Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2's manager says the 'free' ride for music via the Internet is over

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2's manager says the 'free' ride for music via the Internet is over

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: U2's manager says the 'free' ride for music via the Internet is over

Originally Posted by statcat
I don't know it just sounded a bit sick to me. Here was Paul Stanley, a guy with millions asking for $1000 just to spend like a few minutes with him backstage and autographs aren't even guaranteed?! Not even guaranteed is he joking? I thought it was so insane it was unbelievable. I remember reading it in his answers from emails from fans. A fan wrote in saying he grew up with them, how important they were, how much the tickets were to begin with and how he wanted to meet them. Paul just says something like "maybe that's what you can afford" How can they parade two guys around as Ace and Peter too? Well the answer is the almighty dollar for those guys just like their insane merchandising of Kiss coffins and condoms. I think it doesn't show respect for their fans at all to even consider charging that kind of money just to meet them.
Well that is one thing U2 have going for them. They are EXTREMELY accessible to their fans. You can meet them at almost every show they do. They often come out and sign autographs / picture opps before / after shows.

I've "met" them at least 3-4 times...That shot above was at a dress rehearsal that they let all the fans waiting outside into.

Originally Posted by Mikael79
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ono-net-worth/

Bono net worth, according to the above: $200M USD

If I were an artist, I would do everything possible to make it affordable and easy to download my work online, instead of doing everything possible to block technical progress.
Like having your own iPod and launching it with a "Complete" artist package for downloading might include almost 100 unreleased songs? It was the first major release of a purely-digital online set by any artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_U2

Last edited by Chrisedge; 09-22-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
in other news, U2's musical relevance is also long over.
fixed
Old 09-22-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
It was the first major release of a purely-digital online set by any artist.
????

I guess it depends on how you define "major release", but They Might Be Giants' "Long Tall Weekend" was exclusively released digitally and online, and they beat U2 to the punch there by five years.
Old 09-22-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
????

I guess it depends on how you define "major release", but They Might Be Giants' "Long Tall Weekend" was exclusively released digitally and online, and they beat U2 to the punch there by five years.
I think they meant "Box Set" for the U2 release. I see the same wording on the TMBG wiki page as I do on the U2 wiki page. Only difference is "set" vs. "album"...
Old 09-22-10, 06:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It was the first big full catalogue release, but didn't you have to buy the iPod to get all the music? Or was it released simultaneously on iTunes?
Old 09-22-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like having your own iPod and launching it with a "Complete" artist package for downloading might include almost 100 unreleased songs? It was the first major release of a purely-digital online set by any artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_U2
My comments under my link were meant more for the manager of U2, but you're right...U2 is more progressive than a lot of bands. I do think artists with a successful career should be millionaires, but the manager makes it sound like musicians are recycling cans for food.

I still buy CDs, vinyl and legal MP3s, so I'm not trying to justify illegal downloads or anything.
Old 09-22-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Release the album for free, play shows, sell merch, and license your songs. I imagine Sleigh Bells made just as much money by licensing one of their songs to Honda as they did in CD sales.

It costs literally nothing to distribute your album over the internet.
Old 09-22-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by statcat
I don't know it just sounded a bit sick to me. Here was Paul Stanley, a guy with millions asking for $1000 just to spend like a few minutes with him backstage and autographs aren't even guaranteed?! Not even guaranteed is he joking? I thought it was so insane it was unbelievable. I remember reading it in his answers from emails from fans. A fan wrote in saying he grew up with them, how important they were, how much the tickets were to begin with and how he wanted to meet them. Paul just says something like "maybe that's what you can afford" How can they parade two guys around as Ace and Peter too? Well the answer is the almighty dollar for those guys just like their insane merchandising of Kiss coffins and condoms. I think it doesn't show respect for their fans at all to even consider charging that kind of money just to meet them.
The beauty about it is that it's optional. If you don't like KISS or don't have the $1,000 or don't want to pay that price, YOU DON'T HAVE TO! No one's forcing you to!
Old 09-23-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
The beauty about it is that it's optional. If you don't like KISS or don't have the $1,000 or don't want to pay that price, YOU DON'T HAVE TO! No one's forcing you to!
I don't think anyone aside from hardcore kiss fans (which I am not by any means) would even be aware of it. I found it unbelievable when I read it years back and still do. My only intention with mentioning it was just to point out something I thought was incredibly insane under the theme of rock stars after cash.
Old 09-23-10, 01:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3uboewMWKu4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3uboewMWKu4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-23-10, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
It costs literally nothing to distribute your album over the internet.
It costs a lot to record and mix an album, and I'm sure somebody has to pay for the bandwidth for potentially millions of people to download the album.
Old 09-23-10, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It costs a lot to record and mix an album
Anymore, it really doesn't. That's another one of the reasons why so many bands are going the self-distributed route these days. I mean, sure, you can still ring up enormous expenses recording an album if you want, but a lot of the indie albums I listen to were recorded at home or on-the-cheap, and they sound about as good as a massively budgeted major label studio release.
Old 09-23-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is like saying that Toyota is responsible if somebody puts illegal drugs in their trunk.
Ha. You deny that Toyota knowingly allows drugs to be placed in their trunks? Fools.
Old 09-23-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
It's easy to complain about millionaire musicians, but most of the musicians I listen to sure aren't millionaires--they're just people trying to make a living. I'm happy to see my favorite musicians compensated for their work, and I don't think any complaints I had about the music industry would justify me stealing from them.
Old 09-23-10, 09:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are two great articles about what it's like to be a working band/artist in the industry. The first is by Steve Albini, leader of Big Black and influential producer. It's from the 90's, so some of the numbers will be off, but the principles are the same. It covers what happens when you make a deal with a major label. The second is by David Byrne of Talking Heads, is more recent, and covers the spectrum of deals you could get, going from total corporate management (he cites Madonna's deal there) to doing it completely yourself, and the options/limitations of each.

