DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Favorite LIVE Davie Bowie Album (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/581077-favorite-live-davie-bowie-album.html)

AnonomusBob15 10-23-10 12:39 AM

Favorite LIVE Davie Bowie Album

They are all so different, what's everyone's favorite?

Mine - Reality Tour (2 CDs). I love the energy of this show. And his voice has never sounded better.

rw2516 10-23-10 06:48 AM

Re: Favorite LIVE Davie Bowie Album

Santa Monica '72. I like Serious Moonlight a lot, although it's not officially on cd. I can't stand to watch it anymore, too 80s. I have a cd of it though.

cdollaz 10-23-10 09:33 AM

The Ziggy Soundtrack is the one for me. I do like the Reality Tour set alot also.

dvduser6 10-23-10 09:39 AM

Stage is one I go back to often since it features Adrian Belew who is one of my absolute favorite guitarists. Don't forget the "Live at the Beeb" that was included with limited edition sets of Bowie at the BBC. I listen to that one quite a bit as well.

cdollaz 10-23-10 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jippy (Post 10447314)
Don't forget the "Live at the Beeb" that was included with limited edition sets of Bowie at the BBC. I listen to that one quite a bit as well.

Yeah, that one is really good.

SkullOrchard 10-23-10 11:10 AM

Santa Monica 72

Supermallet 10-23-10 12:53 PM

Ziggy Stardust soundtrack. An amazing set of songs, played wonderfully, and you get to hear him say "Not only is this the last show of the tour, but it's also the last show we'll ever do." Classic.

rw2516 10-23-10 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10447570)
Ziggy Stardust soundtrack. An amazing set of songs, played wonderfully, and you get to hear him say "Not only is this the last show of the tour, but it's also the last show we'll ever do." Classic.

Amazing songs that are played wonderfully, but a crappy recording. Have they cleaned it up and reissued it?

Supermallet 10-23-10 05:38 PM

It was reissued a few years ago, as was the film, which I managed to catch in a revival theater.

rw2516 10-23-10 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10447991)
It was reissued a few years ago, as was the film, which I managed to catch in a revival theater.

I'm gonna go ahead and pick this up. When the LP first came out it I could barely make it through one listen. Never played it again.

RagingBull80 10-24-10 12:01 AM

I would go with Stage. That's my favorite Bowie era/material and the performances were great.

David Live is atrocious by the way.

hawk 10-24-10 11:08 AM

Stage[especially in dvd-a]

Jack Straw 10-24-10 12:11 PM

Although I don't believe it's been released on CD, there's a DVD I picked up along the way from the Glass Spider tour with Peter Frampton on guitar. Has lots of great tunes on it with lots from Never Let Me Down (Day-In, Day-Out, Loving The Alien, Time Will Crawl].

Here's a link to stream the show at Wolfgang's.
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/david-...t-30-1987.html

There's also a Bowie/NIN concert from 1995 available if that's your cup of tea (or arsenic).

The Antipodean 10-24-10 01:31 PM

Santa Monica narrowly beats out Ziggy for me, mainly for the astounding guitar work.

Don't forget about the VHI Storytellers disc, which is half Bowie giving amusing anecdotes and half music, but well worth picking up
And the "Live at the BEEB" set which is more radio work than live in concert but absolutely worth hearing....

The Antipodean 10-24-10 01:33 PM

Oh and as for *ahem* not-official releases I absolutely love the all-star set Bowie did on his 50th birthday in 1997 with a ton of guests like Frank Black, Robert Smith, Dave Grohl and many more. That one is such an amazing show it really deserves an official release someday....

Mabuse 10-25-10 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 (Post 10448589)
David Live is atrocious by the way.

I saw an interview with Bowie once where he criticized it, said it was recorded during his worst period of drug use, and he even mocked the title (I think he refered to it as "Is David Living?") and cover photo.

AnonomusBob15 10-25-10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc (Post 10449283)
Oh and as for *ahem* not-official releases I absolutely love the all-star set Bowie did on his 50th birthday in 1997 with a ton of guests like Frank Black, Robert Smith, Dave Grohl and many more. That one is such an amazing show it really deserves an official release someday....

there is a rare Coca-Cola Promo set which is two discs, and contains about 75% of the songs played that night.

My favorite version of Space Oddity is on this disc, plus Quicksand with Robert Smith is a highlight.

the sound quality on Ziggy Sardust prevents it from being higher on my list, and that includes the reissue.

The Santa Moncia disc is essentially a bootleg as well. It's just an FM Broadcast. Am I right?

Dubya 10-25-10 08:24 PM

Santa Monica 72 but in second place I actually like David Live. I've tried but I just can't get into the Stage era of Bowie.