Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Blind Musical Taste Test #3 - Classic Rock

Old 08-28-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blind Musical Taste Test #3 - Classic Rock

Here's a song from the Classic Rock era that I doubt any of you have heard...

Thoughts on this one?

(Oops, looks like I had a typo and misnumbered this one on the thread title. Oh, well...)

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-28-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Blind Musical Taste Test #3 - Classic Rock

Old 08-28-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that was insightful...
Old 08-28-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that is generic.
Old 08-28-10, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Spoiler:
That's Blackfoot.

Sorry. Haven't listened to that album in years, might have to dust if off.

Last edited by The Cow; 08-28-10 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
That's *********.
Spoiler tag would have been nice. It's supposed to be a blind test....
Old 08-28-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a reason none of us have heard that. It sucks.
Old 08-28-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's ok. I wouldn't mind it in my ipod rotation. But I wouldn't play it specifically.
Old 08-28-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So many better songs I would have picked by this band. This is nowhere near one of my favorites by them, but then I guess the other choices may have likely given them away too easy.
Old 08-29-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This one feels like less of a blind test and more of a near-sighted test. I like the song. I have an inkling as to the band, but I'm fairly sure I never owned the album. It's good for what it is. I like a rock arrangement that's not just riffing and plodding. It sounds like a band playing together, and as simple as that sounds it's long since become a rarity in rock. Not that keen on the vocals, but I'd have to admit he's really belting it and not just posturing. But as the production places the song firmly in the '70s, it's hard to separate the nostalgia I might feel for the type of sound from the qualities of the song itself. Now, would I like to hear a band attempting this sound in 2010? Hell no, I hate when bands try to slavishly recreate a style instead of developing their own - especially when the original is readily available. You can't help but feel that music has moved past this sound, for better and for worse.
Old 08-29-10, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think this is just terrible. I have a folder of Mp3 tunes I named Classucks. Songs that I liked as a kid on classic rock radio that are not very good, but I have fun hearing on a lark and going back to a certain time. I have this band's two "hits" in that folder, but it's not really fun listening. I never want to hear this again.
Old 08-29-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
There's a reason none of us have heard that. It sucks.
I'm guessing it's a filler track from one of **********'s (look at the spoiler above) later albums after they lost some key members, or from an album recorded recently that they use to bore people at their live shows.
Old 08-29-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never heard of the band but, if this song is any indication, they're terrible.
Old 08-29-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The song was from a 1976 album that was recorded for a smaller label, they went on to a major label deal and a couple minor hit albums after that.

I knew when I posted this that the hardest thing for some people to do is put themselves in the mindset of 1976. Listening to the song and appreciating it for what it brought to the table at the time is hard to do - especially for people who were either very small children then or weren't even born yet. It's hard to remember what exactly came before and what came after. It's even harder to listen to it with that 1976 mindset as apposed to a 2010 mindset.

My take on it is this - it'a a solid, dynamic song with a very strong vocal. The drumming is excellent, and the band plays very well together - they sound like a tight band that has played together for quite a while (which, at that point, they hadn't).
Old 08-29-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure I saw this band open for the Who back in 1980. They must have shared the same management because they were an awful band.
Old 08-29-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll say this much about this band - the lead guitarist/lead vocalist has been in Lynyrd Skynyrd for the last 10 years or so...
Old 08-29-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was going to guess Neversoft
Old 08-29-10, 01:55 PM
Banned by request

I liked it. It wasn't amazing, but it had a nice groove to it that I could get into. But I like those mid-70's easy rock jams (by easy I mean it just seems like the band cranks these things out, not easy listening).
Old 08-29-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I knew when I posted this that the hardest thing for some people to do is put themselves in the mindset of 1976. Listening to the song and appreciating it for what it brought to the table at the time is hard to do - especially for people who were either very small children then or weren't even born yet. It's hard to remember what exactly came before and what came after. It's even harder to listen to it with that 1976 mindset as apposed to a 2010 mindset.
I disagree. It sounds crappy because it is crappy, even compared to "classic rock" from the same year. The first Boston album came out in 1976 and still sounds terrific. Bob Seger put out "Night Moves" which is a five star record by any measure. Queen's "Day at the Races", Tom Petty's first album, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple etc, etc. All stand the test of time.

Also, tons of other stuff was happening in 1976 that still sounds fresh today. You don't have to put yourself into a "1976 mindset" to enjoy the first Ramones album, which came out that year. Bowie was deep into his Berlin phase with Eno and was about to reintroduce Iggy Pop to the world. Funk and R+B were at all time highs with the Meters, Stevie Wonder, P-Funk, Ohio Players etc all at the top of their games. Krautrock was at a high point with Amon Duul 2, Neu, Can and Kraftwerk all releasing hugely influential records. Willie Nelson released "Red Headed Stranger" and brought the concept album to country. The Sex Pistols and the Buzzcocks were breaking in England.
Old 08-29-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I disagree. It sounds crappy because it is crappy, even compared to "classic rock" from the same year. The first Boston album came out in 1976 and still sounds terrific. Bob Seger put out "Night Moves" which is a five star record by any measure. Queen's "Day at the Races", Tom Petty's first album, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple etc, etc. All stand the test of time.

Also, tons of other stuff was happening in 1976 that still sounds fresh today. You don't have to put yourself into a "1976 mindset" to enjoy the first Ramones album, which came out that year. Bowie was deep into his Berlin phase with Eno and was about to reintroduce Iggy Pop to the world. Funk and R+B were at all time highs with the Meters, Stevie Wonder, P-Funk, Ohio Players etc all at the top of their games. Krautrock was at a high point with Amon Duul 2, Neu, Can and Kraftwerk all releasing hugely influential records. Willie Nelson released "Red Headed Stranger" and brought the concept album to country. The Sex Pistols and the Buzzcocks were breaking in England.
You're talking about the cream of the crop. I'm talking about what you'd hear on the radio and what you'd find in the record shop that made up the other 95% of what came out around that time. I remember hearing tons of stuff in 1976 that isn't played anymore. Some of it good, some of it not so good.

This is just straightforward Rock. You seem to want more artsy stuff, and that's fine - but there is a place for straightforward Rock.
Old 08-29-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't see the video, but if it's the band that is spoilerized, they were all Native Americans. Don't know when they started but in late 70s, after the first minor hit, they were catagorized with the southern rock bands. Reminded me of Molly Hatchet more than anything else. Saw them at big outdoor stadium show called "The Round-Up" with ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, .38 Special and Marshal Tucker Band.
Old 08-29-10, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

This is just straightforward Rock. You seem to want more artsy stuff, and that's fine - but there is a place for straightforward Rock.
Yeah! Go fuck your arty--and totally awesome--music!

And while I liked the taste test track, I'd gladly never listen to it again if it meant more music like the kind Hiro listed.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-29-10 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-29-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're being asinine. Just because something is straightforward rock doesn't make it good straightforward rock.
Old 08-29-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This sounds like Bad Company (I know it's not) or something like that they would play to death on classic rock stations. I didn't care for it.
Old 08-29-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
I can't see the video, but if it's the band that is spoilerized, they were all Native Americans. Don't know when they started but in late 70s, after the first minor hit, they were catagorized with the southern rock bands.
Could be because they were from Jacksonville, FL. Seems like a logical association.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.