

terrible chong 02-19-11 03:02 PM

I really like it.

Kind of shows how music has come full circle, what with all the modern hipster bands trying to get that retro 80s sound.