Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bob Dylan: The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964 (The Bootleg Series Vol. 9) - Oct. 19, 2010

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bob Dylan: The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964 (The Bootleg Series Vol. 9) - Oct. 19, 2010

Old 09-10-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Witmark Demos features 47 Bob Dylan songs recorded by the artist – accompanied only by his acoustic guitar, harmonica and occasionally piano – for his first music publisher, Leeds Music, in January 1962, and for his second publisher, M. Witmark & Sons, between 1962 and 1964. Listening to these recordings, one can trace Dylan’s dramatic growth as a songwriter from early traditionally-styled songs like “Man On The Street” and “Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Willie” through the social commentary of “Blowin’ In The Wind, “The Times They Are A Changin’” and “Masters Of War”, and the groundbreaking lyrical genius of “Mr. Tambourine Man.” All of these songs, and all the others on The Witmark Demos, were written – and their subsequent demos recorded – before Bob Dylan turned 24 years old.

Among the many gems found on The Witmark Demos are 15 Bob Dylan songs that were recorded by the artist only for these sessions, and which have never been officially released to the public until now. These include the plaintive“Ballad For A Friend,” the civil rights era-inspired “Long Ago, Far Away” and “The Death Of Emmett Till,” and the poignant “Guess I’m Doing Fine.”

The Witmark Demos also features a deluxe booklet featuring in-depth liner notes by noted music historian Colin Escott, as well as rare photographs of Bob Dylan captured during the same period as these early recordings.

Disc: 1
1. Man On The Street (Fragment)
2. Hard Times In New York Town
3. Poor Boy Blues
4. Ballad For A Friend
5. Rambling, Gambling Willie
6. Talking Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues
7. Standing On The Highway
8. Man On The Street
9. Blowin’ In The Wind
10. Long Ago, Far Away
11. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall
12. Tomorrow Is A Long Time
13. The Death of Emmett Till
14. Let Me Die In My Footsteps
15. Ballad Of Hollis Brown
16. Quit Your Low Down Ways
17. Baby, I’m In The Mood For You
18. Bound To Lose, Bound To Win
19. All Over You
20. I’d Hate To Be You On That Dreadful Day
21. Long Time Gone
22. Talkin’ John Birch Paranoid Blues
23. Masters Of War
24. Oxford Town
25. Farewell
Disc: 2
1. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
2. Walkin’ Down The Line
3. I Shall Be Free
4. Bob Dylan’s Blues
5. Bob Dylan’s Dream
6. Boots Of Spanish Leather
7. Walls of Red Wing
8. Girl From The North Country
9. Seven Curses
10. Hero Blues
11. Whatcha Gonna Do?
12. Gypsy Lou
13. Ain’t Gonna Grieve
14. John Brown
15. Only A Hobo
16. When The Ship Comes In
17. The Times They Are A-Changin’
18. Paths Of Victory
19. Guess I’m Doing Fine
20. Baby Let Me Follow You Down
21. Mama, You Been On My Mind
22. Mr. Tambourine Man
23. I’ll Keep It With Mine

Also:

This box collects Bob Dylan’s first eight 12-inch LPs, his albums from Bob Dylan in 1962 to John Wesley Harding in 1968, as most people heard them, as they were expected to be heard, and as most often they were meant to be heard: in mono. --- Greil Marcus, taken from the liner notes of BOB DYLAN: THE ORIGINAL MONO RECORDINGS

Bob Dylan’s first 8 studio albums in mono for the first time ever on CD:
Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
The Time They Are A-Changin'
Another Side Of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde On Blonde
John Wesley Harding

-Each CD housed in a digipak, matching previous Bob Dylan reissues
-60 page, full color book with new liner notes, rare photos, memorabilia, discographical information and more
-Rigid slipcase to hold the 8 digipaks and book (measurements: 5.5”L x 3”W x 5”H)
Old 09-11-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Bob Dylan: The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964 (The Bootleg Series Vol. 9) - Oct. 19, 20

Bootleg Series Vol. 4 & 6 are some of my most played discs. I love this line and i'm glad they're continuing it. Still need to pick up Volume 8.

