Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

John Lennon - Signature Box (10/05/10)

Old 09-05-10, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

John Lennon - Signature Box (10/05/10)

A deluxe 11CD collectors box with the remastered albums, rarities, and non-album singles, titled the John Lennon Signature Box

All of the remastered albums and collections will be available on CD and for download purchase from all major digital service providers

YOKO ONO said: “In this very special year, which would have seen my husband and life partner John reach the age of 70, I hope that this remastering / reissue programme will help bring his incredible music to a whole new audience. By remastering 121 tracks spanning his solo career, I hope also that those who are already familiar with John’s work will find renewed inspiration from his incredible gifts as a songwriter, musician and vocalist and from his power as a commentator on the human condition. His lyrics are as relevant today as they were when they were first written and I can think of no more apposite title for this campaign than those simple yet direct words 'Gimme Some Truth'.”

The albums have been digitally remastered from Lennon’s original mixes by Yoko Ono and a team of engineers led by Allan Rouse at EMI Music’s Abbey Road Studios in London and by George Marino at Avatar Studios in New York. All of the remastered titles will be packaged in digisleeves with replicated original album art and booklets with photos and new liner notes by noted British music journalist Paul Du Noyer. The albums to be reissued are:

• John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970)
• Imagine (1971)
• Some Time In New York City (1972)
• Mind Games (1973)
• Walls and Bridges (1974)
• Rock ‘n’ Roll (1975)
• Double Fantasy Stripped Down (2010) / Double Fantasy (1980)
• Milk and Honey (1984)
• Home Takes (Rarities & Non-Album Singles)

YOKO ONO added: “Double Fantasy Stripped Down really allows us to focus our attention on John’s amazing vocals. Technology has advanced so much that, conversely, I wanted to use new techniques to really frame these amazing songs and John's voice as simply as possible. By stripping down some of the instrumentation the power of the songs shines through with an enhanced clarity. Double Fantasy Stripped Down will be complemented by the original album in the 2CD format. It was whilst working on the new version of this album that I was hit hardest emotionally, as this was the last album John released before his passing."

http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Box-...3669790&sr=8-1

Has anyone else heard about this? Just stumbled across it today, first time I've heard of it. I'm sure I'll pick this up, will go nicely with my Beatles Set. I do wish though that for the sake of completeness they would have included Unfinished Music No. 1 & 2 and Wedding Album.
Old 09-05-10, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: John Lennon - Signature Box (10/05/10)

I'd heard about it. As i mentioned in the Darkness On The Edge Of Town thread, there is also a $90 Band On The Run set coming and around 20 non-Beatles Apple cds being reissued. At this time don't know if the Apple titles include solo Beatles.
Old 09-05-10, 12:47 PM

awsome
Old 09-05-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Considering the fact that this year marks the 30th anniversary of John's death, I'm really surprised that this set has received relatively little fanfare. This time last year, we were all anticipating the Beatles remastered box sets. Assuming that these remasters haven't fallen victim to the loudness wars, I'll be picking it up. Hopefully someone will have this set at a decent price. Maybe B&N will surprise us with a great coupon.
Old 09-05-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This set could be cool but I might just pick up some of the albums individually instead. I'm not hugely familiar with Lennon's solo career so I'm not sure I want to get the entire box.

Also I looked that Band on the Run set up. Seriously $90 for 3 CD's and a DVD?? That's ridiculous.
Old 09-05-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Considering the fact that this year marks the 30th anniversary of John's death, I'm really surprised that this set has received relatively little fanfare. This time last year, we were all anticipating the Beatles remastered box sets.
The difference is that there's a very wide gap between the consistent quality of The Beatles' albums and the scattershot quality of John's albums.

Looking at the tracklisting, it looks like they've removed all the bonus tracks from the fine 2002 remasters, which is odd. The bonus disc is supposedly the following:

Demos
1. Mother
2. Love
3. God
4. I Found Out
5. Nobody Told Me
6. Honey Don't
7. One Of The Boys
8. India, India
9. Serve Yourself
10. Isolation
11. Remember
12. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
13. I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die

Singles
14. Power To The People
15. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
16. Instant Karma!
17. Cold Turkey
18. Move Over Ms. L
19. Give Peace a Chance

Half of those demos were on the previous box set, I think, and all the singles can be found on damn near any Lennon compilation. Seems like a waste of money to me. I'll stick to the 2002 remasters.
Old 09-05-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I already have the 4-Disc LENNON box set released by EMI in 1990.
UPC: 077779522026 (I bought a used copy in excellent condition at Amazon for about $10.00.)

