Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cee-Lo Green Is the Lady Killer - October (w/ awesome new single "F*** You")

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Cee-Lo Green Is the Lady Killer - October (w/ awesome new single "F*** You")

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cee-Lo Green Is the Lady Killer - October (w/ awesome new single "F*** You")

Originally Posted by auto
December 7th! Geez, that's a helluva wait for an album that has a lot of good buzz right now. Guess they're pushing the single sales.
Probably. I'm going to try to stay away from too many of the singles, though, so that I won't be burned out on them by the time the album comes out...
Old 09-02-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Cee-Lo Green Is the Lady Killer - October (w/ awesome new single "F*** You")

Howard Stern was bashing this song today. Basically, he was saying what's the big deal? The only reason people like the song is because they are immature and they think that hearing "fuck you" in a song makes it cool. I agree...somehwat. I don't understand the admiration of the song. Most people would not care about it without the swearing.
Old 09-02-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Howard Stern was bashing this song today. Basically, he was saying what's the big deal? The only reason people like the song is because they are immature and they think that hearing "fuck you" in a song makes it cool. I agree...somehwat. I don't understand the admiration of the song. Most people would not care about it without the swearing.
Howard Stern is one to talk about people being immature and liking things because of vulgar language or taboo subject matter. Seriously? At least Cee-Lo sings and produces. What does Howard Stern really do?

I personally like the song, but I can see why some people might not. I don't think him saying "fuck you" is what makes it popular though. It's just a well-constructed pop song with catchy lyrics and a good beat.
Old 09-02-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh, I mean it's a cute song and all but I liked Lily Allen's "Fuck You" better.
Old 09-03-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not fine art. It's just a catchy, funny, care-free song. I'll take this cotton candy song over most of the drivel that Gaga & K. Perry are dishing out these days.
Old 09-03-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The thing that's great about his delivery on the chorus is how nonchalant he sounds but you hear the heartache at the same time. That's the mark of great soul and rock singing. Something you don't hear a lot of these days.
Old 09-04-10, 11:30 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

there must be at least 3 versions he recorded because i just heard on satellite another variation..."F.U.".
Old 09-07-10, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by windom
Are we really taking Howie's opinion on music though? He hated the song without even listening to it. I don't think the guy has listened to anything since Crosby, Stills, and Nash put out their last album.
Old 09-07-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Howard Stern is one to talk about people being immature and liking things because of vulgar language or taboo subject matter. Seriously? At least Cee-Lo sings and produces. What does Howard Stern really do?
What does Stern do? He single handedly changed the way Radio works, he wrote 2 #1 books, his movie and soundtrack both went to #1, he forced 2 satelite radio companies to merge, he's been the most vocal advocate for free speech rights in my life time.

So what has Cee-Lo done again? Wrote and produced some pop songs?
Old 09-07-10, 09:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I just listened to this song for the first time. I was kinda sorta avoiding it because of all the hype. I personally found it to be sub-par. Really nothing special at all, especially for Cee-Lo.

Old 09-16-10, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_hBDPgEM_Y0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_hBDPgEM_Y0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-17-10, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07
So what has Cee-Lo done again?
More than you? And what's with all the Stern loving?

/sarcasm

It's Stern's right not to like the song but if he and anyone aren't feeling it, then don't bother listening to it. How hard is that to do?
Old 09-17-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
More than you? And what's with all the Stern loving?

/sarcasm

It's Stern's right not to like the song but if he and anyone aren't feeling it, then don't bother listening to it. How hard is that to do?
I don't have a problem with Stern not liking the song, I actually disagree with him. My problem was with kstublen saying that Stern hasn't done anything.

One of my favorite bands covered F.U. a couple weeks ago, thought they did a pretty good job.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8sDcwQs2ess?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8sDcwQs2ess?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-17-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I just listened to this song for the first time. I was kinda sorta avoiding it because of all the hype. I personally found it to be sub-par. Really nothing special at all, especially for Cee-Lo.

It's funny reading this from you and looking at your Justin Bieber avatar at the same time.
Old 09-18-10, 02:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

fixed my avatar to show my support for equal opportunity of over-hyped crap.
Old 09-18-10, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're just a cheerful chap, aren't you?
Old 09-18-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What does Stern do? He single handedly changed the way Radio works, he wrote 2 #1 books, his movie and soundtrack both went to #1, he forced 2 satelite radio companies to merge, he's been the most vocal advocate for free speech rights in my life time.
You missed my real point. You focused on my question as to what he has done, and ignored the first part of my argument. The two go hand-in-hand.

My point was that Howard Stern was being hypocritical in his criticism, saying that "the only reason people like the song is because they are immature and they think that hearing "fuck you" in a song makes it cool." This is a guy that became famous for his over-the-top antics and vulgarity. People liked him for the very same reasons he is now deriding Cee-Lo's song. I find that very hypocritical.

