Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Ballad of John and Yoko" by The Beatles (1969)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

"The Ballad of John and Yoko" by The Beatles (1969)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: "The Ballad of John and Yoko" by The Beatles (1969)

The formation of Apple Corp didn't help either. In a year and a half it became a financial sinkhole, requiring an outside party to come in and manage the company. McCartney wanted Kevin Eastman, Linda's father, but Lennon wanted Allen Klein, whom Mick Jagger and Keith Richards recommended. Eventually the band sided with Lennon against McCartney, which was just another in a series of rifts.
Old 09-16-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If we keep the semblance of order right, the formation of Apple came after Yoko. The trip to India came after Yoko. Sgt Pepper...after...

There were strifes, sure. Of course there were, but the end came not so much with Brian Epstein's death, which they could have overcome, but with the birth of Yoko.
Old 09-16-10, 03:36 PM
Banned by request

Yawn. Your determination to lay the death of The Beatles solely at Yoko's feet is tiresome. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Was Yoko a factor? Sure. Was she the only (or even main) factor? Absolutely not. And the idea that The Beatles could have survived anything except Yoko is laughable. If you want to keep blaming Yoko, go ahead. But it's a distorted view of what happened. And sitting in a corner crying how evil Yoko made all The Beatles fight and broke them up isn't going to do anything.
Old 09-16-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But I don't really blame Yoko. I don't. I blame John for allowing Yoko to infiltrate the group. I lay the blame at John, who was apparently very unhappy.

The band would have ended, but I just think it might have gone on a few years longer.
Old 09-16-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yoko was the CATALYLST that allowed John an outlet to end the group. He probably wouldn't have had the strength, the courage, or the nerve to end it on his own.
Old 09-16-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
If we keep the semblance of order right, the formation of Apple came after Yoko. The trip to India came after Yoko. Sgt Pepper...after...

There were strifes, sure. Of course there were, but the end came not so much with Brian Epstein's death, which they could have overcome, but with the birth of Yoko.
Yoko didn't become an issue until the White Album sessions (1968). It was only then where she wouldn't leave Lennon's side and made her presence at recording sessions.

She was not present at the Sgt. Pepper sessions. And if Epstein were still alive, perhaps Lennon wouldn't have been so emboldened to drag her along as much as he did.
Old 09-16-10, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

John left the band and recorded Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, two five star absolutely amazing albums. George left the group and recorded All Things Must Pass, also a five star album, and Living In The Material World, which I could say is comfortably a four star album. McCartney's first two solo albums are also great. Could The Beatles have recorded more albums? Maybe. Could they have been as good as the albums they recorded up to that point? Possibly. But what we do know for sure is that immediately following the dissolution of The Beatles, we got 6 great albums. What more do you want?
Old 09-16-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
John left the band and recorded Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, two five star absolutely amazing albums. George left the group and recorded All Things Must Pass, also a five star album, and Living In The Material World, which I could say is comfortably a four star album. McCartney's first two solo albums are also great. Could The Beatles have recorded more albums? Maybe. Could they have been as good as the albums they recorded up to that point? Possibly. But what we do know for sure is that immediately following the dissolution of The Beatles, we got 6 great albums. What more do you want?
To me, it's "the whole was greater than the sum of its parts" kind of thing. Paul complimented John's songs, and vice-versa. Separate, they lacked something.
Old 09-16-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

before you blast me, I know I'm in the minority of people who don't like the "solo albums" as much as "The Beatles albums."
Old 09-16-10, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Oh, and Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band is also a great album. So that's 7 great albums within three years of The Beatles breaking up.

Look, would I have liked The Beatles to stick around longer? Of course I would. But there's something fitting about the way the band went out. They grew up with the 60's, making more musical progress than any other rock artist outside of Bob Dylan or David Bowie, and ended when the 60's ended. They will always be musical legends because they quit while they were ahead. Look at The Rolling Stones. They're still around, and they're the butt of old age jokes (not a knock on their music, which I love). Sometimes less is more, and with The Beatles, I couldn't imagine anyone else doing more.
Old 09-16-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I have never seen John claiming he'd written that song. All I have ever seen is that Paul wrote it and but there was no documentation that he wrote it for Linda (as has been stated) but many critics believed he wrote it about him and John. The lyrics certainly lend itself to a buddy song over a lover song.

And I agree with many here. The cracks in The Beatles foundation were already there...Yoko just helped hasten the break-up. And John's attitude toward having Yoko around at all times didn't help.