I also have brand new copies of:

• John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970)
• Imagine (1971)
• Mind Games (1973)

I've got some boots and d/ls of just about everything else.

This isn't a 'must buy' like last year's Beatles sets. I'm fairly satisfied with what I've already got, but if I could find this set for around a hundred bucks and change, it would be pretty hard not to take the plunge.
Old 09-05-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, if I already had his CDs I wouldn't pick this up, but since I've just heard him on old vinyls, online, and on the radio this is something I'll likely pick up, especially if I can find it on sale for a good price.
Old 09-05-10, 07:06 PM
Banned by request

The 2002 remasters were great and had bonus tracks. I have the rarities boxset, I have all the albums remastered, and I've got Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, and Mind Games on gold disc from MFSL, and Plastic Ono Band and Double Fantasy on vinyl. I don't need any of this again. I'll probably give the new mix of Double Fantasy a spin, but I'm sure I'll stick to the original release for regular listening.
Old 09-28-10, 12:28 AM
Banned by request

Well, crap. I just realized that the last batch of remasters were also remixes, and that I don't have several of those non-album singles remastered. Plus the version of Sometime In New York City that came out before was truncated, and this is the full version. Now I'm thinking about picking this up. For those who got the Box of Vision Beatles box (like myself), they're now doing a John Lennon one: http://www.boxofvision.com/johnlennon/

Given how great the Beatles Box of Vision is, I've ordered the Lennon Box of Vision even if I don't buy the box set (I'll just throw in the last set of CDs if I don't order the new set). If you do order the Lennon Box of Vision from musicspace, you can use the coupon code "SIMPLY5" to get $5 off.

Also, if you want all the music in the box set plus a digital booklet without worrying about buying the CDs, you can buy it all on Amazon the day it comes out for $65, which is less than half the price of the physical set.

Additionally, it appears as if Double Fantasy Stripped Down is NOT included with the box set (which is kind of mind boggling). The tracklist for the digital download does not including the Stripped Down mix, and someone on the Amazon forums actually contacted Yoko's PR people and got this response:

"'Double Fantasy Stripped Down' is not in the Signature Box. The remastered 'Double Fantasy' is in the box as one of the 8 remastered orig. albums."

The standalone Stripped Down release does include the original album on a second CD. The listing for the box set is 11 CDs, and Sometime In New York City is back at 2 CD's, so I guess Stripped Down really is absent from the box (from what I can gather the non-album singles are on their own CD, not included with the demos and rarities).

Edit: I just listened to sound clips of the Stripped Down mix. I think Yoko's done us a favor by leaving it out of the box.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-28-10 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-28-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could've sworn I read somewhere that the Double Fantasy Stripped down was included, but a quick look around now appears you're right.

I'm hoping this drops in price a little by release date, but if not I'm sure it'll go on sale eventually and I'll pick it up at that time.
Old 09-28-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't a fan of the Box Of Vision... that is to say, I loved the hardcover book with the album cover reproductions and the "Catalography". I would have bought those separately. The box itself is HUGE though, it doesn't hold the CDs that well, and it's a huge pain in the ass to access them once their secured inside. I keep the box on the shelf for display purposes but the CDs stay in their original packaging... which is odd, as I don't even play the CDs anyhow. FLACs through my media server into the soundsystem.

