Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How to ID a song when you don't know any lyrics just a melody

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-18-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the past few months, I've heard a song in numerous commercials but unfortunately I can't remember what product was being advertised otherwise I'd easily be able to figure out what it is. There don't appear to be any lyrics in the clips that I've heard except for maybe a female voice saying the word "fashion" or perhaps "passion" in a manner almost like saying it into a megaphone; sounds more spoken than sung. It has a strong keyboard part and I could be wrong but I think it may have been used in an ad for Grand Theft Auto. It sounds like a more recent song and might be by a hip hop artist. It's also a bit low key. I swear I heard it once in a commercial for the show Damages but I haven't been able to find it and all of the songs I've pulled up online that were in commercials for that show or for GTA aren't it. It may have been in an ad for some other cable show I could just be mistaken.

I'm trying to figure out what the heck the song is but most of the ways I use to ID a song require knowing the lyrics or having an audio sample of the song (neither of which I have). Any one have any other ideas on how I can figure out what this song is? I've tried the midomi web site where you can hum or sing a song into the mic and it will try an ID it but haven't had any luck.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 09-18-10 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: How to ID a song when you don't know any lyrics just a melody

Hmm...you can find out what production studio made the commercial. Seriously, they may have credits including what song is used on their webpage, or if it's a custom made song, what studio or artists made the music. To find out what company or companies did a specific commercial, visit the product website - if it's really making you bananas, you can call.
Sometimes asking around at a music store or digging through the CD shelves of the specific genre can help. You'd be surprised what you can find.
Old 09-18-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mario_c
Hmm...you can find out what production studio made the commercial. Seriously, they may have credits including what song is used on their webpage, or if it's a custom made song, what studio or artists made the music. To find out what company or companies did a specific commercial, visit the product website - if it's really making you bananas, you can call.
Sometimes asking around at a music store or digging through the CD shelves of the specific genre can help. You'd be surprised what you can find.
If I could remember the specific commercial I saw it in I'd be all set, but I've seen it in numerous ones but I can't remember specifics . Normally I am able to figure out songs from commercials in a matter of seconds by searching online or using Shazam on the iphone but this one just got stuck in my head and since I don't really know any lyrics or what commercial it was in, I'm having a tough time figuring it out.

BTW, Lordship, CT I live in the state and had no idea where that was, I had to look it up on Google Maps!
Old 09-18-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Jangling", by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. The commerical was the new Ford commercial.
Old 09-18-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
"Jangling", by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. The commerical was the new Ford commercial.
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not the song I was thinking of. The one I'm thinking of has a very strong keyboard part and, at least in the short clips I've heard, very little singing and isn't quite as upbeat. It also sounds more like something you'd hear in a club.

The one you mention is from the Fiesta commercial though which is pretty great too so it's worth checking out!
Old 09-19-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not the song I was thinking of. The one I'm thinking of has a very strong keyboard part and, at least in the short clips I've heard, very little singing and isn't quite as upbeat. It also sounds more like something you'd hear in a club.

The one you mention is from the Fiesta commercial though which is pretty great too so it's worth checking out!
just based on the description, i would think its Bad Romance by Lady Gaga (as there is that one part that goes 'walk walk fashion baby, walk walk pasion baby) and it does have a strong keyboard part, but somehow, i doubt thats the song your thinking of.
Old 09-19-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just figured out what it is. I was watching NFL Pregame and suddenly they were playing the song. It's Flashing Lights by Kanye West (ugh) and I had seen it in a promo for Nip/Tuck. The voice is saying "flashing".

Now that I've heard most of the full song, the little intro riff is definitely the only good part
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7xzbKiv851c?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7xzbKiv851c?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-19-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Just figured out what it is. I was watching NFL Pregame and suddenly they were playing the song. It's Flashing Lights by Kanye West (ugh) and I had seen it in a promo for Nip/Tuck. The voice is saying "flashing".
I was thinking when you said "passion" might be the word, it was "that one from the nip tuck commercial". It is also used in some Yahoo commercial where a dude reads the headlines and then walks thorough them like they are his life, while he is at work.

I did not know the song title, nor the artist (and i use that word loosely now that it is Kanye), so thanks for clearing up a question i had, and was too lazy to search for.
Old 09-19-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i actually sadly like that song (bows head in shame)
Old 09-19-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i actually sadly like that song (bows head in shame)
It's catchy until Kayne starts singing