I'll look into the box set after reviews. my Dylan discs could use an upgrade...
Old 09-11-10, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Bob Dylan: The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964 (The Bootleg Series Vol. 9) - Oct. 19, 20

I'm not as fond of the earliest Dylan as I am the somewhat later stuff but I've got #1-8 and so I'll definitely be picking this up.

Geez, I really hope #10 might actually be the OFFICIAL "Basement Tapes" archive release after all these years.... ya think?
Old 09-11-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc View Post
I'm not as fond of the earliest Dylan as I am the somewhat later stuff but I've got #1-8 and so I'll definitely be picking this up.

Geez, I really hope #10 might actually be the OFFICIAL "Basement Tapes" archive release after all these years.... ya think?
I wouldn't think so about the basement tapes since they just released the remastered basement tapes in 2009, but I hope you are right
Old 09-29-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is an Amazon pre-order bonus if you buy Bootleg Series 9 on CD or Vinyl; and/or the Mono box set on CD or Vinyl.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B0040GJ312

"Amazon.com Pre-order Exclusive
Bob Dylan: In Concert, Brandeis University, 1963
Amazon.com is very excited to offer an extremely rare and newly discovered Bob Dylan live concert CD to all customers who pre-order The Bootleg Series Vol. 9 or The Original Mono Recordings on CD or vinyl.

Bob Dylan: In Concert, Brandeis University, 1963 has never been heard, bootlegged or circulated in any way. It was taped on May 10th, 1963, at Brandeis University’s first annual folk festival.

Pre-order The Witmark Demos: 1962-1964 (The Bootleg Series Vol. 9) on CD or vinyl, or The Original Mono Recordings on CD or vinyl today and you will receive this bonus CD with your shipment.

This offer is limited to pre-orders only and will not be available after 10/18/2010.
*Quantity limits per title may apply
Brandeis

Track Listing

* "Honey Just Allow Me One More Chance" (Incomplete)
* "Talkin’ John Birch Paranoid Blues"
* "The Ballad of Hollis Brown"
* "Masters of War"
* "Talkin’ World War Three Blues"
* "Bob Dylan’s Dream"
* "Talkin’ Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues""

Pretty cool offer to get a rare performance that's never been bootlegged (allegedly; What hasn't become a bootleg in Bob Dylan's career?) Too bad "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" wasn't performed because I would love to have another version than the one included in "Greatest Hits Vol.2"
Old 09-29-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own every Dylan album, so I'll definitely be getting this one. I'm sure I'll pre-order it in order to get the bonus disc, and I'll be seeing Dylan live in Cedar Falls, IA next month. That'll be my third time seeing him live, and I'm friggin' excited!
Old 10-19-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone given either of the sets a spin yet? I have the Witmark Demos waiting for me at home, via Amazon, and I'm really looking forward to listening to it tonight.
Old 10-19-10, 12:02 PM

The mono box set was supposed to be delivered today but the post office didn't deliver it with the rest of my mail.
Old 10-19-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Has anyone given either of the sets a spin yet? I have the Witmark Demos waiting for me at home, via Amazon, and I'm really looking forward to listening to it tonight.
Started the Witmark demos this morining. Good stuff!

Still amazes me how many high quality Dylan recordings are out there to fill up these "bootleg" releases. Pretty amazing artist over the last 60 years.
Old 10-19-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
The mono box set was supposed to be delivered today but the post office didn't deliver it with the rest of my mail.
I wish I could afford that set, but I'll probably have to hold off on it for a while.
Old 10-25-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw Dylan live tonight in Cedar Falls, Iowa and it was awesome. He played Blind Willie McTell, which was fantastic.