I think I'll definitely pass on the Lennon BoV. I'm buying the CD box set though, it looks like a nice package.
Old 09-28-10, 12:28 PM
Banned by request

I ordered the Signature Box from Amazon. I personally liked the Box of Vision on the whole. I also don't play much directly from CD, so to have them in an easy to browse package like that is nice. And in this case it looks like they've used even higher grade materials than the Beatles one, so it seems worth it to me.
Old 09-29-10, 12:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Considering the fact that this year marks the 30th anniversary of John's death, I'm really surprised that this set has received relatively little fanfare. This time last year, we were all anticipating the Beatles remastered box sets. Assuming that these remasters haven't fallen victim to the loudness wars, I'll be picking it up. Hopefully someone will have this set at a decent price. Maybe B&N will surprise us with a great coupon.
In the 80's they would have run print ads in ROLLING STONE and other top magazines.
Also would have run t.v. ads on MTV.
Radio stations would have run ads and some give away prizes.
Magazines and newspapers is a waste to advertize in.
The only best way would be to advertize on FOXNEWS during Glenn Beck hour to get the word out.
Old 10-04-10, 05:11 PM
Banned by request

Got my copy this morning, obligatory pics post:

The top book (the one that says "Yes") has an article by Anthony DeCurtis, and photos of Lennon, drawings by Lennon, handwritten notes, etc. The second booklet folds out and has write-ups from Yoko, Julian, and Sean.

There's a card for a login to a John Lennon website (the John Lennon Universe, which hasn't launched yet). There's also a pull-out panel at the bottom of the box which contains an art print.

The albums are in the same style as The Beatles remasters, fold-over cardboard with expanded liner notes.

It's a nice enough box, although the albums are just sitting in a styrofoam container inside. I'm looking forward to getting the Box of Vision so I can have the presentation match The Beatles remasters.

Also, I can confirm that this box does not contain the Double Fantasy stripped down mix. It's just the original album, which honestly is fine with me.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-04-10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on the fence between buying the box or just picking up the individual releases (with DF: Stripped too). I'm saving about 50 bucks if I forego the box and the disc of demos. Collectability aside, is there anything about the box that makes it a must purchase?
Old 10-04-10, 07:41 PM
Banned by request

The only benefit of the box, aside from getting everyone in one nice big package, is that it's the only way to get the original mix of Double Fantasy by itself with the original artwork. If you buy the individual releases, Double Fantasy comes with Stripped with different artwork. It's also, AFAIK, the only way to get the remastered versions of the singles (Give Peace A Chance, Power To The People, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Move Over Ms. L, and Instant Karma).
Old 10-04-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Suprmallet, do you mind my asking how much you paid for it? I really want to get the set, but I'm not feeling the $151 price tag Amazon has and considering the sales we've seen on The Beatles sets I'm leaning toward waiting, but obviously if I can get a decent deal now I'll bite.
Old 10-04-10, 08:44 PM
Banned by request

I paid the Amazon price. I can see waiting for a sale or something.
Old 10-04-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This set looks absolutely amazing... I definitely wouldn't mind getting it down the road sometime. I'll wait for a sale though.
Old 10-07-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the original CDs and the JL Anthology that came out many years back. Is there any compelling reason for me to spend $$'s on this? Is the sound of the tracks that much better? I'd much rather enjoy what I have and avoid the double or triple-dip. I already bought the Beatles remasters last year.
Old 10-07-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
The only benefit of the box, aside from getting everyone in one nice big package, is that it's the only way to get the original mix of Double Fantasy by itself with the original artwork. If you buy the individual releases, Double Fantasy comes with Stripped with different artwork. It's also, AFAIK, the only way to get the remastered versions of the singles (Give Peace A Chance, Power To The People, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Move Over Ms. L, and Instant Karma).
There's a separate release of the remastered hits in the new Power To The People: The Hits disc, so it's possible to get everything except the demos separately and cheaper. Still though, that's a sweet looking box.
Old 10-07-10, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

Well, there you go, although it seems like a waste to buy a whole greatest hits disc for five songs.
Old 10-07-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to just go the individual album route. So far I've picked up Milk and Honey and have received Imagine and Double Fantasy: Stripped Down as gifts. I'm likely going to get the rest soon.

I wonder since last year we saw The Beatles Remasters and now this year the John Lennon Remasters if there's any chance next year of the same treatment for Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, or George Harrison solo albums. I know this year we're getting Band on the Run from McCartney and the side bar on the front of the cover reads Paul McCartney Archive Collection.
Old 10-07-10, 04:15 PM
Banned by request

George Harrison's catalog has already been remastered. McCartney's is going through a remaster program now. Don't know if anyone cares enough to spend the money on Ringo's albums.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.