It's like, "Hey everyone, listen to me be vulgar and obscene on the air and make fun of weird looking people and midgets and ask girls to show me their breasts...I'm cool and edgy...but this song with "Fuck You" in the title is just a gimmick." Seriously?

But even if we want to talk about what Howard Stern has done...he's just a radio personality, plain and simple. All he's done is sit on the radio and talk about taboo subjects, use vulgarities, and exploit people in a sensationalist manner. If people enjoy that, then fine. I don't hold it against anyone if they enjoy that type of entertainment. Him writing two books? *yawn* Anyone can write a book these days. As far as his movie and soundtrack...I wouldn't really rely on box office results or album sales to judge artistic talent.

So what has Cee-Lo done again? Wrote and produced some pop songs?
You say that Howard Stern has completely changed the way radio works, and maybe you're right, but then you casually dismiss Cee-Lo's extensive career. He didn't start out as a pop star, but an underground hip hop artist with Goodie Mob. Goodie Mob, along with OutKast, helped to revitalize and revolutionize Southern Hip Hop. He helped give legitimacy to Hip Hop as an art form and was at the forefront of combining Hip Hop and R&B/Soul. Goodie Mob was one of the more socially conscious groups back in their day and Cee-Lo has continually pushed the boundaries of his artistry, whether it be with Goodie Mob, as a solo artist, or with Danger Mouse as Gnarls Barkley.

And at the end of the day, I would say that Cee-Lo has more talent than Howard Stern, which is also what I was getting at initially. Pretty easy for Howard Stern to just sit around talking (especially when people often times write stuff for him to say), whereas it takes a lot more talent for Cee-Lo to write, produce, and sing.
Old 11-03-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

The whole album is slated to come out next Tuesday (Nov. 9).

The "Forget You" version does sound stupid. The album includes both versions, so that's a positive.
Old 11-03-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best Buy will apparently have two bonus tracks on the album.
Old 11-03-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the tracklist per wikipedia (song followed by producer):

1. "Lady Killer Theme (Intro)" Grey Area 1:37
2. "Bright Lights Bigger City" Ben H. Allen,Co-Produced By Graham Marsh 3:38
3. "Fuck You!" The Smeezingtons 3:43
4. "Wildflower" Fraser T. Smith 4:02
5. "Bodies" Salaam Remi 3:43
6. "Love Gun" (featuring Lauren Bennett) Cee Lo Green,Co-Produced By Salaam Remi 3:20
7. "Satisfied" Fraser T. Smith 3:26
8. "I Want You" Fraser T. Smith & Jack Splash 3:36
9. "Cry Baby" Fraser T. Smith 3:27
10. "Fool For You" (featuring Philip Bailey) Jack Splash 3:40
11. "It's OK" ELEMENT,Co-Produced By Paul Epworth 3:46
12. "Old Fashioned" Alan Nglish,Co-Produced By Salaam Remi 3:24
13. "No One's Gonna Love You" Paul Epworth 3:29
14. "The Lady Killer Theme (Outro)" Grey Area 0:58

No "Forget You" so that's good. Bummer we don't get "Georgia".
Old 11-03-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The tracklist according to Best Buy:

01.) The Lady Killer Theme (Intro)
02.) Bright Lights, Bigger City
03.) Forget You
04.) Wildflower
05.) Bodies
06.) Please feat. Selah Sue
07.) Satisfied
08.) I Want You
09.) Cry Baby
10.) Fool For You feat. Phillip Bailey
11.) It's OK
12.) Old Fashioned
13.) The Lady Killer Theme (Outro)
14.) Fuck You
15.) Red Hot Lover [Best Buy Bonus Track]
16.) Grand Canyon [Best Buy Bonus Track]
Old 11-03-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NPR is streaming the album and it follows wikipedia's tracklist. Those are the Best Buy bonus tracks though. Time will tell I guess.
Old 11-03-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perhaps Forget You is just a general bonus track? Definitely disappointing that Georgia isn't on there though.
Old 11-04-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I think the album stays up on NPR until it comes out.

That being said. I was blown away by this album. Cee Lo is in top form from start to finish.

This is one of the best soul/R&B albums I've heard in a long, long time. I can't even pick out one song that I didn't like (although the intro and outro are unnecessary).

I'll definitely be picking up the Best Buy version with the 2 bonus tracks.
Old 11-08-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've already listened to this three or four times, and it's amazing. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. I gotta say, though, that Best Buy listing is either wrong or different from everywhere else. I can't find another copy that has that listing anywhere, and it's missing "Love Gun", which is amazing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.