Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2011 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees (No Rush)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

From Rolling Stone
Later this morning, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will announce their 2011 ballot. Rolling Stone can confirm that it includes first-time nominees Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Donovan and Neil Diamond, plus previously nominated acts LL Cool J, J. Geils Band, Beastie Boys, Donna Summer, Chic, Dr. John, Laura Nyro, Joe Tex, Darlene Love and Chuck Willis. Artists must have released their first single in 1985 or earlier to be eligible in 2011. The top vote-getters will be announced in December, and formally inducted on March 14th 2011 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City.

Neil Diamond and Alice Cooper have both been eligible for over fifteen years — and only Rush and KISS fans have been more outspoken about the exclusion of their favorite band. “I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should be calling me,” Cooper said in 2002. “I think I'm being blackballed. But it's great to be the Pete Rose of rock and roll.” Last year the Hall of Fame inducted other the long-overlooked acts Genesis, the Stooges, the Hollies, Jimmy Cliff and ABBA.
Start bitching now
Old 09-28-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: 2011 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees (No Rush)

That it took this long for Waits to get his first nomination is stupid.
Old 09-28-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alice Cooper needs to get in
Old 09-28-10, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Old 09-28-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bon Jovi might be my least favorite nom ever so far. I'm not suggesting they don't get in, but I wouldn't want to see their speech or performance.
Old 09-28-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I was never a fan of Rush, but even I would have to agree that they are more deserving than some of these nominees.
Old 09-28-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Vegas should start taking bets on which band will get into the HOF first
Rush or...
Green Day
Blink 182
Dave Matthews Band
Creed

I'm almost willing to best against Rush on all counts (yes, even Creed)
Old 09-28-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The bands you listed have awhile to wait still- they didn't release anything 25 years ago.
Old 09-28-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great that Alice Cooper is finally nominated, I consider it a major stepping stone for the RNRHOF to finally get a crumb of legitamacy. Alice Cooper influenced just about everybody, like it or not. Now its time for Deep Purple, Rush and Kiss to get in. After that they can bring in the next wave (Maiden, Priest, ect.)

BTW its cool that Alice aknowleged the Alice Cooper BAND :
"On behalf of Dennis (Dunaway), Neal (Smith), Michael (Bruce) and the late great Glen (Buxton), we are honored to be nominated for induction in to the Hall. Anytime you are nominated in your chosen profession, it's definitely a compliment to be recognized..."

My best guess though is that the nomination is for Alice Cooper the artist not Alice Cooper the band.
Old 09-28-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neil Diamond. W00t! Should have been in by year two or three.

Tom Waits? I haven't heard a whole lot of his work, but what I have heard doesn't say "Rock & Roll" to me. Still, he is an important figure in contemporary music history, that's for sure.
Old 09-28-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm totally behind Rush getting accepted in the HOF...so people on DVDTalk will finally shut the hell up about it.
Old 09-28-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rob Zombie should induct Alice
Old 09-28-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Agreed x 10.

J. Geils Band? Really?

I get the feeling that they're purposely holding back some 2nd tier (a notch down from the elite) so they can spread it out over the years more. The result of holding some back will be 3rd tier or lower artists will wind up rising to the top of the order. It's the only explanation I can think of.
Old 09-28-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I'm totally behind Rush getting accepted in the HOF...so people on DVDTalk will finally shut the hell up about it.
For reals and yes Green Day deserves to be there before Rush.
Old 09-28-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Agreed x 10.

J. Geils Band? Really?
Yes really. The J. Geils Band was one of the most popular touring rock bands in America during the '70s. I saw them several times and their shows were just on par with the E-street band in their prime. The fact that most people only know them by their hits may make them seem trivial but they were a great R&B based rock band.
Old 09-28-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Delighted about Neil Diamond. Support Alice Cooper getting in. Okay with Tom Waits, though more of a fan of him as an actor than as a singer or songwriter. Want Bon Jovi to wait. Against Donovan's induction, which probably means he's the most likely of the bunch.

The Beastie Boys should absolutely be inducted.
Old 09-28-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Yes really. The J. Geils Band was one of the most popular touring rock bands in America during the '70s.
Yeah, they opened for KISS several times during the mid 70's.

Old 09-28-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly
great that Alice Cooper is finally nominated, I consider it a major stepping stone for the RNRHOF to finally get a crumb of legitamacy. Alice Cooper influenced just about everybody, like it or not. Now its time for Deep Purple, Rush and Kiss to get in. After that they can bring in the next wave (Maiden, Priest, ect.)

BTW its cool that Alice aknowleged the Alice Cooper BAND :
"On behalf of Dennis (Dunaway), Neal (Smith), Michael (Bruce) and the late great Glen (Buxton), we are honored to be nominated for induction in to the Hall. Anytime you are nominated in your chosen profession, it's definitely a compliment to be recognized..."

My best guess though is that the nomination is for Alice Cooper the artist not Alice Cooper the band.
Old 09-28-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Don't forget about KISS...
No shit. KISS is a total gimmick band that couldn't write a fucking song to save their lives.
Old 09-28-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Delighted about Neil Diamond. Support Alice Cooper getting in. Okay with Tom Waits, though more of a fan of him as an actor than as a singer or songwriter. Want Bon Jovi to wait. Against Donovan's induction, which probably means he's the most likely of the bunch.