I always wondered if Yoko ever said, "John, it seems I am causing some friction in the studio. Maybe I should stay home today." But John insisted she be there because he knew it would keep pissing the other guys off, especially Paul.
I hadn't heard that about John either but....according to wikipedia:

"Two of Us" is a 1970 song by The Beatles, written by Paul McCartney,[1] although, in his 1980 Playboy interview, John Lennon apparently claimed to have written it.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_of_...Writing_credit

there's a mention that he may have been distracted and referring to "Don't Let Me Down"
Old 09-16-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there any interest in a Post-Breakup Beatles Solo Album-By-Album thread? I don't think we've done that here before, and I always enjoy these things as a listening exercise. Why, I'd even sit through Red Rose Speedway for such an event!
Old 09-16-10, 04:52 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

There's nothing John-like at all about "Two of Us".
Old 09-16-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
There's nothing John-like at all about "Two of Us".
yeah, it's got so many Paul signatures.....the bass intro, the chorus, the lyrics....I bet it was a mistake and he was referring to another song.
Old 09-16-10, 05:05 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Is there any interest in a Post-Breakup Beatles Solo Album-By-Album thread? I don't think we've done that here before, and I always enjoy these things as a listening exercise. Why, I'd even sit through Red Rose Speedway for such an event!
One giant thread for all the solo albums, or one thread per Beatle? I don't know how many people would be interested in going through all of Ringo's solo albums. But I'd definitely participate in a thread for Lennon/McCartney/Harrison, or even better individual threads for each.
Old 09-16-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't know how many people would be interested in going through all of Ringo's solo albums.
Don't know if true. I once heard that the first Ringo album, RINGO, was the biggest seller of the early 70s albums, at the time.
Old 09-16-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One giant thread for all the solo albums, or one thread per Beatle? I don't know how many people would be interested in going through all of Ringo's solo albums. But I'd definitely participate in a thread for Lennon/McCartney/Harrison, or even better individual threads for each.
I'm thinking one thread for all. Which obviously will become quickly McCartney dominated, but still, should at least prove fun nonetheless. Instead of one at a time, I'm thinking of a year by year thing. That way we don't have to waste too much time on, say, "Gone Troppo" or ... well, almost anything Ringo.

Or we could do separate for each... I'm good either way. I'll start a Macca one forthwith!
Old 09-16-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
Don't know if true. I once heard that the first Ringo album, RINGO, was the biggest seller of the early 70s albums, at the time.
I don't know from at the time, but "All Things Must Pass" is still the highest selling solo Beatles LP. (6X platinum IIRC)

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 09-16-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Figured I'd toss it in here for those that are interested...

Amazon is going to exclusively release Collaborations, a 3 CD and 1 DVD Box Set, featuring the collaborative albums between Ravi Shankar and George Harrison. The three CDs are Shankar Family & Friends, Music Festival From India, and Chants Of India, the first of which has never (to my knowledge) been released on CD before.

To be perfectly honest, I've never heard these albums but as a fan of George Harrison, his work with the sitar, and Indian music in general, I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick this up.

http://www.amazon.com/Collaborations...4682957&sr=8-1
Old 09-16-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how many people would be interested in going through all of Ringo's solo albums.
Hell, going through one of them would be a trying experience. Most of George Harrison's later solo material is pretty forgettable as well, though obviously miles above anything Ringo ever mugged through.
Old 09-16-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't know from at the time, but "All Things Must Pass" is still the highest selling solo Beatles LP. (6X platinum IIRC)
Yeah, there's no way RINGO could remain the bestseller over time. If it was the top seller at the time, I'm sure Band On The Run took over top spot pretty quickly.
Old 09-16-10, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Hell, going through one of them would be a trying experience. Most of George Harrison's later solo material is pretty forgettable as well, though obviously miles above anything Ringo ever mugged through.
It's generally diminishing returns after Living In The Material World, but Cloud Nine and Brainwashed are both excellent.
Old 09-16-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

This is when I wish there was a service like Netflix that rented cds. I have never listened to all of their solo stuff but would like to. I guess you can listen to the albums via Youtube?
Old 09-16-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
This is when I wish there was a service like Netflix that rented cds.
you mean like a library?
Old 09-16-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Epstein's death probably hastened their demise more than anything else, because nobody really wanted to step up to the plate except McCartney. Ringo couldn't, George wouldn't, and John was too baked out of his gourd.
Not having Brian Epstein around is probably what doomed them more than anything. He was the glue that held everything together, and when he was removed from the equation, everything started falling apart.

There was a lot of stuff going on back then... Yoko trying to push her way into the band (their bez?) is the most publicly visible sign of turmoil, but there are other things like the Apple Corps fiasco, and George's dissatisfaction with his role in the group that also can't be overlooked.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-17-10 at 12:32 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.