Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Blind Musical Taste Test #3 - Classic Rock

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Blind Musical Taste Test #3 - Classic Rock

Old 08-29-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: Blind Musical Taste Test #3 - Classic Rock

Originally Posted by starman9000
You're being asinine. Just because something is straightforward rock doesn't make it good straightforward rock.
Look, I just thought that these, "Blind taste tests," would be fun. There have been some really negative posts that have been belittling and condescending in nature that have just about sucked the fun right out of the threads.

I'd be willing to bet that you aren't a huge fan of straightforward Rock. You may like some, you may not - but from the bands listed on this thread some people's true passions lie elsewhere. My passion lies with straightforward Rock. I also happen to like some Jazz and Blues. We all have different tastes. I like stuff you and others don't, and other people here like stuff that I don't. The stuff anyone else likes isn't any better than the stuff that I like and vice versa.

But if I went into a thread like this and wasn't a big fan of the style being played and I hated the song I'd just say, "It's not my thing," or politely explain what it is about the song that I didn't like and leave it at that. I certainly wouldn't belittle the song selection or fans of that band.

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-29-10 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-29-10, 09:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Constructive criticism for B5Erik (just my opinion):

1. This is a really great idea for a series of threads, and so far I've enjoyed the variety of picks.

2. You need to take a step back, you're taking these threads personally and I'm not sure why.

3. My suggestion, as host you should only post the initial video, and then after a set # of posts or time has past, reveal who the band is, and some history of the record. You don't need to be a defense attorney for the songs, by responding to comments in any way you're sort of defeating the purpose of the thread.
Old 08-29-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Constructive criticism for B5Erik (just my opinion):

1. This is a really great idea for a series of threads, and so far I've enjoyed the variety of picks.

2. You need to take a step back, you're taking these threads personally and I'm not sure why.

3. My suggestion, as host you should only post the initial video, and then after a set # of posts or time has past, reveal who the band is, and some history of the record. You don't need to be a defense attorney for the songs, by responding to comments in any way you're sort of defeating the purpose of the thread.
1. Thank you.

2. I'm trying to pick songs that are interesting, are good examples of a given genre, and have gotten good responses either critically or from the bands' fan bases.

Here's why I've commented on them - The threads are supposed to be fun, not mean spirited. If all the comments are negative - really negative - then I'm going to explain the other side since no one else is doing it.

3. If all the comments are negative and just bashing the song, that defeats the purpose of the threads, too. It's supposed to be a give and take, back and forth exchange. If the comments are almost universally harsh on the negative side then that's defeating the purpose more than my comments ever could.

On topic - What did you think about the song?
Old 08-29-10, 09:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not bad, but ultimately forgettable. It reminded me of one of those "fake" songs somebody might write for a fictional classic rock band in a movie.
Old 08-30-10, 01:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
3. If all the comments are negative and just bashing the song, that defeats the purpose of the threads, too. It's supposed to be a give and take, back and forth exchange. If the comments are almost universally harsh on the negative side then that's defeating the purpose more than my comments ever could.
Since we're not meant to know the band in question, all we can do is give our honest answer based on the music. If everyone unanimously thinks it sucks, then that's how the answers will play out. Even if someone out and out HATES a track, I don't think that them saying so diminishes what you've been doing by posting them, as clearly a lot of us are enjoying this.

I'd say this is true of any thread, but especially ones like these: You have to let them grow organically. Trying to wrestle people into responding a certain way is just going to make people not want to participate.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Not bad, but ultimately forgettable. It reminded me of one of those "fake" songs somebody might write for a fictional classic rock band in a movie.
This is my favorite fake song for a movie, but written for a real band:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2RItLuDPY8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2RItLuDPY8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-30-10, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be willing to bet that you aren't a huge fan of straightforward Rock. You may like some, you may not - but from the bands listed on this thread some people's true passions lie elsewhere.
Why in the world would you be willing to bet that? Because somebody else in the thread likes lots of music from 1976?

Seriously, if you aren't looking for honest feedback, there are already threads in here where you can post what you are listening to now.
Old 08-30-10, 12:50 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I was 13 in 1976 (and lived in Kentucky), so I had to listen to this lame-ass shit on the radio every day. You want some excellent, "straightforward" (whatever the hell that means) rock from 1976:

Still one of the best rock albums ever.
Old 08-30-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Just looking at the cover causes this to happen in my brain:
Sick as a dog
What's your story
Sick as a dog
Cat got your tongue?
Old 08-30-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're talking about the cream of the crop. I'm talking about what you'd hear on the radio and what you'd find in the record shop that made up the other 95% of what came out around that time. I remember hearing tons of stuff in 1976 that isn't played anymore. Some of it good, some of it not so good.

This is just straightforward Rock. You seem to want more artsy stuff, and that's fine - but there is a place for straightforward Rock.
Now I'm totally confused as to the point of this thread. You asked for an opinion on a song. People responded and said that it sounds like dated generic hard rock. You then said that this was because people weren't getting into a "1976 mindset". I then made the point that there's plenty of music, even standard "classic rock" from 1976 that doesn't sound generic or dated and doesn't require any shift in mindset. Now you're saying... I'm not actually sure what your saying... that the music I suggested is too good?

Also, Boston, Bob Seger, and Tom Petty are "more arty stuff"? Que?
Old 08-30-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what to make of all of this at this point.

I guess my problem is that I hoped that some of you would actually enjoy the songs I posted them. They all come from my personal collection, so I really dig all of them. I find it hard to believe at this point that anything I post will go over all that well with this crowd - at least not the stuff that you haven't already heard and are very familiar with. (I'm sure I've got plenty of well known stuff that a lot of you like, but the lesser known, more obscure stuff just doesn't seem to be cutting it for you.) I thought I had more in common with some of you when it comes to musical tastes than I apparently do.

I just wanted to come up with something new, something different, and something fun for all of us. From day one when X accused me of trying to break the rules this hasn't been much fun for me. It's been very disappointing.

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-31-10 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-02-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my problem is that I hoped that some of you would actually enjoy the songs I posted them. They all come from my personal collection, so I really dig all of them. I find it hard to believe at this point that anything I post will go over all that well with this crowd - at least not the stuff that you haven't already heard and are very familiar with. (I'm sure I've got plenty of well known stuff that a lot of you like, but the lesser known, more obscure stuff just doesn't seem to be cutting it for you.) I thought I had more in common with some of you when it comes to musical tastes than I apparently do.
You shouldn't worry about that at all. I've heard posters on this forum bust a sugar frosted nut over what sounds to me like the most soulless, warmed over, by-the-numbers "indie" rock possible. I accept that I have almost no common ground with the prevailing musical tastes of this forum and it doesn't really matter. I like to hear music that is new to me and to hear people talk passionately about music that they like, even if it's music that I don't. So carry on, and don't give too much credence about what most of us think - including me.
Old 09-03-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

nothing special but i dont think it half as bad as some are saying. just sounds like simple 70's rock.
Old 09-03-10, 10:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know what to make of all of this at this point.

I just wanted to come up with something new, something different, and something fun for all of us. From day one when X accused me of trying to break the rules this hasn't been much fun for me. It's been very disappointing.
I think you're focusing on the negatives. A few people (myself included) liked this song, and some of the songs have gotten very good responses (the jazz one, the early rock one). There's no accounting for taste, and these threads reflect that.
Old 09-05-10, 12:52 PM

love it
Old 09-15-10, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Heard on the radio these guys are coming to town with who else?...Molly Hatchet.