The Beastie Boys should absolutely be inducted.
absolutely? If they're going to induct rappers they should drop the whole "rock & roll" part of their name. They should of done that years ago.
Old 09-28-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, let's look at the nominees...

Bon Jovi - Don't they represent everything that the R&RHOF is supposed to despise? Style over substance, quantity over quality. Def Leppard is a similar band, had more success, and was much better - and they haven't been nominated. Bon Jovi is an odd choice. Did someone with pull on the nominating board owe them something?

Alice Cooper - About time. He and the band should have been inducted 15 years ago.

Tom Waits - Is a great songwriter. A legendary figure. But Rock and Roll? Another artsy choice for the nominating board so they can feel good about themselves.

Donovan - Are you kidding me? Donovan?

Neil Diamond - Not really Rock and Roll, but a great songwriter and a decent singer. Another legendary figure who was on the periphery of real Rock and Roll.

LL Cool J - Most Rap has no place in the R&RHOF. It isn't Rock and Roll. Some Rap artists who often combined Rock with Rap could have a place, but LL Cool J isn't one of them, really.

J. Geils Band - They were a good live band (who opened for KISS several times ), and their albums are good for what they are, but this is a, "B" level band, pure and simple. Not HOF worthy.

Beastie Boys - One of those Rap acts that could fit in the HOF. But not before KISS, Deep Purple, RUSH, etc, get inducted.

Donna Summer - Shit, they nominated the wrong Casablanca Records act! Since when was Disco legitimately Rock and Roll. Real Rock fans and bands mocked Disco - and burned Disco albums. I wouldn't put her in the HOF.

Chic - A legit musical act, great at what they did. They deserve to be inducted - maybe - after many other acts that are more legitimately Rock and Roll get in.

Dr. John - Again, legendary figure, not really Rock and Roll. Another, "B" List act in a lot of ways (despite legendary status).

Laura Nyro, Joe Tex, Darlene Love and Chuck Willis - Really???

And no KISS, Deep Purple, Rush, Iron Maiden, etc.

All in all, this is the most craptacular nominee list yet.
Old 09-28-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601
No shit. KISS is a total gimmick band that couldn't write a fucking song to save their lives.
pretty much
Old 09-28-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Wrong, but thanks for listening with your eyes.

Gimmick bands last a year or two. Unless they've got legitimately good music for the gimmick to promote. After 37 years it's amazing that the same old line about KISS (just a gimmick band, no good music) keeps getting trotted out.

That line was wrong in 1974, and it's still wrong now. It's kind of hard to ignore the continued success over the years, not to mention the hundreds of successful musicians from major bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Anthrax, etc, and solo artists like Lenny Kravitz, Garth Brooks, etc, that have cited KISS as a major influence, but some people still manage to do it.
Old 09-28-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik

Donovan was a surprise to me in a good way. I think he deserves to be in there with other singer/songwriters of his time period like Cat Stevens.
Old 09-28-10, 11:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
OK, let's look at the nominees...

Bon Jovi - Don't they represent everything that the R&RHOF is supposed to despise? Style over substance, quantity over quality. Def Leppard is a similar band, had more success, and was much better - and they haven't been nominated. Bon Jovi is an odd choice. Did someone with pull on the nominating board owe them something?

Alice Cooper - About time. He and the band should have been inducted 15 years ago.

Tom Waits - Is a great songwriter. A legendary figure. But Rock and Roll? Another artsy choice for the nominating board so they can feel good about themselves.

Neil Diamond - Not really Rock and Roll, but a great songwriter and a decent singer. Another legendary figure who was on the periphery of real Rock and Roll.

LL Cool J - Most Rap has no place in the R&RHOF. It isn't Rock and Roll. Some Rap artists who often combined Rock with Rap could have a place, but LL Cool J isn't one of them, really.

J. Geils Band - They were a good live band (who opened for KISS several times ), and their albums are good for what they are, but this is a, "B" level band, pure and simple. Not HOF worthy.

Beastie Boys - One of those Rap acts that could fit in the HOF. But not before KISS, Deep Purple, RUSH, etc, get inducted.

Donna Summer - Shit, they nominated the wrong Casablanca Records act! Since when was Disco legitimately Rock and Roll. Real Rock fans and bands mocked Disco - and burned Disco albums. I wouldn't put her in the HOF.

Chic - A legit musical act, great at what they did. They deserve to be inducted - maybe - after many other acts that are more legitimately Rock and Roll get in.

Dr. John - Again, legendary figure, not really Rock and Roll. Another, "B" List act in a lot of ways (despite legendary status).

Laura Nyro, Joe Tex, Darlene Love and Chuck Willis - Really???

And no KISS, Deep Purple, Rush, Iron Maiden, etc.

All in all, this is the most craptacular nominee list yet.
I find it hilarious that you're upset about the HOF being too exclusionary when 90% of your comments about the nominees are that they're not "real" rock and roll. I'll say this, regardless of how "real" of a rocker Tom Waits is, the quality of his output makes him 1000x the candidate that Kiss is. And I love Kiss. And they should be in the HOF. But that doesn't mean that Tom Waits or Laura Nyro or Donovan shouldn't.

Oh, and Chic might not have been rock, but they influenced a metric ton of rock bands and Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards produced tons of major artists in the 80's. They absolutely should be in there, again, regardless of how "real" they are to rock and roll.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.