The Albini article: http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

The Byrne article: http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m...urrentPage=all

These are just to give the discussion a little more context. Plus they're both good reads.
Old 09-23-10, 09:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not sure why some are using this thread to bag on U2. Paul McGuinness is speaking for himself here, I see no indication that he's speaking on behalf of the band.
Old 09-23-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure why some are using this thread to bag on U2. Paul McGuinness is speaking for himself here, I see no indication that he's speaking on behalf of the band.
Well let's face, any times a good time to bag on U2
Old 09-23-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, he is.

Bono has said all of those things, including about ISPs and etc. Also Bono suggested that since China can censor and crack down on the internet so effectively, we should implement that type of censoring and internet control worldwide to get rid of piracy.

Of course Bono and his manager have nothing to say about the more than $6,000,000,000 lawsuit against the major labels for stealing form them outright, decades of the labels robbing artists and screwing them on residuals and licensing. I mean naturally all that gets a pass.
Old 09-23-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It costs a lot to record and mix an album
Axl agrees.
Old 09-23-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
It was the first big full catalogue release, but didn't you have to buy the iPod to get all the music? Or was it released simultaneously on iTunes?
No, if you bought the U2 iPod, you got a $50 off coupon, but you could buy "The Complete U2" by itself for $149...Other bands (Depeche Mode, is one I know of) have also released "Complete" sets on iTunes as well.
Old 09-23-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, if you bought the U2 iPod, you got a $50 off coupon, but you could buy "The Complete U2" by itself for $149...Other bands (Depeche Mode, is one I know of) have also released "Complete" sets on iTunes as well.
I remember thinking, you know, I bet they do double album remasters someday. Doesn't seem worth it. And voila! Although I only bought Joshua Tree I plan to buy Achtung Baby.
Old 09-23-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Well that is one thing U2 have going for them. They are EXTREMELY accessible to their fans. You can meet them at almost every show they do. They often come out and sign autographs / picture opps before / after shows.
I can say from experience that Paul and Gene are extremely generous and gracious with fans, paying or otherwise. They'll always pose for pictures, sign autographs, etc. A few months ago Paul had an exhibition of his art in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and not only was it FREE, he and Tommy Thayer did an acoustic set of Kiss tunes for all attending.

Not to mention the massive amount of charity work they do...
Old 09-23-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I can say from experience that Paul and Gene are extremely generous and gracious with fans, paying or otherwise. They'll always pose for pictures, sign autographs, etc.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWwjMmw0vKA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWwjMmw0vKA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-23-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While that is true, someone has to front bands the money to pay for studio time, marketing and other costs. Average net margins for a business in the USA are around 5%. bands making $1 per cd is pretty good.

Same with touring. I doubt u2 takes home more than 5% of tour revenues. You have to pay the bills, salaries and the money you borrow to go on tour

Originally Posted by aintnosin
The whole argument supposes that CD sales are the primary source of income for most artists.

Unless you are a rich millionaire rock star in a limo, it probably isn't. Most acts don't make a dime off CD sales (or even legal downloads). The performers make their scratch by performing, not recording and releasing. Even the top acts that make millions off their CDs make tens of millions from touring (and associated merchandise sales).

The record industry would like us to think that tours exist to promote CD sales, but that's just how ass-backward the industry is. Recording started out as a promotional tool for the performing musician, a way to get butts in the seats for the show, and, for the most part, that's all it still is.

The hilarious thing is that an act like U2 doesn't need a record company. They could release their new album free on the internet, go on tour, and still make a bazillion dollars. That's the reality the recording is scared shitless about.
Old 09-23-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The record companies screwed up their business model of constant format changes and making money off catalog sales. With iTunes and amazon they sell singles instead of full albums that are still paid for in production. And people don't have to buy their music a second time if they bought a cd.

I wouldn't care if I had to pay money to my ISP, but then it would mean I would be able to download anything I want from p2p. And most of the new music on p2p is straight from the record company. They need to police themselves if they want to stop leaks a few weeks before release

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.